Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Into What Is our Universe Expanding?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3

    Into What Is our Universe Expanding?

    Current belief is that we exist in an expanding universe. When our singularity was set to expand, in what or where was it setting?

    Could it be possible for a super fast space probe to shoot out beyond our universe to take a look at what lies out beyond? Would there be some type of boundary? It would also be interesting if the probe turned around and took a shot of what our universe looks like from afar.

    Asked another way, is it possible that there is an eternal nothingness in which our universe is but a speck of dust?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug0061 View Post
    Current belief is that we exist in an expanding universe. When our singularity was set to expand, in what or where was it setting?
    There is no "outside" of the universe in our view. It is not expanding into anything but just getting larger in itself. Not an easy concept to wrap your head around but an important concept none the less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug0061 View Post
    Could it be possible for a super fast space probe to shoot out beyond our universe to take a look at what lies out beyond? Would there be some type of boundary? It would also be interesting if the probe turned around and took a shot of what our universe looks like from afar.
    Again you can't get outside our universe in any way that we know of. So shooting a probe out will do 1 of 2 things.
    1) continue indefinitely to never return, and by the cosmological principal just encountering more of what we see around us.
    or
    2) continue until it came back to where it started, kind of like drawing a straight line on a ball.

    at no point would it ever be outside of our universe. The best it would do is be outside of our observable universe. But we have no reason to believe that anything outside our observable universe would be very different then what we see around us right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug0061 View Post
    Asked another way, is it possible that there is an eternal nothingness in which our universe is but a speck of dust?
    There are some very advanced concepts where our universe is just part of a larger multi verse but, as far as I am aware, we are isolated from those other universes so it is not much more then philosophical metaphysics that don't currently impact our universe at all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    222
    Its not possible to escape our universe if you are travelling at the speed of light, but what if you could travel faster than the speed of light? (possibly by using a machine similar to a "warp drive") is it possible that you could "outrun" the expansion of the universe at some point and escape into hyperspace, or what some might call the Level 2 Multiverse?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    6,982
    The warp drive would be warping space-time, which is by definition is our universe. You would have nothing to warp outside.
    If you escaped the "observable universe" then I guess you could keep going but not note much of a change.
    Solfe

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The warp drive would be warping space-time, which is by definition is our universe. You would have nothing to warp outside.
    If you escaped the "observable universe" then I guess you could keep going but not note much of a change.
    Theoretically yes, there is no "outside" of the universe. However, I am drawing from the theories of the multiverse, specifically a level 2 multiverse in which there exist an infinite amount of bubble-like universes (which are actually level 1 multiverses if they are infinite) that float around in some sort of hyperspace. what lies between these bubbles? It of course can't be nothing or else there would be nothing between them, and in effect no level 2 multiverse, just an infinite universe. Also, I am drawing from common sense which tells me that there has to be a space outside of our universe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitenight2093 View Post
    Theoretically yes, there is no "outside" of the universe. However, I am drawing from the theories of the multiverse, specifically a level 2 multiverse in which there exist an infinite amount of bubble-like universes (which are actually level 1 multiverses if they are infinite) that float around in some sort of hyperspace. what lies between these bubbles? It of course can't be nothing or else there would be nothing between them, and in effect no level 2 multiverse, just an infinite universe.
    There's no coherent theory of such a thing, only speculations by some people that such a thing might exist. There's no reason to think such a thing exists and no one theory to describe it, so even if your question didn't rely on something that's considered impossible by current physics (FTL travel), it would still be unanswerable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitenight2093 View Post
    Also, I am drawing from common sense which tells me that there has to be a space outside of our universe.
    Your common sense is wrong. There is no requirement that something exist "outside of our universe".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,011
    " Into what is our universe expanding ? " and welcome.... Its the way you understand things that needs some adjustment.
    To tell you that you are wrong is a little harsh as understanding and articulating the answers are not always so easy.
    Just the words used in your question give a clue to preconceived notions that have been proven as wrong.
    Its a good question that crops up on a regular basis...
    I draw a conclusion that if we can get you to look differently at the universe...
    The question disappears in a puff of smoke....
    Firstly the opening word 'Into'... that's not what is happening. The eccelorating expansion of the void between gravity bound objects. Is.
    The Universe is expanding. That is all there is. Its just getting bigger.
    Then I see you refer to it as 'our' Universe. As if there are others.
    We do not know there are others. That there 'may' be is as close as I would dare go.
    I would not be wrong to tell you that a great number of astronomers are happy with there being just the one very big and for ever expanding Universe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,968
    http://seedmagazine.com/content/arti...clic_universe/
    The ekpyrotic and cyclic models were inspired by the idea, suggested by string theory, that our three-dimensional world is a surface or “brane” embedded in a space (with an extra spatial dimension) separated by a microscopic distance from a second similar brane. A weak, spring-like force holds the two branes together and causes them to smash into one another and bounce apart, perhaps at regular intervals. Each collision is another big bang that produces hot matter and radiation.
    In these models, the Big Bang is over a large area, not limited to a singularity, and expands in a pre-existing brane (which is probably endless).

Similar Threads

  1. If space and the universe is expanding, is the matter in it expanding too?
    By pschroeter in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 2010-May-30, 06:17 PM
  2. The universe is not expanding!?
    By Neil Russell in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 2010-May-17, 11:04 PM
  3. expanding universe
    By mgmartin in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2009-Jul-08, 07:14 PM
  4. Expanding Universe
    By alice3 in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2007-Mar-17, 11:53 PM
  5. The expanding universe
    By RussT in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2006-Jan-05, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: