Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-12 Quake

2010-12 Quake

Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Mar-25 at 11:48 AM. Reason: 4Q27

Are you proposing an off-earth cause for the recent quakes?

1:39 ? 5:39 pst

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2010/
    http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_depot/2010/2010_stats.html
    1. 2010 01 03 22:36:27.9 -8.798 157.349 25 7.1 Solomon Islands
    2. 2010 01 12 21:53:10.1 18.449 -72.543 13 7.0 Haiti region
    NEW Moon 1/15
    3. 2010 02 26 20:31:26 25.97 128.44 22.0 7.0 Ryukyu Islands, Japan
    4. 2010 02 27 06:34:17 -35.83 -72.67 59.4 8.8 Offshore Maule, Chile
    FULL Moon 2/28

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/

VFP SHZ UW : Flag Pt. Mount Hood, OR http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/PNSN/

Do you have a point to make? Have you thought of, you know, explaining it.

AM / PM

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Are you proposing an off-earth cause for the recent quakes?
    yeah: Shirley:
    My guess is Sedna (aka Planet x) approacheth 20100315
    it has been brought to my ATTention the line above is Miss Leading
    Shirley: i was not refering to NASA's SADNA nor BAUDs Planet X ?
    Some on has suggested Planit zero which i translated to P_0 (SOorY}?

on (i mean in an orbit that has a period of between 600 & 2000 Earth Years)

THUS, Earth is due for one of is 1/1000 events (
    every 3rd one seams to be BIG
    &asI recall this 1's Big?

it takes many years for the close approach to happen
    my guess is this time the object will be deected
    my gUESS is that its small / vERY Massive

that it gets closer to earth than Neptune
    maybe as close as Uranus
    see Ur friday 13th
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Mar-16 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Said NA not NAsa's Sedna

MayBe Not

Quote Originally Posted by Henna Oji-san View Post
    5:51AM pst - 5:54

it just that
    1 this building is right over the Portland Fault Line
    2 Oregon is near the Gordo fault (offshore
    3 THEY are due:

Quote Originally Posted by HUb' View Post
    maybe as close as Uranus
    Are you suggesting that the known plot of its orbit [which at the closest approach is still very far out of the Neptuneīs orbit] is wrong? It would be nice if you could elaborate on that.

Sorry if that came across as rude. I din't realise you were the HUb' (rather than just any old HUb').

My guess is Sedna (aka Planet x) approacheth

maybe as close as Uranus
    see Ur friday 13th
    I am wondering what it is you are basing your guesses on besides the earth quake?
    Last edited by xfahctor; 2010-Mar-02 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I felt my response may have come across as quip and disprespectfull...

My guess is Sedna (aka Planet x) approacheth
    Hiya HUb', long time.
    Shirley not?
    While Sedna's orbit is unknown it is calculated at some 10 to 12 thousand years, no?

Who would know?
    It seems a big one could be approaching given the frequency and intensity of these things, but that might simply be because more instruments are watching.

maybe as close as Uranus
    see Ur friday 13th
    Interesting, you suggest it comes so close as to influence Earth's crustal movements...
    wouldn't it need be larger, and perhaps closer, than a Sedna sized body to cause such effects?

Regards
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

The Earth's crust has been and always will be in a state of flux.
    To suggest that it is severely influenced by the passing every 10,000 years of a large body disregards the everyday flexing and moving of a dynamic
    system more influenced by Earth's own heat, various mantle lumes and the
    stored up compressive energy that must needs be released with the attending catastropic events that ,although are seldom predicted never the less will happen on a regular basis. History is the great predictor. The plates do as they will. That's all.

A few minor corrections to information here.

There is no Gordo Fault zone off shore of the PNW. It ia called the Jaun-de-Fuca subduction zone. There is a Gordo Ridge transformation zone in californina, which is part of the San-Andreas fault system. Unrelated systems.

Sedna at last measurment this year, was still 90 times further from the sun then earth (90.12 AU's). It would need to travel a speed of 45 au's per year to get here in time, if it was on a strait trajectory. As it;s on a curved path, it would actualy need to travel faster, but we can ignore that fact for now. 45AU's per year is a relativistic speed of .0007 LY.

At it's distance the sun's gravity cannot possibly account for this sort sudden acceleration. By what mechanism, could a planet even possibly accelerate form its normally slow orbital speed to .0007 light speed?

Welcome back Hub'!

Always nice, seeing you post again.

-- Betadust
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

5:51AM pst - 5:54

it just that
    1 this building is right over the Portland Fault Line
    2 Oregon is near the Gordo fault (offshore
    3 THEY are due:
    Yep
    PhysOrg concurs:
    Northwest at risk of megaquake like one in Chile.
    Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

However, this article says nothing of the influence of approaching celestial bodies...

Take Care!
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    However, this article says nothing of the influence of approaching celestial bodies...
    Well, thatīs an extraordinary assumption, but unfortunately it seems that HUb' is not willing to provide us with the corresponding extraordinary evidence.

Well, thatīs an extraordinary assumption, but unfortunately it seems that HUb' is not willing to provide us with the corresponding extraordinary evidence.
    There's time yet, but if a rogue star ~ .08 solar mass, approached at above average speeds with 30deg inclination and only 4AU perihelion, doesn't much affect the inner planets, I'm interested in seeing what HUb' proposes.

But considering his posts are most often months apart these days we'll be lucky to see him. He's got four weeks...

There's time yet, but if a rogue star ~ .08 solar mass, approached at above average speeds with 30deg inclination and only 4AU perihelion, doesn't much affect the inner planets, I'm interested in seeing what HUb' proposes.

But considering his posts are most often months apart these days we'll be lucky to see him. He's got four weeks...
    If such a body made that kind of a flyby, it would perturb the orbits of the planets significantly, but the tidal stress on the Earth would be less than 1% of the monthly variation of what the Sun and the Moon impose on us all the time. I do not envision that as triggering earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    If such a body made that kind of a flyby, it would perturb the orbits of the planets significantly,
    And yet the simulation I linked shows otherwise?
    Are the authors of the software wrong in its modelling?
    I wouldn't know.

but the tidal stress on the Earth would be less than 1% of the monthly variation of what the Sun and the Moon impose on us all the time. I do not envision that as triggering earthquakes.
    Nor do I.
    I certainly don't associate plate tectonics with hypothetical celestial bodies approaching the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    If such a body made that kind of a flyby, it would perturb the orbits of the planets significantly, but the tidal stress on the Earth would be less than 1% of the monthly variation of what the Sun and the Moon impose on us all the time. I do not envision that as triggering earthquakes.
    It's Hellion 1957 all over again, except it's Sedna.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Yep
    PhysOrg concurs:
    Northwest at risk of megaquake like one in Chile.
    Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
    Some of us do live there (or want to). Kentucky's all right, but the only reason I see Mt. Hood everyday now is because of the poster in my living room.

Kentucky also has it's own potential problems. Surely you're aware of the New Madrid Fault? And that's not the one that caused the quake in Louisville a couple years ago.

