Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAUT Outage

I found this site when trying to determine if there was a problem with BAUT or my own computer. It said BAUT was down at the time, and of course other sites can be found out this way, so it may come in handy.

Pleased ya back was having withdrawl systems

Quote Originally Posted by grav View Post
    I found this site when trying to determine if there was a problem with BAUT or my own computer. It said BAUT was down at the time, and of course other sites can be found out this way, so it may come in handy.
    Nice find grav.

One of the first things I check when BAUT seems to be down is the Universe Today site. Since they are on the same server, they rise and fall together. Second, I found it helpful to check the Universe Today Twitter feed. Fraser posted several updates on there, and they are independent of the BAUT/UT server.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

One of those cases that can make you think.
    Which is preferable, 2 tech guys to fix anything and you're customer #1 or 200 tech guys to fix anything but you're customer #100,000?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Just as well. I wasn't home anyway. I always miss so much when I'm gone for a few days.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    I can tell you that as of about 2 minutes ago, it isn't. They have the "undergoing maintenance" screen still up. Glad I haven't been in the mood to play online lately.
    Shortly after I posted that, Sony made an official statement saying that due to a detected security breach, they had taken down the PSN, and are working at rebuilding a new network sans weakpoint. So, apparently, the outages were unrelated. And, from the sounds of it, it may be a bit longer before Playstationers get their networking back.

But that's unrelated to BAUT. Just glad I have this place back.

Do we know if the Amazon cloud and PSN outages are connected? If they aren't, that's a heck of a coincidence.

Supposedly, they are not connected. PSN is saying they had some sort of intrusion in their system, and decided to rebuilt there system while it was down.

Are BAUT and Universe Today on the same physical computer?

Are they even limited to one computer each, or are they distributed
    over several computers? Before this incident, I had understood
    (or, apparently MIS-understood) "cloud computing" to mean that the
    database is distributed in a cloud of computers. But it now appears
    that the term for that may be "distributed computing", while "cloud
    computing" means nothing more than that the database is located
    somewhere other than the database owner's equipment.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

"Cloud" is a very fuzzy concept, 87% of which is marketing hype.

What it basically boils down in this case is that the physical server that runs things doesn't matter, it's a virtual server which can run on any of a large number of physical servers and can move around between them depending on resource need and which servers are running. The file system(s) related to the virtual server is run on other servers as well (actually they are presented as disk devices to the virtual server which can then do with it what it wants).
    The database may or may not be on one or more other servers.

BAUT and Universe Today are on the same virtual server (I'm don't know about the database), which means that whichever physical server is running one is also running the other.

What happened at this crash was that a network outage triggered a cascade of administrative traffic, which is what controls what's running where, which wedged the mirroring processes that are supposed to ensure that the file systems are safe, which blocked the virtual servers from accessing their disks, causing them to fail to start, triggering even more administrative traffic, taking everything down in a spectacular fail.

From outside, it looks like they've been running at marginal capacity for a while, without having the capacity needed to take the full brunt of everything thrashing at the same time.
    This can work for a while and is a situation that can be nearly impossible to notice you're getting in when things are going well, because everything is working well, right up until the time when something triggers a response from everything at the same time, then things lock up hard because suddenly the queue of things the servers have to do is so large that it slows them down enough to trigger even more things to do, resulting on a queue that grows faster than there are resources to cope with.

To be honest, I really don't think this was the last time this happens.
    The whole point of a cloud is that by distributing virtual servers over a lot of physical ones, then since they don't (normally) all use peak resources at the same time, this smoothing of max resource use makes it possible to use fewer physical servers, thus making it competitive prize wise to running things on your own server.
    This will nearly by definition mean that if something again manages to triggers simultaneous peak use of a resource, things will break badly.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Yeah, virtualisation of servers is sometimes touted as a "green technology". I've read brochures where it's the "main point" over and above scaling, fail-over and other benefits.

Basically, instead of having two servers, both fed with power and air con, running at 45% each, you can have one physical server running at 91%. That's saving power.

But each of those 45% servers has 55% of capacity "spare" just in case. That 91% server doesn't have much capacity left - and it's running two systems...
    I don't see any Ice Giants.

My sister just found out that her computer's hard drives were
    configured as RAID-0 when she bought it five years ago. She
    also just found out what "RAID-0" means...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves