Thread: Titan rising over Enceladus' plumes

Titan rising over Enceladus' plumes

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002497/

This is a pretty astounding sequence of images from Cassini. I'm not sure whether it was taken deliberately or just by chance but the image of Titan rising over Enceladus is one of the most amazing Cassini's taken IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG_ View Post
    http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002497/
    I'm not sure whether it was taken deliberately or just by chance but the image of Titan rising over Enceladus is one of the most amazing Cassini's taken IMO.
    Believe me, Cassini mission planners leave very little up to "chance". This sequence was deliberate and planned many months ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ugordan View Post
    Believe me, Cassini mission planners leave very little up to "chance". This sequence was deliberate and planned many months ahead of time.
    There's an interview with Carolyn Porco somewhere, where she speaks about that, and how much work goes into it. Not just for scientific purposes, but also for esthetics. I've searched for it before, can't find it anymore. Maybe it was on TV.

But it's worth it... beauty!

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I took the bottom (combined) picture, rotated it so that Titan rises over Enceladus, and have my new screen background!

Wow.

You can see the shadow of Enceladus in the thin mist rising from the plumes; something like the shadow of Earth you sometimes see at sunset in our own atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Wow.

You can see the shadow of Enceladus in the thin mist rising from the plumes; something like the shadow of Earth you sometimes see at sunset in our own atmosphere.
    So that's what those roughly horizontal patterns are. I was wondering what caused those.

But this was a composite wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    But this was a composite wasn't it?
    Only the last one that combined Enceladus' geysers with the pic of Titan behind the rings.

Oh, I was wondering what those darker wedges of shadow near the base of the plumes might be - that would probably explain it. You reckon it's shadows from the topography right on the limb there?

It seems likely to be the case. In what respect is this image a composite? That might affect any interpretation of the shadows and other phenomena in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    It seems likely to be the case. In what respect is this image a composite? That might affect any interpretation of the shadows and other phenomena in the picture.
    Emily explains all in the article. Essentially, Titan and the rings are from another image taken later in the sequence, and the plumes are superimposed over them.

I see. Well, if the Enceladus data all comes from a single image, then I can't imagine what else the shadows might be apart from Enceladus' own topology.