Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utterly Random Rant Thread

No one asked for immediate withdrawl of ATM-desposited checks. And while the paper checks themselves may be "antiquated", the routing and account numbers make for conveniant electronic processing. It makes sense to hold the check until the request for the money can be sent to the bank. That should be the next business day. With the account information on the check, there's no reason it can't be processed over wire.

Which it is.

So why hold a check for up to 6 days?

Taxi drivers who believe the rules of the road don't apply to them. One of them nearly caused an accident, today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I think that was just changed, or it's been proposed and still going through the process (I'm just a bill, on Capitol Hill?)
    According to the U.S. Treasury Overdraft site there's currently no Federal law limiting the amount of the fees, but it may be prescribed by State Law.

There are multiple bills in committee that would require transparency and consumer notification of fees, but they don't limit the amount of the fee. Details and status of the bills are available by keying in the bill number here. I follow a lot of legislation in my work and have found Thomas.gov invaluable.

H.R.1456 : To extend the protections of the Truth in Lending Act to overdraft protection programs and services provided by depository institutions, to require customer consent before a depository institution may initiate overdraft protection services and fees, to enhance the information made available to consumers relating to overdraft protection services and fees, to prohibit systematic manipulation in the posting of checks and other debits to a depository account for the purpose of generating overdraft protection fees, and for other purposes.

H.R.1487
    : To amend the Electronic Fund Transfer Act to require notice to the consumer before any fee may be imposed by a financial institution in connection with any transaction for any overdraft protection service provided with respect to such transaction, and for other purposes.

Hmm. Maybe they were just talking about the possibility of limiting what banks can charge on overdraft fees. Or maybe it was other fees. I don't know. My opinion of the banks is . . . well, not appropriate for this board. So I'll leave it at that.

All I can say is that I wish I could run my business that way and get away with it, but we'd be sued and have no customers.
    It seems that national banks do this far more than local banks, plus, local banks tend to grant more leeway. It seems lately, I find a nice local bank that I like and within the year it gets taken over by a national one. My last bank was local and the very week they went national, they nailed me with a regulation D violation (made more than 6 transactions via internet, between checking and savings). I stayed until recently, they went too far. I made, literally a 65 cent oversight. I was getting my direct deposit the very next morning and went over by 65 cents, that's all. So they first hit me with an overdraft charge ($35), then put the the debit through, then hit me with a $30 covered against insufficient funds, fee. They wouldn't give me back either charge, either so a pack of gum that I grabbed on the grocery line, on impulse, essentially cost me $65.65. The next day, I opened an account with the bank across the street, a local one that I had been thinking about anyway. I transferred my direct deposit over, it went through last Friday, and last Sunday, I logged on to my account and I was redirected to a letter informing me that my bank has been taken over by a big national bank and they were not required to give us any warning of the impending transfer .

I'm happy with my bank; they've treated me pretty well. But they were a private Credit Union only available to employees of my company up until '08 or so. They've since gone public, and I had my teeth clenched expecting the worse, but nothing's really changed. Decent interest rates. Very few fees for anything. Great internet banking. The only drawback is that there's no branches; just the main bank which is downtown Columbus. So I can't really go in to the bank if I need to--not without having to make plans and miss work--but I've been with them almost ten years and never had a need to go into the bank.

My mortgage is through Fifth Third Bank, and I only name them so I can say that I've had less of a great experience with them, but no major problems either. At a minimum, at least their employees at the local branch are nice and helpful. My loan's through them and they've done right by it so far (only owned the home for 6 years this June), and I have a checking account through them because if I opened a checking account and had my mortgage payment auto-draft from it, it saved me like .4% on the mortgage interest rate. It's literally the only thing I use that account for.

Okay, I just got back from my daughter's school talent show and how obnoxious! I understand that they had to keep it down to a reasonable time since they allowed anyone that wanted to be in the show, to perform. Each child got about a minute to perform whether it be a small chunk of a song, comedy performance, or some other talent. However, when the teaching staff had their turn to do Under The Boardwalk, they managed to find enough time to do the entire song. The finale was We Are The World, the staff had all the solo's and they cut the long ending when they had no more solos to sing. I'm sorry, whose talent show was this?

It's road construction season again in Pennsyltucky. Our state flower, the orange traffic cone, is in full bloom. With all the cones, barricades and flashing arrows, I'm amazed at the drivers who seem surprised that "MERGE" applies to them.

