Thread: I don't believe in Aliens, but I have seen three UFO's do so

It was fall in the mid eighties when my second son came home with a 4th grade astronomy project to map and Identify some simple constellations. My wife and I were on the front porch looking skyward and helping locate the appropriate stars. My son pointed out a fast moving light and I explained it was probably an airliner or a sattelite reflecting sunlight. As we watched we noticed another light converging with the first, not unusual I stated, they are likely at very different altitudes and one would pass over the other. As we watched them converging we noticed yet another light which was, it appeared, converging on the same piece of sky. I explained that this was rare, I'd never seen three airliners converge like that over our home in Anchorage, Alaska. We watched as they grew ever closer the angles aparently trisecting the sky at very nearly an exact 120 degrees. As they came together we watched kind of to make sure they didn't actually collide. But that is what they did. No explosion, no sound, no flashes of light. They came together and each reversed its course at a considerably higher speed than it originaly appeared to be moving. All three of us stood there watching them move apart, then they each started slowing down until they each came to a total stop, at which time they started converging again. They accelerated toward each other gaining speed until they colided yet again, this time with a much higher aparent speed than the first time. Again they reversed course when they seemed to collide but they kept on going over the horizon accelerating as they went, this time never to return.

I explained to my son that it was some sort of atmospheric anomoly because things don't do that if they are made of something solid. Maybe it was some sort of electical discharge, or some sort of sun dog or other glare phenomenon caused by the ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

What ever it was, it qualified as an unidentified flying object in my book. It doen't mean I saw an alien, just something else I have seen, that I do not understand.

Anybody have a clue what this was?

Any other unexplained things similar in nature?

Dan

Could they have been "Lampyridae"? (Fireflies.)

1. Alaska has A LOT of insects. (BTW: Fireflies are beetles and not "flies.")
    2. Certain types can merge in the air.
    3. If they were much closer to you than they looked (on a dark night), they might appear to move a tremendous speed (if they were interpreted as being far away.)
    4. Normally they're lower to the ground and "flash" but some can fly higher and produce a steady glow. (I don't know if they fly for very long in a straight line though.)

If not, then I'm not sure what you saw. ("Sun Dogs" are out as I think they only occur while the sky is still bright. I.e. the Sun is visible or just setting below the horizon.)

Anybody else? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Chip

I cannot explain what you saw but I have an idea that may be part of the explanation.

The 3 merging objects that you saw may just have been a single object (star or planet) which was refracted in such a way that it appeared to be in more than one place in the sky at the same time.

I don't claim to know what would cause such a strange form of refraction, but if there is some natural mechanism that explains how a single star may appear in the sky in three places, then a variantion in the extent of the effect of the mechanism would account for what you saw.

As I said I do not know what would cause the effect, but to illustrate the point that it may be possible, consider the effect know as gravitational lensing. Whilst this is not what you saw, gravitational lensing will cause a single star to appear in multiple locations from an optical observation, so we seem to have a precedent.

I too have seen something very strange in the sky that I cannot account for. In my case someone who claimed he had seen UFO's on numerous occasions called my outdoors one night to show me a "mothership".

After about 40 minutes of skywatching star-like objects slowely moving across the sky (almost certainly satellites) he became very excited and pointed at an unremarkable stationary object in the sky which he claimed was a "mothership".

After just a few minutes the object that he pointed out started immiting intense light flashes (far beyond the amount of light given off by a star). In all the object flashed obout 9 times. We continued to watch the object for another 5 minutes then called it a day.

To this day I don't know what I saw. It was only a couple of days after a leonid meteor shower so you could imagine that perhaps it was just a meteor that was travelling straight towards us and buring up in the atmosphere. But if that was the case I would have expected any flashing to continue, and I wouldn't expect it to remain in the sky for a long period afterwards.

Another idea I had was that it was just a satellite that was catching the sun. I checked the same portion of the sky the following day but there was nothing there.

Phobos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phobos on 2002-04-19 09:38 ]</font>

[quote]
    On 2002-04-19 03:50, Chip wrote:
    Could they have been "Lampyridae"? (Fireflies.)

1. Alaska has A LOT of insects. (BTW: Fireflies are beetles and not "flies.")
    2. Certain types can merge in the air.
    3. If they were much closer to you than they looked (on a dark night), they might appear to move a tremendous speed (if they were interpreted as being far away.)
    4. Normally they're lower to the ground and "flash" but some can fly higher and produce a steady glow. (I don't know if they fly for very long in a straight line though.)
    FireFlies wa the very first thing I though of 2.
    ------------------------------------
    anyway I want to say, I `poise there are
    aliens onthe Earth at this time
    though I hav no proof whatever
    and another thing I Believe "ants"
    now i've seen ANTS, by the millions come UP out of the ground?

On 2002-04-19 09:38, HUb' wrote:
    "...and another thing I Believe "ants"
    now i've seen ANTS, by the millions come UP out of the ground?"

I like to use ants and bees as an analogy to how a hypothetical alien "civilization" might be very different from us. That is to say, they could display "instrumentalities," technology, and an organized society, yet have a completely different mentality. How could one "communicate" with a society that functioned not unlike ants? Math? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Chip

Doubtfull it was insects. The objects disappeared behind the mountains that form our horizon in Alaska. Plus fall in Alaska is very cold by insect standards. October and November routinely drop to 0 degrees F.

It'd take a stout bug to do much at that temp.

I don't know what you saw either.

Do you think the objects could be close enough to be insects?

I can't explain what you saw, but I admire and respect you for not jumping to the conclusion that the UFO must be aliens. I too have seen many things that I could not explain at the time. Some of them, I still can't explain. This does not mean that they *must* be aliens.

It could have been F-15s from Elmendorf AFB doing combat maneuvers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Bad Aviator on 2002-04-21 11:28 ]</font>

I'll agree with "The Bac Aviator". There are several AFB's up in Alaska. Elemendorf & Eilson both operate Hi Perf fighter squadrons. At that latitude, any of the modern fighters, F-14 thru F-18, at extreme altitude could reflect sunlight at night in October. Combat manuvers or pinpoint flight manuvers could account for the movement you saw. Fighters would be able to turn within their own glare at that distance.

[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2002-04-22 13:03, Russ wrote:
    I'll agree with "The Bac Aviator".
    Me too.