PDA

View Full Version : "Alien" Question

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-17, 03:42 PM
Someone asked me this recently.

In the distant future, if a baby was born in space--could that child be "classified" as alien, since he/she was not born on earth?

The question stumped me, I did not know how to answer, so I thought that I would get a varity of answers from here.

milli360
2004-Jan-17, 04:20 PM
In the future, they will handle it the same way that they handle it today when someone from one country has a baby in another country--it'll be all screwed up.

Normandy6644
2004-Jan-17, 07:48 PM
Someone asked me this recently.

In the distant future, if a baby was born in space--could that child be "classified" as alien, since he/she was not born on earth?

The question stumped me, I did not know how to answer, so I thought that I would get a varity of answers from here.

I saw something like this on a science channel show where they were speculating about travel to another star system. I guess it would "alien" in a sense that it wasn't technically born on earth, but still "human" for obvious reasons.

beck0311
2004-Jan-17, 08:00 PM
I must admit that I don't really understand how evolution works, but if people were to live on a terraformed planet (say Mars) over a large number of generations, it seems possible that they would evolve differently than those still on Earth, so it seems reasonable that Earthlings may consider these "Martians" to be "aliens" especially considering the human propensity for labeling people who are "different" looking. The US legal standard for whether a person is born a citizen, is "blood or soil" meaning if a child is born on US soil, or born on foriegn soil of US parents, then he/she is a citizen (of course it isn't always as simple as that). So, by that standars if someone born on Mars had parents who were US citizens then he/she wouldn't be that kind of Alien. Although such a person might be called an alien on Mars. :P

Jack Higgins
2004-Jan-17, 10:12 PM
They wouldn't be aliens. if they came from human reproduction/DNA, they're humans! They would never be "aliens" because of this, but over thousands of years, if one isolated group of humans evolved sufficiently differently so they weren't able to reproduce with "normal" humans, they'd be a different species. That's how it's worked out in nature currently, isn't it...?

beck0311
2004-Jan-17, 10:28 PM
They wouldn't be aliens. if they came from human reproduction/DNA, they're humans! They would never be "aliens" because of this, but over thousands of years, if one isolated group of humans evolved sufficiently differently so they weren't able to reproduce with "normal" humans, they'd be a different species. That's how it's worked out in nature currently, isn't it...?

Actually my point was just that people would call the "Martians" aliens just because that seems to be what humans do-single out groups of people who are different in appearance (or watever). The question was whether or not these Space Children would be classified as "Aliens" and my suggestion is that they will probably be referred to in some term that will have negative connotations.

As I stated in my post I am not clear on the mechanism of evlution, but if two versions of humans evolve over many centuries in totally different environments, would the DNA be the same?

(Note to self: learn more about biology)

Jack Higgins
2004-Jan-17, 11:01 PM
beck,

I can't remember reading your post... I must have missed it!

Good point though- while "technically" they're not aliens, we might consider them to be. Sort of like... the way there have been babies born on Antarctica- while "technically" they'd be Antarcticans, we don't consider them so because theyre normal babies. Thats the opposite way round though...

As I stated in my post I am not clear on the mechanism of evlution, but if two versions of humans evolve over many centuries in totally different environments, would the DNA be the same?
No, because any change in the physical makeup of the person is controlled by the DNA. Evolution would be controlled by outside influences, like, say, gravity, sunlight intensity etc.

How evolution works (http://science.howstuffworks.com/evolution.htm)