PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday DooM!

Mr. X
2003-Dec-10, 06:04 PM
It is a great day today.

First it is the day of my 1000th post here. :D

And my 1000th post happens to be on the day of DooM's 10th ANNIVERSARY!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOOM!

I will definitely play some DooM today.

I have to say it wasn't a coincidence, as I waited for this day to make this post 1000.

So I am starting this thread to commemorate DooM's tenth, and for you to outline good experiences of DooM, how times have changed, etc. etc.

Have fun!

constible
2003-Dec-10, 06:15 PM
I use to spend hours playing doom with my good friend. We'd also spend hours creating our own deathmaps and what not. Ahhhhh......those were the good old days. Little homework, lots of free time, lots of mayhem.

Rocket launcher is the greatest weapon out of any game I've ever played and the shotgun had the most realistic sound out of any game I've played.

I can't wait for Doom 3.

tuffel999
2003-Dec-10, 06:44 PM
I still have tons of custom doom and quake maps on old computers around the house. Ahh those early days of multiplayer shooters..........sigh.............

semi-sentient
2003-Dec-10, 07:05 PM
Doom 3 looks awesome so far. I'm looking very forward to that being "publically" released. :P Additionally, Tool, who happens to be my favorite band, is supposedly doing some original music for Doom 3! Sweet!

Happy B-Day!

Humphrey
2003-Dec-10, 07:46 PM
Mr. X: if you want they released both Doom I and Doom II for the game boy advanced/ They are exact ports. Right down to the sounds and graphics.

I remeber playing doom on my computer and being scared out of my mind by some of the monsters and being attacked from all directions. I remeber putting in the god code just so i can lower the stress. Man have my expextations raised since then.

I also remeber haveing someone take this on a floppy and loading it onto all computers in our school's computer lab. We then played deathmatch. (wait or was that Quake?)

Normandy6644
2003-Dec-10, 07:58 PM
The one thing that always amazed me about Doom was that people could beat it WITHOUT using the cheat codes. I mean to me, it was hard enough WITH them. Some people are just really good I suppose. :D

Humphrey
2003-Dec-10, 08:07 PM
I have never seen someone beat it without codes. I swear that the first doom was the only game to ever been made where it was impossible to beat without cheats.

Mr. X
2003-Dec-10, 11:45 PM
Humphrey, Normandy:

I have beaten DooM and DooM II without codes about two times over each last year on every difficulty setting, including the new, extra fourth episode of DooM called Thy flesh consumed.

:) :D

Sever
2003-Dec-11, 12:00 AM
Doom was the first FPS I ever played, it was given to me by my first grade/second grade teacher (bless her).

tuffel999
2003-Dec-11, 02:08 AM
Humphrey, Normandy:

I have beaten DooM and DooM II without codes about two times over each last year on every difficulty setting, including the new, extra fourth episode of DooM called Thy flesh consumed.

:) :D

Beat everything DOOM related without codes and then went back and tried to o it just with a chainsaw(that didn't work so well). Still have DOOM 95 loaded on my PC.

Reacher
2003-Dec-11, 02:29 AM
I must say that the ads for Doom 3 look... er... Scary, to tell you the truth. Freak me out!
That bit with the baddie with the chainsaw, that just gave me a bad case of the freak-outs, though it was pretty cool. Have you all seen that bit on the trailer, or do I get to explain it? :)

Madcat
2003-Dec-11, 02:39 AM
Your teacher was pretty cool. 8)

Sever
2003-Dec-11, 03:55 AM
Yes she was, she retired this year sadly. :cry:

Humphrey
2003-Dec-11, 05:29 AM
well Mr. X and tuffel999:
I bow down to you and give you both the G'topia medal of honour. You both deserve it. I am proud of my finger twitching skills, but it is evident yours are superior to mine.

Mr. X
2003-Dec-11, 06:36 AM
I played against Dennis "Thresh" Fong (Absolute Quake champion) a few games of Quake 3 and against "Kornelia" (female Quake world champion) the Quake remake for Half-Life. :D

tuffel999
2003-Dec-11, 05:42 PM
well Mr. X and tuffel999:
I bow down to you and give you both the G'topia medal of honour. You both deserve it. I am proud of my finger twitching skills, but it is evident yours are superior to mine.

You would never believe how fast a lot of caffeine will make you at 3 AM :o

Or how bug eyed :o

Dr_Von_Loon
2003-Dec-11, 08:39 PM
OMG!! Happy Birthday Doom!! =D> I STILL make graphics
mod files with Wintex for that game! My most recent two are
"They Came From Planet X" and "They Keep Coming From Planet X"

They run with the Zdoom frontend for Windows perfectly.

Anyone interested in Zdoom should check out,

http://www.zdoom.notgod.com

And for Doom internet gaming go to....

http://www.zdaemon.org

Doom Lives!! Doom Rules!! 8)