Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible asteroid impact in 2012?

Possible asteroid impact in 2012?

I just heard a rumor yesterday from a show on the Histroy Channel from a show called the Bible Code about a possible asteroid impacting Earth in the year 2012? Could this actually happen? or is this just another proven hoax?

Sure, asteroids and their ilk impact the earth all the time. Of course, most of them burn up in the atmosphere, so I don't guess they actually impact the SURFACE, but they do impact the atmosphere.

A bit more serious, wasn't the 2012 asteroid one of the ones they thought at first might hit and then they redid the calculations and found it was going to miss us by a pretty wide margin. I think this was one of the first ones that was hyped up, probably because it was around the time of Deep Impact/Armageddon.

Well an asteroid impact could happen in 2012 but it is not written in the bible. The socalled Bible Code is a method whereby one can find almost any message in a text of a certain size. See more here: The Bible Code or here: Scientific Refutation of the Bible Codes
    In the last link you can also read about famous assasinations and Princess Diana in Moby Dick. Michael Drosnin's own murder is also "predicted" in Moby Dick

So, has anyone performed ELS analysis of Bad Astronomy, The Book? Maybe we have an ASTRO Code and don't know about it yet. It could not happen by chance, the odds would be... astronomical. 8-[

There could be, but I wouldn't worry but it. The "Bible Code" isn't anything amazing, it is just a property of large amounts of text. There re codes in it tht ARE amazing, but this isn't one of them.

Astroid of 2012

I just dont get it, why dont you guys sit here talking about it when you can
    look around the internet and find it. #-o do you have nothing better to do or are you bord? try this site ...... www.ask.com

2012 is also the year the maya calender ends, but I think they talked about thier farming impliments and other tools rising up against them.
    Wait maybe its like a maximum overdrive kind of thing. Wasnt that caused by a comet or an asteriod?

just kidding

How big is the asteroid?

Do you mean the asteroid "predicted" to hit the Earth in 2012 from the bible code?

There are apparently good chances many of us won't even be around in 2012.

http://exodus2006.com/codes2.htm has following timeline:
    2010 - 3rd World War. H bombs used. Biological warfare causes the 'boils' pestilence. The asteroid falls in 3 pieces - on California, Utah and western Nevada. California sinks and floods. The Earth's crust slips relative to the rotation axis giving a pole shift of 5 degrees.

2011 - 3 asteroids hit Russia causing a 10 pole shift.

2012 - 3 asteroids hit China causing another 10 pole shift. Japan and the Philippines are lost underwater.
    Of course the same website has another timeline: http://exodus2006.com/3code.htm
    24] L.A. CALIF, 2010, GREAT EARTHQUAKE occurs encoded twice in the Torah, in different places, one of which also includes FIRE.
    COMET is encoded between Leviticus 18:20 and Deuteronomy 27:1, with YEAR PREDICTED FOR THE WORLD and the year 2006 is there also.

27] 2010 is another year encoded with COMET and DAYS OF HORROR cross 2010, DARKNESS and GLOOM cross Comet.

28] The year 2012 also appears with COMET, again in Deuteronomy, also IT WILL BE CRUMBLED I WILL TEAR IT TO PIECES and EARTH ANNIHILATED.
    This website http://www.newpara.com/The_Bible_Code.htm seem to believe the asteroids are pieces of the Martian Moon Phobos. Phobos has a major axis radius of 13.4 km, so it is big enough to cause major damage on Earth but not big enough to cause a 10 pole shift. How it escapes Mars is of course left as an exercise to the reader.

You can also download a computerprogram to search for bible codes yourself from http://exodus2006.com/torah4u.htm. Just remember The real bible codes are only found in the original Torah, not in any christian versions of the bible because they are filled with translation errors and are as reliable as Moby Dick. :wink:

Theology and science are a troublesome mix... Reflection upon the plight of Hypatia Of Alexandria NEVER fails to bring tears to even to my stoic eyes (*really*) -- Still she IS here! With us still! - Acting through all who hold truth as ultimate!
    ///////////////////////////

On a lighter note:

Hey!!! it occurs to me that yours truly *Ahem*..... that is to say 4179 (Toutatis) will be 'round that year (Dec 12 2012) but that's nine days too early (For "Mayan purposes") and ~.01 AU's too distant :,(

But not to worry! - For those of you whom insist upon doomsday I'm certain a numerologist would find no difficulty in the transposition of 12/21/12 to 12/12/12, and what are a mere 930 thousand miles to a determined 'croaker' ;-)

<<<Edit to correct typo [.01 AUs vs. .05 AUs]) >>>

With affable intent
    Sarandon

astroid oo 2012

couldent the air forice or nassa do something about this?