Let's put some numbers on this: Call it planet Zero as Sedna and planet X have previous specifications. Zero is a black hole with one solar mass and negligible accretion disk. It is presently one AU from Neptune and crossing Neptune's orbit traveling 20,000 miles per hour, aimed at our Sun. It will miss the Sun by a small amount doing a sling shot maneuver, causing the maximum speed to be about 100,000 miles per hour.
    Zero is presently making tides in Neptune and Neptune's moons, about the same as our sun makes tides on Earth = about 1/3 the height of the Moon tides = not much. Since Zero is presently about 42 AU from Earth, Tides are presently about 0.06% (square law) of the height of Sun tides from the gravity of Zero. This (0.02% of moon tide) is likely to trigger an earthquake only if the earthquake was about to occur anyway, even less probable if Zero is less than one solar mass.
    A close approach of Zero (to Earth) will occur in about 100,000 hours = 4 billion miles travel distance, 40,000 miles per hour average speed. The speed of zero with respect to Earth is 50,000 miles per hour at closest approach to Earth, so zero is within 50,000 miles of Earth for about one hour = intense destructive tides will occur and Earth's orbit will be altered significantly and permanently. A close approach (to Earth) may occur, for a bit less than one hour after the sling shot maneuver around the Sun, but the probability is very low for two close approaches. I think my numbers are close, but I am math impaired, so please fine tune my numbers. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    Let's put some numbers on this: Call it planet Zero as Sedna and planet X have previous specifications.
    Zero, as in, neilzero? OK, it's your planet.
    Zero is presently making tides in Neptune and Neptune's moons, about the same as our sun makes tides on Earth = about 1/3 the height of the Moon tides = not much.
    Since Zero is the same distance from Neptune as Earth is from the Sun, and the solar tide on is a little less than half the lunar tide (the density of the Sun is a little less than half the density of the moon), the radius of Neptune is almost four times that of the Earth, so the tide raised on Neptune is almost twice the lunar tide. Since the solar tide on earth adds with the lunar tide to produce the leap tide, that Neptune tide would be a little higher than leap tide.
    Since Zero is presently about 42 AU from Earth, Tides are presently about 0.06% (square law) of the height of Sun tides from the gravity of Zero.
    The tide-raising force varies as the inverse cube.

And, as HUb' says, the Gorda (Gordo to its friends) Ridge lies off the coast of Oregon, and Northern California. If you all would be more respectful, you might learn something!

Thanks hh for the corrections, inverse cube means the tide from a solar mass 42 AU from Earth is very unlikely to trigger an Earthquake. I'm surprised that the Sun tide is half the moon tide, because the sun has half the density of Earth's moon (coincidence?) and I'm surprised that Neptune would have almost 4 times higher tides than Earth because the radius of Neptune is almost 4 times greater. Does that assume uniform density from center to surface (and perfect elasticity) for both planets? Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    Thanks hh for the corrections, inverse cube means the tide from a solar mass 42 AU from Earth is very unlikely to trigger an Earthquake.
    True that!
    I'm surprised that the Sun tide is half the moon tide, because the sun has half the density of Earth's moon (coincidence?)
    The coincidence is that the sun and the moon appear to be the same size in the sky. Since the size is inversely proportional to distance, and the tide is directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to distance cubed, and the density directly proportional to mass and inversely proportional to size cubed, the tide is directly proportional to density.
    and I'm surprised that Neptune would have almost 4 times higher tides than Earth because the radius of Neptune is almost 4 times greater. Does that assume uniform density from center to surface (and perfect elasticity) for both planets? Neil
    No assumptions. I like to think of it this way, gravity is GMm/r2, but the tide is the result of the difference, so it's proportional to the derivative: 2GMm/r3 dr

dr is the differential, the distance from one side of the planet to the other. In other words, the tide-raising force is proportional to the planet radius.

That seems logical for tide raising force. Thanks again. Neil

20100308 ? Monday

Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Mar-08 at 01:02 PM. Reason: to find seis

5:06 link2WA http://www.principiadiscordia.com/fo...6847#msg796847 5:38
    a. ALv (currently 3/8 Lost in my own maze
    b. BeAcH (Sorry
    c? 5:14 http://www.pdx.edu/prospects.html
    Last edited by HUb'; 2010-Mar-08 at 01:38 PM.

7 BEDs

msg796847 bed'$ ?
    anyway THE CUXT of todays tails WAS
    that the BEDs have a Px interval of about 1Ka
    the amount of time it takes Lake M to fill ?/?/?/?/

YES:

Are you suggesting that the known plot of its orbit
    [which at the closest approach is still very far out of the Neptuneīs orbit]
    is wrong? It would be nice if you could elaborate on that.
    yes.
    it would be NIce if i could
    I can't right now
    maybe by April ... i'll find a BROWN? link

NOT2worry

Sorry if that came across as rude. I din't realise you were the HUb' (rather than just any old HUb').
    http://www.bautforum.com/search.php?searchid=1379527