Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

Bears ar eazy, a shout to freeze them and chop.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Finished The Witcher 2 over the weekend. Great game. Very great. Also been playing the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier beta. It's a lot of fun.
    Just had a look at the various games I have from Steam, I wonder what it tells about my gaming tastes that I logged 80 hours of The Witcher in one play through to the end then haven't touched it since, while I've logged 156+ hours of X3: Albion Prelude since I fetched it on April 15th.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Bears ar eazy, a shout to freeze them and chop.
    Hrm. I keep forgetting my shouts, actually.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Moose

Having "Impact" perk with firebolt is very effective also (I barely use shouts, I forget them too)

I haven't really played Skyrim much recently. Haven;t even finished the main quest line on any character.

Someone said that they were level 78 and trying to "finish" the game. I don't think it ever does finish. The main idea is to finish the main quest line I think. The rest is just extra

I didn't know that there were mods for it. I probably won't bother with those, although not having my companion die everytime I use fireball would be nice

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill View Post
    Having "Impact" perk with firebolt is very effective also (I barely use shouts, I forget them too)
    Yeah, I'm going to budget for Impact this run-through. I wish the flames/lightning hands scaled, though.

I didn't know that there were mods for it. I probably won't bother with those, although not having my companion die everytime I use fireball would be nice
    If you're not modding Beth games, you're missing out on the finest modding platforms known to humanity. Seriously, go here, pick your game, and browse the Top-100 and File of the Month lists. I guarantee you'll find something you want. (If you decide to try some, and you find you need a hand with the nexus mod manager, skyrim script extender, and/or the 4gb awareness patch, let me know. I'll walk you through.)

Not Skyrim related, but since I finished my current stuff I have a chance to play through the GameFly rentals I have out. Want to try to finish them before TC's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Max Payne 3 come out here in a week and a half. Of the two games I have out, one is supposed to be horrible and the other pretty good. I started with the horrible one to get it out of the way.

So, I sat down today and fired up <em>Ninja Gaiden 3</em>. I got through a little over half the game in my sitting. I can very certainly see what earned it its poor reputation, but I have to say I don't *completely* hate it. It's more like a game that *almost* did things right, but fell short in every category. The aggregate of the problems make it pretty bad, but it was soo close to being pretty darn good. If the Indians and Crew games weren't running one after the other tonight, I'd probably have finished it.

The next-in-line is <em>Yakuza 4</em>.

Speaking of Skyrim (once I'm done this play through of New Vegas) anyway, I wandered over to Malukah's youtube page. (If you recall Malukah is the young lady who recorded that superb cover of "The Dragonborn Comes" and "Age of Aggression". (She's since added Age of Oppression here.)

It seems she's branching out a bit, and covered Reignite, about Mass Effect 3's Shepard. Worth a listen.

^^ What Moose says. skyrim.nexusmods.com has thousands of mods, some tiny and some quite major. Everyting from a few extra ingredients for food and potions to new NPCs, Guilds and Races, whole new quest lines, towns and complete texture packs etc.

There is a good Forum attached where you can get help. with any conflicts that might arise.
    All Moderation in Purple

Someone said that they were level 78 and trying to "finish" the game. I don't think it ever does finish. The main idea is to finish the main quest line I think. The rest is just extra

Pete
    Yeah, that was me. By 'finish', I meant get all of my skills up to 100 (this happens part way through level 81). I'm on Level 81 now and just need to finish off Destruction (currently 96) and Restoration (97) to do this.

I've completed the main quest lines (Alduin, the Civil War, the Companions quests, the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild etc) and have been scratching around for things to do. While some of these quest lines are endless, they can get very repetitive. I have got all 63 shouts, the Jagged Crown and 7 of the 8 Dragon Priest masks etc - it is only my innate stubborness that refuses to quit until all 100s are in the bag, after which I will happily put it behind me!!

Install some new quests or even some of the new 'lands' that are being Modded.

Or start again and play it in a different style. I was thinking of having a go through playing it in a 'Thief' style using stealthy techniques, sneaking around, picking locks and pockets, using invisibility, backstabbing to get kills etc
    All Moderation in Purple

Yep, I thought about doing that. However, there is a slight complication with a spousal-related promise regarding certain outstanding household renovations that were made contingent to completion of the current game... I am not confident that adding new lands would be warmly received, and I am quite certain that starting again would not be!

I'll think about it later this year though - I have very much enjoyed playing it and would be interested to see the new quests available.

I read somewhere, ithinkfrom one of my friends who played it a lot when it first came out, of a guy who was playing it as a pacifist. He got to level 20 or so maybe, but it would take forever to get much past that, i imagine.

Just googled it, there are a number of them doing it. There is apparently a challenge to see how far they can get. One guy is level 35, but he isnt a true pacifist, he gets others to kill the dragons for him. Heheh.

There are loads of options, you could play as a pure fighter, not using any kind of magicat all or even charmed weapons and armour. Pure magic user not even carrying a blade or wearing armour. Then there is the 'imperial' or 'stormcloak' choice in the civil war storyline. and I ma sure there are others.
    All Moderation in Purple

I'll be starting in the Beta Test of the new MMO, The Secret World (Urban Conspiracy/Fanatsy), sometime tonight!