On a related note, I'm also annoyed by drivers who won't allow other cars to merge.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGal View Post
    It's road construction season again in Pennsyltucky. Our state flower, the orange traffic cone, is in full bloom. With all the cones, barricades and flashing arrows, I'm amazed at the drivers who seem surprised that "MERGE" applies to them.

On a related note, I'm also annoyed by drivers who won't allow other cars to merge.
    Bah, I noticed that yesterday; I was on a single-lane road that then splits to two lanes, so at the split I started to go into the right lane when I noticed about 100 yards ahead, that lane was closed off with cones for construction, with insructions to merge back left. So before ever even leaving the left lane, I decided to just stay put. Why get over just to merge back?

Apparentlly the woman behind me doesn't bother looking more than a car-length or two ahead. She got over and was slowly overtaking me on the right, then at the last minute, noticed the merge, gunned it, and cut me off so she could get back over. I love other drivers! At least she moved up ahead of a single car that was already traveling at +/- 2mph her speed, so I'm sure she got wherever she was going soo much quicker, which made it worth risking an accident with me or barreling into some roadworkers on the side of the road. Hrmph.

I hate when I am the idiot on the road. I was driving back home from dropping the kids off and rather anxious to get on with my weekend. There was a big SUV in front of me (at a reasonable distance where I should have seen what was happening) that for no apparent reason, slammed on his brakes and went off to the side of the road. I was too busy eyeballing the truck and preparing to tell him he's number one as I passed him on the side of the road to notice the first response truck with lights flashing approaching in oncoming traffic. I felt like such an idiot!

Services that take advantage of people. We were using our new powerwasher on our deck and our well pump stopped working. Classic attribution error - one had little to do with the other. At 1:00pm we called a service and were given a quote of $500 to even look at it and $1,600 to replace the pump + emergency labor costs. (They couldn't get to us until after 5:00 pm, it's a Friday - that's overtime pay, yadda, yadda, yadda).

Called one more service who asked us a few questions about the age of our pump, service history, etc. - would make the service call for $50 to assess and gave us much lower quote if a replacement pump was needed. Turned out - it was a corroded pressure switch - 30 minutes and $190 later, we were back to powerwashing and laundry. We don't know nuthin' about well pumps and given our attachment to running water, could have easily been taken.

. . .
    My mortgage is through Fifth Third Bank,
    . . .
    Fifth Third. I've seen their signs, and that's a dfficult name for building trust.

It reminds me of that bumper sticker I saw that read FOUR OUT OF THREE PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE WITH FRACTIONS.

Of course, Third Fifth sounds like a bunch of drunks.

GalaxyGal, consider yourself lucky! A friend's well ran dry, and no amount of attempts at fixing it worked. His new well cost several thousand dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    GalaxyGal, consider yourself lucky! A friend's well ran dry, and no amount of attempts at fixing it worked. His new well cost several thousand dollars!
    We do! Our well is deep and full.....unlike our pockets.

Rant: Commercials on Fringe which are scarier than Fringe. You know the one about the crunchy Vlassic pickles and the cat? Yeah. That one.

For the past week, I've reorganizing my house. Needless to say, I don't go out of my way to enhance my appearance. Since a lot of this work involves heavier type labor, most of what I am wearing is loose, cool, comfortable clothing that should I ruin, I won't shed a tear. I don't exactly have oodles of clothing like that so yesterday came to a point where I thought; really, no one but my kids are going to see me so; who cares? It used to be an adorable one-piece shorts set but it was dry clean only that accidentally made it through the washer and dryer. There was a time where the shorts came to a respectable length but that time is long gone.
    Long story short (too late), 4:30 snuck up on me and it was time to order the pizza, go pick up my daughter from the bus stop, come home, throw pants on, run out to the supermarket, then grab the pizza. Daughter picked up; check. Come back home, walk go back to my room, notice I left the house without my phone again, search for the $20 I found in one of my pockets...there was something else. What else was I supposed to do? If I retrace my steps back to the garage, maybe I will remember, nope still drawing a blank. Oh well, off to the store I go. In the parking lot, I get out and feel really drafty; oh yeah, put pants on. Just as I am climbing back in my car I notice a really loud hissing sound.
    I actually yelled at my tire, "You couldn't wait 5 more days?" Getting new back tires is on my list of money already spent, when I get paid on Tuesday. I send a text to my boyfriend, whose still at work, to give him something to laugh about and get the, "I told you so's" out of the way.

I don't know how the newest models of the Grand Caravans are set up but apparently the spare tire storage for the 90's model Caravans were far too accessible. On the '06 model, there is a bolt on the floor between the driver and passenger seat that you spin to drop the spare from the middle of the undercarriage, which is really awesome when you are going to great lengths not to bend over a show the world your entire business. To make matters just slightly more annoying, it dawns on me that I had left the compact hydrolic jack that I just bought a month ago, at my boyfriends house. I get to use my high tech scissor jack that comes stock with the car...yippie! All the lug nuts on the tires were so tight I had to step on the tire iron with both feet just to get them to budge.
    In all this time, a total of 7 people approached me; 4 men offered help and 3 women offered to call someone. Pride and my refusal to be a damsel in distress had too strong a hold on me to actually accept help, even in these extreme circumstances. For minimal exposure, I sit to place and lift the jack. With that done, I proceed to remove the nuts. The second one, for a brief second I turned the wrong way; cue know-it-all man. "Ha ha, ain't your man teach you righty tighty, lefty loosey? You gonna wanna drop the car before you loosen the nuts." I really don't know what annoyed me more; the silly girl tone he took with me, assuming I actually need a man to teach me how to change a tire, the fact that he is always around to catch me making a stupid (typical woman) mistake (not that specific guy but always that type), or the fact that his communication skills were worse than that of a 4yr old. A funny thought creeped into my head, which is why I felt compelled to share this story in the first place. Gillianren, have you ever been to Florida? I just wondered how long before the poor language ejucashun would have you in a straight jacket.

With the flat tire off I walk over, grab the spare, hear boyfriend pulling up and look up for a second and drop the spare on my good foot. "Why didn't you wait for me?"
    "I had no idea you would make it here that fast." He moves in to help, "Well there's no point in both of us getting dirty. Since you are still clean, why don't you go into the store and grab what I need then pick up the pizza?"
    "I am not going to stand here while my girlfriend changes the tire."
    "You won't be standing here, you will be getting the stuff I need."
    "There is a bathroom in the store you can clean yourself off in, you know."
    "Is it really this complicated? I appreciate you coming to my rescue but I am covered in brake dust, you are not. My leg is sweaty, the prosthetic is slipping, and I am going to have to walk like a gimp to the bathroom and hope that it doesn't slip off in the process. This is pretty much done, if you want to help, help by doing the remaining tasks for me."
    One good thing came of this whole thing; Where-as I typically only see him on Tuesdays (NCIS night) and weekends, I got to spend a Thursday with him. All's well that ends well.

17. 2010-May-15, 01:22 AM

Recently I have read several space-related questions on Yahoo Answers where the asker said that they looked all over the Internet and couldn't find the information they wanted. One of them actually whined that "NASA won't tell [him]" what he wants to know. The questions involved who the first five people on the Moon were, what the landing bag on the Mercury spacecraft was supposed to do, how long the manned Skylab missions were, and when the most recent flight of the Space Shuttle Discovery took place. Of course a quick Google search will reveal all of this information, so it's clear that these people did not look all over the Internet. If you don't want to do research, fine, but don't fib and say that you did.

Seriously, the biggest downfall to living in Fl, Love Bugs. They only swarm for a few weeks out of the year but yesterday, my patio looked like the third picture down. Having three kids means my doors are constantly open. This morning I woke to find them all over my floor, throughout the house.

I drove home through veritable clouds of the things yesterday. The sound of them squishing on the windshield was almost like clockwork. They were all over my front door as well this a.m.

Colleagues more interested in getting credit than getting the job done. I also don't do well with 'kiss up - kick down' types. Rough day.....

This is one time I wish we could use swear words at BAUT.

Long story short, I work in my home over the internet on a production-pay basis (with benefits package). Company instituted an electronic timeclock 5 years ago, as a measure to ensure people were punching in/out as per schedule. But it wasn't enforced beyond that. Well, apparently enough people have been working while NOT on the clock or fibbing as to what hours actually worked, so now (as of Monday the 2nd) the timeclock is being strictly enforced to included "flexing." Flexing means you must punch out if there is absolutely no work.

Prior to this, the doctors were providing streams of uninterrupted work. Now, as an irritating (and hopefully temporary) coincidence, all week the workload has been painfully sporadic. I've just now punched in and out a duration of 3 measley minutes to complete 1 short report. Must keep track of minutes accrued for a total of 8 hours by day's end.

