Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THe causes & effects of highly ionized H2O

THe causes & effects of highly ionized H2O

20100706 "only post topics relating to space and astronomy."

truely i have no idea wether IonIzed H2O violates the onLY rules OR not
    its not my inTENT to violate their rule! It seams to me ThaT THis belongs here?
    however i understand their letters of intent (i assume base26) less than thEy mine: /-/Ub' theoriisTS
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-06 at 01:33 PM. Reason: SpellingS

My chemistry knowledge is a bit old and rusty, just like the container in which it is stored... But isn't highly ionised H2O... hydrogen peroxide...? {grins, showing very white teeth..}

Or is there a current story doing the rounds I've missed?

Hoo Boy. I don't know if this is what HUb' is referring to, but I googled "ionized H2O" and the top hit was some blog pushing a "water ionizer" for supposed health benefits. I won't link it as I don't want to help them advertise this nonsense, but the page is painful to read.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

20100707 W 7:47AM PDT 2:47PM gmT Thanks it helps to get feedback on a complex issue

to begin this 7:53-57 Edit? lemme say i do NOT use google.
    here is the seventh link where i searched
    http://www.phconnection.com/What_is__Ionized_Water.html
    Maroon? at this time 7:55 i have seen the word negative (-)
    THUS i'LL assume that to be the case for the moment (its really easy to Miss lead me) at this stage however

How is ionized water hydrogen peroxide? They are different molecules. H2O2 v. H2O. Usually ionized water refers to metallic ions dissolved in the water, but water itself can't be ionized, as far as I understand it (I am not a chemist).

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants, "Destination Moon"

Looking at the link supplied by Hub', which I assume goes to the root of his question.

http://www.phconnection.com/What_is__Ionized_Water.html

The website is apparently trying to sell a product to increase the pH of water. (ie, produce an excess of HO-, their 'ionised' water.)

I am not going to debate the health benefits claimed for 'ionised' water (although I doubt there are any).

What I will say is that the chemistry on the website is seriously flawed. One example: they claim to be splitting the water into OH- and HO. I don't know where the +ve charge is supposed to be going, or where they think the extra oxygen atom comes from.
    Last edited by Kadava; 2010-Jul-07 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

From the above link:
    Strong, pure hydroxyl ions, negatively charged hydrogen atoms that actively seeks out positively charged oxygen free radicals already wrecking havoc on our bodies at a cellular level.
    I don't know of any biologically significant positively charged reactive oxygen. Most are negatively charged (peroxide, superoxide) or neutral (hydroxyl radical). Most of those are produced by your own cells, btw.

Nick

20100708 U 4:49AM-5:25 pdT 11-12 Gmt i use blue on even numbered days red for ODD

eventuall? some one may arive here (this thread) who has chemist credentials?/?
    I on the other hand have none: however EVEN at this time i AM rather sure?/?
    i'LL be arguing in opposition. My background for this comes from a couple of years: (mid '60s
    ------------
    spent with an "ASSAYER" an assayers job is two fold Quant & Qual
    OR maybe i should say Qual and Quant Q-Q for short
    an Assayers job is to say something like the following
    ===========
    these ROCKS assay to contain .03 Oz (of Gold) per ton (of ORE)
    the speak of a "Quantity" like 3 or .3 or .03 (by weight) as i REMember
    they use their own meaning Meaning T not A Troy not Averdupoise ?/?
    : : : :
    its been so long ago i forget the exact details and could well be using a wrong word someplace
    what i REMember best is the tail. E.C.S. had spent some time with T. Edison (at MenLo}:
    Edison never believed in Radio and E did so they T&E never got along very well & S came West
    ? ?
    to be amoung the Natives (Nez Perce): where i studied the Methods. not that these lines matter
    they probably have no bearing whatsoever on the situation FOURTHcomming only that its My
    turn NOT TO BELIEVE in (um}? the radio. Turn it OFF? if U can
    /TilT\
    there is another view i have about this topic i did not understand at the time and still that is a question to me
    WHEN in April of 58 the US did their "UNdeR" water test the water column rose || straigth up Vertically
    for tens of thousands of feet as if contained by a transparent invisable straw. to me it appeared more like
    it was lifted from above than pushed up from below. i donno pleas dont quote these lines
    ~bt~
    at some spacific height (above the waters of the pacific){ewenatok atoll} ({i donno the number}) Maybe 21 thousand feet
    the perfectly straight column came to an abrupt halt as if it had hit the under side of a glass plate. Clearly to me it appeared
    that it no longer knew what to do. it jus stopped. confused: finally it just began to spread out. once it decided to SPREAD
    it soon formed into the mushroom shape it is so famous for. I on the other hand REMember it for is || vertical column Straight Sides
    .BB.
    but becuse not a drop was out of place for the whole trip G=0 to 21 thousand feet (in a few seconds}? it was truley amazing
    I do believe it could have gone from earth to moon and never lost an OZ it was so well (Um}? contained / content
    anyway the ionized phase of this ? mega tons ? of water tail come later. I have no idea exactly when it became HiLee Ionized
    that it did there is no doubt in my mind. before it rose? durring RISE, or once at 21K (or whatever the number) idonno i'donno donno.
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-08 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added a missing space

