Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PX...

PX...

OK,

I lurk here quite a bit, and I post on GLP a bit and post on my fishing site more times than I can count.

I have a question.

With the overwhelming evidence AGAINST PX, who really cares?

I for one, like to spar with the trolls on GLP, but they are just that....trolls. I don't think that anyone still really believes this stuff (I could be wrong).

Why don't people just drop it? (certainly humor would go down, but really....there is no argument.)

Pretty fair question I say.

MolBasser

Well, the question's been asked before, and you are right, Nancy Leiders version of the PX story is very much dead. There are still others, however, who peddle a more down to Earth (but still woo-woo) PX story. It has been requested that this PX forum get changed into a general 'end times prophecies' forum, or something like that. That may happen, but I think we'll have to wait until after the Bad Astronomer upgrades the board software and organizes all the technical stuff before we see any changes like that.

So, in short, yes most here are aware that Leider is a joke at this point, but there is still interest in the PX stuff in a more general sense. And the BA is currently in the process of doing whatever it is he decides he wants to do with this forum.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Kebsis, the zeta talk version of the "end of the world" is pretty much dead but fear not, other scenarios prevail! I was just discussing comets with a guy on another board and he was certain that comets were chock full of "anti-matter" and that our demise was just around the corner.

I don't think the "end of the world" mentality is going to disappear. It's been around in some form or another for as long as I can remember...and that's a long time!

Just take a look at http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12060 to see a bunch of new evidence for another angle. :roll:

At this point I think some of the longwinded debunker posts on GLP are more likely to give Nancy more credence rather than less. That certain people over there still feel the need to thoroughly refute her at every opportunity verges on the ridiculous. After June 8, we debunkers should just take a siesta and ignore her for a while. No one takes her seriously any more, anyway.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    At this point I think some of the longwinded debunker posts on GLP are more likely to give Nancy more credence rather than less. That certain people over there still feel the need to thoroughly refute her at every opportunity verges on the ridiculous. After June 8, we debunkers should just take a siesta and ignore her for a while. No one takes her seriously any more, anyway.

I resemble that remark bubba. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Drakheim

I resemble that remark bubba. :wink:
    No offense intended, but there are some people who will post the same 100-200 line message in response to whatever Nancy posts. After a while, people don't read it any more and just register that the debunkers are dumping on Nancy yet again. I'd like to see short, little posts that address new issues that she brings up (which is what I try to do) rather than saying "What about the kite, Nancy? What about your dog? Why is my GOTO scope working just fine?" over and over and over again.

But it's not as if posts on GLP matter a [insert rude phrase of your choice here], anyway.

I'd like to see short, little posts that address new issues that she brings up (which is what I try to do)

The BABB god posts on GLP? Are you one of the AV's or the AC's? :P

Anyway. I used to do the long posts. Then I was guilty of posting about the kite many times. Now I am trying to just post small things here and there.

Meh... In a couple of weeks I will probably switch over to another form of posting. ** shrugs ** Tis the life of a poster over at GLP. You have to switch constantly in the style in which you do post because the attention span of the average GLPer is very short and they start skipping your post if it is not different.

MolBasser, as long as Nancy is posting lies like the ones below, I feel they have to be countered.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tt-watch/message/26384

Particularly this:

Note that June 8 transit, much touted by debunkers who KNOW that the
    public can't really see this and must `trust NASA', one must have
    1. a scope fitted with a solar filter
    2. be in the right place (few locations can actually see a transit)
    3. during the right time (about a half hour at most)
    4. have clear skies and not cloudy
    5. else can go to an online site ...

... where NASA will play a video which we can be SURE (haha) will
    not have a superimposed dark dot passing over the Sun. Does
    Hollywood do this all the time, so that Spiderman can sling about on
    a cityscape? Nah!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakheim
    I'd like to see short, little posts that address new issues that she brings up (which is what I try to do)

The BABB god posts on GLP? Are you one of the AV's or the AC's? :P
    Am I a god? Then where are my offerings, my worshipers, my hordes of sacrificial virgins? If I do not see these pronto, I will start entering fluff posts cleverly disguised as legitimate science! You do not wish to feel my wrath!!

Oh, and to answer the question, I'm "SunSpot" at GLP.

How many sacrificial virgins does one man need? [-X :P

Quote Originally Posted by WolfKC
    How many sacrificial virgins does one man need? [-X :P
    I don't know, but I'd like to find out!

Am I a god? Then where are my offerings, my worshipers, my hordes of sacrificial virgins? If I do not see these pronto, I will start entering fluff posts cleverly disguised as legitimate science! You do not wish to feel my wrath!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbusters
    Gozer: Are you a god?
    Dr. Raymond Stantz: No.
    Gozer: Then die.
    Winston Zeddemore: Ray. When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes.
    The SVs are in the mail, oh mighty one.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

How did you ship them. Priority or Express Mail?

Tom

Whatever you do, don't use UPS. The last time I used them to deliver my sacrificial virgins, they forgot to poke holes in the box! And, well, you know... :x

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    I look forward to them. If they please me, I will be merciful to you and not smite you as I will those who do not treat me with the appropriate adoration.

Quote Originally Posted by LTC8K6
    MolBasser, as long as Nancy is posting lies like the ones below, I feel they have to be countered. *snip*
    Agreed! =D>

I look forward to them. If they please me, I will be merciful to you and not smite you as I will those who do not treat me with the appropriate adoration.
    Wait one sec....

I have been accused by both Nancy and Grant of being you.

And since you are a god, that makes me one too? :-?

Wow, Nice set of replies.

I agree with many points of view and that is what gets me confused.

I basically am of the thought that once the venus transit occurs I will ignore Nancy and Grant. Much as it pains me, as they are quite amusing to blast on GLP.

It will just not be worth it at that point. One thing that could keep me in is an outstanding excuse. Not saying that Nancy has one, but she must certainly be cooking something up to try and save face.

It will all come out after the transfer.

Now we just got to get Hoagland into line

MolBasser

I'm putting myself in a Box even as we Speak ...

And yes, I am remembering to Punch some Holes in it ....

Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
    I've heard of mail order brides, but this is.... cool. :P

Quote Originally Posted by WolfKC
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
    I've heard of mail order brides, but this is.... cool. :P
    What have I let myself in for? #-o

I stopped responding to Nancy on GLP a while ago. I never registered there, for personal reasons (too many anti-gov loons there), but I have to admit I did post as an AC there quite a few times.
    It all went no where.
    I was in the midsts of a resurgence, 'cause it can be fun to poke at Nancy, but that Dawning guy changed my mind. Now I just read what's said and laugh.

Nancy has already set up her defense on the Venus transit. She says that none of the masses will be able to actually observe it. NASA will provide fake imagery to claim it happened!

We know that this is nonsense, but it will allow to continue, and keep the few rag-tag followers she has. As I have posted in the past, she is delusional, and no rational arguement/observations can/will shake that. She will continue until institutionalized and treated, or can no longer afford a net connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    She says that none of the masses will be able to actually observe it. NASA will provide fake imagery to claim it happened!
    meaning hat there are no 'masses' of people outside of the US West Coast? no 'masses in India or China? =D> we'll be able to see it here, although i'm not certain if i will be able to see the entire transit or only at sunset as Singapore could be just at the edge according to this map... have to find me some good solar filters, tho...

[edited for typos]

I was amazed that she could say that "only a few" people would be able to see the transit, when probably we're talking about 80% of the world's population. But then Nancy never ceases to amaze me....

I was amazed that she could say that "only a few" people would be able to see the transit, when probably we're talking about 80% of the world's population. But then Nancy never ceases to amaze me....
    I never expected to say this, but I think Nancy's right*. No-one without equipment will see it with their own eyes.

* Any string of random nonsense is going to make sense once in a while. It's possible that Nancy is in fact an infinite number of monkeys.

Um, Swift, your package arrived today. I now realize that I wasn't entirely clear. When I said I wanted virgins, I meant human female virgins. I mean, they're cute and everything, but what am I supposed to do with a box of gerbils?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    I never expected to say this, but I think Nancy's right*. No-one without equipment will see it with their own eyes.

* Any string of random nonsense is going to make sense once in a while. It's possible that Nancy is in fact an infinite number of monkeys.
    Bah, "equipment" isn't that hard to come by. I have a cute little pocket Meade which I used to watch the Christmas solar eclipse of...umm..2000? with. I balanced it on my shoulder, and projected the image of the sun onto a sheet of paper. If it's clear out, I may try doing the same thing during the Venus transit, just to see if I still have the mad balancing skillz.

Also, drawing the sun is fun...

Um, Swift, your package arrived today. I now realize that I wasn't entirely clear. When I said I wanted virgins, I meant human female virgins. I mean, they're cute and everything, but what am I supposed to do with a box of gerbils?

Feed them to the British royal family; reptiles like that sort of thing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules