Thread: How many office suites are out there?

Question How many office suites are out there?

The two "mainstream office suites" are MS Office and Libre Office/Open Office; others may include Star Office, Gnome Office (Abiword and Gnumeric, but I found Abiword's lack of functionality is fairly appalling).
    Corel Office Suite is dead, I believe.....
    It seems we are left with very few alternatives as far as office software is concern.

I use Lotus SmartSuite from IBM. It has a version for OS/2 (now called eComStation), which is the operating system I use.
    Last edited by Celestial Mechanic; 2011-May-20 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Clarification

there's also the google documents which is free and works on any browser. There is a spreadsheet editor with graphics/statistics functions, wordprocessor, presentation, etc. All are extremely user-friendly for something that is put up with web tools.

I can't answer, but when I saw the thread title, I thought you meant physical office suites! Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor
    I can't answer, but when I saw the thread title, I thought you meant physical office suites! Heh.
    Ok, I should rephrase it better: Office Software Suite.
    We most likely stick to what we familiar with.

Hi. Wikipedia is your friend.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Thank you! The fact is that people stick with the popular and familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Inclusa View Post
    Thank you! The fact is that people stick with the popular and familiar.
    And with stuff others can read. And what the company gets talked into buying.

With my new laptop came Windows 7/Word 2010. The latter almost scares me in that there are so many ways to mess up a document.

The two "mainstream office suites" are MS Office and Libre Office/Open Office; others may include Star Office, Gnome Office (Abiword and Gnumeric, but I found Abiword's lack of functionality is fairly appalling).
    Corel Office Suite is dead, I believe.....
    It seems we are left with very few alternatives as far as office software is concern.
    About 1.5 bazillion, most of which no one has ever heard of, mostly because they have no advertising budget and because they suck.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Don't forget AppleWorks and Claris works! I have copies of each, but still use MS Office 2000 on my mac.

I have OpenOffice on every machine capable of running it. I can't stand the "ribbon" theme they slapped on the newer versions of Office. As soon as they go back to menus, I will likely start using it again.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe
    I have OpenOffice on every machine capable of running it. I can't stand the "ribbon" theme they slapped on the newer versions of Office. As soon as they go back to menus, I will likely start using it again.
    Open Office is probably renamed Libre Office, I believe.
    The same here! I use Excel 2007 at one office, but is generally dissatisfied with the "ribbon theme"; you just can't find the usual menu anymore.

Oh, man is that ribbon design terrible and the way information is presented is worse. The first time I used MS Office at school, someone had to walk me thru printing. They said "Click File and Print." Simple enough, but the screen that appears when clicking file looks exactly like the start screen. I though I lost everything.

I found the easiest way to use the Windows machines at school is to unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse and plug them into my Linux laptop. I found a machine right behind the printer that no one uses due to the noise. I am so tempted to bring my own LAN cable and plug my laptop directly into the printer so I never have to use the windows machines. I am that bold, but I can't help but notice how many people hit print and close out Word without saving so I haven't tried it yet.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe
    Oh, man is that ribbon design terrible and the way information is presented is worse. The first time I used MS Office at school, someone had to walk me thru printing. They said "Click File and Print." Simple enough, but the screen that appears when clicking file looks exactly like the start screen. I though I lost everything.

I found the easiest way to use the Windows machines at school is to unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse and plug them into my Linux laptop. I found a machine right behind the printer that no one uses due to the noise. I am so tempted to bring my own LAN cable and plug my laptop directly into the printer so I never have to use the windows machines. I am that bold, but I can't help but notice how many people hit print and close out Word without saving so I haven't tried it yet.
    Are you at high school or college?

Honestly, I find the new ribbon theme better than the old menus. It was harder to use at first, but I actually think it's a much better design. For the stuff I use all the time, I use hotkeys anyways, and for the more obscure things, I spend much less time finding them in the ribbon than I used to in the menus.

Are you at high school or college?
    College, but some days I refer to it as 13th grade.
    Solfe