20100709 7:18pdT- 7:27pdT 2:27:?? gmT ?
    yeah good critics wordless, at least for a momen &so Now this:

? CHEMICAL ELEMENT sc ? the 5th Search link =ed http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...26542/scandium

this is not CURRENTLY related to the iON situation: HOWever my guess is its realitively related (at a later time)

this demo is to hint at my approach to modern computer cemistry as partcapated in at the ciurrent time 2010

20100709 7:40AM-7:55 "off line rumblings" ? 21 thousand foot vertical colume H2O
    -
    My view? left= bottom water +|====================|- top air (ionized}?
    = =
    it is my guess? the reason the column was able to maintain such a sharp focus
    for such a long distance was it was contained in the "ELECTRICAL FIELD"
    : : :
    BY THAT? i tend to inply that it was at least as much pulled up by forces above
    rather than pushed up by forces below. (THINK4YOUSELF) My guess is the "focus"
    was even greater that that of laser light beamed to the Lunar serface for LLR!
    ? ? ? ?
    HERE? also i refer to a negative"-" sign and assume it to be (i mean IT"-"
    could possibly be equated to a largEr number that the 100M associated to the +
    OR x? it IS my guess that PULL Xceeded PUSH by a large %tile (i donno) NOR do
    i know how (at this time) to get a grasp on eithor + or - 's numeric Values(Q)

20100709 4:00 PM pdT apt My propaganda goes like this
    -
    I AM not opposed to global warming. in fact i'm in favor of it, OPENing the NW passage, etc.
    = =
    however i do not want to trap myself in global issues nor take on cosmological theory (much)
    near space for sure the OZONE Layer,(next) Van Allen belt, the Moon, Venus, Mars, & Astroids
    i'LL call it NEAR Space in an Astronomy Field sence, & move along. Ozone Hole ?
    http://www.theozonehole.com/ this is the 3rd entry on the search page where i start?/?
    ?ozone? 4th entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone {{ found ozone electronegative
    ? ? ? ?
    i did NOT find what i was looking for: How (Quantity) Much electro -
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-09 at 11:32 PM.

Std enthalpy of formation ΔfHo298 +142.3 kJ·mol−1

http://chemconnections.org/modules/ozone/

20100712 8:08AM pdT SBA340pc30 mind blank:
    20100711 1:26-1:47 gmT apt
    -
    i feel like that colume of "verticle" water as it reached the ?"FLAT"? space (i donno what to do): spread out?
    = =
    anyway i was trying to: edit the prior post (edit din work}? to eXpress this concern about trying to ::"QUANTITIZE"::
    IN MY MIND(some how comprehendable to me) the negative charge on ?" the small mist particles "? tha decended T+Hr or more?/?
    Listen: i've no concept (in Chemistery):: what the prior post actually means (to me there is a before & and after and some change
    in energy?/? Usually HEAT is eithor given off (or is required to be inserted (in the :::::" process "::::: of making the change ...&I
    have no idea if in a formula of that type if a plus sign means hot out (OR IF HOT OUT = -) &I tossed my CH books (Last move)
    ? ? ? ?
    THus if there is ever going to be an UNderstanding (for example Y i couldnt edit the FORMuLAtION) OR what it means PHysically
    it will have to be provided by some other party or person {maybe a link}? in the mean time can i get my REMaining brain cell bACK
    to the Question? the Quantity of the CHARGE upON the mist fragments? (thAT decended}: from above onto 7 & the birds & plants
    on the isle? assuming that THAT is indeed what happened" focus on the floria fotos " more so than the fawnA as its vegies not Proteam
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-12 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadava View Post
    The website is apparently trying to sell a product to increase the pH of water. (ie, produce an excess of HO-, their 'ionised' water.)
    That's a base claim. I'd say they're lye-ing....

One example: they claim to be splitting the water into OH- and HO
    Oh geez. Hang on to your wallets. The correct form is -OH, not OH-, as the negative charge is coming from an unfilled orbital on the Oxygen, not the Hydrogen. Ain't no such thing as "HO". The H+ actually exists in a H(+)H20 form; there is no free floating proton.

The ions in "deionized" water refer generally to alkali metal salts, not hydroxy or hydronium radicals.

That being said, there's nothing like a good water filtration system because normal tapwater is full of all sorts of crap. That doesn't strike me as a good filtration system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozola View Post
    . Ain't no such thing as "HO"...
    Not to detract from your other points but there is an "HO" but it's an extremely reactive free radical. One common way to generate it in solution is by the Fenton reaction, which is one reason your body takes very great pains to make sure your concentration of free (uncoordinated or unbound) Fe2+ is kept very low.

Nick

Of course it's always possible to get the electrons balanced out in lots of unstable ways....not that you'd want to drink it...

Splitting nits, as it were. IUPAC rules. O precedes H, regardless of charge distribution. To say "HO" is to say you know no chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by HUb' View Post
    eventuall? some one may arive here (this thread) who has chemist credentials?/?
    I understand Swift has pretty solid chemist credentials, so if you like you may want to ask him if he'd like to respond.

< Lurch voice - "You rang" >

I'm not sure what the question is.

I looked over the linked website. There are some bits and pieces that are true, but there is also a lot of nonsense.
    This is naturally occurring ionized water, and just for once, technology has delivered a 'clean' answer to us in the form of the Jupiter Science Ionizers, which emulate the same conversion of glacial H2O into pure alkaline, ionized, oxygenated drinking water, by 'splitting' H2O (Two Hydrogen atoms, one oxygen atom) into two separate streams of water;

We drink the alkaline ionized water and we apply the acid water. How simple and how wonderful! And in our own case, how healing!
    Even 100% water will have ions in it. There is always an equilibrium in water between H2O and a mixture of H+ and OH- (and it doesn't matter where you put the symbol for charge). This equilibrium is expressed:

H2O = H+ + OH-.

In pure water, the concentration of each of the two ions in 1 x 10-7, and it is from this that we get that a neutral pH is 7.

If you add substances that increase the concentration of protons (H+), the pH goes down and we call it an acid. If we add substance that increase the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-), the pH goes up and we call it a base.

There are lots of ways to do that - if you want to drink some slightly basic water, add a little baking soda (I don't personally think it will taste good, but have fun). But I can't imagine why mild bases are healthy and mild acids are not (orange juice and tomato juice being examples of mild acids). I think their health claims are completely bogus.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

OK, now I'll put my mod hat on.

I don't see a conspiracy theory here, just some bad chemistry and bad health advice. I'm moving this thread to Science & Technology. If someone thinks that is a bad move, let us know.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

6:25-6:

My GUESS: wiLL be "the vertical colume"(||) had stucture?/?
    by that i mean it was actually a solid something like ice (the arangement}?
    i do not in my wildest imagination visualize 21 thousand feet of (fluid) ?/?/?

tue sched apt/bbc\5:30 crt/tennis\8:30 NA/computer\9:30 Stott/roof\10:30
    CH1/SW\12:34 tomorrows 2010 r u Le (LiT)

That's a base claim. I'd say they're lye-ing....

Oh geez. Hang on to your wallets. The correct form is -OH, not OH-, as the negative charge is coming from an unfilled orbital on the Oxygen, not the Hydrogen. Ain't no such thing as "HO". The H+ actually exists in a H(+)H20 form; there is no free floating proton.

The ions in "deionized" water refer generally to alkali metal salts, not hydroxy or hydronium radicals.
    That being said, there's nothing like a good water filtration system because normal tapwater is full of all sorts of crap. That doesn't strike me as a good filtration system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
    Not to detract from your other points but there is an "HO" but it's an extremely reactive free radical. One common way to generate it in solution is by the Fenton reaction, which is one reason your body takes very great pains to make sure your concentration of free (uncoordinated or unbound) Fe2+ is kept very low. Nick
    Of course it's always possible to get the electrons balanced out in lots of unstable ways....not that you'd want to drink it...
    Splitting nits, as it were. IUPAC rules. O precedes H, regardless of charge distribution. To say "HO" is to say you know no chemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I understand Swift has pretty solid chemist credentials, so if you like you may want to ask him if he'd like to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I'm not sure what the question is.

I looked over the linked website. There are some bits and pieces that are true, but there is also a lot of nonsense.

Even 100% water will have ions in it. There is always an equilibrium in water between H2O and a mixture of H+ and OH- (and it doesn't matter where you put the symbol for charge). This equilibrium is expressed:

H2O = H+ + OH-.

In pure water, the concentration of each of the two ions in 1 x 10-7, and it is from this that we get that a neutral pH is 7.

If you add substances that increase the concentration of protons (H+), the pH goes down and we call it an acid. If we add substance that increase the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-), the pH goes up and we call it a base.

There are lots of ways to do that - if you want to drink some slightly basic water, add a little baking soda (I don't personally think it will taste good, but have fun). But I can't imagine why mild bases are healthy and mild acids are not (orange juice and tomato juice being examples of mild acids). I think their health claims are completely bogus.
    OK, now I'll put my mod hat on.

I don't see a conspiracy theory here, just some bad chemistry and bad health advice. I'm moving this thread to Science & Technology. If someone thinks that is a bad move, let us know.
    20100713 yeah: i checked the date the time is now about 6:50
    Quick Navigation Science and Technology
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....30#post1749230
    6:54 my approach "showthread" click HU
    THe causes & effects of highly ionized H2O Posted by HUb', 11-July-2010 01:47 PM Replies: 17 Views: 538 Last Post: Today 01:09 PM by Swift Forum: Science and
    ?"FRICTION"? 6:57

?7pdT?=2Gmt
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-14 at 12:01 PM.

20100713 7:57 aM pdT

i did convert what i saw A CHemISt convay to me into an image.jpg?

I was ATTempting to resolve ?/? H2O = H + + OH -
    H2O = H+ + OH-.
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-13 at 03:01 PM. Reason: H2O = H+ + OH-.

Why did the Jackson 5 just pop into my head?
    Just call my name, and I'll be theeeeeere.

Could this possibly have something to do with the idea of pH levels retarding cancer cell growth? I haven't gone through the website, as by the time I got here it was said to be bogus in it's nature. If that's at all relevant to the site, is that pH level/cancer cell thing a legitimate, widely accepted thing in the medical world? A close ex-workmate of mine who's having all sorts of cancer troubles has said many times that this is an important thing to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Why did the Jackson 5 just pop into my head?
    Just call my name, and I'll be theeeeeere.

Could this possibly have something to do with the idea of pH levels retarding cancer cell growth? I haven't gone through the website, as by the time I got here it was said to be bogus in it's nature. If that's at all relevant to the site, is that pH level/cancer cell thing a legitimate, widely accepted thing in the medical world? A close ex-workmate of mine who's having all sorts of cancer troubles has said many times that this is an important thing to know.
    20100714 the medical news contained in the final sentance just above, could contain concepts i would agree too. /-/Ub'

20100714 5:11AM - 5: pdt 12pmG apt My argument with myself about the
    :::::"Quantity":::::
    of the electric? potential?/?
    of the two ? components
    will be attempted?/?/?/?/?

20100713 7:57 aM pdT

i did convert what i saw A CHemISt convay to me into an image.jpg?

I was ATTempting to resolve ?/? H2O = H + + OH -
    H2O = H+ + OH-.
    http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/phy...Chapter25.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_energy
    http://academic.reed.edu/chemistry/r...potential.html
    http://videolectures.net/mit802s02_lewin_lec04/
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-14 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Links

20100720 T 4:18AM apt today?global(small talk (not near space cosmic terms)?/?
    http://maya12-21-2012.com/2012forum/...d-cosmic-rays/

20100719 M 6:35AM apt near space cosmic terms
    looking for 4 electrons from the sun? {the interval of ?
    http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php pdx/sh2
    http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/show...1592#post61592 My (not Anhs) thread
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/stereo/STEREO_data.html WHERE: i find 30 days
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/stereo/impact_B_30d_w.html 30 days behind

20100718 4:28AM (even) todays dribble will assume 4 electrons from the sun arive in the blue 'PACIFIC' TWO(2) days
    after leaving the SUN followed shortly thereafter by their acompanying protons the next day. 4:33AM(odd)|according to
    "Yesterday 07:24 PM " the spacific spot in the Pacific is ?"REDUCED"? untill the next day
    when proTONs arive there too /-/U?
    20100717 s 6:42AM apt the two tab approach to "electromotive series" LINK? TAKES TIME 6:54AMpdT 1:54pmG
    2:04z- ? 2  H2O + 2 e− H2(g) + 2 OH− -0.8277 −0.8277 2:07z
    20100716 F 5:06AM pdT apt "So, what do you want to know"1. Quantity of the CHARGE(s) 2: ABsolute or a Range 3: who says
    20100715 U 4:32 apt rebooted XP brief segment about Neclear days TBC in the falll see GREEN link below
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-21 at 02:34 PM. Reason: 16 17 18b&B etc

So, what do you want to know????????????????????????????????

The website with the "healthy OH-" and the "evel HO" is totally non-science and new-agy WooooWooooWoooo cow manure, you can't take a word serious on that page, except for the fact that OH- indeed exists in all water.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Some followup to the estimable swift:

The site seems to have no real idea of the differences between positive ions, negative ions and free radicals (there can also be radical ions). Their chemical properties are quite different.

One confusion might be the use of the equals (=) sign in the chemical equation. I don't know if there is a code that works, but the actual symbol is opposing arrows (half-arrows, or harpoons, actually); an approximation is:

H2O<=====>H+ + OH-

The meaning is that the equilibrium is dynamic, not static. Water molecules are continuously disassociating and reforming. At any given moment about one in ten million (swift's 1 x 10-7) is ionized.

Note (to emphasize!) this is the normal state of pure water, called autoprotolysis. Water cannot exist without H+ and OH-, you can only change the ratio of the two.

There seems to be a confusion between ions and radicals that I just can't figure out there.

As far as alkaline water being better for you or curing diseases, I'm sorry but that just isn't true. Why ? because any water you drink will be absorbed by the body and buffered (have its pH adjusted) by the body itself. The pH of blood is almost exactly 7.4 (slightly basic) and various mechanisms in the body regulate it very closely.

The site confuses pH with redox potentials. pH measures the hydrogen ion concentration. Redox potential measures the voltage required to drive a chemical reaction to one side or the other of those <=====> arrows. Begin by understanding that 'redox' is a contraction of 'reduction-oxidation'. To reduce something means to add electrons to an atom or molecule. Conversely, to oxidize it means to remove electrons.

Also, to define the redox potential value you must know the consitiutents on each side of the double arrow. As an example:

O2 + 4H+ + 4e- <=====> 2 H2O

The 4e- indicates electrons must be added to push the reaction to the right. If electrons are removed the reaction will go to the left. You do this by changing the polarity of the applied voltage.

The oxidation (or reduction) potential of a given reaction is a constant. For the reaction above the potential is 1.2 volts.

This water can be measured with an ORP meter, and its redox (oxidation reduction potential) is +400 to +500 mV. Because it has a positive redox potential, it is apt to acquire electrons and oxidize other molecules, and then rob your body of electrons in the form of energy..
    Huh? This makes no sense at all at first. BUT, I'm going to guess the number referred to is from the reaqction

O2 + 2 H2O + 4e- <=====> 2 OH-

Where water reacts with dissolved oxygen gas to produce hydroxyl ions. 'Robbing your body of electrons in the form of energy' is technobabble with no reference to reality.

Reduced Ionized Water, on the other hand, has a negative redox potential of approximately -250 to -250 mV. This means it has a large mass of electrons ready to donate to electron-thieving active oxygen in the form of free radicals. It is 'Live Water', similar in atomic structure to the waters that the Hunzakuts drank directly from glacial streams in the high Himalayas.
    Again, I can make neither head nor tail of this, because it makes no chemical sense. The idea that water can be given a bunch of extra electrons to reduce active oxygen (oxygen gas in its normal atmospheric state is a fairly stable diradical) makes no chemical sense.

An advertisment for ionized water treatment from a local shopping centre claims it will result in a full body purge of all vital organs.

I hope people are smart enough to realize that purging your body of vital organs isn't a very bright idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    An advertisment for ionized water treatment from a local shopping centre claims it will result in a full body purge of all vital organs.

I hope people are smart enough to realize that purging your body of vital organs isn't a very bright idea.
    Yeah, I didn't really want those kidneys, anyway.

20100721 7:54 AM pdT apt prep time ? today odd = red = near space cosmic
    My attention is drawn to the 0.8277 Numbers
    for example why two? (i donno) are they the same
    seven base 7 and 7 base TEN represent the same number
    however 77 base seven & 77 base 10 do not! how do i know?/?
    and whats this (and number) jive "&#" (i donno). i think i understand
    sub & sup numbers from 1763803 (Mike) thank U M

Standard_electrode_potential_
    H2(g) + 2 OH− -0.8277 −0.8277 2:07z
    Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    So, what do you want to know? in all water.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Some followup to the estimable swift:
    H2O<=====>H+ + OH-
    about one in ten million (swift's 1 x 10-7) is ionized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    An advertisment for ionized water treat
    Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Yeah, I didn't
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Jul-21 at 03:09 PM. Reason: M