Thread: Whatever happened to OTRAG?

Whatever happened to OTRAG?

The most recent information I could find came from 2006: 1,2. Anyone know what's been happening with this design more recently?
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

OTRAG was killed decades ago, because France and the USSR didn't want West Germany developing rocket technology.

Its successor technology has never really got off the ground (no pun intended). I assume you are thinking of these guys:

http://www.interorbital.com/

who are universally considered clowns by people in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Damburger View Post
    I assume you are thinking of these guys:

http://www.interorbital.com/

who are universally considered clowns by people in the industry.
    Why?
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. Gregory Benford

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why?
    You saw the website, right?

A few years ago, they promised to put the 'first teenager in space' - not only is this a horridly irresponsible thing to contemplate, the individual they chose is now in his late twenties....

You saw the website, right?

A few years ago, they promised to put the 'first teenager in space' - not only is this a horridly irresponsible thing to contemplate, the individual they chose is now in his late twenties....
    A few years ago many site/company said they could win the X prize , only one had serious chance of winning it. And so what ?

OK, so their advertising sucks, what about the viability of their design?

Why?
    they have a long way to go in the field of acronym usage, which is really important with these things.

Seriously, I'm interested in whether the concept is viable from an engineering point of view. (Taking into account the fact that almost no R&D has been put into it since the 80s.) If it was taken seriously and researched a little more, would it live up to the original tests?

This has been updated some time ago with more photos for folks wondering what is being talked about here.
    http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/otrag.htm

A quote from Mark Wade's site above:

"Parallel staging allowed very large payload diameters up to 30 m and thrust acceleration to be limited to a maximum of 3 g to allow lighter payload and space vehicle structures."

That would allow these types of spacecraft: http://www.astronautix.com/fam/lenicles.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTRAG

This subject is certainly a blast from
    the past, I remember reading about it
    more than 30 years ago. It was amusing
    to see that they designed the modules
    with car windscreen wiper moters as
    actuators next to the nozzels.

But the OPs first link indicates
    development was successful with many
    sub-orbital launches. So why not a
    small LEO launch? Just to demonstrate
    an order of magnitude reduction in
    cost doing so? We are not being told
    something here, right?

What you are not being told (or choosing not to hear) is that the concept isn't particularly good and the people behind it are basically clowns.

What you are not being told (or choosing not to hear) is that the concept isn't particularly good and the people behind it are basically clowns.
    I was told about the clowns; I wasn't told that the concept wasn't good or particularly why it wasn't good, other than that it's currently in the hands of clowns. I want to know the engineering basis for why it isn't good (it was successful enough to tick off France, and that's always a good start).

I was told about the clowns; I wasn't told that the concept wasn't good or particularly why it wasn't good, other than that it's currently in the hands of clowns. I want to know the engineering basis for why it isn't good (it was successful enough to tick off France, and that's always a good start).
    I'm noy quite getting why this is a bad concept either. This description of it from one the astronautix.com article:

Kayser's concept involved the parallel clustering of large numbers of identical propellant tank and rocket engine modules. This allowed the application of mass production techniques as used in the automobile industry.
    Rather reminds of the approach SpaceX has adopted with the Falcon 9, and that works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Rather reminds of the approach SpaceX has adopted with the Falcon 9, and that works quite well.
    The Falcon 9 seems to me more inspired by the highly successful R7 rocket family, in almost all respects ranging from fuel/oxidizer to integration to engine type to basic production philosophy. The big difference is going with stacked stages with simple cylindrical construction rather than the R7's unique clustering method and resulting conical construction. That strange aspect of the R7's design is an accident of circumstances and design decisions which made sense at the time.

OTRAG is a radical departure from traditional rocket booster designs. I really like the basic idea of clustering lots of tall small diameter units, but it isn't suitable for cryogenic propellants like LOX. This means using lower performance propellants. The other big difference is the use of pressure fed thrusters. This requires heavier propellant tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo View Post
    OTRAG is a radical departure from traditional rocket booster designs. I really like the basic idea of clustering lots of tall small diameter units, but it isn't suitable for cryogenic propellants like LOX. This means using lower performance propellants. The other big difference is the use of pressure fed thrusters. This requires heavier propellant tanks.
    Could that be resolved by using larger clusters? I've only seen a test example with 4 stacks of modules.

Could that be resolved by using larger clusters? I've only seen a test example with 4 stacks of modules.
    Those aren't 4 stacks of modules. They're 4 modules, period. Each module is the entire height of the booster, above which the payload is placed (as well as a disposable aerodynamic faring).

OTRAG, with its massive rocket clusters, reminds me of a liquid fuel version of the British Interplanetary Society moon rocket from the 30'sand 40's. Since OTRAG was cancelled for political and not engineering or scientific reasons, it is definitely an idea I want revived and reconsidered.