Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utterly Random Rant Thread

You might want someone to check your heart out. There was a report recently about many people with migraine having a small hole in the heart. Fixing that could almost completely eliminate further attacks. Sorry, don't have reference for more detail... (can't even remember where I read/heard it)

EDIT: Found this http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/research/overview/migraine/
    http://www.migrainetrust.org/module_...oleinheart.pdf

This has only started to happen in a spate of one month, all I can put it down to is having a total hysterectomy and it is due to hormonal changes. When I return to the UK I am making an appointment to see my GP asap. Or was your tactics to try and scare the migraine out of me??
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

I've suffered from migraines since I was 16. My mother gets them and my brother if he eats chocolate. Most of mine can be put under control with Sumatriptan. Only the really bad ones that generally last for days aren't affected by it.

My wife keeps telling me to keep a log of what I eat, do, the weather, etc, to see if I can find a common trigger. The problem is when you're going sometimes a month between migraines it's a lot to write down and I hate paper work at the best of times.

What is wrong with Sandra Bullock that she couldn't keep a good and beyond handsome man like Jesse James satisfied? Poor man, he had to go and have an affair with a tattoo artist. Ristinkindiculous!!!!

My husband said, "So, hmm, she's single again."

I've always had a thing for Sandra. Some of my friends don't get it but there is something about her that I'm attracted to.

People don't get that, Rommel? She's beautiful and has presence. I don't quite have a girl crush on her but I can see why guys would like her. Apparently Jesse was more into the Frankenstein look.

Tara definately has a girl-crush on her. I've never been crazy about her, but she can be extreemely pretty, and on a bad is still prettier than average. She also seems like she's intelligent and probably a great person to be around. But I've never been a fan of her movies.

Jesse J, on the other hand, I've always thought was a big [insert appropriate name here]. I couldn't believe it when I read about him cheating on her--but mostly I couldn't believe Sandra was married to him! I hadn't known that.

First the parade of Tiger Woods' liaisons from central casting and now Jesse James - cheating has reached a bizarre new low

Tiger cheated on Elin, Jesse cheated on Sandra, and way back when Hugh Grant cheated on Elizabeth Hurley.

I'm thinking the attractiveness of the wife isn't a driving factor in the decision to cheat.

On one hand, I feel bad for celebs, sometimes. I know the bad has to come with the good but nothing is private when you are famous. I would imagine being cheated on is humilating enough when it's kept just between the one's directly involved but to have pictures of you, smattered all over every tabloid on every magazing rack, speculating on how you must feel; has to be enough to make one wish they were never born.

I heard an interview with Jack Nicholson years ago and they were discussing cheating. He stated that one you hit a certain point as a celebrity you have people fawning over you all the time. Women (and men) hitting on you, ALL THE TIME, and not even being discrete about it. "Oh hi, I'm ____. Hey there'e an empty closet over there...". After awhile the attention goes to your head and you actually start believing what they say, and it's hey why not visit the closet. Better yet, why don't we just go back up stairs to my hotel room. etc, etc, etc.

I'm not going to defend or admonish these people. My question is, since when is it anyone else's business? Not just that, but since when is it breaking, world-wide news?

I just cannot fathom why anyone cares; though I often wonder if as many people really do care as the news seems to think they do.

Though Tara had a good point the other night, when they were talking to one of Tiger's "lovers", and sobbingly she said, "I'd be happy with just a telephone apology from Tiger!" *sob sob sob*

Apologize for what, exactly? She knew he was married, and that she was "the other woman", even if she didn't know she was the "other, other, other, other woman". To me it all comes off as a sickening display of "first, I got what I wanted in sleeping with a celebrity, now I want everyone to feel sorry for me so I can get all the attention I also want. Lastly, I want a book deal and my own reality tv show."

Bah humbug. I'm almost starting to miss news stories about "ghostly spheres showing up on security cameras" and "common household items...that could kill you!!!"

I'm with you Fazor, it's none of our beeswax. When did cheating stories make the transition from tabloids to being acceptable for network news?

My guess is the tide turned during the presidential bid of Gary Hart and his infamous rendezvous with Donna Rice on the aptly named "Monkey Business."

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I'm not going to defend or admonish these people. My question is, since when is it anyone else's business? Not just that, but since when is it breaking, world-wide news?

I just cannot fathom why anyone cares; though I often wonder if as many people really do care as the news seems to think they do.

Though Tara had a good point the other night, when they were talking to one of Tiger's "lovers", and sobbingly she said, "I'd be happy with just a telephone apology from Tiger!" *sob sob sob*

Apologize for what, exactly? She knew he was married, and that she was "the other woman", even if she didn't know she was the "other, other, other, other woman". To me it all comes off as a sickening display of "first, I got what I wanted in sleeping with a celebrity, now I want everyone to feel sorry for me so I can get all the attention I also want. Lastly, I want a book deal and my own reality tv show."

Bah humbug. I'm almost starting to miss news stories about "ghostly spheres showing up on security cameras" and "common household items...that could kill you!!!"
    Times have really changed. It wasn't until after Mickey Mantle died that I ever knew that he had children or even married. It was none of my business then and it's none of mine now. I forgot which baseball player said it years ago to a sportswriter," You can write anything you want about me. I aint gonna read it anyway."

btw- I found match.com to be a ripoff. They tried double charging me twice so I left them. The forums at datehookup.com have some real mud slinging for those who want to let off a little steam at the opposite gender.

*breaking news*

This just in: women are born with body hair.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

You know what's better than utterly random rants? Utterly random PANTS! . . . well, really it just rhymes, and the phrase "Random pants" makes me smile. Sounds like a Beck lyric.

The random ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
    The random ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
    The random ants go marching one by one,
    The little one stops to suck his thumb
    And they all go marching down around the town
    BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Back to rants. Some time in the past year, all automakers advertising in the USA agreed to quote only highway gasoline mileage in their ads. Some state that it's highway mileage and some don't. Deceptive! How can it be legal?!

Quote Originally Posted by MAPNUT View Post
    Back to rants. Some time in the past year, all automakers advertising in the USA agreed to quote only highway gasoline mileage in their ads. Some state that it's highway mileage and some don't. Deceptive! How can it be legal?!
    Better still, why doesn't Detroit design vehilces so we can work on them like we used to?
    I would have to disconnect the engine from the mounts and jack it up in order to get at my S-10 pickup's plugs. The fuel pumps are now housed in the gas tanks. Not impossible to get at if one has a big enough garage and takes off the whole bed of the truck. Years ago they were located right under the hood. I guess they must feel threatened by Saturday mechanics.

Blueshift, I am so with you. Not that there is much I could have done under the hood before, but at least I could identify different parts. I need the manual just to find the windshield wiper fluid container.

No good deed...

This all started about a week ago Monday. I agreed to delivery some posters and brochures for the MS society, they said the package would arrive last Monday but they did not arrive until Tuesday afternoon and after a couple calls and e-mails I got the extension until yesterday. On Wednesday I got an income tax refund check, so I took to the bank and put in the bank through the ATM. Now here is an unexpected part they put I six business day hold on the check because it was done through and ATM and a large check. I did not find this out until I was in Saint John on Friday to pick-up a copy of Windows 7. I did get enough money for Windows 7 and a gift for my nieces birthday. And even today there is hold on my account and owe a garage $20 because I locked myself out of my car yesterday.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

I've heard that same complaint from others David, and it doesn't make any sense to me. Sure it's common practice for a bank to only make available a certain limit immediately upon deposit (usually $100, in my experience) then hold the rest for the check to clear. But the time it takes to clear a check should be the same regardless of the amount (okay, maybe not for some extremely high amount). And a few years ago they changed the process so that all checks clear electronically.

