PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning Of Life

SAMU
2003-Nov-23, 07:44 AM
Pick the choice which best reflects your feelings regarding the meaning of life.

No meaning: Life and existance has no meaning.

Individual self meaning: Life means what the individual makes it mean.

Group meaning: Life means what we in groups of 10% or more of the total population make it mean.

Beyond comprehension: Life has meaning but we are all only a link in a plan that is beyond our comprehension.

Invader Spleen
2003-Nov-23, 08:38 AM
I think we make our own meaning out of it

It only has meaning to us because we know that we are alive and are conciouse of that fact, i wouldnt think that life has a meaning to a non-sentient lifeform

Argos
2003-Nov-23, 03:29 PM
Life persists amidst the chaos, from which it stems. It has no meaning in itself. Itīs governed by insensitive, random and inexorable forces. But one can establish a private dome of order and organize his/her experience of life so that it gains a meaning, though individual and arbitrary.

My answer: Life, or reality itself, if you will, has no meaning.

Eroica
2003-Nov-23, 05:27 PM
I voted for number four. Until we know what consciousness is, I don't think we can draw any definite conclusions about the meaning of life.

Archer17
2003-Nov-23, 06:30 PM
Voted for #2 - My life has meaning, but it's unique to myself.

Ikyoto
2003-Nov-23, 06:34 PM
Very simple - Meaning of life: you're not dead yet.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-23, 07:02 PM
I voted personal since we all percieve the universe based on our own experiences. But then again that could be weened out to be social too since our perceptions are goverened by the culture.

But it is more than common knoledge that the real meaning of life is Matzo ball soup. :-P

[usual]

Jack Higgins
2003-Nov-23, 07:27 PM
Well, it's got to be 42 really, hasn't it?! :D

Nah.. It has a different meaning for everyone- it's whatever you make it/want it to be really.

space cadet
2003-Nov-23, 07:38 PM
I think that we're here to be tested. How we choose to treat each other, and ourselves will make all the difference in what happens to us after we die.

I don't understand how someone could say that life originated from pure chaos. I think that everything works out too perfectly to have just happened by chance.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-23, 08:14 PM
I said number 4 because it's the easy way out...

frenat
2003-Nov-23, 09:50 PM
I'm with Jack, it should be 42. :D

Dark Helmet
2003-Nov-23, 10:05 PM
hmmmm... 42.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-23, 10:06 PM
its not 42. Its 4. The computer got it wrong.

Everyone knows the answer to everything is the number 4.

Jack Higgins
2003-Nov-23, 10:58 PM
The computer got it wrong

Well then maybe it was...

:D

Cougar
2003-Nov-24, 01:03 AM
Pick the choice which best reflects your feelings regarding the meaning of life.
What about if there IS a meaning to life? You don't offer a choice for this possibility.

I think Howard Kaye came pretty close, though he might have been being sarcastic. After the 1953 Watson and Crick elucidation of the structure of the DNA molecule,

"Who are we? Why are we here? and What is the purpose of life" now appeared to follow immediately and scientifically: we are six feet of a particular molecular sequence of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorous atoms... we are here because we have evolved from simple chemical compounds by a process of natural selection... the aim, purpose, and 'logic of life' is simply reproduction..."

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-24, 03:01 AM
But it is more than common knoledge that the real meaning of life is Matzo ball soup. :-P

[usual]

Well, in that case do you have a good recipe for Matzo ball soup? Just so that the rest of us can enjoy the meaning of life.

SAMU
2003-Nov-24, 03:33 AM
What about if there IS a meaning to life? You don't offer a choice for this possibility.

Yes I do.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-24, 04:47 AM

[usual]

Well, in that case do you have a good recipe for Matzo ball soup? Just so that the rest of us can enjoy the meaning of life.

Nope. I just make the ones that come from the box. Not that bad. :-)

mike alexander
2003-Nov-24, 05:13 AM
Matzoh meal kneaded with chicken fat, a little salt. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

Set aside a small portion and mix with cinnamon.

Make a small ball of the cinnamon-containing matzoh meal, about an inch across. Coat with the uncinnamoned meal, total diameter about two inches.

Make a broth by simmering a whole cut-up chicken with carrots, celery tops, a few slices of fresh ginger root, salt to taste (not too much). Best if simmered overnight. You can use water or half and half water/canned chicken broth.

Strain broth. Discard vegetables, skim most of the fat (but not all), save meat for picking off bones (Mmmm).

Bring broth to a gentle boil. Immerse matzoh balls and boil until done, about half an hour.

Serve matzoh balls in broth. Pick up spoon and prepare for ecstacy.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-24, 06:30 AM
Dang you mike. Now i want some. :-P

Reacher
2003-Nov-24, 07:12 AM
I read in New Scientist some theory that life's purpose is to transfer energy. Like how when you have some oil in apan, and you;re heating it, the bottom layer of oil is hotter than the top, so heat radiates upwards. Turn up the heat, and these convection pillars form, where heat is transferred far more efficiently. Life was likened to the pillars, existing to convey (Or expend? Can't remember) energy more eficiently, to balance out somethingorother.
Though this thread is less about such things, and more about some psychological meaning of life, that you use to justify everything you do, isn't it?

mike alexander
2003-Nov-24, 06:02 PM
I could honestly vote for the first three, since 1 and 4 are incompatible.

While I personally don't think that life has any preordained meaning beyond the strong evidence of its existence, as individuals we can decide what meaning to give it. So, meaning is not 'self-evident', but rather defined. Saying that, I don't see how any of us can completely escape the meanings given by the broader society we live in.

mutant
2003-Nov-24, 11:33 PM
Life is a breakfast cereal. And the box is empty. Uh oh.

Gmann
2003-Nov-25, 03:42 PM
Oh sure, blame Mikey for everything, next thing you know he's going to build an amusment park in his backyard. "F" is the secret to life, if it wern't for the "F", life would be a lie.

xbck1
2003-Nov-25, 04:11 PM
The real meaning of life is to loaf about the house in a Thanksgiving-food-induced near-comatose state and occasionally play video games.

Of course, if this were the Matrix thread, Mr. X might have something to add. Hmm... :-s

I hav goood speelig. Ya.

gethen
2003-Nov-25, 04:15 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute. It's supposed to have a meaning? Why wasn't I informed of this?

Swift
2003-Nov-25, 05:01 PM
Set aside a small portion and mix with cinnamon.
Cinnamon! That's not how my grandma made it.

All cooking arguments ultimately end up at "Well that's not how my mom (grandma) did it."

xbck1
2003-Nov-25, 07:58 PM
My grandma can't cook worth beans. My mom, on the other hand... :D

mike alexander
2003-Nov-26, 01:36 AM
Recipe is from my wife's grandmother. Perhaps that's how they made 'em in Lithuania. My recipes are from my grandmother, via Buda-Pesht. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a secret ingerdient or two she isn't telling me about.

It's the layered idea that's pretty cool; cut one open and it's like the earth's core.

I would also mention that a true matzoh ball should have the density of a cannon ball. Just as a true bagel should cut the insides of your mouth, so hard the crust is.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-30, 11:26 PM
M..... bagels. I wisdh we could get a decent supply here. All we have are chesepeak and einstein brothers. No real good local bakeries. :-(

mike alexander
2003-Dec-01, 06:17 PM
Bagels. Forget about it. I doubt there's a good one within 2500 miles of Oregon. Blueberry-nut-whole-wheat swirl... Bleah :-?

Oh, for a NYBagel, lightly toasted, with a thick schmear.

Humphrey
2003-Dec-01, 07:07 PM
There are some great ones where i used to live in Toronto. This one place was great. They made some giant sized bagles what were at least 3x the size of a regular bagel. Pure heaven.

Normandy6644
2003-Dec-01, 08:07 PM
I've been kind of partial to chocoloate chip bagels. Heat it up and spread some peanut butter on there, you don't have a breakfast, you have an icon.