Re: astroid oo 2012

Quote Originally Posted by madcomit
    Like what? :-k

When in danger
    or in doubt
    run in circles,
    scream and shout

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K
    Like what? :-k

When in danger
    or in doubt
    run in circles,
    scream and shout
    Pound your head
    Against the wall
    Make life he[ck]
    for one and all.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Mmmmm....chcolate

Why do bible codes and calenders always predict horrible things, why can't they predict fun things. Like instead of asteroids falling and destroying the earths crust and obliterating California, why can't they say stuff like all human suffering will end and a large cloud will rain down chocolate....and stuff.

Re: Mmmmm....chcolate

Quote Originally Posted by Thyla
    Why do bible codes and calenders always predict horrible things, why can't they predict fun things. Like instead of asteroids falling and destroying the earths crust and obliterating California, why can't they say stuff like all human suffering will end and a large cloud will rain down chocolate....and stuff.
    The codes and calenders aren't really "predicting" these things, it's human interpretation that's doing this "prediciting". While it's true that meteorites do strike the earth and there are certainly NEOs (near earth objects) that bear keeping watch over that doesn't mean that "the end is near".

All the "end of the world" scenarios that I've seen over the years have been utter nonsense and frequently have to do with trying to get you to buy some guy's book! When you see these claims look at them in a critical and skeptical manner, check to see if there is any good, solid scientific evidence to back up any claims someone may be making.

Honestly, the claims made by some of these "dooms day prophets" are about as likely as clouds that rain chocolate! Don't worry over this stuff.

This resource describes the "Bible Code" very well, and contains links to similar materials. :wink:

I agree N C More, and I take it all with a grain of salt. There have been these predictions for years and years. Always someone trying to scare the masses. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    A bit more serious, wasn't the 2012 asteroid one of the ones they thought at first might hit and then they redid the calculations and found it was going to miss us by a pretty wide margin. I think this was one of the first ones that was hyped up, probably because it was around the time of Deep Impact/Armageddon.
    If I'm not mistaken, the forecast didn't get changed because they redid the calculations, though that's how the media made it sound.

Instead astronomers noticed that they had earlier observations of the same asteroid, so they had a much longer timeline of data to use for the orbital calculations, making the margin of error so narrow that the earth no longer was within the possible path.

I saw the Bible Code (II) as well. They present the claim (without much supporting evidence) that the statistical math points toward these occurance being quite rare. Ah-huh...

If I take enough letters and create a variable sized matrix, then look for words at any slope, I will find what I'm looking for. It'd be different if I just used one size matrix and one slope, but the way they perform the ELS algorithm seems like it will ALWAYS yield results.

They also use any version of the bible. Honestly, it's the original language (Hebrew) or nothing. I can translate the bible into a made up language and certainly find predictions of assasinations, disasters, and the best place to go for a cheeseburger. =)

Works with LotR's and War and Peace too.

Works with a paper I just read about protein crystal structures of Neisseria outer membrane proteins........why do people let papers ramble for 19 pages! And why do journals publish them when they are that long? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    Works with a paper I just read about protein crystal structures of Neisseria outer membrane proteins........why do people let papers ramble for 19 pages! And why do journals publish them when they are that long? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
    Ummm... Too sell more advertising space?

Because bad news sells. Good news doesn't. Ask any newspaper editor.

[quote="ToSeek"]
    When in danger
    or in doubt
    run in circles,
    scream and shout
    Pound your head
    Against the wall
    Make life he[ck]
    for one and all.
    Pack your stuff,
    move away
    Live in a hole,
    'till doomsday.

[quote="TriangleMan"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    When in danger
    or in doubt
    run in circles,
    scream and shout
    Pound your head
    Against the wall
    Make life he[ck]
    for one and all.
    Pack your stuff,
    move away
    Live in a hole,
    'till doomsday.
    When you're sure the end is near'
    and your life is naught but fear,
    think of heaven and dance with glee,
    and give yer stuff to lil' ole me.

Hey that's a great idea! Maybe the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 (I know it doesn't, let me finish) because with all the free food coming down from the sky nobody has to work any more and worry about calendars and appointments. That's the ticket.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    Ummm... Too sell more advertising space?
    I don't know per page charges after the max are really steep. They should make the cuts hard and not let any overages.

You have to start remembering what you post madcomit. In addition to already posing this question in this thread, you made the following claim in the size thread (emphasis added):
    ya this qustion when't to the rong spot.but my wife works for nasa and im in the air force so thats where Im getting all this info at. and this astroid it will ceap gathering space gunk and by 2012 it will be
    SMALLER THAN TEXAS.
    :-k

Of course they can't. It's predicted in the Buble. Eh... in the Bible.