PDA

View Full Version : I am Disturbed...:)

astromark
2009-Jan-12, 06:45 AM
As is often the case with television... It can be very annoying.
On this occasion its a beef with the 'Discovery Chanel' Through the 'Sky' network we have ( i have ) just watched the Doco about the Earth being slammed by a big comet. ( I should have turned it off ) Generally there was some bits that could be true. A reasonable depiction of events after a massive impact event were sort of well done... They had a group of seemingly well educated people reporting of what might be... It would frighten any young uninformed child to a point of nightmares and sleepless nights for weeks after. The whole thing was a mix of documentary and fiction story. The issue I have with this is that its fear mongering. The end of the program arrived and it looked like Armageddon on steroids. Glum, very depressing and most dire. Yes this Earth has been struck in the past and could be on for another massive life ending smack in the head. The point I did not see, and want spread is...
In order for a object to be a life ending cataclysmic impactor it must have energy enough to do so. It must be large heavy and fast. If it were any or all of these things we would know of it decades out. If a object already inside the orbit of Jupiter were to be disturbed so as to be a potential impactor... we would know of it years away., and even longer for a exo solar object. We know that 70 km per sec. is quick. But the solar system is big and many, yes many. people are looking for just this sort of thing. Pleased to announce that no such object has yet been spotted. The beef with the makers of this rubbish are the target of my displeasure, but no I will not complain directly because at the very core of this thing some reality of our tentative grip of life is true. and I do have a evil streak that secretly enjoys frightening children. I just think they 'the discovery Chanel' should or could have been a little more soft. gentle., and honest.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jan-12, 02:13 PM
If it's fast and dark then we might not see it.

geonuc
2009-Jan-12, 02:44 PM
The BA has a chapter on this in his new book. Yeah, as AP says, if it's not bright, as an asteroid might not be, it could sneak up on us. We'd need a pretty good lead time to deflect it.

Fazor
2009-Jan-12, 03:02 PM
Speaking of the Fearmongery channel, Nostodamus 2012 was on last night. No, I did not watch it.

My g/f saw it on the channel guide and said, "Oh, there's that Nostrodamus show. Didn't you want to watch it?" ... I guess she mistook my half scoff half barf sound I made every time a commercial came on as interest.

astromark
2009-Jan-12, 06:20 PM
Mark makes a mental note to avoid that program as well...having already seen the promo's, thankyou...

Should it be a mandatory requirement to clearly state the work is fiction above fact. After all we insist on clear food ingredients on packaging... sounds reasonable to me.

Fazor
2009-Jan-12, 06:34 PM
I'll second that. I think that's what bugs me the most; not that they're showing this stuff, but that they're showing it as if there's even a shred of credibility to it.

Jim
2009-Jan-12, 09:58 PM
Speaking of the Fearmongery channel, Nostodamus 2012 was on last night. ...

Being discussed here:
http://www.bautforum.com/small-media-large/83457-discovery-chan-nostradamus-2012-a.html

Fazor
2009-Jan-12, 10:26 PM
I feel the compulsive need to point out that that thread didn't exist at the time of my post. :)

Jim
2009-Jan-13, 01:40 PM
What? You didn't forsee it??

sarongsong
2009-Jan-14, 09:59 PM
...the Doco about the Earth being slammed by a big comet...Link?

publiusr
2009-Jan-16, 08:32 PM
I don't have that link, but here are some others that might be of interest
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129368&page=11

http://www.physorg.com/news147532554.html

sarongsong
2009-Jan-17, 07:09 AM
Those are nice links, but astromark is bemoaning a specific Discovery Channel portrayal
...about the Earth being slammed by a big comet...with nary even a title.