If the workload were consistently there this wouldn't be a hassle. Work 2-3 hours straight? No problem. But all week the work's been sporadic, and it's been like playing musical chairs with this stupid timeclock.

Well, that's a pain, Buttercup.

Proud and Ashamed

Told a little story but decided it was slightly un-BAUT-like, so nixed it.
    Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 2010-Aug-07 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Good BAUTedness.
    For each man, according to the measure of his intelligence, must speak what he can speak, and do what he can do. - Alfred, King of Wessex
    Calm down, have some dip. -George Carlin

Last night only got about 3 hours sleep. Got up about 6 and had a coffee and ham and tomato sandwich. Laid down fall back to sleep, woke up to the sand of a chainsaw. It was the guy to cut up our firewood, went out helped him for couple of hours. But now I still can't sleep I hate this feeling of wanting to sleep but just can't sleep.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Getting the answer to a different question than what I asked--that makes me think they're tap dancing around the issue or not listening to the question....

Getting a detailed eplanation to a yes/no question (especialy at work dealing with my primary duty)--when I ask that sort of question, that's all I need because everything else is already sorted.

People riding their bikes and ignoring traffic laws (like stop signs)--I've lost track of howmany I've almost hit because they blew right through a stop sign.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    People riding their bikes and ignoring traffic laws (like stop signs)--I've lost track of howmany I've almost hit because they blew right through a stop sign.
    Yes! That happens all the time around here too. And the worst part is, it's not the kids who are the worst (though they certainly have their "oops!" moments), but the adults on bikes . . . too many people here 'know' "pedestrians have right-of-way", which is one of those things that's true but not the way people think it's true. They all take it to mean that they can do whatever they want and cars just have to yield. Even if for a car to yield it has to defy the laws of physics.

Stop signs? I'm not a car! At a four-way stop it's annoying. But on my drive home, which is all through crowded residential old-town roads (i.e., houses ontop of each other, right up on the road, no parking so cars line the streets on both sides), there's two intersections I go through that are two-way stops on the cross-street. Which means I don't have a stop. Which means someone pedaling like hell to get to the store to buy their 'Busch' beer (they always seem to have a case under one arm) will not be visible to me as I'm entering the intersection.

And if the worse were to happen, I'm not going to be the one, in my 1500 lb car, to take the brunt of the damage. *shrug*

. . . and, even in situations where the pedestrian really does have right-of-way, shouldn't they want to take due care to make sure that it's safe? I mean, if I were a pedestrian, it wouldn't mean much to me to know it was the other guy's fault that I was crippled or killed.

Bureaucracy!

Tuesday, I stopped by my sons pediatrician's office to request a copy of his last physical which is required by the school to be within 6 months of schools official start date. I think that makes sense. Anyway, I asked the gal behind the counter if she could give me a copy of my sons last physical, and she replied that it would take 24 to 48 hours to process. Okay? I asked if she could check the date of his last physical for me then because if it hasn't been, blah, blah, I need to schedule a physical for him.

So the gal proceeds to pull his chart, opens it up and finds his last physical, it's within the time frame, great. She tapes a "copy request form" to the chart and told me they will call when it's ready to be picked up. All the while there is a copier not three feet behind her...

How ridiculous is that?

New rule: Call first, all the time, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by megrfl View Post
    How ridiculous is that?
    I suspect the processing is to make sure you're authorized to receive a copy.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Possibly and that would be a good thing, but I would have provided my ID post haste if requested.

Wasted education? My sister-in-law graduated last autumn with a Bachelors Degree in education. She's in her late 40s btw (not a "clueless kid"). Now she doesn't want to be a teacher. It's too much of a hassle, she doesn't want to be babysitter and surrogate mom to all those kids. Even 2 years ago she'd mentioned she'd rather be married (again) and a homemaker. Nothing wrong with being a homemaker, but why put all the time/effort into a 4-year degree and then balk and make excuses at actually USING it? I doubt she's going to find a man who's content and willing to let that Bachelors Degree sit idly in a drawer while he's out hoofing it to pay the bills. She's upset with her grown children for dragging their feet regarding completing college...well? She also says she "learned a lot" about personal self control (temper) and how to speak more effectively at college; that's great. But she could have learned the same via self-help books or self-improvement seminars.

I sure hope she bucks up and decides to APPLY her education. Sheesh...