PDA

View Full Version : hellion 1957 to hit the sun this weekend?

Tenshu
2009-Aug-19, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB7dxQU6OtM

I haven't heard about this "hellion" dwarf star until today, but according to some people on youtube, this supposed star is expected to crash into the sun on friday-saturday Aug 22 overall, and cause massive problems for us all in the future because of it.

Now when i type up Hellion 1957 in one of my serch bars i hardly got any inquries or results of it, however both in this video i've posted as well as a video response within the video, several "sources" that they have found are being credited to "validate" this information, yet I can not find anything when i serch for it myself.

What is the general take on this, cause i'm rather nervous now.

tusenfem
2009-Aug-19, 11:49 AM
That you get no hits is because it does not exist.
Nothing will happen this weekend, because if it would, then we would clearly see it in the sky already.
Don't believe every conspirace youtube vid with Rammstein background music.

NEOWatcher
2009-Aug-19, 11:58 AM
Now when i type up Hellion 1957 in one of my serch bars i hardly got any inquries or results of it...
I do, and the results are all websites that we laugh about here.

, however both in this video i've posted as well as a video response within the video, several "sources" that they have found are being credited to "validate" this information, yet I can not find anything when i serch for it myself.
That should be a good clue that there is nothing substantial to it.

Anything that would affect the sun to that magnitude would have been seen by the thousands of amature astronomers all over the world for quite some time, and would be huge front page stories.

Also; the video talks about just about every political and doomsday issues we have in the news today. I don't see how anything can combine all those together.

Also lots of prophecy, biblical quotes, crop circles and the like. Again; how can you roll that all together?

What is the general take on this, cause i'm rather nervous now.
Personally, I think it's absolutely absurd. Nothing to it.

antoniseb
2009-Aug-19, 12:16 PM
Just as further validation that this is fictional:
- there is no catalog of celestial objects of any kind named "Hellion"
- there should be no "dead Red Dwarf stars" because the universe is still too young for that
- With the precision and care that we measure variations in pulsar pulse-trains, and spacecraft distances (see Pioneer anomaly), we'd have noticed this gravitational influence decades ago.

Swift
2009-Aug-19, 01:16 PM
I haven't heard about this "hellion" dwarf star until today, but according to some people on youtube, this supposed star is expected to crash into the sun on friday-saturday Aug 22 overall, and cause massive problems for us all in the future because of it.

The idea is, quite frankly, preposterous. Any dwarf star that was so close that it was going to hit us in 3 days would have been a naked eye object a very long time ago. It would have also messed up the orbits of all the other planets as it came into the solar system, something that would have been obvious years ago.

On the flip side, such an event would not "cause massive problems for us all in the future", because we would have no future. Certainly all life on the planet would be wiped out, and the planet itself would probably be destroyed.

Tenshu - chill, and learn to igonore YouTube nonsense.

korjik
2009-Aug-19, 03:43 PM
That you get no hits is because it does not exist.
Nothing will happen this weekend, because if it would, then we would clearly see it in the sky already.
Don't believe every conspirace youtube vid with Rammstein background music.

Is there a techno background music that means we should believe it?

:D

novaderrik
2009-Aug-19, 05:57 PM
Is there a techno background music that means we should believe it?

:D

anything by Ministry would do it for me. especially if it was "Psalm 69"..

matthewota
2009-Aug-19, 08:36 PM
Just because "some people" on YouTube post an alarmist video does not mean it is gospel. A lot of stuff on YouTube is fabricated nonsense. It is amazing what can be done with modern video production. I did some background research on the video. The person that made the post on the forum did so anonymously. The other link on the video went to a page describing a scientist's research observing meteoroid impacts on the Moon during lunar eclipses. It had noting to do with impacts on the Sun.

You need critical thinking skills, i.e. a good baloney filter.

Van Rijn
2009-Aug-19, 08:47 PM
I do, and the results are all websites that we laugh about here.

I looked at one of those sites. It had a very bad science fiction plot. For example, supposedly it was discovered in 1957 (funny how it has managed to stays invisible to the rest of us) and supposedly somebody is going to shoot at it to change its course (obviously, the writer has no concept of what it would take to shift the trajectory of a high mass object).

All in all, it sounded perfect for a S(k)iffy channel Saturday night movie. I do like the name ("Hellion 1957" is catchy). It's also nice that this story will fade quickly.

matthewota
2009-Aug-19, 08:58 PM
Well, at least the prediction is for this weekend. It is close enough in time to totally discredit it next week. as for 2012, we have over two more years of nonsense to put up with before it is silenced.

Nowhere Man
2009-Aug-19, 11:11 PM
The original message came from Godlike Productions. That should be a big fat warning sign that the information is, to be very generous, dubious at best.

See you on the 23rd.

Fred

matthewota
2009-Aug-19, 11:34 PM
These spreading of catastrophe theories is getting out of control.

I fear that we may see "Heaven's Gate" type of scenarios happening come 2012, where misinformed people will off themselves. Then again, it may be to human kind's advantage, removing gullible people from the gene pool.

brink
2009-Aug-20, 12:33 AM
We were saved this time from "Hellion" which is nothing more then just a human name. Please check my thread for more details. Don't let anyone tell you what is right, feel it with your heart.

http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/92288-dear-baut-binary-brown-dwarf-now-proven-fact-no-debunking.html

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-20, 12:40 AM
brink while this thread itself is a bit non-mainstream, you will not answer a question in the Q&A forum with your own ATM or CT claim.

This is your one warning. Next time will mean suspension.

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-20, 01:43 AM
... Don't let anyone tell you what is right, feel it with your heart. ...
I feel a lot with my heart.

What a shame empirical data usually screws things up and leaves me all broken hearted. :cry:

astromark
2009-Aug-20, 01:47 AM
Thousands of tons of cosmic debris fall into the sun every day.... as long as it misses Earth, I do not care. This is in fact good as it helps to balance the solar outflow....
Foolish nonsense is at best the kind description of your post Brink. Give us the inclination and declination of this object and we shall observe with interest:)me:)myself:)and I... All of us....mark

DrWho
2009-Aug-20, 02:50 AM
Thousands of tons of cosmic debris fall into the sun every day.... as long as it misses Earth, I do not care.
It doesn't miss the Earth. By some estimates some 40,000 tons of space dust fall to Earth each year.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-20, 03:53 AM
Don't let anyone tell you what is right, feel it with your heart.
I feel in my heart that YouTube attracts the dumbest of the dumb and then inspires them to demonstrate that they are just that by posting comments there.
The stupid. It burns!

DrWho
2009-Aug-20, 04:08 AM
I feel in my heart that YouTube attracts the dumbest of the dumb and then inspires them to demonstrate that they are just that by posting comments there.
Tis far better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! :D

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 04:52 AM
I would urge Phil Plait to jump on this story with his blog, but I have no way to contact him. Meanwhile, to make things worse, another person posted this image (see attached) from a recent LASCO imaging run on the SOHO. It will likely be jumped on by the CPs as "evidence"

mugaliens
2009-Aug-20, 05:46 AM
I searched on "hellion 1957" and found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Hell_It_Came):

From Hell It Came is a 1957 horror film and science fiction film directed by Dan Milner and written by Bruce Jay Friedman and Jack Milner. It was released by Allied Artists. According to Tim Healey, it deserves an honoured place in the canon of the world's worst movies.

Perhaps the YouTube video deserves an adjoining place?

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 06:11 AM
I googled "hellion 1957" and found a lot of wacko forums discussing it. I sure hope Phil Plait or somebody at NASA Goddard SFC jumps on this story soon. It will panic a lot of suggestible people.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-20, 06:25 AM
Tenshu - chill, and learn to igonore YouTube nonsense.

it's kind of hard to do when one has aspergers syndrome.

i'm sorry for posting this in general, but i didn't know any better, so feel free to kill me if any of you desire to.

Cause i'm nothing more than an idiot.

astromark
2009-Aug-20, 06:28 AM
It doesn't miss the Earth. By some estimates some 40,000 tons of space dust fall to Earth each year.

and where were we talking about this.. ? Cheap shots will win you no friends... read what I said and, imagine what I might have been eluding to. In context please. re; OP

The point of all this to and fro nonsense is surly to draw attention to the ridiculous notion that any object bigger than Earth's moon could sneak up on the sun without being seen...Utter Rubbish. File this with Nubaru and all that 2012 hysteria.

IT was a very bad B grade film of 1957. Leave it there.

Jens
2009-Aug-20, 06:33 AM
i'm sorry for posting this in general, but i didn't know any better, so feel free to kill me if any of you desire to.

Two things. First is that I'm pretty sure the comment was meant to be helpful. There's nothing wrong with asking a question like that. If you see something like that, it's not all that unnatural to get worried. The second thing is that the fact that you came here to ask about tends to indicate that you are not an idiot. Idiots are people who believe things without asking questions.

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 06:34 AM
Now it is spiralling out of control. Here is a typical wacko post:

"Warning, if you have a weak heart or in any fashion can not handle stress very well, I suggest to do not read any further.

I’ll put it real simple first then I will go into details for those who are interested.

Primary Basics

The Sun, our Sun, will be hit by a long since dead dwarf star. It has been named Hellion-1957. It was discovered December 22nd 1956.

Recapitulation of Detailed Information

Hellion’s approach will be from the south. Hellion is travelling varitably fast at 87.33 km/sec. This translates to 195,357.21 MPH. Hellion is classified as one of the fastest moving objects of it’s class.

Coordinates and Viewing Principles
RA 13.390911°
Dec -77.436111°
Velocity 87.33 km/sec
Density 174 gm/cm^3
Magnitude 11
Equatorial Radius 957.77km
Solid spherical shape

Projected outcome
The object will penetrate the sun and exit through the other side very similar to a bullet through a watermelon. The Suns core processes will not be destroyed. However, we expect a severe disturbance in the 11 year solar cycle.

Sun debris will be ejected into various orbits. It is calculated Earth has a 7.87% chance of hit/near miss of at least one piece of still burning ejecta.

The rogue dwarf Hellion will continue to exit the solar system at a reduced speed. We expect some of the suns ejecta to get caught in the tremendously strong magnetic field of Hellion.

We are now sure this is one of many processes that is responsible for the production of planets orbiting a sun. That being said, there is a slight chance of a new planet forming though, the process will involve thousands of years.

Hellion-1957 is considered the greatest threat to all nations of the world. Things aren’t always as they seem. North Korea, China, Russia, USA and Japan are the assigned teams to provide any possible solutions, preventions and neccessary preparations. However, dealing with the size and mass of Hellion, intervention is just about impossible. So the focus of effort has been shifted to survivability. The seed bank is one example.

There is one exception. The USA has technology that may be able to alter the density of the targeted object briefly making it lighter then it really is. Gravitic manipulation through scalar EM harmonies. Some of this tech was first explored by Tesla. North Korea is a safe place for the worlds leaders when the event takes place. The North Korean build up of arms is to protect the elite during and after the event. The majority of people on Earth will be left to defend themselves however they can. War with North Korea and the US will be the cover to hide large shipments of supplies, peoples and their choosen families to their safe homes under ground.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, for one I was kicked out of the safe place. They used me and tossed me away. At this point, I no longer care about much anymore. Everything you know of will change just like that. Because the energies involved in the collision are so great, 2/3 of the earth will be cooked from the high levels of radiation, UV, Gamma rays, ect.

Sincerely yours truly

Anon"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really a doozy. I will have to listen to George Noory "Coast to Coast" to see if they picked it up....

kucharek
2009-Aug-20, 06:41 AM
This guy forgot to put Iran's nuclear program into the plot...

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-20, 07:08 AM
matthewwota, please dial it back a little. You are simply too quick with the "crackpot" / "wacko" tags. (The subjective accuracy of those tags is not the issue.)

Jens
2009-Aug-20, 07:26 AM
Is it possible that this is some kind of a guerrilla marketing scheme or something? Perhaps a movie or something will be coming out on this theme?

DrWho
2009-Aug-20, 07:47 AM
and where were we talking about this.. ? Cheap shots will win you no friends... read what I said and, imagine what I might have been eluding to.
It wasn't meant as a cheap shot - it's sometimes difficult to interpret your meaning. I thought you were saying that the space debris that was striking the sun was somehow missing the Earth. That is all.

robross
2009-Aug-20, 08:32 AM
Whoever is posting these rumors is a lying copyright infringer. As far as I am concerned, there is, and will always be, only ONE true Hellion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopkgGxGzQs
(Judas Priest - Hellion / Electric Eye)

And here's a picture of it:

http://www.ugo.com/music/metal-album-covers/images/entries/screaming-for-vengeance.jpg

And a description from the "Screaming For Vengeance" album:

"From an unknown land and through distant skies came a winged warrior. Nothing remained sacred, no one was safe from the Hellion as it uttered its battle cry."

Rob

astromark
2009-Aug-20, 10:03 AM
Mark is well aware of the amount of mater the Earth collects., and just as an aside...If it hits the sun then it missed the Earth.:)...We are on the same page... Do not take me to seriously, I don't. If you fail to understand me its not surprising. I do talk in riddles and my mind is racing off on another mission entirely...:)At the moment I'm planning a underwater habitat that can be relocated... of the coast of Korea... Oh-please...

astromark
2009-Aug-20, 10:06 AM
Look... some truth after all... and thank you robross... Sigh...

Grashtel
2009-Aug-20, 11:01 AM
Personally I find not watching YouTube and either reading a good book or taking a nice long walk instead to be virtually 100% effective in preventing YouTube loonies from getting to me. My book recommendation for the week is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, one particular advantage of it is that if you know where to look (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/17-StormfromtheShadowsCD/) you can legitimately get the whole series except the latest two books for free in electronic format.

Swift
2009-Aug-20, 01:04 PM

As Jens said, you're not an idiot, and we are not going to kill you, or even punish you. It is fine to ask questions, that's what Q&A is about, and it is much better to ask such questions on BAUT then to worry about it.

I know a little about Aspergers and I'm sure it can be tough. I'm not sure how, or if, we can help.

All we are saying, is before you panic about everything posted on YouTube, think about the source, understand that there are a lot of silly or nasty people out there that make up a lot of nonsense just to get others worked up, and ask about something like this before you panic.

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 03:53 PM
I know I am preaching to the chior (mostly) but here is some information related to 'Hellion-1957'

I wrote to the SOHO people at GSFC and got a prompt reply regarding the image found here:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov//data/REPROCESSING/Completed/2009/c3/20090816/200 90816_0318_c3_512.jpg

"Dear Matthew

That image looks rather strange indeed. As these structures are out of focus and moving through a large fraction of the LASCO C3 field of view during the 19 sec exposure time, they must be caused by debris that is moving relatively close in front of the spacecraft.

During the last week we had a lot of "action" on SOHO, with door closures,
thruster firings (station keeping and momentum management maneuvers), a 180 degree roll, and door openings again. Some of the doors are spring-loaded, i.e. they produce quite a "bang" when they open. The MLI (multi-layer-insulation) that is wrapped around the spacecraft and most instruments has become quite brittle over the more than 13 years SOHO has been in orbit. It is therefore quite possible that these structures are caused by a flake of MLI that has come off after a door opening.

These spacecraft maneuvers are also the reason why you can't find images from the 11th to the 13th. During that time, the LASCO doors were closed to protect the sensitive optics of LASCO from contamination during the thruster firings.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
George Dimitoglou

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That explanation makes sense to me, but I doubt if it will convince the promoters of the hoax. I will try anyways. Off to the forums I go.

Gillianren
2009-Aug-20, 04:23 PM
If you fail to understand me its not surprising.

No, it isn't. It would help if you would write coherently.

dhd40
2009-Aug-20, 04:37 PM
Idiots are people who believe things without asking questions.

:clap: GREAT ! :clap:

Gandalf223
2009-Aug-20, 05:00 PM
The guy on youtube said something about building "protective shelters," but I'm not gonna chase all those links to find out what that means.

I think I'll just go outside and wrap my entire house in aluminum foil. Obviously, my tinfoil hat just isn't enough anymore...

NEOWatcher
2009-Aug-20, 05:04 PM
I think I'll just go outside and wrap my entire house in aluminum foil. Obviously, my tinfoil hat just isn't enough anymore...
You may want to go the extra step and get that lead foil that the Mythbusters used to make a balloon out of.

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 05:10 PM
The Mythbusters are my heroes

HenrikOlsen
2009-Aug-20, 05:25 PM
The stupid. It burns!
I've been made aware that it looks like this comment was aimed at brink.
It wasn't, I have no reason to believe that brink had posted stupid comments in YouTube.
The reason why I quoted him was because it felt like a good segue.

rommel543
2009-Aug-20, 06:30 PM
You know watching that video, someone that has the smallest amount of knowledge in astronomy would know that it was rubbish BUT someone that has no understanding of astronomy,physics, etc could get really freaked by it. The author puts in enough tangible facts about things going on, that people can look around and go "hey thats right". That person would then start thinking that "if he's right about those things then the other stuff must be right to".

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 07:21 PM
I see absolutely the worst spelling, syntax and grammar on YouTube comments. It reflects on the intelligence (or lack of) on the commentors there.

Elukka
2009-Aug-20, 08:13 PM
As a point of interest, what would happen if a dwarf (or any other kind of star) did hit the sun?
I know it will most likely never happen, but one could spin a story out of it. :p

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 08:40 PM
The author puts in enough tangible facts about things going on, that people can look around and go "hey thats right". That person would then start thinking that "if he's right about those things then the other stuff must be right to".

That is why we have to fight against internet nonsense. It frightens the unenlightened.

My philosophy is the exact negative when it comes to reporters. When they report falsehoods or misleading information on topics that I am well versed in, it reduces my faith in the accuracy fo their reporting on topics that I am ignorant of. Needless to say, I have little respect for journalists who do not do their homework.

Rhaedas
2009-Aug-20, 08:43 PM
There's two parts to the scenario, the gravitational disruption due to passage through the system, and the impact with the Sun. For something with a solar mass or greater...game over for us, pretty much.

What about lower masses though? Say a rogue Jupiter mass wanders through and gets swallowed by the Sun - would it be enough to cause major orbit changes if it doesn't come close by a body, and how will the Sun react to the collision?

astromark
2009-Aug-20, 09:36 PM
Being the Lazy mind that I know I am I will not or can not actually calculate at what mass things would become troublesome for us... The energy transfer is the issue for us. By that I am saying that the mass and velocity of any impacting object are going to have some effect. Knowing that about 99% of this solar systems mass is within the solar disk. Or, is it the same as 1% is planetary mater ...no, not the same thing I agree...A Jupiter sized mass could be engulfed by the Sun and we might just notice. Unfortunately the path that object uses might be disadvantageous to us... I have looked into those orbital programs that make fun playing with planets movement. It takes very little to disturb the fine equilibrium we have here. I have thought that at or from the polar approach path a significant mass could collide with Sol and not wipe us off at all. Just as with 'Godzilla' Size does matter.

matthewota
2009-Aug-20, 09:41 PM
Getting back to the meat of this topic, which is debunking the whole story....

I left a comment on Phil Plaits blog. Hopefully he will see it and make a posting about it before August 22nd.

I also left a very long and detailed email with Snopes.com. Hopefully they will take action on it.

Every couple of hours I google "Hellion-1957" and I am getting more and more hits.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-21, 01:11 AM
Every couple of hours I google "Hellion-1957" and I am getting more and more hits.

i'm guessing that's not a good sign is it?

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-21, 01:19 AM

That depends on what you mean.

A person who believes the story is true will think "not a good sign" because they think the many hits means the story is gaining credibility.

But a person who knows the story is bogus will think "not a good sign" because they know the many hits means spreading of misinformation.

(Many hits simply means many links. It does not equal accuracy).

Jens
2009-Aug-21, 01:40 AM

Why would it be a bad sign?

DrWho
2009-Aug-21, 01:51 AM
Not surprising when people keep posting about it - like here! :)

Tenshu
2009-Aug-21, 01:57 AM
That depends on what you mean.

A person who believes the story is true will think "not a good sign" because they think the many hits means the story is gaining credibility.

But a person who knows the story is bogus will think "not a good sign" because they know the many hits means spreading of misinformation.

(Many hits simply means many links. It does not equal accuracy).

I was thinking of the first option there, but now that you've put it that way it doesn't sound so bad.

Gillianren
2009-Aug-21, 02:40 AM
If this is supposed to happen this weekend, won't the fact that it doesn't dispose nicely of the need to debunk it now? I mean, it's Thursday evening here in Pacific Daylight Time. There's not a lot of week left.

matthewota
2009-Aug-21, 03:15 AM
Seriously, I worry that there are gullible people that will off themselves before the predicted collision ala "Heaven's Gate" and comet Hale Bopp.

Celestial Mechanic
2009-Aug-21, 04:21 AM
I searched on "hellion 1957" and found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Hell_It_Came):

From Hell It Came is a 1957 horror film and science fiction film directed by Dan Milner and written by Bruce Jay Friedman and Jack Milner. It was released by Allied Artists. According to Tim Healey, it deserves an honoured place in the canon of the world's worst movies.Perhaps the YouTube video deserves an adjoining place?Yes, that was one stinky little movie, something about walking zombie trees. It got one of the best capsule reviews of all time:

"From Hell It Came" -- and to hell it can go!
:lol:

Van Rijn
2009-Aug-21, 05:37 AM
Seriously, I worry that there are gullible people that will off themselves before the predicted collision ala "Heaven's Gate" and comet Hale Bopp.

They've had a lot of opportunities for that, if they're of that mind. This is one of the less well distributed doomsday stories. We've discussed a few previous claimed doomsdays on BAUT/BABB.

astromark
2009-Aug-21, 05:54 AM
Is it not absolutely amazing, what people will believe... Without so much as a single dram of real science fact. There's a red dwarf star going to collide with Sol this weekend and then the trouble starts...

See you all Monday then !

ineluki
2009-Aug-21, 12:04 PM
. Meanwhile, to make things worse, another person posted this image (see attached) from a recent LASCO imaging run on the SOHO."

Isn't this the same picture that was supposed to be evidence for Nibiru?

AndreasJ
2009-Aug-21, 12:36 PM
Isn't this the same picture that was supposed to be evidence for Nibiru?

We like to think of it as "efficiency". :cool:

Swift
2009-Aug-21, 01:21 PM
They've had a lot of opportunities for that, if they're of that mind. This is one of the less well distributed doomsday stories. We've discussed a few previous claimed doomsdays on BAUT/BABB.
I have to disagree... we've discussed numerous previously claimed doomsdays on BAUT/BABB. ;)

As they say about kidney stones, this too shall pass.

Gillianren
2009-Aug-21, 04:50 PM
I have to disagree... we've discussed numerous previously claimed doomsdays on BAUT/BABB. ;)

It's true; they happen all the time. If people want to be paranoid about TEOTWAWKI, they will be, and if they're going to kill themselves over it, we can't stop them. I will note that suicide for this reason is vanishingly rare, and most people who might be considered to be killing themselves over, oh, a brown dwarf crashing into the sun are unstable enough that they'd almost certainly kill themselves anyway.

In short, the panic about mass suicide has just as much validity as the panic over the thing itself.

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-21, 08:11 PM
Are we there dead yet?

Lone Wolf
2009-Aug-21, 08:47 PM
My leg still itches, so ...not yet?

Current GMT/UT time is 2046 on 21st August...so maybe 3.25 hours-27.25 hours to go?

Van Rijn
2009-Aug-21, 08:52 PM

Okay, well, I was thinking of previous claimed doomsdays that were supposed to occur during the time I've been on BAUT & BABB. I wasn't counting the discussed stories that were supposed to occur prior to BAUT/BABB, or claimed future doomsdays.

By the way, I didn't hear about the 2003 version of Planet X until late 2004. It just wasn't that big a story outside of some internet sites.

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-21, 10:58 PM
This one will probably have a long run with the woos.

They'll claim it hit the Sun on the far side where nobody could see it and that the effects will take years to be come noticable, which will, however, be all the more deadly when they become apparent.

Get some popcorn and be ready for a long haul and a trail of bull from here to Kingdom Come.

Extravoice
2009-Aug-22, 01:27 AM
I am paying my bills online as I read this thread. Just in case the end of the world comes this weekend, I cleverly scheduled all the payments for next week. :)

Ha Ha, the credit card companies will never see that money!

matthewota
2009-Aug-22, 03:20 PM
I googled "Hellion-1957" just a few minutes ago. More and more non-science forums are picking up on the story. It is impossible to register and log into every one of them to refute the claims. It is like trying to fight back the tide. Hopefully things will calm down after Sunday.

Gillianren
2009-Aug-22, 06:03 PM
You know, I think we're a little more submerged in this than we realize. I've met a grand total of one person who'd even heard of Planet X before I mentioned it. At least that I know of. And I meet a lot of people. I met one HB once; most people, when I bring up the subject, look at me blankly, because they can't believe anyone would believe anything so stupid. True with most CTs I mention yesterday. Yeah, okay, 2012. Though most of the people I know have the good sense to realize that one's hooey, too. To wig out because the misinformation is spreading is to assume that much of anyone outside the usual woo circles, and therefore us, have heard of it.

robross
2009-Aug-22, 06:13 PM
Game over man.

First, some kind of giant pair of saw blades is ripping the Sun to shreds even as we speak. And the sun turned green.

Run away, run away!!

Rob

mugaliens
2009-Aug-22, 06:22 PM
And the sun turned green.

It must have been hit with a giant ball of pesto.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-22, 06:38 PM
^i gonna assume that's a joke...

techinically it should be over by tommarrow as today the 22 was the "day of happening" for this so called event.

robross
2009-Aug-22, 06:48 PM
^i gonna assume that's a joke...

techinically it should be over by tommarrow as today the 22 was the "day of happening" for this so called event.

That is probably a safe assumption to make. However, if it will help clarify things for you:

"OH NOES" - common internet phrase expressing false or sarcastic surprise
"It's heading right for us" - See South Park (literally - go see it. It's funny)
"Run away, run away" - see Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The picture is no joke, however; it is quite real. However, I feel quite safe in assuming my description of what it represents has been embellished a smidge.

Rob

Tenshu
2009-Aug-22, 06:59 PM
The picture is no joke, however; it is quite real.

Then where did you get it?

However, I feel quite safe in assuming my description of what it represents has been embellished a smidge.

i don't mean to be rude, but i don't understand what you mean here.

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-22, 07:10 PM
... It is impossible to register and log into every one of them to refute the claims. ...
Why even bother?

Just let the non-event not happen and, consequently, let the fools look like, err, fools.

Go back after the non-fact and ask them very detailed questions about what didn't happen. Make sure you repeat their prediction as often as possible while doing so.

This is called "rubbing it in." Very impolite. Very un-BAUT-ish. Very amusing. ;)

AndreasJ
2009-Aug-22, 07:53 PM
You know, I think we're a little more submerged in this than we realize. I've met a grand total of one person who'd even heard of Planet X before I mentioned it.
Do you mean "Planet X" specifically in the TEOTWAWKI sense? Because I'd be a bit surprised if the phrase was quite that unknown, the "real" (transneptunian) version being mentioned in my primary school textbooks and all.

antoniseb
2009-Aug-22, 08:39 PM
...techinically it should be over by tommarrow as today the 22 was the "day of happening" for this so called event.

Tenshu, let me compliment you. The two things you've posted about since you joined were this, and an earlier thing about a Russian article on Planet X. Most people who come here talking about such topics drop in, try to draw attention quickly, and then leave before the event. YOU are still here. I take this to be a sign that you have a broader interest than simply spreading end-of-the-world fears.

There are lots of things going on in the world of astronomy. Please stick around and join in other discussions.

robross
2009-Aug-22, 08:53 PM
Then where did you get it?

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime-images.html

i don't mean to be rude, but i don't understand what you mean here.

These pictures are taken by the SOHO satellite, and occasionally you'll see artifacts in the picture that are easily explained but often used by conspiracy theorists to show something that isn't really there. In this case, I suspect there was some glitch in the transmission of that particular image, since it seems to have doubled the instrument they use to cover most of the sun so the corona can be seen.

So what I meant was, it is a real actual picture, but it represents a transient artifact, because in fact two giant sawblades are not about to slice through the sun.

Rob

Tenshu
2009-Aug-22, 09:02 PM
These pictures are taken by the SOHO satellite, and occasionally you'll see artifacts in the picture that are easily explained but often used by conspiracy theorists to show something that isn't really there. In this case, I suspect there was some glitch in the transmission of that particular image, since it seems to have doubled the instrument they use to cover most of the sun so the corona can be seen.

