Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

I didn't mind the freefall bit, It's was the piloting the VTOL thing to get off the island that was a drag. I wasn'tthat keen on the tank driving bit either.
    Stalking NVA Patrols through the jungle or clearing the buildings was good.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

AH, I forgot about the VTOL. I do remember and didn't like the tank. If I remember correctly, I turned on the cheats for the tank to get through it quickly.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I have exactly one question about Mass Effect 3. Am I on the clock? Do I have to be selective about the high-priority interventions currently piling up?

/ Minimal spoilers please, and if there's risk of spoiling for others, answer(s) via PM would be appreciated.
    // I'll say this: the game is really selling the urgency for me.
    A few do have order priority, but none really have a time limit. Order priority is critical in situations where you have multiple missions on the same planet (Tuchanka and Rannoch). Typically, handling the N7 missions for Hackett between priorities will not cause any issues with timeliness (your re-introduction to Jack is a BIG exception to this!)

Also, side missions (planet scan missions) can be VERY critical, as some are only available to complete in the early part of the game before the Citadel's status changes. And the remainder can't be completed once you engage the final mission sequence in the Horsehead Nebula. Its a careful balance, as some side missions you get early can't be completed until after the Citadel's status changes. It's a pain in the caboose, but for the Master and Commander award and the maximum points possible (I'm at 7100+ points before readiness multiplier).

/blame Moose for getting me into this

I've started modding Skyrim, and having a ball with it. The best one so far is the companion limit mod. Not that I'll ever have 100 companions at once, but my girlie horde is kickin' caboose.

Lydia, the Dark Elf Mage, and redheaded werewolfie. Definitely a big help with ever orbiting dragons with Aela and Elfchickie handling ranged duty. I still get my hits in, because lines of sight aren't always clear, but I do tend not to get overrun anymore.

My son is into Syrim at the moment. It looks good but he has it on his Xbox and I can't get away with the controllers for 1st person games and I am too tight to buy it again for the PC.
    All Moderation in Purple

Ultimate Marvel verses Capcom 3 arrived in the mail from GameFly yesterday. I think it's a fighting game but I can't tell what's going on. The screen is just exploding in colorful effects all over the place until the words "You Win!" or "You Lose!" show up on screen? :-P I didn't get much time to play it last night though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	335sexy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	16610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	335sexy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	16610

I am playing a Blonde Gibson 335

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    A few do have order priority, but none really have a time limit. Order priority is critical in situations where you have multiple missions on the same planet (Tuchanka and Rannoch). Typically, handling the N7 missions for Hackett between priorities will not cause any issues with timeliness (your re-introduction to Jack is a BIG exception to this!)
    I noticed about Jack. (Actually chose to restart rather than play through. I didn't mind playing Tuchanka again.) BTW, the order doesn't matter on Tuchanka. I've played the missions in very different orders, and there was no in-mission changes of any note, although the between-mission diplomacy played out _very_ differently. (The end result is the same, but the journey if you leave Wrex's mission for last...)
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Just completed the story part of 'Torchlight'. Great, great game. Just depresses me that they're not currently looking at releasing Torchlight 2 on console, after saying that they were "exploring the possibility." Just hope it's something that shows up on xbox after the PC version is released. :-P

Torchlight is good in that it's really nice to see a game for once where they've focused on game play rather than bleeding edge graphics.

The "Diablo 1"nostalgia references are pretty nice as well.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Just finished Mass Effect 3. I can see a number of reasons why people are upset about the ending. And while I've been avoiding such discussions like the plague (to avoid spoilers), I don't agree with what I think are the more probable objections, including the one about "unresolved threads" that I caught a piece of.

I've been sitting here for the past thirty minutes, running the ending in my mind - what was detailed, what wasn't - and it's been steadily growing on me. I think the ending is refreshingly original, and communicates the state of the galaxy far more effectively than being more explicit would.

If anyone wants me/us to follow that thought some, it might make for a good spoiler-marked thread.

Probably going to return to X3 Terran Conflict after supper.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Probably going to return to X3 Terran Conflict after supper.
    Just started a new game in X3: Albion Prelude after I realized I could get it for free because I'd bought the X Superbox previously. Save games are not compatible with X3TC so it's a forced start from the beginning.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

I just finished ME3 this morning. Not really sure what I think about the ending yet. I am thinking I will play through it again after I finish Uncharted 3.

Few more days, and my currently playing will include: Sleeping Dogs, Quantum Conundrum, Tribes: Ascend, XCom: Enemy Unknown, and Borderlands 2! Still trying to secure the interview for Max Payne 3.

Hooray for PAX! Just wish I could also make it to E3, as there's a few other titles I'm dieing to try but won't be at this convention.

Anyone played Silent Hill Downpour yet?

My wife's colleagues say that comments about it have been entirely and strongly negative so far. I thought I'd ask for opinions here before I check out the internet and magazines.

