Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: weight loss journey

Quote Originally Posted by Tinaa View Post
    One notch smaller is good! I weigh on the same scale at the same time every Monday. I've really upped my water and other liquids and cut down on my salt. I know you mentioned that exercise makes you hungrier but i find that I feel less hungry after working out in the morning.
    In the past, exercise would make me feel hungrier overall--but not immediately after the exercise. I think it's a matter of my body going into some sort of "panic mode". Whatever the reason, I would end up eating more as a result soon enough.

But this time it's different because I just can't pig out. If I did, then it would show up in my blood sugar and that just means I'll need to exercise more just to bring the level back down. And ultimately, if I don't keep my diabetes under control that will mean insulin shots and/or worse.

Nowadays, I don't eat more after exercise, because I'm trying hard to stick to the plan. Still, I know the consequences if I eat too much, like I did on Valentine's Day. Blood sugar level of 199, which is really high, and I had to really push myself with exercise so it would go down to levels that weren't scary. (This involved me doing extra blood tests, which I really don't like to do--but hey, the little pin pricks are nothing compared to insulin shots.)

I'm almost at the end of my second full week of tri training and I am tired. Nothing particularly hurts, so I don't think I'm doing too much. I am just really working hard. Two days of cycling (spin classes for now), three running (walk/jog) workouts and four days of swimming. I pair the running with the swimming because it is a little easier on my knees.

I'm looking forward to my rest day on Sunday. Of course, rest day involves laundry, housework, yard work, etc. And I try to do a bit of extra cooking to save time during the workweek.

Anyone else done training for a marathon or other kind of big race?

Yay Miss T!

At this rate you'll be ready for swimsuit season with weeks to spare!

I'm working my abs hard now and have a mid-line again but not quite a sixpack yet. (Body fat level is still too high) but I can see my toes when I look down without having to lean forward!

I'm looking forward to this Spring.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Just a random update:

It turns out that my starvation diet was having bad effects--a lot of shortness of breath, a lot of lightheadedness. A lot of weird tingly sensations, random numbness, chills. My doctor checked me out and ran tests to rule out anything more serious. After bulking up my lunchtime food intake as recommended, my symptoms evaporated.

For a couple weeks my weight was more or less flat, waving up and down, and the prospect of having my weight loss stalled or even reversed was depressing me. But I feel like my body was regaining strength during this time, and I can see now that my weight has still been going down gradually overall.

The corner in my weight loss graph is about three weeks ago. It's been long enough that I can see the new trend is still downward, so the day to day ups and downs aren't freaking me out as much anymore.

Before my weight loss journey, I would have thought it impossible for someone with immense rolls of fat to also be feeling true physiological starvation effects. I mean, the energy is right there in my big belly! I can point to it, I can grab it in my hands and roll the flab around. It just goes to show how weight management is a non-trivial physiological problem. It's not just a matter of willpower. For example, you can't just convince your body to consume body fat rather than muscle by mentally commanding it. You can suffer more than just a growling stomach and hunger pangs.

My diet is still pretty severely restricted, just not as restricted as before. I feel worlds better, and my weight is still going in the right direction.

After a couple weeks of frustrating up-and-down uncertainty, I can finally say with confidence that I'm passing below the 190 pound barrier (still in the upper half of "overweight" BMI). It's a long way to my goal of 165 pounds...

The wrong trigger point for feeling hungry vs. food intake could well be one of the reasons why the big belly was built up in the first place, and it's definitely one of the things that become skewed by long term overeating so it becomes a rally bad indicator for when and how much to eat.
    Making your body consume fat rather than muscle is done by exercising while dieting, that part is not mental. Actually following a diet and actually getting the exercise is very definitely mental work though and that can be a really hard part of losing weight.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2011-Mar-11 at 04:55 PM.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I've found that losing weight and getting healthier needs a positive driving motivator. If I try to lose weight just because I want to lose weight I don't have the impetus to consistently do everything I should be doing, but as is the case currently, when I have multiple drivers it becomes much easier. If one driver falters you can lean on the other.