So what I meant was, it is a real actual picture, but it represents a transient artifact, because in fact two giant sawblades are not about to slice through the sun.

so basically there is nothing to worry about right? sorry for the misunderstanding.

Lone Wolf
2009-Aug-22, 09:09 PM
Well, there's less than 2 hours to go on the 22nd of August (GMT/Zulu/UT time zone), and I'm still here reading, giggling, and drinking tea.

I shall, assuming we're all still here, make another post at midnight (ish) :p just "fer teh giggles".

It was a mostly bright, but cool day today. No rain (unusually), so it's not like they can claim I couldn't see it because of the cloud cover.

Van Rijn
2009-Aug-22, 09:22 PM
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime-images.html

I'll add that it appears to be an EIT 195 Å (extreme UV) filter image. They typically color code those green. Here's a page on that telescope:

http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eit/

I mention that because in the past we've had people that claimed these were visible light images of the sun, and that the sun was changing colors, had holes, etc. based on the images. They didn't understand that these images are not in the range humans can see, and don't show all the same stuff. That's why they built this telescope - to show things that couldn't be easily seen in the visible spectrum.

These pictures are taken by the SOHO satellite, and occasionally you'll see artifacts in the picture that are easily explained but often used by conspiracy theorists to show something that isn't really there.

Yes, it's common for CTs to look for something they don't understand in a SOHO or other spacecraft image, and then declare it's Planet X, aliens, a negative space wedgie, or whatever.

It's important to remember that one should rule out mundane explanations before jumping on the fantastic ones. Unfortunately, many CTs don't take that step.

mugaliens
2009-Aug-22, 09:22 PM
Still here... Although I must admin that when I stare at the sun for any length of time, it turns dark orange...

robross
2009-Aug-22, 09:34 PM
Still here... Although I must admin that when I stare at the sun for any length of time, it turns dark orange...

That could just be your optic nerve burning.

Do you smell smoke?

Rob

Tenshu
2009-Aug-22, 09:38 PM
Tenshu, let me compliment you. The two things you've posted about since you joined were this, and an earlier thing about a Russian article on Planet X. Most people who come here talking about such topics drop in, try to draw attention quickly, and then leave before the event. YOU are still here. I take this to be a sign that you have a broader interest than simply spreading end-of-the-world fears.

if you think spreading fear is my intention then you are wrong, I mearly seek the truth of things, and i don't want something that could possibly threaten my life come to pass which is why i seek out help in debunking it, because my brain can't do that on it's own.

There are lots of things going on in the world of astronomy. Please stick around and join in other discussions.

I used to like Astronomy as a kid, but now it's my biggest fear in life.

Metricyard
2009-Aug-22, 09:49 PM
I wonder sometimes if people at places like NASA or other scientific facilities, after hearing silly end of the world rumors like these, ever get tempted to have a fake news conference and tell the people that it really is going to happen.

Just for social scientific curiosity purposes of course.

Lone Wolf
2009-Aug-22, 10:20 PM
I wonder sometimes if people at places like NASA or other scientific facilities, after hearing silly end of the world rumors like these, ever get tempted to have a fake news conference and tell the people that it really is going to happen.

Just for social scientific curiosity purposes of course.

:lol::lol:The trouble with that idea is :

They do it once, and no one will ever take them seriously again...:whistle:

Even if they do it as an April Fool's joke.

Metricyard
2009-Aug-22, 10:59 PM
:lol::lol:The trouble with that idea is :

They do it once, and no one will ever take them seriously again...:whistle:

Even if they do it as an April Fool's joke.

Maybe if they did it enough, then all the naysayers would get an education to prove that their really isn't any real conspiracies, or look up information to show we really went to the moon, and there is no observable death star object about to collide with Earth, or realize that the Mayan calendar is just that, a calendar.

A bit of reverse psychology, as it were. Or not. Still would be fun though. :shifty:

Lone Wolf
2009-Aug-22, 11:57 PM
Well, it's 1am here in the UK, and midnight GMT.

No bright lights in the sky, but it has clouded over somewhat...
Nothing of note has appeared. So far.

Guess it's all a load of Boojum juice. :sick:

What say we wait for the Disaster-porn in 2012? :whistle:

Oh, hello? Neighbours are out. Let me go see what's happening...

MY GODS! It's full of stars!! RUN!!!!:lol:

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-23, 12:26 AM
... and i don't want something that could possibly threaten my life come to pass ...

Whether you know about it or not, won't affect the outcome.

Please, don't worry about this stuff.

If anything, support the efforts of real science (Earth and Space based) to make real predictions based on real observations, and to enable real measures to be taken.

You can also do stuff yourself, like having an emergency kit (canned food, bottled water, torches and stuff) at home, in case of earthquake or flood or whatever real risks occur where you live.

But really, don't spend your life worrying about this stuff. That won't help a bit.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-23, 01:12 AM
Whether you know about it or not, won't affect the outcome.

Please, don't worry about this stuff.

You have a point, but i can't help it, i try so hard to not worry about things like that.

If anything, support the efforts of real science (Earth and Space based) to make real predictions based on real observations, and to enable real measures to be taken.

I understand and i'm sorry for posting any of this to begin with.

You can also do stuff yourself, like having an emergency kit (canned food, bottled water, torches and stuff) at home, in case of earthquake or flood or whatever real risks occur where you live.

Good point, i'll look into doing that.

But really, don't spend your life worrying about this stuff. That won't help a bit.

Thank you for the words of encouragement i shall try harder to not be deceived by disturbing things anymore, and i'm sorry for making this thread.

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-23, 01:15 AM
...and don't be sorry, either!

You are perfectly welcome to ask such questions at BAUT.

antoniseb
2009-Aug-23, 01:37 AM
if you think spreading fear is my intention then you are wrong, ...

No, I was saying you were different than other people bringing up these topics because that ISN'T your intention (as far as I can tell).

matthewota
2009-Aug-23, 02:18 AM
I understand and i'm sorry for posting any of this to begin with.
Good point, i'll look into doing that.
Thank you for the words of encouragement i shall try harder to not be deceived by disturbing things anymore, and i'm sorry for making this thread.

There is not reason for you to be sorry. If you would not have posted the thread I would not have known about the hoax and would not have investigated it. I got a nice email from the SOHO people explaining the objects seen in the images that the hoax mongers are using to back their claims.

There are many apocalyptic hoaxes going around. It was just this one was so close on the calendar I was compelled to do something about it.

I Hate to say this, but there is another hoax story that in 2017 the Solar System will pass through a "galactic dust cloud" that will destroy the Earth. But we will have to work on debunking the 2012 hoax first.

One bogus hoax at a time....

Gillianren
2009-Aug-23, 02:32 AM
Do you mean "Planet X" specifically in the TEOTWAWKI sense? Because I'd be a bit surprised if the phrase was quite that unknown, the "real" (transneptunian) version being mentioned in my primary school textbooks and all.

Yes. There's also the Looney Tunes version, which my friends are also familiar with. Just not the, you know, going to kill us all in May 2003 sense.

Lone Wolf
2009-Aug-23, 09:53 AM

Well, a little worry can be healthy : As long as you focus it into positive aspects: researching the worry, and how it will/will not affect you. And yes, asking questions of people more knowledgeable than yourself is researching :p

If you're going to let the worry fester and hide yourself away in a cellar/basement/bunker/secret underground complex lined with tinfoil and egg-boxes, then that's probably the bad kind of worry.

Nowhere Man
2009-Aug-23, 11:57 AM
See you on the 23rd.

[waves at everyone] Well, I'm still here. What about you guys?

Fred

AndreasJ
2009-Aug-23, 12:22 PM
I got killed by a rouge red dwarf, I'm afraid.

Yes, I meant "rogue". It's part of the joke, damnit!

matthewota
2009-Aug-23, 12:45 PM
I am still here. I knew it was just brittle mylar on the SoHo aperture doors that started it all. Occam's razor wins again!

kucharek
2009-Aug-23, 04:56 PM
There goes another doomsday...
I have to admit, I didn't lived the day as it would be my last. Ya know, booze & girls. Instead did a cycling tour with my kids to a lake for swimming, had lunch in a beergarden. Just the usual weekend.

mugaliens
2009-Aug-23, 07:13 PM

Fred

Nope! I'm a fiery figment of everyone's imagination, having suffered a horrific setback when my planet became toast yesterday...

Ok, yes - still here. :lol:

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-23, 08:56 PM
Ok, we're all still here.

Now, more importantly, where can we go to gloat.

Please provide addresses which promise maximum effect with minimum effort. :D

Swift
2009-Aug-23, 09:04 PM
Well, I've been away for a day... are we still here?.... rats, now I'll have to go to work tomorrow.

There goes another doomsday...
I have to admit, I didn't lived the day as it would be my last. Ya know, booze & girls. Instead did a cycling tour with my kids to a lake for swimming, had lunch in a beergarden. Just the usual weekend.
Actually, that sounds like a better way to spend one's last day than "booze & girls".

astromark
2009-Aug-23, 09:23 PM
:)Lol If you find that place please post it here... I want so much to be party to this...I enjoy a good party.
The fact is that due to a small error in the translations of 'Nostrodanusess' You know who I mean..., jurnals and a small mistake while calculating the actual dates involved this is all a week early, its next week... I have witnessed the 'Mayan calendar'.... No. We all still have time to run and hide. If you work out where we all can. Just post it here.
NOW ITS OVER... song title... Do not be so quick to withdraw and apologise 'Tenshu'. Its NOT wrong to ask, or worry. Wanting to know is good. I applaud you.
and we ( I ) have had some fun here. And if that's offended you its wrong and I'm sorry...
So Its pleasing to be still as well as we are this fine and sunny Monday. I have survived another weekend. Fleetingly glancing a look at the sun, dialling in on SOHO... just to check...mark.

Selenite
2009-Aug-23, 09:26 PM
It's fascinating and funny to read the backpedaling that goes on some of these hysteria-generation sites.

...August 22nd was just one of many possible dates for the collision...

...It hit but it takes time for the full effects like pole reversal to kick in...

...The aliens intervened to give humanity another chance...

Must be convenient when science is something you can just make up as you along. :rolleyes:

astromark
2009-Aug-23, 09:55 PM
Let me make it clear... I am in no way part of that school of thinking. This doomsday event never was a fly'er. I am simply suggesting that its not wrong to ask or, enquire as to that fact. Thats all 'Tenshu' did. Its Its been well documented as rubbish and even the OP can see that. Very few in this web site would except this view as science based. Its been fun. That's all it ever was. Education is a tool not a weapon.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-24, 12:27 AM
Astronomy seems like a weapon to me, used to scare people, i'd love to see it used as a tool though.

pzkpfw
2009-Aug-24, 12:31 AM
Astronomy seems like a weapon to me, used to scare people, i'd love to see it used as a tool though.

Spend more time here, and less time wherever it is they make the wild claims.

That will give you a better perspective.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Aug-24, 12:32 AM
Astronomy seems like a weapon to me, used to scare people, . . .

What?

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Aug-24, 12:32 AM

I guess if you use your imaginations a Dob' looks like a mortar or rocket launcher.

Nick

Selenite
2009-Aug-24, 12:52 AM

Only a weapon in the hands of cynical fear mongers who use most people's ignorance of what goes in the heavens to make money or attract publicity with dubious books, websites and videos. Correctly used, astronomy has been a vital tool that has historically given us tidal tables, the agricultural calender, optics, communication satellites and a myriad number of other benefits.

Swift
2009-Aug-24, 02:12 AM
The same could be said for every human invention since fire and the flint arrowhead.