. . . or even charmed weapons and armour . . .
    I always wondered if these were any good, since in past TES games they were fairly lackluster. But I'm considering starting a new character and going that route if I ever get a chance to get back into the game.

Some of them are quite powerful in Skyrim. Especially as your Enchanting skill gets up there.

Even at the start (<20 level), whether your sword is out of charges or not can mean the difference between an easy fight or death.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Diablo 3 is coming out soon. Is this a game people are generally interested in? I might play it, but probably not right away

Pete

Diablo 3 is coming out soon. Is this a game people are generally interested in? I might play it, but probably not right away

Pete
    I would love to play it. I'm a loot-wh...collector, and get so addicted to those games. I played Torchlight every night for like a month. Love Diablo 2 as well. But alas, this laptop won't run D3, and it'll likely be a long, long time before D3 comes to console (though it sounds like that's a likely eventuality.)

Charmed Weapons can be good, if you don't find one you like you can use the Enchanting SKill to create one. I woudln't go out without my Vampiric Sword. It sucks the health out of your opponent and adds it to your score. It can be a lifesaver. As long as you have plenty of filled 'Soul Gems' to keep it charged up. I tend to carry an unenchanted blade for dealing with the mundane things and keep the Charmed weapon for hard fights.
    All Moderation in Purple

Incidentally, I was still fairly low level (~20) when I stopped playing it and even though I have spent money on several quite expensive empty soul gems, I keep getting a massage that I don't have any large enough soul gems when I kill things above rat size (petty soul), what's with that?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Incidentally, I was still fairly low level (~20) when I stopped playing it and even though I have spent money on several quite expensive empty soul gems, I keep getting a massage that I don't have any large enough soul gems when I kill things above rat size (petty soul), what's with that?
    I like the sound of this game!

What I wish for keeps interfering with what I intended to write.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    I'll be starting in the Beta Test of the new MMO, The Secret World (Urban Conspiracy/Fanatsy), sometime tonight!
    You might want to keep quiet about that, IIRC the NDA hasn't been lifted yet...
    ETA: Or are they starting the pre-order beta now, like GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    What I wish for keeps interfering with what I intended to write.
    That's the best definition of "Freudian slip" I've ever heard!

Charmed Weapons can be good, if you don't find one you like you can use the Enchanting SKill to create one. I woudln't go out without my Vampiric Sword. It sucks the health out of your opponent and adds it to your score. It can be a lifesaver. As long as you have plenty of filled 'Soul Gems' to keep it charged up. I tend to carry an unenchanted blade for dealing with the mundane things and keep the Charmed weapon for hard fights.
    Bah. See how long it's been since I've played? I had the terms confused. I don't mean charmed/enchanted weapons. I was curious about conjured weapon magic. From what I've read, conjured weapons -- or at least the bow -- are very strong up to a certain point, then become useless. They seem so cool though.

Heh. "Bound weapons". Yeah, they're okay, but they're pretty ugly. (I almost exclusively use reasonably-balanced modded gear.)

Soul Gems are of different sizes and have different capacities. Kill a Human or Elf fgor example you need a Black Soul Gem to fit a humanoid soul. Kill a Rat and it will go into whatever gem you have, You can only have one soul per gem, if it's a Black Gem then even though it only captured a rat soul it will appear to be full.
    Dropping a filled gem sometimes empties it. Useful if you get a 'petty' soul in a grand gem by mistake.
    Don't buy charged Gems until you are rich, use the empty ones you find around the place and learn the 'Soul Trap' to capture souls or find a weapon with the Soul Trap charm. Or if you are on a PC use the console to give yourself the charged gems

If you open the console and click on anything in the world it will show you its code then use the command "player.additem (item code) (number of items)"

so to give yourself filled five Grand Soul Gems filled with souls type

player.additem 0002e4ff 5
    All Moderation in Purple

There are several good Skyrim resources online. My faves are

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim for general advice, console commands, item descriptions etc

and

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/

for all the Mods
    All Moderation in Purple

Soul Gems are of different sizes and have different capacities. Kill a Human or Elf fgor example you need a Black Soul Gem to fit a humanoid soul. Kill a Rat and it will go into whatever gem you have, You can only have one soul per gem, if it's a Black Gem then even though it only captured a rat soul it will appear to be full.
    Dropping a filled gem sometimes empties it. Useful if you get a 'petty' soul in a grand gem by mistake.
    Don't buy charged Gems until you are rich, use the empty ones you find around the place and learn the 'Soul Trap' to capture souls or find a weapon with the Soul Trap charm.<cheat snipped, I don't do those>
    The thing is, I do have an empty Grand Soul Gem as well as several others of smaller sizes.
    I do have the Soul Trap spell (and Soul Stealer) and can trap any number of petty souls with either bound or enchanted weapons, it's the result when Soul Trap gets a "bigger" soul that's irritating.
    I can't seem to trap anything larger than a petty soul without being told that I don't have a gem it'll fit in.