It was something that we had to pay close attention to as a business that excepts checks; in the past if someone paid in check, they could know that between the delay in deposit and the time to clear, it wouldn't hit their account for 3-4 days typically. Sometimes longer. Now it's next-day. So why is it, then, that when it's a check going in to your account, they can still take a week or more to do it?

well the original amount the allowed me was $200 then got it raised a bit more over the phone. I will headed to my branch to get at least the $20 by this afternoon. I can see a couple days but six days a little much.

Since this is a random rant thread, I'll rant about how Tara's (old) bank handled normal deposits. Like most people, she gets paid on Fridays. Her boss pays weekly, so her paychecks aren't that big. Well, she went out for lunch one Friday and forgot she had bought gas or some such, so she over drafted her account by $5 or so. But after work, she deposited her paycheck. Granted with the understanding that deposits made past 3:00 or so don't get credited until the next business day. It was annoying, knowing they'd rack up over-draft fees for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but she knew it was her fault for overdrafting and accepted it.

Well, they processed the deposit Monday, but held the check until that Thursday! On top of that, even though it was deposited on the prior Friday, they charged over draft fees for Monday, Tue, Wed, and Thursday. The week's worth of overdraft fees were so high that it went beyond her paycheck amount, and left the account over drafted. She didn't find that out until after she deposited her next week's paycheck, which they again held for six days and then turned around and charged her late fees for the entire week, eating up that whole check.

By that point, they had kept two weeks worth of pay from her entirely in fees. When she complained, they said "oh, we'll try to see if they'll give you some of that money back." Which they never did. Needless to say, she promptly closed the account and took her business elsewhere.

All I can say is that I wish I could run my business that way and get away with it, but we'd be sued and have no customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    It was something that we had to pay close attention to as a business that excepts checks; in the past if someone paid in check, they could know that between the delay in deposit and the time to clear, it wouldn't hit their account for 3-4 days typically. Sometimes longer. Now it's next-day. So why is it, then, that when it's a check going in to your account, they can still take a week or more to do it?
    Because the bank don't pay interest in the meantime, but can earn from having the money available.
    Yet another part of the bezzle.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Because the bank don't pay interest in the meantime, but can earn from having the money available.
    Yet another part of the bezzle.
    When banks do it, it's called "playing the float"!
    When customers do it, it's called "check kiting" and can result in jail time!

Well get to the bank and unlocked the check since it was close to being unlocked anyway.

Fazor, That's reprehensible treatment from a financial institution. Our local bank doesn't put holds on paychecks....overdraft fees are $35 a thwack....but you're only assessed that once per check or withdrawal....not each day you're overdrawn. Unfortunately, it's perfectly legal and there's no limit to how much banks can charge in overdraft fees.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGal View Post
    . . . and there's no limit to how much banks can charge in overdraft fees.
    I think that was just changed, or it's been proposed and still going through the process (I'm just a bill, on Capitol Hill?)

My bank has a daily fee, on top of the 30ish dollar initial fee (which also counts as the first day's fee), but my daily fee's only like $5 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlpf View Post
    ... check, ... I ... put in the bank through the ATM. ... they put I six business day hold on the check because it was done through and ATM and a large check. ...
    Sorry for not bowing down to peer opinion. but check fraud is a huge problem.

Due to the totally antiquated and almost medieval system that is the paper check, clearing one can take some time. Allowing large checks to be submitted via an ATM with immediate withdrawal would be opening the flood gates for mass fraud. In the end, the losses would be paid by the customer pool, i.e. us.

Ok, six days sounds steep, especially if the same deposit over the counter during business hours would be immediate, but the ATMs are often maintained, i.e. filled and emptied, by external companies, not the employees of the local bank. They install and remove closed containers which are processed at a central unit. A check may stay in the machine for a few days before a human ever sees it.

The banks probably make sure they use the maximum delay they can to 1) reduce the fraud risk, 2) discourage customers from puting checks in ATMs, and 3) float the check if possible to earn a wee bit of interest off the delay.

I understand reason 1) and maybe 2), but 3) wouldn't be good.

Checks are more or less obsolete in Europe. Everything is done by transfer these days, and things have improved as far as speed is concerned. Some transfers are really almost immediate.