Jens
2009-Aug-24, 02:20 AM

I think I understand what you're trying to say. But in reality, astronomy is simply the study of stars and what not. What you are saying is equivalent to saying that if a person tells you not to go swimming because sharks are scary, that zoology is being used as a weapon to scare people. It's not. The image of sharks is being used to scare people, I think you'd agree. So in this case it is people using the idea of scary things from outer space to scare you. That's not astronomy.

Senor Molinero
2009-Aug-24, 02:23 AM
In the words of some unnamed (but easily researchable) Simpsons' character:
"Let's burn down the observatory so that this never happens again!"

astromark
2009-Aug-24, 07:47 AM
I do not watch the Simpson's... I do not want to ever see those words in here ever again. That is the most vial detestable act I can imagine against the astronomer. (Maybe a floodlit sports ground.)
... Please, please do not talk of such atrocities as it only spreads the idea... stupidity does not need to be encouraged it's rampant already.
I do understand what you are saying 'Senor Molinero' and, actually agree. , but lets leave that idiot Mr Simpson and any thing he said where he and it belongs...

Tenshu; Do not let this subject alarm you. Those people who use "Death from the stars' and other scare tactics. Are fools. All they say and do, only serves to encourage there want to guide your thinking. Stop reading what is not science based facts. As you have seen by the response this page has drawn. We are passionate about this astronomy subject and will react with some enthusiasm when we see such bullying.

astromark
2009-Aug-24, 08:20 AM
Glad to have said that...:)
Now, Tenshu. We astronomy minded people and, I dare to speak for almost all. Are keen to help you become better informed. You are well on the way by simply coming here. You have shown great intellect and we respect that. Turn your attention away from such unscientific sources such as might be found on 'U-tube' As entertaining as it might be and seem. Its nonsense and fiction. This subject has many different branches and research of any will soon reveal a wealth of interesting facts. Search through the many pages on offer here as many great minds are found and contribute here. Across the header of this page are found the links that will direct you to the many areas of interest. Astronomy is a science not a weapon. Do not be frightened by what you have little knowledge of. Knowledge is power and education the tool. Research is made easy with an internet connection. You are half way there.

Daggerstab
2009-Aug-24, 08:32 AM

Then look into celestial navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_navigation) - the thing mariners used before GPS. :) It's one of the most direct practical applications of astronomy.

DrWho
2009-Aug-24, 08:33 AM
In the words of some unnamed (but easily researchable) Simpsons' character:
"Let's burn down the observatory so that this never happens again!"
Ha, ha, I remember that one! Such a great bit of satire. :D

dhd40
2009-Aug-24, 06:10 PM
I got killed by a rouge red dwarf, I'm afraid.

Yes, I meant "rogue". It's part of the joke, damnit!

Well, I got killed by a rouge as well. If my memory isn´t misleading me, it was in 1974.
And that´s not part of a joke. She´s still around :) (not hitting the sun, the sun hitting her)

Extravoice
2009-Aug-24, 06:21 PM
It's fascinating and funny to read the backpedaling that goes on some of these hysteria-generation sites.

...August 22nd was just one of many possible dates for the collision...

...It hit but it takes time for the full effects like pole reversal to kick in...

...The aliens intervened to give humanity another chance...

Must be convenient when science is something you can just make up as you along. :rolleyes:

As predictable as it is sad.

Tenshu
2009-Aug-24, 06:25 PM
Glad to have said that...:)
Now, Tenshu. We astronomy minded people and, I dare to speak for almost all. Are keen to help you become better informed. You are well on the way by simply coming here. You have shown great intellect and we respect that. Turn your attention away from such unscientific sources such as might be found on 'U-tube' As entertaining as it might be and seem. Its nonsense and fiction. This subject has many different branches and research of any will soon reveal a wealth of interesting facts. Search through the many pages on offer here as many great minds are found and contribute here. Across the header of this page are found the links that will direct you to the many areas of interest. Astronomy is a science not a weapon. Do not be frightened by what you have little knowledge of. Knowledge is power and education the tool. Research is made easy with an internet connection. You are half way there.

thank you very much, i appreaciate what you've told me and i feel much better now than i ever have before.

rommel543
2009-Aug-24, 08:49 PM
So I guess this means I still have to go to work tomorrow morning?

Jens
2009-Aug-25, 02:34 AM

Unfortunately, yes. But look at it on the bright side. We get to see a shuttle launch!

Extravoice
2009-Aug-25, 12:28 PM
Curses! Those electronic bills I paid last week are being processed. It looks like I have to resort to "Plan B" and go to work this morning.

PS to Tenshu: Don't feel bad about seeing the dire predictions and becoming concerned. You were right to be concerned. The key is that you acted constructively on that concern and went searching for real information to determine if the predictions had any validity.

BTW: That's how I found this board. A few years back, I stumbled across some stuff about a "Planet X" that was due to cause great calamity within two weeks. My knee-jerk reaction was that it was baloney. Still, I wasn't absolutely sure and spent a lunch hour poking around the Internet foraging for real information. This was one of the few sites that didn't promote baseless fear and anxiety.

rommel543
2009-Aug-25, 02:42 PM
This was one of the few sites that didn't promote baseless fear and anxiety.

At least in this part of the forum :P

rommel543
2009-Aug-25, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, yes. But look at it on the bright side. We get to see a shuttle launch!

Well maybe tomorrow. The launch was scrubbed for today due to thunderstorms. MAYBE if the crappy weather there last long enough I will be able to watch the launch when I'm down there next week. :D

Gillianren
2009-Aug-25, 04:44 PM
Bwah ha ha! I don't have to go to work!

rommel543
2009-Aug-25, 05:24 PM
I'm a software developer so you could say that really don't either.. I just have to go somewhere else to surf the internet.

kleindoofy
2009-Aug-25, 08:43 PM
No.

Only if you want to earn money. ;)