PDA

View Full Version : what is the purpose of antimatter?

mcgheetech79
2009-Aug-25, 09:15 PM
Now I understand that anti-matter is matter that has the opposite charge of regular matter such as a anti-electron (positron) has the same mass and quantum numbers of a regular electron but the positron has a charge of +1 instead of -1 and when the two interact, they mutually destroy each other with the release of energy in the form of a gamma ray so you come into contact with it, it will annihilate you. Its also theorized that the moment after the Big Bang, there were 2 states of matter. There was matter and antimatter. As you know it is believed that there are now 11 dimensions in the universe. 3 space and 1 time. It is believed that almost all of the antimatter went into one of these dimensions. Correcte me if im wrong. Currently I have been doing research on the reason behind this exact opposite of matter. Here are some of my conclusions but I would like in put from others as well.

- Mixing matter and antimatter would lead to the annihilation of both in the same way that mixing antiparticles and particles does, thus giving rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) or other particle–antiparticle pairs. The particles resulting from matter-antimatter annihilation are endowed with energy equal to the difference between the rest mass of the products of the annihilation and the rest mass of the original matter-antimatter pair, which is 50% anti-matter (Other 50% are Neutrinos) to energy efficient. Which means that for instance if you had 500 grams of anti-matter and 500 grams of matter it would perfectly make the energy of E=MC2(mass in kilograms equaling 1 in this situation).

- It supports quantum electrodynamics and other field theories that successfully explain various high energy particle physics behavior.

- It is integral to the first few seconds of teh universe after the big bang. As the universe cooled, energy converted into matter and anti-matter.

-

DrWho
2009-Aug-26, 01:25 AM
As you know it is believed that there are now 11 dimensions in the universe.
That isn't the mainstream view. It's part of string theory (or M-theory), but that isn't accepted as yet. String theory still has quite a few problems (an embarrassment of possible universes and no testable predictions).

As to the purpose of antimatter, I don't think you can really ask that question. It's like asking what is the purpose of matter or energy? All we know is how it behaves and what it does, not its purpose.

WayneFrancis
2009-Aug-26, 04:19 AM
Now I understand that anti-matter is matter that has the opposite charge of regular matter such as a anti-electron (positron) has the same mass and quantum numbers of a regular electron but the positron has a charge of +1 instead of -1 and when the two interact, they mutually destroy each other with the release of energy in the form of a gamma ray so you come into contact with it, it will annihilate you. Its also theorized that the moment after the Big Bang, there were 2 states of matter. There was matter and antimatter. As you know it is believed that there are now 11 dimensions in the universe. 3 space and 1 time. It is believed that almost all of the antimatter went into one of these dimensions. Correcte me if im wrong. Currently I have been doing research on the reason behind this exact opposite of matter. Here are some of my conclusions but I would like in put from others as well.

- Mixing matter and antimatter would lead to the annihilation of both in the same way that mixing antiparticles and particles does, thus giving rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) or other particle–antiparticle pairs. The particles resulting from matter-antimatter annihilation are endowed with energy equal to the difference between the rest mass of the products of the annihilation and the rest mass of the original matter-antimatter pair, which is 50% anti-matter (Other 50% are Neutrinos) to energy efficient. Which means that for instance if you had 500 grams of anti-matter and 500 grams of matter it would perfectly make the energy of E=MC2(mass in kilograms equaling 1 in this situation).

- It supports quantum electrodynamics and other field theories that successfully explain various high energy particle physics behavior.

- It is integral to the first few seconds of teh universe after the big bang. As the universe cooled, energy converted into matter and anti-matter.

-

A bit of this looks like word salad and I'm not sure what you are asking.

Do you think that a single gamma ray would "annihilate" you?

Why are you defining matter states with just electrical charge?

Why do you think that in the early universe there was no neutrally charged particles?

Why do you bring M-Theory into this mix?

Have you read about the mainstream view on the asymmetry of matter / antimatter production?

What do you think the difference between matter/antimatter and particles/antiparticles is?

Please clarify this

The particles resulting from matter-antimatter annihilation are endowed with energy equal to the difference between the rest mass of the products of the annihilation and the rest mass of the original matter-antimatter pair, which is 50% anti-matter (Other 50% are Neutrinos) to energy efficient.

Why don't you believe that matter-antimatter annihilation doesn't produce a gamma ray based on the product of the total energy of the 2 particles? IE if a electron travelling at .999c collides with a positron travelling at .999c in the opposite direction what would be the frequency of the resulting photon be according to your formula above?

How do you reconcile that above quote with

Which means that for instance if you had 500 grams of anti-matter and 500 grams of matter it would perfectly make the energy of E=MC2(mass in kilograms equaling 1 in this situation)

which is more the mainstream view.

What is your understanding on the current mainstream view of the first instance of the universe given the standard model and does your idea agree with this model?

2009-Aug-26, 04:35 AM
All we know is how it behaves and what it does, not its purpose.

The purpose of antimatter is the opposite of the purpose of matter.

Someone had to say it.

Jens
2009-Aug-26, 04:49 AM

Someone had to say it.

I was going to say something completely different. That anti-matter has no purpose. It just exists.

DrWho
2009-Aug-26, 06:23 AM
So, now you're saying that both matter and antimatter have a purpose. I'd love to know what it is. Next thing you'll be telling me is that life has a purpose.

SuperKevin
2009-Aug-26, 06:36 AM
Same purpose as normal matter...it exists because it does.

If you want a better sounding 'guess' I'd say it's the universe's way of balancing everything out.

DrWho
2009-Aug-26, 07:09 AM
Existence does not imply purpose.

SuperKevin
2009-Aug-26, 07:28 AM
Existence does not imply purpose.

Exactly.

ShinAce
2009-Aug-26, 03:56 PM

If you want a better sounding 'guess' I'd say it's the universe's way of balancing everything out.

I'd say the same: anti-matter is bookkeeping for the existence of matter.

What's the purpose of having more matter than anti-matter lying around? I'd love to know.

trinitree88
2009-Aug-26, 05:22 PM

Someone had to say it.

01...:lol: pete

trinitree88
2009-Aug-26, 05:32 PM
Annihilation of a particle by an antiparticle can produce gamma rays. If both are initially at rest...(unlikely)...then a pair of gamma rays fired at 180 degrees will conserve momentum, or three at 120 degrees in a plane (also unlikely). When moving, the initial momentum must also be taken into account...more likely.
If we were to be annihilated, for every electron a positron, for every proton an antiproton, and for every neutron an antineutron must exist. Keep your bookkeeping straight....somehow the universe does. pete

Were you to make the antimatter, you could confine it in a magnetic field if you had a perfect {"vacuum" if it was only anti-protons and positrons, but free antineutrons will wander through the field and annihilate ordinary neutrons in the walls....disintegrating your "bottle".
Free neutrons diffuse as a gas through the walls of operating nuclear reactors slowly ...which is why high school kids can't tour them....being very susceptible to radiation damage.:shifty: pete