PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts of Christmas Dinners present

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-22, 02:31 AM
OK, let's go ahead and continue this theme.

What are the festival centerpieces you plan to consume over the next couple of weeks? The poll is multiple choice.

I'm really thinking it will be duck this year.

Kaptain K
2009-Dec-22, 02:49 AM
I will be having ham with my family, but, as I'm living in a nursing home, I'm sure I'll be getting some turkey too.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-22, 03:09 AM
Heaven only knows. We're probably having dinner at Graham's brother's, and I really ought to double-check on plans, if for no other reason than so that I can make sure there's something I'll eat available. If we're not going over there, I'll probably just make our usual Friday night mac & cheese.

Tonight, though, we are having an assortment of appetizers, meats, and cheeses. Maybe spiced cider. Festive food.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-22, 03:28 AM
... our usual Friday night mac & cheese. ...
Ahh, the splendor of haute cuisine. ;)

For Christmas Eve, I usually make an improvised mock Polynasian dish with chicken, bamboo shoots, banana, pinapple and lemon, served with red rice. Yummy. But, not exactly haute cuisine, by any definition.

Gillianren
2009-Dec-22, 03:36 AM
Ahh, the splendor of haute cuisine. ;)

Should I add "from scratch"? I mean, I don't make the elbow macaroni myself, but this is a lengthy, fiddly process! I also experiment a lot with seasonings, though I don't really know why, given that Graham tends to just dump a can of chili in his portion.

kleindoofy
2009-Dec-22, 03:49 AM
... Graham tends to just dump a can of chili in his portion.
He's a man, so it's either chili or ketchup.

Just be happy he doesn't eat it while sitting in front of the TV in his underpants, drinking a can of beer. ;)

(Additional clichés are available at no cost if you send in a self-addressed, pre-stamped envelope.)

LaurelHS
2009-Dec-22, 04:24 AM
My mom is roasting a turkey on Christmas Eve. She is very good at this. Her turkey has crispy skin but it's moist and tender inside. Now I'm hungry. :)

jokergirl
2009-Dec-22, 07:40 AM
Er, can we have a fish choice? Fish is not a veggie, you know... but I'll definitely be gorging on Sill and Gravlax!

;)

AndreasJ
2009-Dec-22, 10:04 AM
I'll be eating a lot of Janssons frestelse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse), which doesn't seem to fit into the poll at all.

Also ham and, like jokergirl, herring.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-22, 01:13 PM
Ham steaks baked with molasses & pineapple rings
Baked potatoes [sour cream/butter]
Steamed broccoli
Macaroni & cheese
Baked acorn squash
Deviled eggs

Peach pie
Peanut blossom cookies

Merry Merry! :D

Click Ticker
2009-Dec-22, 01:31 PM
I would love to try "other fowl" or lamb, but convincing my family to try would be quite the task. I'm far more adventurous when it comes to food than they. Not that I'm itching to eat anything wierd, it's just that they are limited to chicken/turkey, pig, or cow. Nothing else.

Tinaa
2009-Dec-22, 01:39 PM
All the kids will be gone on Christmas Day so my husband and I will be having steaks and Alaskan King Crab! Since all but two of my kids live here, we are looking forward to a quiet day alone.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-22, 01:39 PM
I'll be eating a lot of Janssons frestelse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse), which doesn't seem to fit into the poll at all.

That looks delicious!! :shifty:

I'll take a big helping please. :)

Swift
2009-Dec-22, 01:57 PM
I believe my wife is making a veal shank.

rommel543
2009-Dec-22, 01:57 PM
...mentioned in a previous thread

OOooooo the best part of Christmas... the food.

We're having 18 people in the house this year (maybe more). My wife has a huge menu planned out. Ham (cold), maple brined Turkey (cold), roast chicken, perogies, cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, mixed veggies, baked brie, and about 3 different deserts.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-22, 02:14 PM
baked brie

That reminds me! :) A local grocer sells Ile de France gourmet brie; filled with cranberries, almonds and brandy. I'd seen those a few weeks ago, might buy one for us. Bake and serve with nice crackers.

Swift
2009-Dec-22, 02:17 PM
Personally, I like my brie "straight up", but Ile de France is a very nice brie.

Buttercup
2009-Dec-22, 02:24 PM
Personally, I like my brie "straight up", but Ile de France is a very nice brie.

Ile de France is the best I've yet tasted. :) And yes, I like it plain too.

I'd better go to the store and pick up that fancy holiday variety today! :confused: Hopefully they're not sold out.

jokergirl
2009-Dec-24, 10:02 PM

Also ham and, like jokergirl, herring.

I had some of that too. Delicious, if homemade, but definitely not to everyone's taste.

;)

Lord Jubjub
2009-Dec-24, 11:19 PM
I've always felt that limiting the poll choices to five cramps a bit. I wanted to include vegetarian as an option but wanted to keep ham and turkey as items separate from the wider categories they could belong to.