PDA

View Full Version : Your current weather?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Buttercup
2008-Dec-18, 06:45 PM
It's cool in my area [despite it being December, I reside in a warm climate] and breezy, with huge bars of white and sooty-gray clouds pushing through. Gorgeous. :) Hope we get some rain.

You?

I'm a weather watcher, would like to know about your weather.

Gillianren
2008-Dec-18, 07:04 PM
It's probably about 30 F. It's not actually snowing right now, but we've probably got about three inches on the ground and more to come.

mahesh
2008-Dec-18, 07:06 PM
overcast london, just now.
has been clear and beautiful last few days though.

Lullie, my daawg, she likes it, when it's not raining so much. she oscillates her southern hemisphere more often then.

jokergirl
2008-Dec-18, 07:41 PM
Cold, windy and probably drizzling.
No snow. Grr. I love being close to the sea but you get the suckiest winter weather...

;)

Fazor
2008-Dec-18, 07:43 PM
30 degrees (F); very overcast. No percipitation. Muddy ground from prior rain. Suppose to rain tonight, whilst continuing to be cold. I hate Ohio winters.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-18, 07:49 PM
In Peters Creek, Alaska...

Current temp: 19F
Skies: Broken 7500', Overcast 9000'
Precip: 50% chance of snow showers
Wind: SSW 2 mph
Max. Humidity: 87%

Begin astronomical twilight...07:16
Begin civil twilight..........09:10
Sunrise.......................10:13
Sunset........................15:37
End civil twilight............16:40
End astronomical twilight.....18:34

Today's daylight hours: 5:24

Salty
2008-Dec-18, 08:05 PM
Hi, Buttercup,

Weather here is overcast skies, high humidity, cool and SE breeze about 10mph (16kph). It was real foggy last night and this morning.

Basically our weather depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Argos
2008-Dec-18, 08:11 PM
Yep, way cooler than expected for this time of year. Right now [6 pm local time] it is 22C (~70F). Weve had lows of 15C this week. Nice.

chrissy
2008-Dec-18, 08:38 PM
This week has been a lot better than the last two weeks, the snow has finally gone, it is icy in parts and this evening it started to rain, the wind has got up and the weather reports severe gale warnings, my car nearly got blown off the road this afternoon due to the strong wind.
The temp outside at the moment is : L3 H8, cold all the same. :(

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 08:54 PM
46 degrees, Raining, and a slight breeze :)

redshifter
2008-Dec-18, 09:51 PM
29 degress, heavy snow here. Of course, most of the Seattle metro area is completely paralyzed...

mike alexander
2008-Dec-18, 09:54 PM
Broken clouds, temperature starting to drop below freezing. Possible light snow tonight, then another biggish rain/ice/snow storm Sat/Sun.

Jigsaw
2008-Dec-18, 10:03 PM
About an inch of snow on the ground, the weatherman (who has been wrong before) is calling for freezing rain. On weather.com, we show as just above the band of pink freezing rain down in southern Illinois; we're keeping our fingers crossed that it stays in Carbondale :p , and that the bigger pink blob currently over Iowa stays on their side of the Mississippi.

Still, I went out and bought a gallon of milk this morning, and checked the freezer--if we have a full-tilt-boogie ice storm and the power goes out, stuff stays frozen longer if it's full.

Yup. It's full.

Two years ago, during the Great Ice Storm of '06, our power was out for 10 days. I still have a tote full of candles down in the basement.

Bring it on.

orionjim
2008-Dec-18, 10:08 PM
25 deg. with 8 to 10 inches of snow due tonight.

Jim

Graybeard6
2008-Dec-18, 10:11 PM
I'm sorry, but:

Satellite Beach, FL
5:00 PM conditions
Temp: 69 F, cloudy
Wind: ENE @ 7 mph
Visibility: 7 miles
Low tonight: 63 F, clear
Tomorrow: 76 F, clear

NickW
2008-Dec-18, 10:18 PM
Florida sounds nice :)

chrissy
2008-Dec-18, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry, but:

Satellite Beach, FL
5:00 PM conditions
Temp: 69 F, cloudy
Wind: ENE @ 7 mph
Visibility: 7 miles
Low tonight: 63 F, clear
Tomorrow: 76 F, clear

Got a spare room? :D

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-19, 12:27 AM
It's the first clear night in days and I just got back from looking at Orion. Snow's expected for tomorrow.

timb
2008-Dec-19, 12:47 AM
About 35 C, rain predicted. Sucks.

Tinaa
2008-Dec-19, 01:13 AM
Mostly Cloudy
Temperture:66
Feels Like: 66
Barometer: 30.03 in and rising
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 3 mi
Dewpoint: 66
Wind: VAR 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:21 am
Sunset: 5:36 pm

closetgeek
2008-Dec-19, 03:33 AM
Tomorrow, high of 79/ low of 58.

Gemini
2008-Dec-19, 04:12 AM
We've got fog so thick you can cut it with a knife!

man on the moon
2008-Dec-19, 05:19 AM
I left Coastal California to beat one storm and got caught in another. Since I am traveling I will just say...well, I'll try not to hijack this thread so I'll start one with the story elsewhere. How the weather relates though, is this:

I beat the storm that came in off the coast and snowed the Sierras in. I got across the pass just as it started raining.

I got to central Nevada just as...we'll say this: By the time I got to Laramie, WY about 1,000 miles (1600 km) later, 400 miles were spent in driving snow, another 400 in high wind gusts (60mph/100km), and enough ice to make big bad truck drivers admit to peeing their pants. And then my heater went out...(I'm now in Michigan)

This is the same storm that snowed in Seattle and Vegas and set record lows in several places.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-19, 05:43 AM
In the teens F and starting to snow. We're expected to get a foot or more. Luckily, most of the sleet and freezing rain is staying south of us. May be bad for Jigsaw.

Jay200MPH
2008-Dec-19, 11:02 AM
It's about 2 and raining here. Why did I come back from Indonesia again?

BTW all, I can't read your bizarro American degrees. See, this is why NASA keeps losing spacecraft. Quit yammerin' nonsense.

- J

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-19, 11:32 AM
It's about 2 and raining here. Why did I come back from Indonesia again?

BTW all, I can't read your bizarro American degrees. See, this is why NASA keeps losing spacecraft. Quit yammerin' nonsense.

- J

What, ya want us to go metric, Mister Miles Per Hour?
:-)

Jay200MPH
2008-Dec-19, 11:49 AM
I like miles just fine because they start at zero like any sensible unit. The process of subtracting 32 from the temperature to get the actual temperature, however, is beyond all rationality. :razz:

- J

Ivan Viehoff
2008-Dec-19, 12:18 PM
In this curious country of the UK, petrol is sold in litres, but roads are measured in miles. Ideally fuel consumption should be published in miles per litre, but it always given as either mile per (uk) gallon or litres per 100km. The facts of the measuring devices availablt to me mean that I find it hard to take much in knowing how many litres of petrol (well diesel really) my car needs to go 62.15 miles, nor how many miles I can go on 4.5 litres.

Whilst we do seem to be stuck with miles in this country, I do wish we'd go the whole way given that everything else (apart from glasses of beer aside) is in metres, kg and litres.

The US's stickiness for measuring temps in Frankenstein and selling hog bellies in bushels and the like is remarkably short-sighted. The rest of the world is watching, and laughing, so do us the favour of providing a translation. After all, you need to understand the international method whenever you go abroad, or send space ships to Mars, so you ought to be good at the translation. And even when you do do metric, you often do it in cgs which is not SI (systeme internationale) and that gives you obscure units like dynes and ergs. 1 unit (kWh) of electricity, which costs about GBP0.10, is 360000000000000 ergs, isn't that convenient.

Meanwhile, we have a nice sunny day in London. It's 7C, which is much more like normal for December than the cold weather we had the last two or three weeks when it has barely crept above 4C. Tomorrow the forecast is for 13C and sunny intervals. I might have to abandon this Icelandic jumper I've been wearing the last three weeks. That's unusual, because more normally when the temp is in the mid-teens in midwinter in London, it's because we have weather system coming in from the SW off the Atlantic and it's wet and windy. In fact whenever we have such a weather system coming in from the SW, the temp is usually in the mid-teens summer or winter.

Torsten
2008-Dec-19, 03:54 PM
-35C, clear, light breeze. Supposed to warm up to -24C today.

I think I'll work indoors today.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-19, 04:04 PM
This morning the temp is a bit under the freezing point of water. Woke up to an overnight snow, looks like about 6", the whole place is covered. Winter wonderland.

That's before trying to get to work.

Doodler
2008-Dec-19, 04:10 PM
According to my iPod, its 39 and overcast. According to my soggy shoes, its rainy and a shade cooler than that.

In a word: Miserable...

djustdee
2008-Dec-19, 04:34 PM
Heya,

Unseasonably warm would be a good description. Its December 19 and the temperature is a balmy 61 degrees in Kingsport, Tennessee.

Dee

Trebuchet
2008-Dec-19, 04:47 PM
I like miles just fine because they start at zero like any sensible unit. The process of subtracting 32 from the temperature to get the actual temperature, however, is beyond all rationality. :razz:

- J

Well then, if you want the actual temperature, you'd better add 273.15 to the one you're apparently using! Unless it's really, really cold there.

Seriously, I'm all for the USA converting to metric but I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. (I'm 60.) I do tend to prefer Fahrenheit temperatures for everyday ambient use, however, because the range of 0-100 so nicely approximates the typical range of ambients in the temperate portions of the globe. Degrees C somehow seem a little coarse.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-19, 07:13 PM
The US's stickiness for measuring temps in Frankenstein and selling hog bellies in bushels and the like is remarkably short-sighted.

This, from the land of Pounds Sterling, pence, quid, bob, farthings, and stones. :D

Seriously, I really do wish we'd go metric. I've always thought the system is simpler, more logical, and practical. I had no problems living in metric while stationed in Germany. But until we do convert, I'll continue to operate in Fahrenheit degrees, inches, feet, miles, and gallons for day-to-day usage. Far better for the occasional person like you to do a little math, than for me to constantly explain to everyone else I deal with what I really mean with those numbers.

I do have some concerns about coverting though. For instance, when I go to the home improvement center, will I still be able to call it a 2x4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_lumber#Dimensional_lumber)? "Thirty-eight-by-eighty-nine" just doesn't roll of the tongue as nicely. ;)

orionjim
2008-Dec-19, 07:33 PM
-35C, clear, light breeze. Supposed to warm up to -24C today.

I think I'll work indoors today.

Ahhh, finally I can say it's a balmy -4c here.

We only got about 30cm of snow this morning.

Jim

Trebuchet
2008-Dec-19, 07:40 PM
I do have some concerns about converting though. For instance, when I go to the home improvement center, will I still be able to call it a 2x4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_lumber#Dimensional_lumber)? "Thirty-eight-by-eighty-nine" just doesn't roll of the tongue as nicely. ;)

I don't see why you wouldn't just keep calling it a 2x4. As your metric units and link show, it's not 2 inches by 4 inches anyhow. Not going to change soon anyway.

KaiYeves
2008-Dec-19, 08:25 PM
We got out of school early because of snow for the first time in three years! And now we've got the most beautiful flurry going on outside.

Torsten
2008-Dec-19, 08:49 PM
Ahhh, finally I can say it's a balmy -4c here.

We only got about 30cm of snow this morning.

Yeah, it's up to -28 now. It's also supposed to cool off a bit over the weekend. . .

I don't see why you wouldn't just keep calling it a 2x4. As your metric units and link show, it's not 2 inches by 4 inches anyhow. Not going to change soon anyway.

Yep, they're still called 2x4 here, though our building code refers to 38mm x 89mm. Wall studs are placed at 16" centres, though the code refers to 400 mm. And so on.

The woodlands side of our lumber operations operate strictly metric, but once the logs are in the mill, everything changes to feet and inches. And thus we calculate our lumber recovery factor as fbm/m3.

Tinaa
2008-Dec-20, 12:47 AM
It is balmy 72 F. We have the a/c on.

filrabat
2008-Dec-20, 02:22 AM
It is balmy 72 F. We have the a/c on.

It's supposed to be that way tomorrow too..until a strong cold front comes through Dallas between 3 and 6 pm...then we'll get subfreezing temps...only 29 F (-2) for a high on Sunday. Thing is, 2 and 3 days ago, we had freezing rain for 2 days. Then Fog and mildly cool yesterday. Ohhh, this is really ping-ponging all over the place - with more to come for next week!

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-20, 09:06 AM
Well, we were supposed to get 8-12 inches yesterday morning, but we ended up getting less than half that because sleet and freezing rain deposited half the precipitation in denser forms.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-20, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the input so far! :) Short daytime in Alaska, I "see" [have known this of course]. Not sure I could deal with that. :( Chrissy, I'm glad you're safe from those nasty winds. Tinaa, 72 is a touch *cool* to we desert dwellers. Currently we're "cold" [38 F] and overcast. Hopefully rain is in the works. We've had lots of wind lately; it and fog [extremely rare here] are two forms of weather I could do without.

mahesh
2008-Dec-20, 01:51 PM
....Bring it on.
ssshhh jigsaw....i wouldn't let the gift horse in the house...
have a nice day

buttercup....to be honest, as long as the weather is great for a good game of cricket...wherever it is being played, that's just great with me.
it can rain or whatever on the whole of the rest of the planet, including over me, i am ok with that.

ok the second thing...clear skies at night some times...

jrkeller
2008-Dec-20, 01:59 PM
In Houston, it has been overcast and humid for about a week, with lots of drizzle. The fog has been terrible. It has been like living in a cloud for a week. Supposedly, a front will pass through tonight and bring clear skies.

Temps have been in the 55-75F range.

Torsten
2008-Dec-20, 05:24 PM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/TKphotofolder/BAUT/-38C.jpg

bunker9603
2008-Dec-20, 05:29 PM
Yesterday it was a partly sunny day and 65 degrees. Today it is cloudy and 29 degrees.

orionjim
2008-Dec-20, 07:13 PM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/TKphotofolder/BAUT/-38C.jpg

:eek: yikes...

Is that -40C or -40F :confused:

Gillianren
2008-Dec-21, 02:39 AM
Yes.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-21, 04:01 AM
Still snowing here in the Willammette valley. I estimate about 14" of snow out there right now.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-21, 06:31 AM
:eek: yikes...

If that -40C or -40F :confused:

That's there C and F meet.

May be there shortly with windchills. Gonna be -1 tonight with blizzard conditions. Lots of wind will make windchill -25 to -30 or worse.

Chuck
2008-Dec-21, 03:21 PM
It's so cold in Phoenix, Arizona that I'm going to have to wear a sweater when I go bicycling this morning. I probably won't need it later in the day.

orionjim
2008-Dec-21, 05:19 PM
Still snowing here in the Willammette valley. I estimate about 14" of snow out there right now.

I would of told him I would prefer a snowblower.

orionjim
2008-Dec-21, 05:28 PM
It's so cold in Phoenix, Arizona that I'm going to have to wear a sweater when I go bicycling this morning. I probably won't need it later in the day.

Me too, on my KTrak conversion kit.

Jim

Gillianren
2008-Dec-21, 05:31 PM
Looks to me like my Yule party is pretty much canceled. We've got about a foot, too.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-21, 10:38 PM
A balmy (87%) 46 deg F day, with towering cumulus dark (midnight).

Euniculus
2008-Dec-21, 10:43 PM
The weather in Atlanta can't make up its mind. The past few days have been in the 60s with balmy nights. Today was cold and tonight the temp will be in the 20s. :confused:

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-22, 04:00 AM
In my place , the weather is always summer .

Lowest is at 20deg celsius and highest is at 32degrees celsius today.

Trebuchet
2008-Dec-24, 12:19 AM
Holding at just above freezing here in the Great North-icy. We're about 11 days into a snow event, longer than I remember in 40 years of living here. We are NOT accustomed to this! A week ago, we were predicted to be in the 40's (F) this week. Now there's more snow predicted tonight.

Too bad about the Yule party, Gillian. We were to have my wife's family here tomorrow and visit my folks on the 25th. Don't know if either will happen.

Tinaa
2008-Dec-24, 12:33 AM
They are predicting temps in the 70s tomorrow! It has been cold the last few days with temps in the 30s and 40s. Brrr.

Remember this is South Texas.

TheHalcyonYear
2008-Dec-24, 12:44 AM
San Francisco, cloudy and in the 50's.
Suppose to drop down into the 40's again tonight!! brrrrrrr...

Buttercup
2008-Dec-24, 12:46 AM
It has been windy, windy, windy here today. :( Hate the wind. Gusts probably to 50 mph. Makes it feel colder too, of course.

ravens_cry
2008-Dec-24, 12:54 AM
We have this white stuff, falling from the sky, and it's piling up. When we try to hold it, it turns into water, and it's cold. We have over a foot, and well, it's not going away. Does anyone know what this is? HELP!

TheHalcyonYear
2008-Dec-24, 12:56 AM
We have this white stuff, falling from the sky, and it's piling up. When we try to hold it, it turns into water, and it's cold. We have over a foot, and well, it's not going away. Does anyone know what this is? HELP!
Yeah... that happens up in the mountains west of here too.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-24, 12:58 AM
We received less than an inch of snow today but about 3 more are in the forecast. We're looking at temps slightly above and below 0F on Christmas and the next day or two.

Tinaa
2008-Dec-24, 01:01 AM
Ya want head down here to thaw out for a couple of days?

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-24, 01:13 AM
We're getting about 4 inches today and maybe 4 more between tonight and tomorrow. The christmas should be dry, then we should get either snow, sleet, or freezing rain on Thursday night into Friday with a chance of flooding from heavy precipitation, melting snow/ice and from ice jams on the river.

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-24, 01:30 AM
Ya want head down here to thaw out for a couple of days?

Nah. My father lives in the Houston area and I lived there too as a child, as well as other parts of the Deep South. Y'all can keep the hot, sticky weather. Cold is simply the price we pay for our glorious summers, short as they are.

mike alexander
2008-Dec-24, 01:36 AM
Likewise, Trebuchet. Right now I'm waiting for a hired plow to clear our road out here in the valley. I measured 22" on the deck this afternoon, but that was compressed a bit. Probably 25-30" in three overlapping events starting last midweek. Haven't been out since Friday. One more snow overnight, could be another half foot.

The national forecasters really should stick their heads out the window occasionally. Nat Weth Serv has been predicting sleet/rain every day since Saturday. All snow.

I hope it warms up. Our roof pitch isn't really designed for that load.

pzkpfw
2008-Dec-24, 01:40 AM
Warm but rainy Christmas eve.

What's this "white Christmas thing"?

Chuck
2008-Dec-24, 01:53 AM
If I want a white Christmas I might be able to see snow on some distant mountains. I haven't actually touched snow since 1976.

Ara Pacis
2008-Dec-24, 02:04 AM
I haven't actually touched snow since 1976.

I never touched the stuff, myself, but I hear it was pretty popular in the 70s, though crank is more popular these days.

:-)

Alan G. Archer
2008-Dec-24, 04:03 AM
Plenty of snow here in Tualatin, Oregon. There's about 34 cm of the stuff on the roof of my car.

gzhpcu
2008-Dec-24, 05:03 AM
60 degrees F, sunny and just great here in sunny Lugano...:)

The Southern part of Switzerland is semitropical and not at all cold like the rest of the country...

John Jaksich
2008-Dec-24, 06:58 AM
About 40 degrees F, cloudy---expecting rain for next two days...

My location is N. Calif... the last time I saw and touched snow was the winter of 1976...one of our instructors in High School had us read a chapter from Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

That was cool.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Dec-24, 08:24 AM
No snow here, I'm actually planning on checking the garden1 to see what edibles are left, I'm hoping for potatoes and is fairly sure about the cabbages and leeks.

1) an hours travel from where I live during winter so it's been a while since I last checked.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-24, 01:04 PM
The Southern part of Switzerland is semitropical and not at all cold like the rest of the country...

Really? :) I didn't know that.

Hopefully no more WIND for us.....and no more snow for Seattle (I don't live there, but my work depends on their weather).

eric_marsh
2008-Dec-24, 01:35 PM
http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinpoint/us/tx/segler+lake/current460970.html

I own Segler Lake

Fazor
2008-Dec-24, 02:11 PM
*sigh*
Monday: Windy. Cold. High - 8 degrees F. Wind chill varried between -8 and -15 degrees.

Tuesday: Warmer. Temps in the mid 20's. 3:30pm, heavy sleet. 0.25" ice blanketting everything. Had to skate to my car after work. Mass traffic accidents. Continued percepitation, but by 5:30 had turned to rain due to raising temperatures.

This morning: Still raining; I don't think it ever stopped. Temps much warmer; high 30's or low 40's. I believe the projected high is in the upper 40's lower 50's but I don't watch the news. Mud and standing water everywhere.

...sometimes I just love central Ohio. This is not one of those times.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-24, 03:12 PM
0.25" ice blanketting everything. Had to skate to my car after work.

I grew up in the upper Midwest, know that weather. :( Ice storms are the worst, I'd rather have a blizzard. Yes, skating around; ugh. I was always terrified of walking on ice, once crawled across a sidewalk coated with ice like a sheet of glass (that smooth) to get something to my grandmother's apartment. There are things about the North I miss.....that's not one of them. :hand:

closetgeek
2008-Dec-24, 05:55 PM
This is the only time I complain that it isn't cold enough. Today Newtonmas Eve, it is 77 degrees outside so I am blasting the a/c so we can all wear longsleeves...hey I do what I can. Happy Holidays to all, what ever you celebrate!

princemyheart
2008-Dec-25, 11:52 AM
Beautiful sunny day in southern Australia! 26 degs Celcius.

mugaliens
2008-Dec-25, 11:57 AM
Currently 41 F here in Germany, but clear over the next three days, so the highs are expected to be around 0 C.

Whirlpool
2008-Dec-25, 05:12 PM
A Cool, Raining , Wet Christmas Day here .
Too lazy to check the temperature .<yawns>

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-27, 07:05 AM
We had the archetypal white Christmas at the house in Peters Creek. We already had several inches (~12-14) accumulation on the ground and it was snowing when we awoke. Over the next 24 hours, until this morning, we received another 6-7 inches . It was about 17F as I shoveled it off the deck and walk. Fortunately, it was dry, light, and fluffy.

Chunky
2008-Dec-27, 07:56 AM
69 F
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 64 F
Wind: 15 mph from the South
Pressure: 29.96 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16

feels soooo good outside.

Laguna
2008-Dec-27, 10:24 AM
Frankfurt/Germany -4C / 24.8F
Overcast with some small holes in the clouds

AGN Fuel
2008-Dec-27, 01:33 PM
buttercup....to be honest, as long as the weather is great for a good game of cricket...wherever it is being played, that's just great with me.

Check out the South Africa v Australia test on at the MCG at the moment. Great game of cricket and magnificent weather - the pitch looks a treat.

Warm & muggy here today - 31 degrees celsius but high humidity made things a little uncomfortable. Christmas day was beautiful - 25 degrees C and crystal clear blue skies. Perfect for our Christmas barbecue!

Buttercup
2008-Dec-27, 02:37 PM
This is the only time I complain that it isn't cold enough. Today Newtonmas Eve, it is 77 degrees outside so I am blasting the a/c so we can all wear longsleeves...hey I do what I can. Happy Holidays to all, what ever you celebrate!

I also live in a warm climate (originally from cold climate), and still can't quite get used to lawn lights/decorations with no sprinkling of snow.

Currently very cool (45 F) and sunny. Wish we'd get rain at least; sunny winters are not my thing. ;)

Gillianren
2008-Dec-27, 07:38 PM
Our snow's about to get washed away by a week of rain and temperatures in the 40s. At least, that's what they're telling us. I've been fooled by this storm before.

matt.o
2008-Dec-28, 10:52 AM
Check out the South Africa v Australia test on at the MCG at the moment. Great game of cricket and magnificent weather - the pitch looks a treat.

It was a great day for Tony Greig! I harbour great admiration for both Steyn and Duminy due to the way they batted - particularly Steyn who took many a hit to the body!

mahesh
2008-Dec-28, 12:57 PM
AGN / matt...yah i did...this is exquisite result for SA.
I hope it becomes a nail-biter, as it progresses. Duminy has played prominent role for SA at their 414 chase, too. And now this excellent 'steynd' with Steyn. :clap:

sorry buttercup, hijacking...

weather-wise, it's coooold and scandinavian-windy, cloudy...so no-can-see, shadow transit of Io and Europa on Jupiter ....anyway it's just ended......

Fazor
2009-Jan-15, 06:12 PM
It's slow so I'll kick this thread back up. Like much of the US, it's very cold here. Single digits, negative with wind chill (Fahrenheit of course). Only had about 2-3 inches of snow yesterday. Still 'spittin but not enough to really add to the accumulation. According to the weather report this morning, we'll get more over the weekend.

The cool thing is I have dozens of gnarly looking icicles hanging from the front of my car, giving it the appearance of a rabid animal. Mwahaha. :)

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jan-15, 06:17 PM
We're around freezing, a couple degrees above in the day, a couple below at night.
Not a lot of wind.

So far we've had about a week of real winter weather, the rest has been more like a coldish autumn.

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-15, 06:23 PM
After a record-breaking spell of sub-zero temperatures, we've not got Chinook winds and unseasonably warm weather. The roads are generally a slushy mess and are like glass in some areas. New rule: when the first snow falls, the temperature shall remain a constant 25F until it's time for spring break-up, no later than April 30th. Got it? Good. See to it.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jan-15, 06:26 PM
The last several days have been sunny and low 70s. The next few days will be sunny and low 70s. I LOVE a boring weather forecast. :)

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Jan-15, 06:31 PM
Today
Partly cloudy. Scattered flurries until midday. Nearly steady temperatures around zero. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Wind chill readings 15 below to 25 below zero.

Tonight
Clear. Lows around 11 below. West winds 5 to 15 mph. Wind chill readings 16 below to 26 below zero.

From a google gadget getting data from, I believe, weather underground. All temps in Fahrenheit. Current temp is 1 F.

Nick

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-15, 06:38 PM
CNN has a cliche out of Minnisota...
Video: Frozen banana hammer (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2009/01/15/kare.banana.hammer.cnn)

Although; I've never seen the frozen soap bubble before, and the instant freezing of the tossed cup of water was kind of neat too.

In Indiana there was another cliche...Boy Licks Metal Pole, Gets Tongue Stuck (http://www.newsnet5.com/health/18486571/detail.html)
I don't know if it was the visual, or the way it was written, but it was a story that "sticks" with you.

The Field Elementary School fourth-grader managed to mumble to police that a friend had dared him to lick the fixture.
"You'd think everybody in the country had seen 'A Christmas Story' by now," a police officer told The Times. "Remember what happened to Flick."

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jan-15, 06:47 PM
Minnisota...

Where is that? :)

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-15, 06:47 PM
Where is that? :)
Outside maxxisota. :lol:

ozzmosis
2009-Jan-15, 06:59 PM
hmmmm we at -36 c cold enough to frost bite your ears in say 15 mins...

Fazor
2009-Jan-15, 07:44 PM
Outside maxxisota. :lol:

Ah, good 'ol Maxxisota. We all know what they're most famous export is.

That's right.

Rubberbands.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jan-16, 05:47 AM
supposed to be about -30F (-34.4C) here, with windchills down to -43F (with light winds), it would have been around -70F to -80F on the old windchill scale.

BigDon
2009-Jan-16, 07:51 AM
Unseasonably warm and dry. Three inches below normal precepitation. Clear. Praying for rain. None foreseable for at least ten days. This is important as we have a dry and rainy season. It doesn't rain in the dry season except once or twice by accident. Right now there are salamanders looking up and going, well?

mfumbesi
2009-Jan-16, 10:32 AM
Cloudy warm with possibility of rain later (min:20 Deg Celsius max: 30 Deg Celsius).
Basically normal for this time of year.

Click Ticker
2009-Jan-16, 03:01 PM
We hit -8 F yesterday morning. Today we warmed up to 2 F. Highs around 10 F. We've got the great lakes warming things up for us, which is nice. It's a snow machine, but we aren't as cold as the two 'Sota's discussed above.

Fazor
2009-Jan-16, 03:03 PM
This morning it was -14 F here (without windchill). We seem to have no wind here, but head a few miles north towards Columbus and they're supposedly at -25 F with wind.

It's sunny and clear skys though, so I've decided instead of hating the cold, I'll just approach it like a make-believe trip to the Arctic. It's kinda fun. :)

Buttercup
2009-Jan-16, 04:50 PM
Sunny, sunny, sunny!

Weird. I'm only used to cloudy, rainy, semi-gloomy Januaries. Temp is probably 50 F.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-16, 04:52 PM
so I've decided instead of hating the cold, I'll just approach it like a make-believe trip to the Arctic. It's kinda fun. :)

My sister is "stuck" in Iowa, where it's been just as cold (low the other night was -25). She'd want to brain you for saying that, lol.

Fazor
2009-Jan-16, 04:55 PM
Lol; well can't change the weather (yet... MWAHAHA) so just have to find ways to deal with it.

When I get home, gotta see if my puppies will pull me around on a sled while I yell "Mush! MUSH!"

closetgeek
2009-Jan-16, 05:24 PM
Freezing here too, it's not even 60 degrees today. I can't wait for winter to be over!

megrfl
2009-Jan-20, 02:55 PM
Forecast for today in my neck of the woods. High 64 degrees F, Lo 32 F. It gets better, Wednesday high 57 F and lo 29 F. It's wonderful. :shifty:

megrfl
2009-Jan-20, 03:04 PM
Wind chill could feel like 25 F.

http://weather.msn.com/bulletin.aspx?wealocations=wc:USFL0316&q=Miami%2c+FL+forecast:bulletin

Trebuchet
2009-Jan-20, 03:04 PM
Been sunny here in The Great Northwet the past couple of days. When it isn't foggy, that is.

This being inauguration day, I'm reminded of the weather on one of Clinton's inauguration days. We had a severe windstorm that knocked out power for much of the region, three days worth at my house. We had to take the poor elderly cat and move into my mother-in-laws attic. She at least had heat.

Fazor
2009-Jan-20, 03:05 PM
It's mild here (what I consider mild for this time of year, anyway.) 20's F probably, though I haven't watched the news and don't have an outdoor thermometer. Blue skies. Little or no wind. Our snow from last thursday still covers the ground.

Now that it's out of the sub sub zero range, no complaints from me. I don't like cold weather, but since it's unavoidable here, this is the kind I can put up with best.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-20, 03:13 PM
Still sunny, sunny, sunny....aaargh. :( Very cool [45 F] and sunny. I hate sunny Januaries, want some cloud/gloom/rain!

Whirlpool
2009-Jan-21, 04:56 AM
Why do you like weather that Gloomy and Rainy ? :neutral:

Our Weather is sunny too , but cool at 23 C .

:dance:

captain swoop
2009-Jan-21, 09:34 AM
Clear sky, frost, sun not over the top of the hills yet (09.45) Snow on hills.

Tinaa
2009-Jan-21, 12:30 PM
Today we have a high of 74; Tomorrow's high 79.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-21, 12:53 PM
Why do you like weather that Gloomy and Rainy ? :neutral:

Hi Whirlpool. :) Because it's rare here (we live near El Paso, Tx). I'm from "up north" originally, so sunny Januaries are weird. Also, Januaries *here* did used to be overcast & rainy - the winter monsoon season. We've not had that the last 3 years out 4, just incessant sunshine. I can't accustom myself to it, as much as my sister would hate me for it! ;)

megrfl
2009-Jan-21, 01:03 PM
My hands are cold inside the house. :sad:

matt.o
2009-Jan-30, 08:21 AM
For the last three days, the maximum temperature here in Melbourne has been greater than 43 degrees Celsius!

RalofTyr
2009-Jan-30, 09:11 AM
Hot dry winds

Laguna
2009-Jan-30, 11:16 AM
Partly clouded, -1C.
Clear skies at night. -6C

R.A.F.
2009-Jan-30, 06:38 PM
Clear skies, sunny...70 degrees.

Fazor
2009-Jan-30, 06:44 PM
Hot dry winds
Taco Bell for dinner? ;)

It's sunny and low-mid 30's here, so all the snow and ice is melting. Which would be great, except it's suppose to get really cold tonight, meaning all the melting is going to turn to sheet-ice. Fun.

jrkeller
2009-Jan-30, 07:13 PM
Just to make everyone envious, the weather here in Houston (1/30/09 at 1:15pm Central Time) is,

61F
35% Humidity
Blue Skies
Very light wind 5mph

In fact, we've had pretty good and dry weather since hurricane IKE passed through in September.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-30, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by RalofTyr
Hot dry winds

Fazor: Taco Bell for dinner?

ROFL! :)

Rain? What's rain??

Sunny (again :( ), cool; perhaps 50 F.

chrissy
2009-Jan-31, 01:32 AM
We are due some severe weather on Sunday and Monday, snow, snow and even more snow, it is coming in from Russia.

We have had "severe weather warnings" out and it is going to be very cold too. :(

*time to baton down the hatches*

Graybeard6
2009-Jan-31, 08:10 AM
3:05 AM, EST. 50 degrees F, clear. High tomorrow 60 deg. F. Inland Florida is having a hard freeze, but the ocean makes temps a little milder.

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-01, 02:42 PM
Pretty mild here compared with much of the country. However, we still have snow on the ground where it was piled in December, six weeks ago. That's really unusual.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-01, 02:52 PM
It's snowing here!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9941/dscf0039rb8.th.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0039rb8.jpg)

A.DIM
2009-Feb-01, 02:56 PM
Many of you may know, some firsthand, that we here in WKY and others along the Ohio Valley were slammed with a severe ice storm Tuesday. Some 150,000 people without power still while only yesterday did temps get above freezing. Ours was restored yesterday, luckily.
I feel for those who're not prepared to deal with such emergency conditions...

Veeger
2009-Feb-01, 03:08 PM
We handle snow, wind, wind and snow; but the ice is the worse thing winter can throw at us. Its awful. Good luck to you folks down there.

chrissy
2009-Feb-01, 03:14 PM
It is snowing here it has been trying to all morning and now it is getting slightly heavier. The temp has dropped to -2 already and it is ony 15:14pm :(

A.DIM
2009-Feb-01, 03:16 PM
Thanks much.

We'd actually settled in for the several weeks predictions they announced at the outset. The kids considered it living "in the old the days" or camping inside; well, me too.
Unfortunately for many they're not capable of keeping their houses warm without power, or even cooking food. Alas... a painful lesson in disaster preparedness and self reliance.

ETA: Ooops, this was meant to follow Veeger's post.

Veeger
2009-Feb-01, 04:32 PM
Just prior to your ice storm, we had a major snow storm pass through Sunday - Monday. Perhaps that one was mainly rain for you in WKY. The remarkable thing was for several days in advance they were predicting it and 24 hours in advance they stated it would commence around 4:00PM and end around 4:00PM the following day. They were within a half hour of being dead-on in both predictions. The science of meteorology has made amazing progress in my opinion...and yet we still take it for granted.

btw - many of our secondary streets were still a mess; snow and ice covered. Thankfully, we will break the freezing mark today.

captain swoop
2009-Feb-01, 10:17 PM
Snowing hard at the moment.

A.DIM
2009-Feb-02, 04:14 PM
While sunny and melting, we're barely above freezing and expect some snowfall.
I've friends from Paducah & Bowling Green to Owensboro & Louisville without power still.
Damn.

parallaxicality
2009-Feb-02, 04:17 PM
I have the misfortune to live in London, where we've had all of six inches of snow, but enough to shut the city completely down. No road transport, no public transport. So unless something is within walking distance AND worth going out in blizzard conditions for, it seems best to stay in.

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 04:19 PM
six inches is 'blizzard conditions'? And I thought we were soft down here in Central Ohio! :)

Frog march
2009-Feb-02, 04:21 PM
snow.

I like snow.

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-02, 04:24 PM
six inches is 'blizzard conditions'? And I thought we were soft down here in Central Ohio! :)
Part of the problem is word usage.
A lot of people think "blizzard" equates to snowfall.

Officially, a blizzard can occur with no (current) snowfall. Its the cold and blowing that characterizes one.
http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/winter/blizzard.html

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 04:25 PM
Left my kitchen window open all night by accident, (fair weather in the daytime) and this morning it was so cold that my coffee mug split in two from top to bottom when I filled it!

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 04:28 PM
... and this morning it was so cold that my coffee mug split in two from top to bottom when I filled it!
Why do I get the suspicion that you're leaving out part about using it up-side the head of some deserving lowlife?

Perhapse it's because between your stories, and your name, I could picture you as the head of some Itallian "family business." :)

A.DIM
2009-Feb-02, 04:34 PM

My family is in NKY-Cincy and they were hit with snowfall and very little ice.
Snowfall, even blizzard conditions I can handle, but the ice, the ICE, seemed inches thick and wreaked havoc on my trees, let alone the power grid!

A.DIM
2009-Feb-02, 04:39 PM
Left my kitchen window open all night by accident, (fair weather in the daytime) and this morning it was so cold that my coffee mug split in two from top to bottom when I filled it!

'O4 I think it was when a window was left down on one of our vehicles. The temps swung wildly and minutes after my wife starts the car, turning on the defrost, a crack appeared, running the width of the window.
I say '04 because that was the last time we had similarly intense winter weather in this area; big snows with multiple freeze thaw cycles.

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 04:40 PM
My family is in NKY-Cincy and they were hit with snowfall and very little ice.
Snowfall, even blizzard conditions I can handle, but the ice, the ICE, seemed inches thick and wreaked havoc on my trees, let alone the power grid!

Yeah, we had that up here too. Power outages. Car accidents. Down trees/limbs. My back still hurts from shoveling our 6-car parking area and walkways at the office.

Back in... '05? '06? ish was worse. Same type of storm, just more ice. People were without power for up to two weeks in some areas.

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 04:45 PM
Fazor, get out of my head!

Why just a month and a half ago...

I was just along to leaven the kids out and to keep them from thinking they were tv characters. Just looking out for my friend's best interests. Make sure everything goes like it's supposed to. When the kid driving gets a leadfoot on the way back. I don't say anything until he gets over 70. And then I had to repeat myself. I don't like having to repeat myself. Makes me feel like I'm being disrespected.

Then, of course, he looked me in the face and we did 85 past San Francisco Airport, where the Highway Patrol likes to troll for speeders.

So when we get to the garage, what other option did I have? (Large ashtray though, not coffee cup.)

A.DIM
2009-Feb-02, 04:47 PM
Yeah, we had that up here too. Power outages. Car accidents. Down trees/limbs. My back still hurts from shoveling our 6-car parking area and walkways at the office.

Back in... '05? '06? ish was worse. Same type of storm, just more ice. People were without power for up to two weeks in some areas.

Scary, for many.

And shows how fragile our society is.

Seeka
2009-Feb-02, 05:01 PM
Snowing right now in Cork City, it never sticks though. Its -1 currently.

Isn't it amazing the differences in weather all over the globe, it is fascinating:)

flynjack1
2009-Feb-02, 05:02 PM
Well we just experienced one of the warmest January's on record (no. 5 I think), anyway its been up to 61 degrees two weeks ago. I was out cleaning my garden turning the soil and working on the yard. It felt like March! Trees already starting to bud, and my strawberries are green. Very unlike our December as it was colder than usual. Currently its clear and 40 F.

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 05:09 PM
Dispite last night, my jasmine is blooming. As are my bounganvillas. All the date palms in the area are also pushing fruit.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-02, 05:14 PM
Heavy snow today, which is very rare down here!

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-02, 06:09 PM
I think you did it on purpose to cool it off from the day before (http://www.bautforum.com/science-technology/84182-microwave-ovens-yesterdays-coffee.html). ;)

You're just having bad luck with coffee lately...

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-02, 10:33 PM
"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..!"

redshifter
2009-Feb-02, 10:42 PM
53 (F) and sunny today in my neck of the Pacific NW. It feels wonderful! Short sleeve weather for sure.

BigDon
2009-Feb-03, 04:03 AM
Who still has a lawn?

redshifter
2009-Feb-03, 06:03 AM
Who still has a lawn?

I do, though I will need to get rid of some moss; a common problem up here in the NW.

Middenrat
2009-Feb-03, 02:31 PM
North-East England and blazing low sun all day, this after a Continental depression dumped a foot of snow yesterday. Zero oktas of cloud presage an early evening eyeing the Mountains of The Moon for me :)

Buttercup
2009-Feb-03, 03:15 PM
Sunny...sunny...sunny :( Endless SUNNY. :(

Anything can become monotonous.

We need clouds/rain (drought). It'd be nice to have a weather change too.

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 03:47 PM
Sunny...sunny...sunny :( Endless SUNNY. :(

Anything can become monotonous.

We need clouds/rain (drought). It'd be nice to have a weather change too.

I love endless sunny when it's warm enough to hit the ponds/lakes and catch me some fishes.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-03, 03:50 PM
The temp is currently probably 55 degrees; you could definitely go fishing mid-day if that's too cool. :) Our high should be 68. There's a little natural lake on the outskirts of town which is kept stocked with fish (and a convenience store nearby for ice-cold beer).

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 04:01 PM
55 if fine. It's low 20's here (or so the radio said). I'm not into ice fishing. Bleh.

BigDon
2009-Feb-03, 07:57 PM
Faz, why do you live somewhere that's as cold as my icebox 4 months a year?

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 07:59 PM
Well, I was going to say "Because no one will give me the money to move.", but the truth is out of the three places we'd like to move to, the one I'd like most is Maine, and thus, even colder.

If you're wondering, the other two would be North Carolina or Florida. I liked it out west, Particularly Nevada, but don't think I'd want to live there.

Veeger
2009-Feb-03, 08:40 PM

A question I certainly ask myself every winter.

BigDon
2009-Feb-04, 08:24 AM
A balmy 50F. A good night time temp as it's 12:30 AM local. No wonder stuff is blooming. (Plants tell the seasons by light length AND night temperature.

TheOncomingStorm
2009-Feb-04, 08:52 AM
Pretty much a typical winter but I do like the different seaons even if there are some drawbacks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31720387@N07/3252954204/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31720387@N07/3252954660/

BigDon
2009-Feb-04, 08:55 AM
david, the second one almost looks like a laundry room mishap

TheOncomingStorm
2009-Feb-04, 08:55 AM
Forgot to add about 5 cm of snow on the ground - 12 C.

TheOncomingStorm
2009-Feb-04, 08:56 AM
david, the second one almost looks like a laundry room mishap
Never thought of it but I guess you are right.

Fazor
2009-Feb-12, 03:03 PM
Well, had another round of extreemly high winds come through last night. My neighbor's roof is in the other neighbor's yard (I mean the roof, not some shingles). Fortunately, I didn't notice any damage to my house; but we have a very high roof so I can't see much from the ground anyway.

At the office, we were without power and our trash-can is nowhere to be seen. Our theory is it was blown into the street and got hit, so the garbage men just threw it in their truck. Sadly, as I was prepairing the last of the refridgerated refugees for their evacuation to my home fridge, the power came back on. That means I don't get the day off. Drats.

BigDon
2009-Feb-12, 03:09 PM
More cold rain. (I don't find cold rain particularly unpleasant) Last night's evening walk had that raining icepicks feeling to it, even through heavy clothing.

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-12, 04:22 PM
Well, had another round of extreemly high winds come through last night...
I don't have any personal anecdotes for last night's round.
But this story (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/18693160/detail.html#) today has a picture (http://www.newsnet5.com/2009/0212/18697676_640X479.jpg) that's just begging for a witty caption.

Fazor
2009-Feb-12, 05:08 PM
"Homeowner's attempt to go green shows why DIY isn't always the best option."

Taeolas
2009-Feb-12, 05:26 PM
Rain here today; first thaw we've had all winter I think. We're hovering around 3C at the moment, but are scheduled to drop down to -9C by the weekend with flurries and clear skies.

Oh well, the school kids got a day off school due to the icy roads. The real fun stuff happens in a few more months; we're 30cm off the snow fall records of last year, and the St. John was already high in the fall when it froze. Depending on how spring goes, we could see major flooding again this year.

captain swoop
2009-Feb-12, 05:39 PM
Howling blizzard.

BigDon
2009-Feb-12, 05:55 PM
Wow Capt, I don't picture Britain and blizzard. Silly me.

captain swoop
2009-Feb-12, 06:05 PM
I am on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors, we get it quite a bit

Buttercup
2009-Feb-12, 07:23 PM
Partly cloudy, 50 F. Was overcast earlier. No wind [thank God].

Forecast [for a week straight] rain has failed to materialize. We need rain.

BigDon
2009-Feb-15, 04:23 AM
The Devil was beating his wife, all day today.

I'll leave it to the weather folklore experts to translate that. :)

Edit to add: That means it was raining and brightly sunny at the same time.

ABR.
2009-Feb-15, 04:54 AM
No thunder over here in my part of the Sierras. Just lots of rain and sleet.

ETA: Oh, wait, that phrase meant rain not thunderstorms. My mistake.

BigDon
2009-Feb-17, 02:35 AM
Another weather saying was in effect all last night and into this morning:

We experienced "Oregon Mist"

It missed Oregon and hit us!

(Very heavy rain fell all night last night. Another inch and a half expected tonight.)

Taeolas
2009-Feb-17, 02:54 PM
Well this morning they were calling for flurries ending by the afternoon. Well something apparently zagged when it should have zigged, so instead of flurries, we got 5-10cm of snow, ending this afternoon (almost ended now)

BigDon
2009-Feb-24, 08:38 AM
12:30AM local and what's coming down is heavier than fog but thicker than drizzle. and colder than a well digger's knee. Bad night to be out of doors.

jokergirl
2009-Feb-24, 11:19 AM
Sun, snow on the ground (well this is stockholm so it's more like slush), around 0. Wish it was a little colder so we'd get less slush and subsequent ice.

;)

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-24, 01:10 PM
Sunny and 15 degrees Centrigrade in Lugano... :)

Taeolas
2009-Feb-24, 02:52 PM
Yesterday, 48cm of snow landed over the city, shutting it down. Transit wasn't even running.

Today, somewhat overcast, some flurries, and somewhat warm (around -5C)

Buttercup
2009-Feb-24, 07:34 PM
Beautiful Spring-like day! :) Partly cloudy [high/wispy], warm [68 F]. The air is fresh and clean. Yes, Spring is just around the corner here. We didn't have a winter [which I actually missed].

Tinaa
2009-Feb-25, 03:59 AM
84 today; same tomorrow.

Torsten
2009-Feb-25, 04:46 AM
Presently -18C, probably down to -24C by morning. Wind 30 km/h gusting to 50.

The wind makes it awful. I have a deadline approaching on some slow, tedious field work. There isn't much option to stay at home because of weather. It's not physically demanding, so I have to dress appropriately to stay warm. Picture the Michelin Man in a snorkel parka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak#Snorkel_Parka) on snowshoes.

BigDon
2009-Feb-25, 08:32 AM
47F with a wind. Have that clear sky thing happening too. Took out the trash wearing a tee shirt and jeans and was shivering like a dog passing peach pits by the time I got back in.

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-27, 02:36 PM
Snowed again yesterday, just a little. We've had a really unusual number of snowfalls this year, for this area. Nothing anyone in the Midwest would even notice, of course but they were delaying schools left and right yesterday morning. It's been unusually cold as well. Bring on the rain, we're ready for it!

Seeka
2009-Feb-27, 06:59 PM
Cloudy with light rain, there is a fog rollling in on the sea, starting to mist now also and it is 6C. :( So much for my plans to try find saturn.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-27, 07:08 PM
Sorry the weather's not cooperating for your Saturn viewing, Steffanie. :( To that end I'll nix mentioning ours...(we need rain). Such is life.

RalofTyr
2009-Feb-28, 08:32 PM
77F warm, sunny and humid out.

Wonderful spring day.

Or summer in Yupperland

mugaliens
2009-Feb-28, 09:26 PM
Heavy darkness, punctuated by brief moments of moving lights.

Probably just cars...

Whirlpool
2009-Mar-01, 01:11 PM
85F .... summer is here .

schlaugh
2009-Mar-01, 03:55 PM
Rain, more rain and then snow...and then cold.

ick...

jrkeller
2009-Mar-01, 04:20 PM
Cold (43F), remember this is Houston TX, Sunny and breezy.

BigDon
2009-Mar-01, 08:31 PM
More rain! Yay! (A wee bit bit cold though)

ABR.
2009-Mar-01, 08:38 PM
More rain! Yay! (A wee bit bit cold though)

It's at least 10 degrees F cooler over here on the other side the valley. Possible snow on the way later this week. I can't agree more though -- YAY!

mugaliens
2009-Mar-01, 09:48 PM
Stormy as can be, with an electrical storm cast for tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Gandalf223
2009-Mar-01, 09:59 PM
100% featureless stratocumulous overcast, 50 F.

The meteorological definition of SNAFU...

Graybeard6
2009-Mar-02, 02:31 AM
10 am 75F
11:40 am 73F
Left my Apartment, walked ~100 ft to car, 71F, wind 25mph, gusting to 35
Drove 1/2 mile to meeting, 68F
1:00 pm left meeting. 61F, same wind
Drove ~5 miles 58F went shopping
2:00 pm Left store 53F same wind
2:15 arrived home 51F same wind
Now 9:28 pm 52F
All times EST
This is East Central Florida during spring break and Bike Week.

Fazor
2009-Mar-02, 05:22 PM
Es muy frio--la temperatura es menos de viente grados--pero es mucho sol.

(That's suppose to say that it's very cold, less than 20 degrees, but it's very sunny.)

Chuck
2009-Mar-02, 06:11 PM
It's 78F in Phoenix, Arizona now with a high of 88F forecast.

Euniculus
2009-Mar-02, 10:49 PM
Yesterday we got 4 inches of snow. Not too common in these parts.

Today was in the low 40s and most of the snow melted off.

BigDon
2009-Mar-03, 01:27 PM
We are continueing our trend of the rainiest "drought" on record. Very blustery all day yesterday with winds out of the north and cold rain. Now at 5:30 AM local it's starting up with the rain and bluster again.

BigDon
2009-Mar-03, 03:30 PM
Two hours later...

It's blowing sideways out there! Too much more of this drought and I'm going to be washed away!

Fazor
2009-Mar-03, 03:47 PM
Two hours later...

It's blowing sideways out there! Too much more of this drought and I'm going to be washed away!

Lol. It's cold but cloudless and (obiously then) sunny here again. It's suppose to gradually get warmer throughout the week; dunno what the percipitation forecast is, but don't care. If it's warm and sunny this weekend I'll go fishing; if not, well I have stuff to do around the house anyway.

jlhredshift
2009-Mar-03, 03:53 PM
Well, another month has gone by of below freezing temperatures. So, another months worth of cow poo has been saved up for methane release when it does finally warm up. Which means that it will warm up even more and release the methane even faster which means..........

ABR.
2009-Mar-03, 04:56 PM
Sierra Nevadas: Rain turning to hail (enough to accumulate) plus thunder! Temperature was 39F about an hour ago. It's about 36F now.

BigDon
2009-Mar-09, 03:55 PM
Last night was cold and clear. 45F and a steady 17 mph wind. *Brrrrrr*

Torsten
2009-Mar-09, 04:04 PM
-25C an hour ago, but it's warmed up to -22! Forecast high: -13C. Wind about 30km/h. Wind chill -35C.

One more cup of coffee and I think I'll brave another day of field work. . .

BigDon
2009-Mar-09, 04:12 PM
Wow, sucks to be you.

Torsten
2009-Mar-09, 04:42 PM
My dirt clods (http://www.bautforum.com/1173201-post1.html) hurt more when I throw 'em.

Tough to pry them out of the ground without a chisel though . . . yeah, it sucks.

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-09, 06:26 PM
Temperature in the 30's (F) and snowing like crazy. As it's been, on and off, all weekend. This is not, Not, NOT, NOT normal around here!

Editing to add: I just came back from driving to a meeting in another building. It's lots worse than I thought; freeway traffic north of Seattle is going to be a nightmare. I'm glad I live close and don't have to get on it. I'm driving an '85 Honda CRX which is a very good snow car as long as it doesn't get too deep. "Too deep" being about 5-6 inches, at which point the car high centers and the front spoiler becomes a plow.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-09, 10:27 PM
It's really cloudy and rainy, which made waking up early for school even less fun today. If the sun is smart enough to get up later, why can't the administrators be?

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-09, 11:08 PM
It's really cloudy and rainy, which made waking up early for school even less fun today. If the sun is smart enough to get up later, why can't the administrators be?

And why did the sun need to get up later anyhow? Now I have to go to work in the dark again. :mad:

And after spending half an hour changing clocks, timers, etc. yesterday I forgot the one that gets me up, so I didn't even have time to make lunch.

Atraveller
2009-Mar-10, 12:28 AM
Rainy and warm here - waiting for Hamish to blow in. Curent temp 26C (79F) forcast is a low of 18C (64F) and rain for the next week while Hamish sits off the coast and disapates.

Yeah Southern hemisphere rubbing it in...

Tinaa
2009-Mar-10, 04:32 AM
Beautiful day. High in the mid 80s. It is 71 at 11:30 PM. Nice night. We are quite desperate for rain. I've had two bags of grass seed sitting around for two years waiting for the rainy season. Can't waste water when I know water restrictions will be enforce early this year.

jokergirl
2009-Mar-10, 09:47 AM
Woke up to 5 cm (2 inches) and it's still snowing. :P

I want spring!

:(

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-10, 07:09 PM
Beautiful day. High in the mid 80s. It is 71 at 11:30 PM. Nice night. We are quite desperate for rain. I've had two bags of grass seed sitting around for two years waiting for the rainy season. Can't waste water when I know water restrictions will be enforce early this year.

You could always move here. The rainy season lasts about 10.5 months. Half of July and most of August are usually pretty nice.

On the other hand, the way things are going it might still be snowing.

Graybeard6
2009-Mar-11, 05:53 AM
Spring has finally arrived at the Space Coast. At 1:50 AM it's 67F, Clear; tomorrow's high 82F. We do need rain, hopefully not until after tomorrow's launch. We've got a couple of swamp fires in the area.

Whirlpool
2009-Mar-12, 08:13 AM
Hope we can trade our weathers . :doh:

Right now , it is 95F here !!!

And it's sooo hot !

TheOncomingStorm
2009-Mar-16, 02:46 AM
The Snow is finally going, but there might be one more strom left.

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-16, 07:17 PM
Ho, Hum, snow again yesterday. Followed by warming, rain, and wind. March can move into the "going out like a lamb" phase any time.

One of my coworkers isn't in today because she fell in the snow. That's not supposed to be able to happen around here this time of year without going skiing.

BigDon
2009-Mar-22, 10:55 AM
44F with an 8mph wind and more "drought" coming down.

For those that don't know people here were really hoping for drought relief money. Crystal Springs reservoir is so full that the trees lining it are inundated up to their first set of branches.

The only reservoir with any bare shoreline is in Contra Costa county, where the feds give them half their water and the feds cut their water ration 50% for enviromental reasons and they still only have about thirty feet of dirt until you get to the old fill line. None of this "half empty bath tub" nonsense.

And "worst drought on record" is positively insulting.

TheOncomingStorm
2009-Mar-22, 08:23 PM
Snow then sun to melt the snow then snow again.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-23, 10:17 PM
On a day like today, when the temp only gets to 70 degrees F (21 degrees C), I like to make a hot tea with a spoonful of honey - takes the chill off.

Atraveller
2009-Mar-23, 10:59 PM
I'm living in Brisbane - this is Goldilocks Land - Not too hot - Not Too cold - Not too wet - not too dry - Not too Sunny - Not too cloudy ...

Current temp a pleasant 24 C (74 F) Sunny with occasional clouds... Forecast for the next six days - more of the same... Chance of rain Sunday night

jokergirl
2009-Mar-25, 04:16 PM
We had seriously crazy weather here yesterday. Snowstorm and brilliant sun in 5 minute intervals. Sometimes both snowstorm and sun at the same time.

Today it's sunny. But <censored> cold. Argh!

;)

Argos
2009-Mar-25, 05:45 PM
I'm living in Brisbane - this is Goldilocks Land - Not too hot - Not Too cold - Not too wet - not too dry - Not too Sunny - Not too cloudy ...

Lucky guy. Sounds like paradise on Earth.

Summer can be a pain here, with 33C for days on end. Things are better now [24C].

geonuc
2009-Mar-28, 01:43 PM
Holy moley! :eek:

We have what I thought was a gentle rain here and then a HUGE lightning strike just hit nearby. Shook the house, set off car alarms, scared the bejeebers out of the dog and cats (and me). I hate lightning.

Trebuchet
2009-Apr-01, 10:20 PM
More snow today, although it didn't stick. It also snowed last Saturday. Clearly the Puget Sound region has been teleported to the Midwest without our permission. Can we have Spring already?

Atraveller
2009-Apr-02, 06:35 AM
Lucky guy. Sounds like paradise on Earth.

Summer can be a pain here, with 33C for days on end. Things are better now [24C].

Hi Argos, your location puts you in the middle of Runway 32 at the Bauru Airport - I can just imagine the heat coming off the runway in the middle of summer would make it a little uncomfortable...

my location 27 27' 07.32"S x 153 06' 23.61"E

And we are in rain for the next few days temps between 19 and 27C

geonuc
2009-Apr-02, 11:16 AM
Hi Argos, your location puts you in the middle of Runway 32 at the Bauru Airport - I can just imagine the heat coming off the runway in the middle of summer would make it a little uncomfortable...

I put him on the south edge of the runway. I think the grass there would offer some relief from the heat coming off the tarmac.

And you apparently live in a warehouse on the east side of Brisbane, Atraveller.

Atraveller
2009-Apr-02, 11:33 PM
I put him on the south edge of the runway. I think the grass there would offer some relief from the heat coming off the tarmac.

And you apparently live in a warehouse on the east side of Brisbane, Atraveller.

I WORK in a warehouse on the south side of Brisbane's Gateway bridge - South East of the city... Isn't google earth a wonderful thing?

korjik
2009-Apr-03, 12:01 AM
Really really windy. I think all the wind that blew north with Ike is going back to sea. :) Gusts up into the tropical storm speeds.

JR_M42
2009-Apr-04, 01:28 AM
We have snow coming into the city at 12:00 A.M. they say about 12" or so it's nice to be home so I do not have to drive in it.

BigDon
2009-Apr-04, 11:19 AM
Really really windy. I think all the wind that blew north with Ike is going back to sea. :) Gusts up into the tropical storm speeds.

Same here. Really windy, combined with low 40's and clear night skys means I'm very glad to be indoors. It's so windy there are whitecaps in my toilet! (From the wind blowing over the vent)

mugaliens
2009-Apr-06, 02:28 PM
Whitecaps in your toilet...

That reminds me of an earthquake I was in that schlogged some of the water out of my toilet.

But whitecaps in your toilet... !

Fazor
2009-Apr-06, 02:39 PM
It's cold and gray and raining. They said it might snow today; it doesn't feel *that* cold though.

But I just had to stand outside for about five minutes looking at a car that had an unfortunate meeting with an even more unfortunate deer. I should have grabbed my jacket. Cold, wet Fazor. Brr.

jrkeller
2009-Apr-06, 03:59 PM
Windy, most blue sky and cold (50F - Remember this is the TX Gulf Coast)

Graybeard6
2009-Apr-06, 09:13 PM
79 F with high winds at 5:00 PM EDT. From the National Weather Service:
ESP"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

SUSTAINED WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH WILL CONTINUE THE REMAINDER OF THIS AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WINDS 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES.(my bold) USE EXTRA CAUTION.
Does that mean I should take more precautions in my Mercedes than my neighbor in her Civic?

redshifter
2009-Apr-06, 10:16 PM
70 degrees and beautiful blue sky! Too few days like this in the Pac NW (at least on the W. side of the Cascades); but days like this are what makes the Pac NW a great place to live!

Maha Vailo
2009-Apr-06, 10:40 PM
It's been unusually hot and humid for April where I live, but it's been cooling down in recent days.

- Maha "everyone talks about it...." Vailo

Atraveller
2009-Apr-07, 12:40 AM
24 C - some sun, some clould - chance of showers later today. Just another day in paradise...

Trebuchet
2009-Apr-07, 11:27 PM
70 degrees and beautiful blue sky! Too few days like this in the Pac NW (at least on the W. side of the Cascades); but days like this are what makes the Pac NW a great place to live!

Never fear, the rain will return soon! Just so it's not snow, which we had yet again last weekend.