Thread: Bright object in western night sky.

Bright object in western night sky.

I was wondering what the immensely bright object in the western night sky was so I decided to look it up. I found out it was Venus, as I had suspected, but in the process of acquiring this information I came across many lunatics who claim that this is not Venus (rather it is Nibiru/planet X or something of the sort) and is way to bright to be Venus. They also say that in their entire lives they have never seen Venus this bright. I suppose my question is, is Venus actually getting brighter over the years or is it just these people's imaginations? I was thinking that maybe it is getting extremely close to the earth, much like how Mars was extremely close a few years back. Also, is it brighter than usual?

P.S. If i don't sound like an astronomer its because I'm not, I just graduated High School and I made a B in Astronomy class

Quote Originally Posted by adavis1992 View Post
    I was wondering what the immensely bright object in the western night sky was so I decided to look it up. I found out it was Venus, as I had suspected, but in the process of acquiring this information I came across many lunatics who claim that this is not Venus (rather it is Nibiru/planet X or something of the sort) and is way to bright to be Venus. They also say that in their entire lives they have never seen Venus this bright. I suppose my question is, is Venus actually getting brighter over the years or is it just these people's imaginations? I was thinking that maybe it is getting extremely close to the earth, much like how Mars was extremely close a few years back. Also, is it brighter than usual?

P.S. If i don't sound like an astronomer its because I'm not, I just graduated High School and I made a B in Astronomy class
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....-west-of-Venus

Here is a thread that talks about Venus and what is close to it at different times and shows its movement in relation to other planets.

and here is a thread on Nibiru/planet X

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....fuse-to-let-go

Welecome to BAUT and enjoy

Our western sky view shortly after sunset and for a few hours after is dominated by Venus...

and yes, every so often Venus catches up to and passes by Earth...

She is going around the sun faster than Earth. Have a look at the 'Wikipedia' site for Venus.

Much information of it is there. This happens every time Venus passes us..

Its often and normal. Look at apparent brightness or visible magnitude.

Ignore any people whom speak of 'Nebiru' they are NOT science based claims...Its utter nonsense.

Go seek out a Astronomicle society or observatory... Looking at Venus is easy. Like a crescent moon.

Over a few months you can observe Venus getting brighter and bigger and then drifting away to a smaller and dim.

Welcome and I hope that helps you... mark

[...] is way to bright to be Venus. They also say that in their entire lives they have never seen Venus this bright.
    Trust me, there are people who will insist that you can't see the moon during daylight. Some people just never look up.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I was wondering what the immensely bright object in the western night sky was so I decided to look it up. I found out it was Venus, as I had suspected, but in the process of acquiring this information I came across many lunatics who claim that this is not Venus (rather it is Nibiru/planet X or something of the sort) and is way to bright to be Venus. They also say that in their entire lives they have never seen Venus this bright.
    Like Slang says, some people just never look up. It's magnitude varies from -3.8 to -4.6, so it's always bright (when in the sky), but it's brightest when close to earth. Venus is actually bright enough to see in the daytime, but you have to look just right.

Nick

Thanks for the answers. Another person (who claimed to be an "avid stargazer" with ties to astronomers at cal-tech) claimed that he had been following the object for 40 months and it was apparently "still there" when Venus was supposed to be hidden behind the sun. Still others said it has been visible year round. Are these people just imagining this or have they been confused by other celestial bodies that appear in the western sky at different times of the year?

'adavis1992' I am a astronomer. These pages are often visited by people whom know the pattern of stars and the positions of the planets.

My western horizon is clear of any tall buildings, trees and especially light pollution.. No city lights to spoil my view...

Last night we opened the local observatory and watched as darkness allowed. Mercury, Venus, and many stars slowly drifting west and setting...

I can assure you that no such unknown object is being viewed.

We are looking at that part of our sky at this time because we are attempting to see a comet.

As many astronomers are. From every outpost of humanity...

" Are these people confused or imagining ? "--- No.--- They are misleading you.

A lot of these hoaxsters rely on the fact that few people take notice of their skies, and if someone draws their attention to Venus when it is near its brightest, they will of course be quite surprised and utter such gems of wisdom as "I've never seen it this bright!!!". Well, of course they dang-well haven't, because they don't watch the skies. I've seen it this bright MANY MANY times - even a little brighter...

Smile

... but in the process of acquiring this information I came across many lunatics who claim that this is not Venus (rather it is Nibiru/planet X or something of the sort) and is way to bright to be Venus. They also say that in their entire lives they have never seen Venus this bright.
    You may be referring to this ridiculously silly thread: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1064887/pg1

There are people who “want” to believe or have been led to believe that almost anything seen in the sky is due a government (which one?) conspiracy to hide the truth concerning any irrational notion imaginable. They are usually people who are not normally observant of what is happening in the sky. They may have caught Venus out of the corner of their eyes many times for only a split second while unconsciously assuming it was an airplane. Then someone tells them to stare at it hanging almost motionless in the sky and suddenly they claim to have never seen anything like it before. They are then led to believe it is some scary thing other than Venus, or that Venus has been getting brighter over the years.

In actuality, Venus is almost always far and away the brightest celestial object other than the Sun or Moon. The only exception is during brief periods every 1.6 years near the time of inferior conjunction when its crescent becomes extremely thin, and not always then if it appears to swing far north or south of the Sun. Other than that, its changes in brightness are relatively minor and quite regular and predictable over that 1.6-year synodic period during which Venus laps the Earth in their race around the Sun.

On my astronomical website are several graphics I’ve created related to Venus’ positions in the sky that may help illustrate the situation for you. Click http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical then go to the page for Inferior Planets.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    www.CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Smile

... Another person (who claimed to be an "avid stargazer" with ties to astronomers at cal-tech) claimed that he had been following the object for 40 months and it was apparently "still there" when Venus was supposed to be hidden behind the sun. Still others said it has been visible year round. Are these people just imagining this or have they been confused by other celestial bodies that appear in the western sky at different times of the year?
    They’re probably either remembering poorly or assuming that Jupiter is Venus. Jupiter is also extremely bright; much brighter than any fixed star. For many observers it is only when those two planets appear near each other that Venus’ much greater brilliance becomes rather obvious. Sirius, easily the brightest fixed star, is another object that may have caused confusion.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    www.CurtRenz.com/astronomical