Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Transit of Venus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    51

    Transit of Venus

    On June 8th, there will be a transit of Venus. Anything to get excited about?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,296
    Yes. It's cool!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,874
    Well let's see: it hasn't happened for more then a century. Anything as rare as that counts as interesting to me!
    Oh yes, before I forget, what parts of the Earth will be able to view the transit this time around?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    7,815
    Europe, Africa and western Asia.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K
    Europe, Africa and western Asia.
    Here's an article that gives more details.

    http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1021_1.asp

    For the east cost of the US, the transit will be in progress at sunrise.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    51
    Eli Maor has written an excellent book on the transit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    653
    I'm willing to put my life savings on there being heavy cloud cover over the UK on june 8th......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    613
    Here's another source of info on the upcoming venus transit (and others):
    Upcoming Transits

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    I heard on the radio that it would be visible here in Peoria sometime on June 8... Wonder if they were wrong.

    Anyway, I can't imagine there being anything to really see? What would you be able to observe?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,142
    Quote Originally Posted by thefish7
    I heard on the radio that it would be visible here in Peoria sometime on June 8... Wonder if they were wrong.

    Anyway, I can't imagine there being anything to really see? What would you be able to observe?
    You can't see the whole thing from the US, but you can see part of it (from the eastern US, at least - I think those in California are out of luck).

    Presumably you'd see a small black spot crossing the Sun - if you have the right equipment. Naked-eye observation is not recommended.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    And the right equipment would be?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    51
    Eclipse glasses should be ok. I have some left over from the solar eclipse of 1994 for my students and I to use.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,237
    A solar filter on a telescope would be better, because Venus is small compared to the Sun. I'm not sure it would be visible naked eye, since Venus is too small to show a disk naked eye.

    Several companies sell white light solar filters that fit over the front of the telescope and filter the light before it enters the telescope.

    Remember to remove or cap the finderscope!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by thefish7
    I heard on the radio that it would be visible here in Peoria sometime on June 8... Wonder if they were wrong.
    Most of the transit will be over by the time the Sun rises on Peoria, maybe less than an hour left--so the Sun will be low, and maybe obscured by clouds or mist.

    The last contact with the Sun will occur at about 6:25am CDT, which is not even an hour after the Sun rises. Venus starts to move off the Sun twenty minutes before that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,142
    At a science day event I went to a while back, someone had a contraption that used a lens to project the Sun's image onto a blank flat area. You could easily see the sunspots. I'm not sure what the device was called, but it looked ideal for observing the transit.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    At a science day event I went to a while back, someone had a contraption that used a lens to project the Sun's image onto a blank flat area. You could easily see the sunspots. I'm not sure what the device was called, but it looked ideal for observing the transit.
    You might be thinking of the Sunspotter. They are nice but rather pricey. ASP carries them:

    Sunspotter at ASP

    Here's more info for anyone looking for solar filters.

    Sky & Telescope has reviews of solar filters, but they charge if you want to read them online.

    Baader filter material
    Baader at Astro Physics

    One vendor with glass solar filters
    Orion solar filters

    Coronado H-A filters (these are really cool)
    Coronado

    Astronomy Mall with links to many astro vendors
    http://astronomy-mall.com/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    264
    I've got a pair of solar filters for my binocs. They've been great for looking at sunspots. What's the chances of me spotting Venus with them?


    (edit to add link)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    7,815
    Coronado H-A filters (these are really cool)
    Also really pricey!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    I've got a pair of solar filters for my binocs. They've been great for looking at sunspots. What's the chances of me spotting Venus with them?
    Use them to look at the Sun. Now imagine a dot with a diameter about a thirtieth of that of the Sun's. It'll be small, but you'll surely be able to notice it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by milli360
    It'll be small, but you'll surely be able to notice it.
    That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,142
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    At a science day event I went to a while back, someone had a contraption that used a lens to project the Sun's image onto a blank flat area. You could easily see the sunspots. I'm not sure what the device was called, but it looked ideal for observing the transit.
    You might be thinking of the Sunspotter. They are nice but rather pricey. ASP carries them:

    Sunspotter at ASP
    That's the guy - thanks.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K
    Coronado H-A filters (these are really cool)
    Also really pricey!
    Although, they did just come out with a Coronado PST for about $500US.

    PST at OPT

    PST at Anacortes

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,882
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora
    I'm not sure it would be visible naked eye, since Venus is too small to show a disk naked eye.
    It was in the eleventh century, when ibn Sina observed a transit of Venus with the naked eye.
    Abu Ali al-Husain ibn Abdallah ibn Sina (Avicenna)

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroica
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora
    I'm not sure it would be visible naked eye, since Venus is too small to show a disk naked eye.
    It was in the eleventh century, when ibn Sina observed a transit of Venus with the naked eye.
    Abu Ali al-Husain ibn Abdallah ibn Sina (Avicenna)
    Right now, when Venus is so visible, it is nearly an AU away, but during transit, it will be nearly three times closer, and will appear about three times larger, in diameter. We don't usually get to observe Venus when it is that large--because it is too close to the Sun. For once, that'll work to our advantage.

Similar Threads

  1. Transit Of Venus
    By The Cypher in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2008-Jan-13, 08:10 AM
  2. Transit of Venus
    By have_u_ever_been_2_uranus? in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2005-Aug-04, 10:22 AM
  3. Venus Transit
    By fredogoto in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2004-Jun-18, 05:01 PM
  4. Transit of Venus
    By Eroica in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 2004-Jun-12, 12:59 PM
  5. PX and the Venus transit
    By The Bad Astronomer in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2004-Feb-09, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: