Thread: Jay┤s excellent review of Sibrels "A Funny Thing ......

Jay┤s excellent review of Sibrels "A Funny Thing ......

Just in case, someone has missed Jay┤s excellent review of Bart Sibrel┤s video "A Funny Thing .......":

It begins at:

LINK DELETED by The Bad Astronomer

and goes on for a total of 8 pages.

Don┤t forget, Jay, to link to the review at:

http://www.clavius.org/bibvid.html

There are also some really nice ones on amazon.com and which can be found here .

It's funny that all the pro Bart reviews sound almost indentical.

BTW Jay, you ought to post a review on amazon, like you did for Percy and Bennett's Dark Moon book.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I don't think Jay has officially published it yet.

It's my understanding that page is still a work in progress. The last I heard, Jay didnĺt want it to be publicly viewable. You may want to edit your post and remove the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B.
    The last I heard, Jay didnĺt want it to be publicly viewable.
    YIKES...I already read it! 8-[

I've already PMed BA and asked him to remove this thread.

Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. Hundreds of people read BABB, including Sibrel and/or his sympathizers. I've had to remove the pages, which now prevents me from collaborating easily online to edit and revise the material. I'm disappointed that I know have to resort to more cumbersome and restrictive methods of telecollaboration.

When BA is online, he'll delete this thread. I suggest you change the urls and repost in the private forum. You should also put up a note on the pages like you did for that Aulis page you allowed us to preview.

Quote Originally Posted by JayUtah
    Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. Hundreds of people read BABB, including Sibrel and/or his sympathizers. I've had to remove the pages, which now prevents me from collaborating easily online to edit and revise the material. I'm disappointed that I know have to resort to more cumbersome and restrictive methods of telecollaboration.
    No, Jay, the cat has been out of the bag for a long time. The problem didn┤t start by my posting the link. The problem started when you uploaded the pages to your website and allowed them to be found (and cached) by Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=us&i...d%22&meta=

I found it while searching for the official title of Sbirel┤s latest crap "Astronauts Gone Wild" - the same title published in The Tennessean one month ago. No secrets here.

I must admit that I am puzzled by the more or less subtle allegations that I have done something wrong. No, it┤s Jay, who have made the mistake of uploading an unfinished work to his website and thus allowed it to be indexed and cached by Google.

But then again ..... Jay doesn┤t make mistakes ... Do you, Jay ??? Are you man enough to admit that the error is yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    When BA is online, he'll delete this thread. I suggest you change the urls and repost in the private forum. You should also put up a note on the pages like you did for that Aulis page you allowed us to preview.
    That won┤t be enough. You┤ll also have to contact Google and have them remove the page from their server. For some reason, Google was able to index the page. Strange, isn┤t it ? Must be MY fault as well ......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Moon
    No, Jay, the cat has been out of the bag for a long time. The problem didn┤t start by my posting the link. The problem started when you uploaded the pages to your website and allowed them to be found (and cached) by Google:

Robots.txt is your friend. [-X

PS: Why not simply use a script on the pages that will bounce Google┤s search bots on those specific pages ??

Hmmm... interesting. A similar thing happened to me when I was writing my Hoagland pages, but in my case I gave the URLs to a few people from whom I wanted advice. It leaked from there.

Jay, the lesson here is you cannot develop pages online. It's a pain in the neck, but you have to do it offline, or else it will leak out.

I'll note that you can lock out search engines from spidering your site using a ".htaccess" file, or a "robots.txt" file. Try here for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by JayUtah

I found it while searching for the official title of Sbirel┤s latest crap "Astronauts Gone Wild" - the same title published in The Tennessean one month ago. No secrets here.

I must admit that I am puzzled by the more or less subtle allegations that I have done something wrong. No, it┤s Jay, who have made the mistake of uploading an unfinished work to his website and thus allowed it to be indexed and cached by Google.

But then again ..... Jay doesn┤t make mistakes ... Do you, Jay ??? Are you man enough to admit that the error is yours ?
    No where does Jay say that you let the cat out of the bag. He said he was disappointed that it happened. No one has accused you of anything, subtle or otherwise. I think you might want to chill out a little, and maybe even apologize for your paranoid comments.

Jay makes his share of mistakes...he admits them and then corrects them. Why the hostile "tone"?...ie, "are you man enough"?? That's not very friendly.

In fact, Jay put the pages up for review specifically to find mistakes he may have made.

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi Chick
    No where does Jay say that you let the cat out of the bag. He said he was disappointed that it happened. No one has accused you of anything, subtle or otherwise. I think you might want to chill out a little, and maybe even apologize for your paranoid comments.
    For what it's worth, when I read the thread, I too inferred that Blue Moon was being subtly accused of doing something he shouldn't have.

Not that that justifies his outburst, though...

Quote Originally Posted by pghnative
    For what it's worth, when I read the thread, I too inferred that Blue Moon was being subtly accused of doing something he shouldn't have.

I was trying to find a way to say exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Quote Originally Posted by pghnative

I was trying to find a way to say exactly the same thing.
    As was I.

Aporetic

In fact the fault is mine. After careful investigation, the source of the leakage is one hyperlink that appeared on a page that was mistakenly uploaded to the site. That caused Google to index the entire sequence of pages.

I apologize if you believed I was accusing you of wrongdoing. It was clear from your post that you were drawing attention to something you innocently believed was, or should have been, common knowledge. My comment about the cat being let out of the bag was in reference to well-intentioned efforts to contain the consequences of publishing the link. It is fundamentally impossible to unpublish something.

I am aware of the proper techniques for establishing HTTP authentication domains to restrict access, but unfortunately the hosting agency for Clavius requires an audit in that circumstance, which I had hoped to avoid. I am also aware of the means for denying access to web crawlers, but a simpler (though obviously less effective) means is not to hyperlink to the pages that should not be indexed. Merely placing a page in view of the web server does not allow web crawlers to see it. The Bad Astronomer is correct; and I should have learned from his experience.

But I am somewhat surprised by your hostile tone. I would have appreciated being asked privately, or even publicly, about the intent of my statements before having my integrity and goodwill called into question. I would have more quickly absolved you of any accusation, even before determining how you were able to see the material.

Blue Moon,

As one of the first people to respond to your original post let me make clear that I was in no way suggesting you had done anything wrong. I was simply suggesting an alteration to your original post based on inside information of which you were unaware. In fact, had the circumstances not been what they were, I would have been thanking you for bringing the page to our attention.

Yes, I find it hard to be angry at someone who looks at my work and calls it "excellent".