Last week I only lost one lb and I was feeling a bit depressed. In spin class I do 30+ miles a week, I swim a couple of miles a week and run/walk at least three. I am tracking my food diligently. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried on my daughters jeans and they fit - two sizes smaller than what I've been wearing! I am making progress slowly but surely. It is sure hard work though.

Do you have any way to reliably measure how much of your missing weight loss is because you're replacing the fat with muscles?

If I was on your exercise program my weight would be shooting up towards 40 pounds heavier than I am.
    Last edited by HenrikOlsen; 2011-Mar-13 at 01:17 AM.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

No. I should be using measurements because weight was really never all that important to me, other than I have to track it on WeightWatchers. It is just much easier to step on a scale rather than take measurements. I suppose it really is a good idea to be lose slowly. I am creating new lifestyle. Healthy eating and daily exercise are becoming habits. Though it is a bit daunting to know that I will have to exercise almost everyday for the rest of my life.

I lost three lbs this week but I'm struck with a killer virus. I've been down and out for two days. Should feel well enough tomorrow to get my workout in - I hope. I'm feeling quite guilty for missing, but between my head and my chest, I just can't do it. And I'm sure people would not appreciate my germs being spread all over the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Do you have any way to reliably measure how much of your missing weight loss is because you're replacing the fat with muscles?

If I was on your exercise program my weight would be shooting up towards 40 pounds heavier than I am.
    What Henrik said Miss T. Your legs are muscling up and toning. They will consume calories even at rest now. This is a desired anabolic state.

When I move furniture, or build up my walking like I am now, my legs get huge. The ex said my legs were one of my best features. I have "thighs like Baryshnikov" according to her.

You deserve a cheer. Here's one my mother taught me from her high school days.

Rickity rickity ree,
    Kick them in the knee!
    Rickity rickity rass,
    Kick them in the other knee!

It's a little funnier if you draw it out in "cheer speak".

Good job Miss T, I'm literally rooting for you.

(Of course when my *friends* see me doing something clever they chant. "Spaz, Spaz, Spaz...")

Tinaa it sounds like you are on the right path. I also have been told by my Doctor that I need to lose weight. I've been having some pain in the right side of my abdomen and my liver enzymes have been way to high. So after a few tests I have been told that I have NonAlcohol Related Fatty Liver Disease. (If I would have only known my liver would mess me up without drinking alcohol I would have drunk more beer). The only thing that really helps this is weight loss. So now I need to lose 50lbs. I've started walking 1 mile a day. As a former wrestler I know how to lose the weight, but cutting out bacon cheeseburgers is going to tough!

I bought a blood pressure tester today, because I went down to the chemists at lunch time to get a free test done. 2 problems - their testers aren't big enough for my arm (my arms aren't that powerful, the tester things are just tiny) and you have to wait 15 minutes relaxing before the test. So I said, heck, just buy it, and did.

Last time I was tested the doc said it read something like 170 over 140, and that if I don't fix it soon I'll be up for a jolly good heart attack and impending doom. That was two years ago. I did nothign about it for quite a while, kept eating poorly and drinking way too much. But I made it here, and today I tested 126 over 85, which is in a healthy range. I was happily shocked.

Still I must get to a doctor and get my cholesterol levels tested, and see what else they can test at the same time. If they're taking blood (which I hate) i want as many tests as possible from it.

This quitting smoking thing, eating well and exercising really works well!

I haven't been able to do the quitting smoking thing. Well, I've done it several times but it didn't take.

I didn't have any trouble with it, after 15 years heavy smoking. I'm not sure whether that should be surprising or not.

That seems to be one of the areas where there is a genuine difference between the sexes, with men tending to find it a lot easier to quit.

Really? I'd never heard that before. Interesting. My lady friend and I quit at the same time, and it hasn't bothered me, but she says it's fairly hard.

