Thread: Unidentified Celestial Object!

Unidentified Celestial Object!

Hello everyone!
    (My first post here)

On the night of the 28th December I had a little spare time to take some astrophoto's. I started the night by taking some pictures of Orion. Later, as the sky slowly rotated, a bright star (which I believe is Sirius) appeared. I tried to take some pictures of it just to see how sharp I could get it. But what was strange to me was this comet-trail like thing that appeard above it. First I thought it might just have been a random reflection in the telescope from maybe a lamppost (which there aren't many of here), but then I tried to take a longer exposure (30 sec.) and found that it followed the sky.

The first image is a short exposure and shows the "thing" in sharp edition and the second image is the long exposure and shows that the "thing" moves along the sky and is therefore not a reflection.

[Do not mind the small shake in the end of sirius in the beginning!!!]

Does anyone have a guess of what this might be?

Probably an internal lens reflection from Sirius or possibly Jupiter. While Jupiter was out of frame its light would be hitting the lens.

I've seen something similar looking at Jupiter before. I agree with the interpretation of an internal reflection.

Ahh interesting guesses!

From my geographical position in Denmark (at around 00:30 AM, where these pictures were taken) Jupiter was just underneath the horizon far west, so I doubt it could be that. But could a star really be so bright that it makes a reflection in the lens? Sounds both logical and unlogical to me!

Forum has been down so couldn't get back to you until now.

Yes, it easily could that's why I listed it as a possible cause.

Retake the image with Sirius in the exact same location and it should reappear. Move the camera so Sirius is in a very different area but both it and the area the object is in are in the image. Likely it will either have vanished or moved to a very different location.