Thread: NGC 1560 Maffei galaxy in some IFN

NGC 1560 Maffei galaxy in some IFN

NGC 1560 is a spiral galaxy above my 70 north limit due to my Polaris Tree. But only by a degree so it's only in the very edges of the tree for much of its circle around the pole. By taking 5 hours of data with it east of the pole I was able to find 3 L images, 2 red, 2 green and 3 blue that weren't too bothered by pine needles. They still made for some interesting halos around bright stars and color prism effects to those halos. I've removed these the best I can. The picture looks noisy but I think it real and due to the IFN. It is located in a part of the sky known to have IFN but I didn't expect only 30 minutes of data to bring it out like this. It just barely shows in the DSS plates and then only if you really stretch the heck out of them but the brightest parts match my image so not all the fuzz is due to pine needles.

NGC 1560 is a Maffei Galaxy in that is it is a member of this heavily obscured, but very nearby, group of galaxies that includes Maffei 1 and 2 as well as IC 342 and Arp 210 as well as some other dwarf galaxies like UGCA 86, 92, 105 and UGC 2773, Cam A, B, and D and a few others some found by radio telescopes like Dwingeloo 1 and 2. Most are below my 70 degree limit so are on my to-do list but I don't know when I'll get to those not yet imaged.

NGC 1560 is classed as an SA(s)d spiral. It is located in the constellation of Camelopardalis (a giraffe not a camel) I have seen several distance estimates ranging from 7.5 to 16 million light-years. This close redshift is worthless. In fact it has a blue shift meaning it is approaching us. Most sources seem to average out at about 10 million light years. The problem is how to take into account the dimming due to looking through all the dust and gas of our galaxy. Different estimates of this dimming give different distances.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=3x10', RG=2x10'x3, B=3x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=3010&stc=1

Rick

Wow! Very pretty and liked how the stars came out. An Excellent image of this pretty galaxy. Welldone Rick and Clear Skies.

This looks familiar to me -- it was the first object I participated in imaging. A friend and I went to the Advanced Observing Program at Kitt Peak and took this image through the 20" RC with an ST-10. That night got me completely hooked on imaging.

The night started well too. It was cloudy, so most of the general public program people left early. The guide from the visitors center took the last four of us on a custom tour of several of the telescopes at Kitt Peak, most notably the WIYN 3.5 meter and the submilimeter dish. It was great.

This image certainly brings back some good memories!

--Andy

And no pine needles in the way!

Sure wish I had Kitt Peak seeing! Your shot shows the same red tinge to the western edge mine did. I'd toned it down in my image attributing it to pine needles. Now I need to go back and not do that! Really odd about that red. Might be dust absorbing longer frequencies. In any case it wasn't pine needles.

That must have been back when Adam Block was doing a lot of imaging with that scope before moving to the Mt. Lemmon program.

A friend of mine did design work on the WYNN scope and took me on a tour many years ago as it was being built. The program you attended was just in the early planning stages then unfortunately.

Rick

Rick,

It was when Adam was running the program, but he was unavailable that night and Flynn Haas helped us out.

As I recall it was a very windy night, I'm not sure how good the seeing was. Still, a lot of fun.

--Andy

Hi Rick:
    This galaxy I don't know.
    But I find it very attractive.
    Grettings
    Cesar