The only time I even think of a cig is if I'm really drunk.

For me, the fact that I get so much more out of every breath pretty much quells any interest in a cig.

From what I read there's a fairly strong tendency for men to smoke because it's a social activity, while women tend to smoke because of the physical and psychological effects (pain and stress relief, lower appetite, etc.), so for many women e.g anxiety or stress is a trigger for craving which itself increases stress.
    I've seen several (anecdote time) times where women trying to quit failed by using smoking as self medicated pain relief (e.g. while waiting for the dentist to be available to do a root canal).

I went to the doctor for my regular quarterly checkup. Since my last quarterly checkup:

My cholesterol level went down from well above 200 to under 100 (meaning it went down from very high to normal level).

My HbA1c went down by an amazing 2.3 points from over 8 to under 6 (meaning my blood sugar went from almost out of control to normal levels).

Weight loss of 40 pounds from ~220 to ~180.

In light of these positive results, both my cholesterol and diabetes medications have been reduced. My doctor thinks that we may be able to eliminate medication altogether if things continue as they are.

Wow Isaac! That is fantastic. I'm supposed to go in May to get my blood tests. I hope my results are as good as yours.

I'm still plugging away with my training and food plan. My goal this weekend is to bike 20 miles.

OK, so I've been inside the rehab clinic for fat people for a week...

The good news is that I'm losing weight and glicemia...

the bad news is that they say I have bipolar disorder
    and "suggest" me to take a mood stabilizer... :-(

frankly, I'm here to solve a problem -- not to treat a new one...

Miss T, I'd like you to know that as of yesterday I went from 350 pounds nearly three years ago to a 36 inch waist, measured as of yesterday.

I'm sort of happy about that. And now I'm working to get my chest and shoulders bigger, to exagerate the difference.

I'm going to be ready for bikini season! I'm sure I'll catch some this year!

Glad you are losing weight. I think my mood has been elevated quite a bit since I've been losing. All the extra exercise I've been doing may also be responsible for my good feelings. And the 34 lbs I've lost probably helps.

What all do you have to do at the clinic?

we really eat normal meals, just a little scanty
    (of course no french fries at all;
    cheese or pizza? only 1 every week etc.)...
    and we must walk for 2 hours everyday... (at home I exercise a little more than this)

but we have to talk with at least 5 psychologists every week... :-|

usually all together as a group, sometimes face-to-face... :-(

so, the point here
    is not to get slim in a month,
    but to be less dependent on food...

but another drug is another dependency, isn't it?

that's why I'm a little worried... :-|
    Last edited by Barabino; 2011-Apr-08 at 09:52 PM.

I'm trying to get in better shape lately also. I found out last month that my Body Mass Index is a little higher than it should be. I don't think I need to do anything too drastic though. I was eating waffles with syrup or greasy breakfast sandwiches in the morning but now I'm having Special K with lowfat milk instead. I'm also trying to cut back on the sugary snacks and desserts, but that's hard because I get depressed and want comfort foods. I'm taking long walks a few times a week and doing exercises to tone up my arms a little.

I'm taking on a challenge today in Austin. I am running/walking in the Diva Dash. It is a three mile obstacle course run. A few months and many lbs ago I never would have even considered it.

Congratulations Tinaa! That's fantastic. How did you fare? Feel good after it?

It was fun and I was darned glad to cross the finish line. Here is a little news story:
    http://austin.ynn.com/content/277708...bstacle-course

I've talked a couple of the ladies into doing the tri with me in May.

Great stuff! Those triathlons are brilliant motivators. A friend of mine did that and it got her busy training every day.

Good luck with it.

It's got me working out everyday. I've lost 34.5 lbs.

Hubby and I are heading to San Marcos and Austin tomorrow to see if we can find me a new bike. The one I ride now is pretty awful. I think I'd like to do a couple of triathlons every year, so I need a decent bike.