Thread: The morning moon

The morning moon

Hello!
    This isn't any comment, question or critique; I was just coming out of work at 7:00 this morning and looked up to see the moon in three-quarter low in the sky.
    We can analyze it; study it; theorize all we want; but it always strikes me just how damned beautiful the moon is when seen through blue morning sky. Especially in three-quarter; when you can actually see it as a 3-D sphere; not a flat coin. Just stood there smiling; breathing clean cold air and getting the sound of machinery out of my head looking at her - I don't know about you guys; but every now and then looking at the moon and recognizing that that's a whole different world floating off in space is just the coolest thing there is.
    Just thought I'd mention it.

funny you mention this, for some reason I woke up about an hour earlier than normal today. I was hanging out watching the news and noticed this when I let the dogs out.

I got my binoculars for a quick look, and it was really pretty.

I know what you mean, especially in the morning!

Many a time I've walked to class, staring up at the moon. And many a time I've stumbled on something too.

Guess thats why I'm on track for being an astrophysicist.

How odd. I was up last night doing some Jovian moon watching, but I got up a bit early because I had forgotten to take my tripod in. As I stepped out it was morning twilight with that deep blue sky and the moon was sitting there just over the southwest hill, stunningly white against the sky. And yes, it was beautiful.

Early this week I saw the full moon setting dead on the horizon just at sunrise. It was orange, and looked huge. Excellent!

I was up early yesterday heading in to town to catch a train. As I was walking along the moon suddenly appeared from behind a house in my peripheral vision, beautifully bright in the morning sky. It stopped me in my tracks, and I just had to stand and look at it for a while.

Nearly missed my train...

Earlier this week as well, I think Tuesday, which would make it the next evening after the full Moon, I saw the Moon coming up while walking, and it looked yellow. I'm used to seeing it look red or orange while near the horizon, but I don't think I've ever noticed it looking so yellow before.

Surely you've seen it rise while white?

Maybe le lives in a smoggy city?

I guess I could have used the "pity" emoticon, but the closest we have is

Quote Originally Posted by milli360
    Surely you've seen it rise while white?
    OK, at first I wasn't quite sure how you meant this, but if tracer's smog suggestion fits with what you mean, sure, I've seen it rise white plenty of times, but usually when it wasn't white, it would be rather clearly either orange or red, but not yellow. And the way I described it might have been somewhat misleading, or even wrong; it was probably already at least five degrees up at that point, maybe more like ten. Not right on the horizon.

For me, the Moon's never white when it's close to the horizon. Always a goldenrod-yellow color.

another reason to move to CA

Yesterday morning (the 11th) I was up at ~6:30 am with my kids and we noticed it as a bright white last quarter moon less than 10 degrees above the horizon. I agree, when it's low on the horizon like that and it's in that phase, you can really perceive its spherical shape.

I also like the look of it before first quarter, with Earthshine visible on it.

When it's fuller though, unless I'm out for a stroll and appreciative of its light, it always seems to be in the way of what I want to be observing!