Thread: Anonymizing proxies

Anonymizing proxies

As a step to forestall ongoing spamming attempts, we are going to block a whole host of anonymizing proxies in the near future. If you are using such and suddenly find yourself unable to access the forum, that's why.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Question

ToSeek: I think my aol locally uses a proxy, how would I know if it is anonymous??

Dale in Alabama

Try using http://tools-on.net/privacy.shtml. If you see all kinds of alarming information like your IP, Processor, computer's time, etc. you are not anonymous.

I believe that aol uses a cluster meaning most users share addy's but your are only anonymous because you are "in the pack".

(edit - left out the word Not)
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Solfe: I get the "lost session" message, and cannot get the tool to work...I have tried to re-enter the site, but I get the same message...maybe the firewall is doing it??

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Try using http://tools-on.net/privacy.shtml. If you see all kinds of alarming information like your IP, Processor, computer's time, etc. you are not anonymous.

I believe that aol uses a cluster meaning most users share addy's but your are only anonymous because you are "in the pack".

(edit - left out the word Not)
    Just for your info, that site crashes Firefox 5.0 really badly, tried three times and it shut down Firefox every time
    Zonealarms old site has a similar tester as well, haven't tried it yet tho with this version of Firefox
    R.I.P. Bad Astronomy

Quote Originally Posted by vonmazur View Post
    ToSeek: I think my aol locally uses a proxy, how would I know if it is anonymous??

Dale in Alabama
    It's highly unlikely that AOL's proxy anonymizes.

You'd normally have to set up use of one explicitly, so anyone using one would know about it.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vonmazur View Post
    AOL and large ISPs that IP share are not affected by this. If you aren't 100% sure you're using an anonymizing proxy, you aren't using one.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Sorry my link is causing problems. I liked it and thought it would be helpful, but maybe that is the wrong tool. Sorry again.

On the upside, it appears you shouldn't have an issue based on what the others have said.

What I found running a website accessed by AOL users is that the AOL proxy servers have several people using one IP addy. Of course, this is rarely an issue unless someone designs a website to serve files to a particular IP addy the site itself picks up. If you do that, you can have problems. 11 AOL people would click download at about the same time and one or two of them would get the wrong files. Fun.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Sorry my link is causing problems. I liked it and thought it would be helpful, but maybe that is the wrong tool. Sorry again.
    It has just worked fine for me.

Anonymizing proxies are useful for really really sensitive sites, eg providing a safe way to post for people from countries with a very restrictive regime. Such issues don't apply to BAUT IMHO, and if you post stuff that might get you in trouble when the police comes knocking with a warrant to get your IP, you probably shouldn't have posted it here in the first place. In my experience administrating several kinds of servers and websites, anonymizing proxies are mainly used to "get away" with bad behaviour, or to get around bans. No great loss.

Quote Originally Posted by boppa View Post
    Just for your info, that site crashes Firefox 5.0 really badly, tried three times and it shut down Firefox every time
    No issues with my Firefox 5.0, perhaps it's a plugin you use?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Possibly an addon is responsible, just tried again and as soon as it started to open something that looks like `Results of' or something like that (flashes VERY briefly on the screen) then it just closes down.

All I got running in addons is adblock plus 1.3.8, betterprivaxcy 1.5.1, Flashblock 1.5.14.2, Java console 6.0.26 and Taco with Abine 4.0

(Actually I am glad I looked, since the upgrade to FF5, I know my linkification addon hasn't worked, but I noticed my network hosts has also been disabled), shouldn't be too bad tho as I have a edited hosts file already)

This is my work computer, which is only `lightly' secured, I'll have a go from my home computer later... It's serious about it's security and see if your link works (and if it can crack my walls) ;-)
    R.I.P. Bad Astronomy

The anonymizing proxy IP addresses have been added to the block list. If you can read this, you're not affected.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Well guys; Still here, now to fix the settings on some other boards that will not let me on....I am a moderator on one or two, and since the tornado in April aol has been using patches and quick fixes, some of which are not working as intended. They tried to help, but to no avail. Some kind of proxy/spam/security issue on those sites...I needed a break anyhow and the other guys can handle the posts!!

Dale

Dale,

At what point do you fail to have abilities on these other sites? Is it after log in or before? It might be worth the effort to try to skip you browser cache by pressing ctrl-f5 at the same time for IE and Firefox. For Safari, shift and reload does the same.

This skips the cached info for the site and may allow you in. This is slightly better than clearing the browser cache, it is more specific to the one site and doesn't clear out all kinds of stuff you might want.

Besides, I think every time an IT person says "clear the cache", it sounds more like "Ok, I have no idea why you are doing this to me, but try clearing the cache before speaking to me again."

Phil
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Set Fazors to stun!
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Anonymizing proxies are useful for really really sensitive sites, eg providing a safe way to post for people from countries with a very restrictive regime. Such issues don't apply to BAUT IMHO, and if you post stuff that might get you in trouble when the police comes knocking with a warrant to get your IP, you probably shouldn't have posted it here in the first place. In my experience administrating several kinds of servers and websites, anonymizing proxies are mainly used to "get away" with bad behaviour, or to get around bans. No great loss.
    In my experience, proxies (that is, the proxies the local web watchers haven't discovered yet) are vital to accessing certain sites from certain places, regardless of the content posted, or whether any post is made at all. Also in my experience, this particular site has become a lot tougher for me to access in the last few days.

Hi ToSeek ,

I haven't been visiting BAUT for a long while , and now I'm back and a lot have changed here .
    My question is , I am currently experiencing ( 2 days in a row) that my IP address is banned after I signed in and was Idle for a several hours . I am accessing Baut here in my office , I am not a techy person so I don't know if I'm using proxy here at work or maybe I am because I get this notice that my IP has banned by Admin?

Whirlpool, please go to What Is My IP and PM me with your IP. I'll have a look.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.