City of Heroes with the graphic sliders turned down low, low, low. I got everything but the video card within specs, so it doesn't run too bad otherwise and I am not afraid of a few pixels.
    My only gripe so far is I can't make the female superheroes as muscular as I like.

If anyone wants me/us to follow that thought some, it might make for a good spoiler-marked thread.
    Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Anyone played Silent Hill Downpour yet?

My wife's colleagues say that comments about it have been entirely and strongly negative so far. I thought I'd ask for opinions here before I check out the internet and magazines.
    I've been playing it. So far, it's a perfectly competent Silent Hill. My gripe probably holds true to any game in the series: The tension is thick and heart-pounding . . . until you actually find yourself up against an enemy. Then the klunky controls and anti-climactic mechanics just make it a chore.

About to give Skyrim a go. Got the PC version after watching son on his Xbox.

Not played any of the Elder Scrolls so it's all new
    All Moderation in Purple

After getting a pirated copy of Skyrim which showed me that it IS playable on the hardware I have, I bought it.
    OK so far except there are a couple of showstopping opponents in Nchuand-Zel which seems to be so because I've trained my character into only dealing damage they're immune to.
    Are there types of magic that'll bite on Dwemer mechanisms?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I've been playing it. So far, it's a perfectly competent Silent Hill. My gripe probably holds true to any game in the series: The tension is thick and heart-pounding . . . until you actually find yourself up against an enemy. Then the klunky controls and anti-climactic mechanics just make it a chore.
    Thanks Fazor. I didn't really have any problems with the controls when it came to combat in SH2, 3, 4 and Origins. The first SH was painful to begin with, though - I found I was running so much I didn't get much opportunity to explore, and when it came to dealing with bat-things and dog-things, I honestly reckon I would have coped better in real life! But the combat in Homecoming was just horrible - there's a fine line between challenging a player and punishing him.

In Silent Hill, I want a top-class story, atmosphere, unease, tension... and when I explore, I want the dangers of the town to keep me on my toes, not stop me altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    In Silent Hill, I want a top-class story, atmosphere, unease, tension... and when I explore, I want the dangers of the town to keep me on my toes, not stop me altogether.
    I think you'd enjoy Downpour then (from what I've seen. I'm only about 40% through, according to the progress bar on the stats screen.) The story is probably the weakest part of that list. It is well produced and presented, but it's nothing too exciting (again, at least at the point I'm up to.)

Witcher 2 finally hits for Xbox next week. I've been waiting patiently since last year's PC release for that. Got to play it a bit last week, and it controlled pretty well (considering I only got about 15-20 min with the game, so part of that was just learning things.) First review (AFAIK) hit today, and gave it a 95/100. So yeah, lookin' forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Witcher 2 finally hits for Xbox next week. I've been waiting patiently since last year's PC release for that. Got to play it a bit last week, and it controlled pretty well (considering I only got about 15-20 min with the game, so part of that was just learning things.) First review (AFAIK) hit today, and gave it a 95/100. So yeah, lookin' forward to it.
    Aaaaaaaaand it's here! I stayed up way too late last night (and then had an early morning meeting to get to!) But I couldn't put the controller down. Loving it so far, though there's been some annoyances with the controls.

Sounds good, though it's not enough to make me stop playing X: Albion Prelude.

I pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 now. Will give me access to the beta weekends, which should be fun.
    I also picked up Portal 2 at the same time, because I haven't played it yet. Should pass the time.

Well, after much deliberation I pre-ordered The Secret World, the upcoming Funcom MMO. Conspiracies can be fun if taken for entertainment value, and I like how they build their games. Well, I like how they built Age of Conan.

I bought the lifetime subscription version, for $250, as I am still playing AoC and figure they might take a while to iron out the bus, but if it ends up being good then I'll easily spend more than that in subs over the years.

Oh yeah, that gives me beta weekend access too.

If one or two of my friends from Conan ever switch to Guild Wars 2 I might check that out, sure looks pretty, but I'm not diving into that one at this stage.

What are the combat mechanics like in Guild Wars? Most MMOs I find too basic - WoW and Star Wars bored me to death in that regard, and the cartoon fantasy settings I can't really get into.

The mechanics are going to be very different to current MMOs both in SW and GW2, so I don't think much can be said about them yet. Watch some of the GW2 preview videos, which I think can give a better answer than me.

Will do!

@Spoons - They had <em>The Secret World</em> at PAX, but it was one of the very long list of games that I wanted to see, but wasn't high enough on the list to get around to. The buzz around it seems good.

As for Guild Wars, I disagree with JokerGirl, in that the mechanics (at least in GW1) was very much similar to things like WoW or Everquest. Now the big difference is it's a smaller-group experience and can even be played solo with the use of AI controlled henchmen, so you don't have to put up with all the "interwebz drama" associated with lots of big MMOs.

FWIW, I loved GuildWars, and would be excited about GW2 if I had a machine that could run it.