I came across this article and research about how Townsend Brown had performed experiments on creating an electrogravitational air vehicle and how the flying saucer shape is the most effective shape to utilize the Brown-Townsend principle. Brown actually had small models of flying saucers that lifted off and hovered. I am quite sure Brown was a real researcher, as I've found information about him all over the internet, but I am wondering if their is anything to his research. Is all of it junk science or is this stuff, at least a bit of it, valid? If aircraft really can use the Brown-Townsend effect and alter gravitational waves around the craft allowing the craft to be far superior to wind-tunnel aeronautical based aircraft, then why aren't we today using flying saucers for military and commercial applications instead of rudimentary aeroplanes?
Here's the link the article: http://www.linux-host.org/energy/rose.htm
Here's an excerpt from the article:
1. No understood method of propulsion.
The saucers made by Brown have no propellers, no jets, no moving parts at all. They create a modification of the gravitational field around themselves, which is analogous to putting them on the incline of a hill. They are like a surfboard on a wave: The surfboard moves without propellers or jets too, but it is confined to the direction and speed of the water wave. The electrogravitational saucer creates its own "hill," which is a local distortion of the gravitational field, then it takes this "hill" with it in any chosen direction at any rate.
2. The second objection concerned the tremendous accelerations which on the basis of previous technology, would subject any animal occupants to unbearable stresses. But, says Brown, the occupants of one of his saucers would feel no stress at all, no matter how sharp the turn or how great the acceleration. This is because the ship and all the occupants and the load are all responding equally to the wavelike distortion of the local gravitational field. In an airplane the propeller pumps air backward and, by reaction, the plane moves forward. The reaction thrust on the propeller is transferred to the frame of the aircraft. This frame then shoves the load and occupants forward CONTRARY TO THEIR NATURAL TENDENCY TO MOVE AT A CONSTANT RATE IN A CONSTANT DIRECTION. But in the saucer no such transfers of thrust from one member to another occurs. The entire assembly moves in unison in response to the locally modified gravitational field. The nearest analogy in our experience is going down in an elevator. When the elevator starts down, it is not necessary for the elevator to shove on our bodies, both elevator and passengers share a gravitational tendency to move down. They do so without any shoving or any stresses between elevator and passengers.
3. Townsend Brown’s saucers require a highly charged leading edge - the positive pole. But such a charged pole produces an electrical corona. In the largest models made, this develops a decided bluish-violet glow [seen] easily in the darkness or a dim light. A full scale ship operating on this principle would be expected to produce a spectacular corona effect visible for many miles.
4. The outlines and shape of Brown’s saucers were the result of electrogravitational considerations, not the result of wind tunnel tests of aerodynamic designs. For they move, not on the lift of air, but on the lift of a modified gravitational field. In operating flying saucers such aerodynamic considerations would have to be taken into account to reduce drag and friction, but not to produce lift and thrust.
5. And, finally, when Brown turned his attention to improved ways of generating high voltages, the most promising new method involved the use of a flame jet to convey negative charges astern. This flame was relatively inefficient as a generator if it was adjusted for the best combustion of the fuel. But if it was adjusted to an orange-red color, indicating incomplete combustion of fuel, it conveyed the charges very effectively and set up the required negative space charge [as in Brown's patent 3,022,430] behind the ship.
The reasons advanced by the experts to "explain away" the saucer reports, when seen from a new and different viewpoint appear to be the specific reasons why they can operate, on electrogravitational rather than electromagnetic principles.
The next opinion which must be corrected is the idea of overly intensified supersonic vibration. The Townsend Brown experiments indicate that the positive field which is traveling in front of the saucer acts as a buffer wing which starts moving the air out of the way. This immaterial electrogravitational field acts as an entering wedge which softens the supersonic barrier, thus allowing the material leading edge to enter into a softened pressure area. Diagramed, this would be illustrated as shown here: