PDA

View Full Version : Your current weather?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Tensor
2010-Nov-10, 10:04 PM
Our forecast for the next week is highs of 79-82 (25-27C), lows of 59-62(14-16C), humidity of around 30-40%, with winds of 3-6 MPH and no clouds. It's so tough.

Spoons
2010-Nov-11, 05:34 AM
Sounds just awful Tensor. We've got around the same temps here, but a pinch of rain here and there. It belted down for a while this morning though.

chrissy
2010-Nov-11, 08:20 PM
9 C and a WSW wind blowing at a breezy 56.33 km/h, heavy rain showers in between the down pours. :(

Buttercup
2010-Nov-12, 12:14 AM
Cool (probably 55 F), partly cloudy. Bar clouds rolling in from N - NW; means cooler weather is on the way. Still. Unsure of chances for rain; maybe 10% (which likely means none). Sun has just set (5:14 PM Mountain Standard Time USA).

Atraveller
2010-Nov-15, 04:25 AM
Yet another day in paradise... 28 C and bright blue skies

Tobin Dax
2010-Nov-15, 06:05 AM
Two days ago, the high was nearly 80 F. Currently, it is almost freezing and my furnace just kicked on automatically. The low tonight is supposed to be about 27 F. I know it's November, but that's darn cold.

Spoons
2010-Nov-15, 06:28 AM
We've got 30 degrees C today, and rising 'til 36 on Thursday. Hopefully it cools a pinch for the weekend, I've got a double header of lawn bowls Saturday and Sunday.

publiusr
2010-Nov-15, 09:16 PM
Steady, cold rain here. Some storms late perhaps. Mostly south of B'ham

Atraveller
2010-Nov-16, 01:08 AM
Careful there Spoons - they say that lawn bowls has the highest mortality rate of any sport - worse even than base jumping. Looks like you guys on the left coast are getting hit with another hot spell.

We are still around 28 C (a lovely 82 degrees in the old arm pit scale) with a few big fluffy clouds going by. They say we may get a little rain, which will just encourage the grass to grow.

Spoons
2010-Nov-16, 01:37 AM
Careful there Spoons - they say that lawn bowls has the highest mortality rate of any sport - worse even than base jumping. Looks like you guys on the left coast are getting hit with another hot spell.

It's true what they say. We had 4 of the ol' boys pass in the last year down at Belmont. Sad, but you come to expect it to happen. The hot days (over 35) really take their toll on them - you've really got to keep on top of it, keep them hydrated, or they'll start to flake out.

Anyway, we switched to Kalamunda. Hills folk are much nicer, not such grumpy buggers. Less punch-ups too. :D

Buttercup
2010-Nov-16, 02:34 AM
We finally got a real change in the weather. :rolleyes: Around 1:00 PM clouds rolled in from the north. We had sprinkles of rain and a bit of real rainfall, gusts of breeze. Temperature dropped about 10 degrees during. Currently it's probably 50 F. Still breezy. Low tonight expected to be 31 F.

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-16, 06:20 PM
Nasty overnight windstorm here in the NorthWet. Our power went out at 8:30 PM and didn't come back until 2:30 in the morning. I'm sure glad I got the roof fixed last spring so I no longer have to go pick up shingles.

Atraveller
2010-Nov-17, 12:16 AM
Yet another day in paradise - 28 C again today and sunny

Tomorrow 28 C and sunny (slight chance of rain later)

Weekend forcast 28 C and sunny ... There are tougher places in the world to live.

Hey Spoons, I heard one of our less welcome immigrants showed up in WA. Yes folks there are snakes and toads in paradise... :eek:

Spoons
2010-Nov-17, 02:06 AM
Yeah, thanks Queensland, for your cane toads. :)

Might have to get the golf clubs out if they show up anywhere near me. I hate the things - they were everywhere over in Trinidad.

Oh, beautiful clear skies and 28 degrees C right now.

Torsten
2010-Nov-17, 11:25 AM
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT.

I drove about 830 km today, and the last of it was through the above weather. Passed three wrecks, one of which apparently had 4 ambulances attend. Still winding down from the driving jitters.

Freaking winter. It has barely begun and I'm tired of it.

Tinaa
2010-Nov-17, 11:36 AM
Lows in the 40s, highs in the 70s.

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-17, 03:56 PM
WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT.

I drove about 830 km today, and the last of it was through the above weather. Passed three wrecks, one of which apparently had 4 ambulances attend. Still winding down from the driving jitters.

Freaking winter. It has barely begun and I'm tired of it.

Yup, same warning here. Some folks are still without power from the Monday windstorm, too. Little or no snow expected in the Puget Sound lowlands but they're certainly looking for it up your way.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-17, 05:02 PM
Sorry for the bad weather in British Columbia. :( Originally from Iowa, so I can relate somewhat.

We're sunny, big blue sky, no breeze, humidity is probably 10%, temp is probably 60 F.

LaurelHS
2010-Nov-17, 08:34 PM
Not particularly cold here, but it's been raining all day and it's windy enough to be hazardous to umbrellas. I've been tempted to break into the song "Waiting on a Sunny Day." :)

Spoons
2010-Nov-19, 04:09 AM
It's around 38 or 39 degrees C here right now, depending where you stand. Perfect day for beer. But where for out thou beer?

Atraveller
2010-Nov-19, 04:47 AM
27 C and rainy periods - Just in time for the weekend :boohoo:

And just a little toastie on Spoon's side of the rock....

Spoons
2010-Nov-19, 06:45 AM
It is warm, but the beer fridge has arrived, and so it's perfect weather for putting that to the test.

27 and raining is lovely weather though.

Torsten
2010-Nov-19, 08:18 AM
Storm has passed. Driveway is shoveled clear.

Sky is clear.

-26C

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-21, 02:50 AM
It's around 38 or 39 degrees C here right now, depending where you stand. Perfect day for beer. But where for out thou beer?

Only about 35 degrees here. Fahrenheit! Brr. Snow predicted. We Puget Sounders don't do well with that.

ABR.
2010-Nov-21, 04:09 AM
Sierra Nevadas: Rain. Rain. Snow. Rain.

That's here at ~2400 ft. elevation. Six miles from here and another 1000 ft. elevation and it's 2-3 feet of snow for the weekend.

danscope
2010-Nov-21, 05:47 AM
Cold, winds calm, full moon . No snow. We don;t need no snow. We don't need no steeenkin snow .

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-22, 05:29 PM
Iiiii'm dreaming of a whiiiiite Thanksgiving...

26F here in Port Townsend, about 1.5 inches of snow in the last hour.

I find myself pretty conflicted about snow. I grew up in Montana and was used to having snowy winters. When I was in college, we had at least some snow on the ground one year from October to May. Around here, however, it's a major problem. People aren't used to driving in it and do some pretty stupid stuff. The roads become complete messes. Of course the greater population here, compared to Montana, doesn't help. And since I've lived here near 40 years, I'm not all that accustomed to it anymore either. I'm pretty happy that I retired and no longer have any obligation to go out in it.

ETA: Up to about 5" on the deck rail now. It seems to have stopped snowing but the wind has kicked up so there are still flakes in the air. There'll be an "interesting" commute coming up for those at work. Fortunately it started early enough that many folks probably stayed home. Many schools have been closed. If they had closed the schools in Montana when I was growing up the way they do here, I'd be in about the third grade by now.

Atraveller
2010-Nov-23, 12:40 AM
If they had closed the schools in Montana when I was growing up the way they do here, I'd be in about the third grade by now.

I grew up in Montreal, and third grade was four of the happiest years of my life... :lol:

26 C here - and we have fluffy clouds - another fantastic day in paradise.

And one week to the first day of summer.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Nov-23, 06:30 PM
Rain, fog and about 0 C.

Torsten
2010-Nov-23, 07:11 PM
Sorry for the bad weather in British Columbia.

Belated thanks. I should not complain. As Alan Bean said, we should be grateful that we have weather.

26F here in Port Townsend, about 1.5 inches of snow in the last hour.

I find myself pretty conflicted about snow. (snip) I'm pretty happy that I retired and no longer have any obligation to go out in it.

When it's really cold here for a few days the cold air mass often pushes as far as where you live, and I hear of you guys getting a dump of snow. I have to plan my field activities around the snow and the temperature. It was -29C here this morning, and only promising to rise to -21C. If the field work requires mostly walking with only short stops, I'll go out if it is forecast to rise above -20C. But what I have to do now requires some dexterity, (ie taking measurements without gloves on), and is fairly sedentary, so I'll wait for better conditions. It's a beautiful scene looking out the window, an absolutely brilliant sky today, but I can feel the chill as the heat passes through the double glazed windows.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-23, 07:49 PM
Clear skies except for occasional high and very wispy white clouds. No breeze. Temp is probably 65 F.

Do wish we'd get some rain.

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-23, 08:26 PM
Belated thanks. I should not complain. As Alan Bean said, we should be grateful that we have weather.

When it's really cold here for a few days the cold air mass often pushes as far as where you live, and I hear of you guys getting a dump of snow. I have to plan my field activities around the snow and the temperature. It was -29C here this morning, and only promising to rise to -21C. If the field work requires mostly walking with only short stops, I'll go out if it is forecast to rise above -20C. But what I have to do now requires some dexterity, (ie taking measurements without gloves on), and is fairly sedentary, so I'll wait for better conditions. It's a beautiful scene looking out the window, an absolutely brilliant sky today, but I can feel the chill as the heat passes through the double glazed windows.

Yup, the TV folks are blaming the "Arctic Blast" on you guys. It's beautifully sunny here today and quite cold, around 22F. Much like the Montana winters I remember from my youth.

It got windy last night and we've got some interesting drifts around the house. That's rare in these parts, the snow is generally too wet.

Tobin Dax
2010-Nov-24, 04:48 AM
I can't believe that Washington and Oregon are getting snow this early. I also can't believe that is was over 70 degrees F here yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if I really should go visit my parents in December. :)

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-24, 05:50 AM
I don't recall snow this early here, nor especially such cold temperatures -- it's 15F right now. What's really strange is that we had an all-time record high just about three weeks ago. A bad winter is predicted for us due to La Nia.

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-24, 08:46 AM
-3C and it's almost ceased snowing. Perhaps the bicycle lanes will be more negotiable than they were yesterday ...

Taeolas
2010-Nov-24, 02:08 PM
We had Snow here on Sunday/Monday. They originally called for 2-4 centimeters but I think we topped out around 5-8cm. Since then though it's been raining, and raining hard. Today it's supposed to clearup and hover around the freezing point, with more rain on Friday. And even with all the rain we had, there is still a lot of snow on the ground. It soaked it but didn't melt it. Gonna be fun once we freeze again.

Overall, I'd say this is fairly normal weather for us. I can remember seeing snow this early other times. Don't recall as much rain though, especially after the first snows. This time of year, I'd prefer Snow to rain. (Actually in general I prefer snow to rain; rain soaks you, Snow you can brush off).

Buttercup
2010-Nov-24, 03:52 PM
High hazy wispy white clouds. Otherwise blue sky and sunshine. Ho-hum. :( Temp is probably 60 F. We need rain! I want rain!

Tomorrow's forecast (Thanksgiving Day) is partly cloudy, wind gusts up to 40 mph (go away wind...give us rain instead), and the high will probably be 57 F.

chrissy
2010-Nov-24, 06:26 PM
-1 C and snowing tonight. :(

Atraveller
2010-Nov-25, 03:24 AM
Happy Thanks Giving to everybody in the US.

http://www.jumbojoke.com/thanksgiving_weather_forecast.html

chrissy
2010-Nov-25, 07:51 PM
More snow and it is -3C. I hate winter. :(

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-25, 09:48 PM
Happy Thanks Giving to everybody in the US.

http://www.jumbojoke.com/thanksgiving_weather_forecast.html

I, for one, am thankful we don't have to listen to any more "Black Friday" commercials, which started up the day after the election commercials got done. And that forecast is pretty accurate, although I'm thinking I'll skip making the soup.

Back on topic, we've made it all the way up to around 35 degrees F, (2C or so) a fairly major improvement. We haven't seen above freezing since Sunday.

captain swoop
2010-Nov-25, 10:30 PM
snow snow snow

Atraveller
2010-Nov-26, 12:23 AM
Just four days to the first day of summer.

Currently 24 C (75 in the armpit scale) with a few fluffy clouds.

We are forcast to get to 26 C today. Forcast for the first day of summer is 27 C (82 in Armpit)

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-26, 08:35 AM
-7C. It's not snowing anymore, but the ground's white and the sky's almost white too.

chrissy
2010-Nov-27, 06:54 PM
It hasn't stopped snowing again today, I have taken some pictures from my garden.

ABR.
2010-Nov-27, 07:02 PM
Rain mixed with hail here. The forecast for the next town up the hill is 7-11 inches of snow today. If the snow levels stay up there, I'll be heading out this evening for one last rain beetle excursion.

captain swoop
2010-Nov-27, 07:37 PM
snow snow snow. not stopped since friday afternoon. we have about 18 inches now.
Roads out of Guisborough are closed at the moment. Moor Road to Whitby closed at Birkbrow incline, Road to Midllesbrough blocked at Ormesby Bank, Road to the coast blocked at Yearby Bank and road to Great Ayton closed as well. Can still get outtowards Skelton but then the coast road is blocked at Loftus Bank.

Buttercup
2010-Nov-27, 09:01 PM
Probably should not complain (considering what others are getting elsewhere), but I do wish we'd get some wintry clouds and a nice brisk rainfall. :( I'll probably never get used to such sunny weather this time of year (desert). It's almost oddly depressing in a way I can't describe; the monotony of it.

gzhpcu
2010-Nov-28, 02:18 PM
We got our first snow of the season today. My dog Picollo inaugurated his new winter overcoat! :lol:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5978/picollosnow.jpg (http://img811.imageshack.us/i/picollosnow.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)[/URL]

chrissy
2010-Nov-28, 08:42 PM
More snow this afternoon. :(

captain swoop
2010-Nov-28, 11:14 PM
Still snowing,

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Nov-29, 04:58 AM
Only a couple of cm here. I see my plan to send all our snow to England is working, now I must convince the government to pay my ransom, Mahahahahaha.

TonyE
2010-Nov-29, 08:26 AM
Wet Wet Wet. 10C.

Spoons
2010-Nov-29, 10:19 AM
We had another warm day today. It'd probably break the mercury bulb under the armpit, so in Celsius it was about 37 degrees, and we're looking at a minimum of 19 overnight. How wonderfully warm. At least the heat might help me click my spine back into place.

AndreasJ
2010-Nov-29, 10:32 AM
-8C, brilliant sunlight, ~20cm of snow. Really nice winter weather, I'd say.

Atraveller
2010-Nov-29, 11:02 AM
It was 29 C on the coast today, but I am playing tour guide to some friends from Canada (they are escaping the first blast of winter) so I took them up into part of the Great Dividing Range. It was 24 C on top of Mount Tamborine (elv 520) and only 21 C in the forest of O'Riely's Plateau. (Had a mess of rosella's land on me...)

Hey Spoons, sorry to hear about your back. I warned you about Bowls. Dangerous sport that...

Spoons
2010-Nov-29, 11:28 AM
Thanks Atraveller. You were right. I think I caught a hip injury from the old folks there too. The longer I was at the club, the worse it got.

chrissy
2010-Nov-29, 07:03 PM
A strange thunder storm along with the snow last night, still snowing here and it has only stopped a couple of times to refill the snow clouds. :(

Buttercup
2010-Nov-29, 11:54 PM
Yesterday was windy; gusts up to 45 mph. Extremely rare for this time of year (seemed like March). "Sunny" otherwise.

Today was windy again, and now it has turned cold (for us). 4:53 PM and the temp is probably 35 F. Snowy clouds filled entire eastern sky curving towards NW about 2 hours ago. Mountain range to east had slight skiff of snow. Otherwise the clouds are erratic; quickly form then dissipate. Still very breezy. Wind chill is probably 20 F.

rommel543
2010-Nov-30, 05:45 PM
So far we've had about 15-20 cm of snow this year (we had NONE until the 18th). It's currently -11c with a wind chill of -23c. Weather man is calling for 40-60km winds today with whiteout conditions.

Trebuchet
2010-Nov-30, 06:01 PM
We've returned to November Normal. Mid 40's F, and raining lightly all day long.

Atraveller
2010-Dec-01, 12:07 AM
Happy First Day of Summer!!!

And it is a rainy day out there today. But it is a warm rain at 28 C.

So - it was the wettest spring on record for this part of Queensland.

And on Spoons side of the rock, it was the warmest spring on record.

Spoons
2010-Dec-01, 01:50 AM
I'd believe that, Atraveller - it's been darn warm for pretty much all the last month or so at least. We're into the part of the year with 20 degree minimums when you either sleep with the air-con on or you sweat profusely all night, twisting and turning, which upsets my back and neck more.

One of these days I really want to either do the heat thing properly and move back to the tropics, or switch gears and move to a really cold area.

chrissy
2010-Dec-01, 07:09 PM
Well it hasn't stopped snowing all day today, I am giving up on shovelling the snow, becuase I am running out of space to put the huge mountains of the stuff in my garden. The poor birds wait for me daily to replenish the seeds my regulars are a Blackbird, Robin and a Jenny Wren. :)
Did I tell you how much I hate winter? :neutral:

jrkeller
2010-Dec-01, 07:13 PM
Cool and sunny here in Houston TX.

danscope
2010-Dec-01, 07:23 PM
50 degrees and rain, in a big way. At least I don't have to shovel. :)

Buttercup
2010-Dec-01, 07:39 PM
Sunny, clear blue sky, temperature probably 62 F. Glad you're not having to shovel, danscope!

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-03, 10:23 AM
Temperature has crept upwards (to -6C from around -15C on wednesday) and it's snowing again. Almost no wind, which is nice.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-03, 12:52 PM
Snow overnight over 2ft now. Overnight RAF Dishforth just down the road recorded the coldest night ever in england -14 centigrade.

Clear blue skies and sun today but not getting above freezing.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-03, 12:53 PM
Aviemore in Scotland has recorded -20c

Henry Krinkle
2010-Dec-03, 05:54 PM
75 degree in Sunny Los Angeles California! Got to love it out here....oh yea except for most people.

chrissy
2010-Dec-03, 07:55 PM
-4C, The sky never changed colour just a drab grey and a few snow flurries.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-03, 08:38 PM
Mostly "cloudy" but they're high wispy clouds, though a bit thicker than normal and entirely lacing the sky. Sunlight a bit muted as a result. Calm, no breeze. Temp is probably 65 F.

Come on clouds and rain! We should be starting our rainy season soon. Hope so.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-03, 08:41 PM
Wind getting up, some flurries of new snow but we are getting a lot blowing down off the forest and Moor tops as well.

Solfe
2010-Dec-04, 03:11 AM
We seem to be having thundersnow again. We had a three day run of it here in Depew NY, a one day break and tonight it's booming again.
We also have two feet of snow, but it isn't very cold. The snow on the bottom melts and turns into a nice slush, which is a pain to shovel.

Solfe
2010-Dec-04, 04:08 AM
Correction... no thundersnow tonight, there is a plow driver who is scraping curbs at random. It sort of sounds like thunder in my basement.

kamaz
2010-Dec-04, 08:43 PM
I've fallen asleep on the bus home today, when I woke up my first thought was that I was on Titan. It's cold (-15C), dark, snow on the ground and thick, orange fog. (Orange because of sodium lamps).

Atraveller
2010-Dec-04, 11:19 PM
A few of the locals are talking about building an Arc...

The golf course behind us, and the park down the road are both turning into lakes.

And the rain continues...

But atleast it is nice and warm 26 C today.

danscope
2010-Dec-05, 04:19 AM
Cold...... quite cold . 27 degrees tonight. 28 Sunday . No snow to speak of . Good .

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-05, 05:09 AM
Snow overnight over 2ft now. Overnight RAF Dishforth just down the road recorded the coldest night ever in england -14 centigrade.

That seems a little cold for England!

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-05, 05:10 AM
Well it hasn't stopped snowing all day today, I am giving up on shovelling the snow, becuase I am running out of space to put the huge mountains of the stuff in my garden.

That reminds me of last winter here. At some point you just run out of someplace to put the snow. Snow. I am not fond of snow.

kamaz
2010-Dec-05, 10:11 AM
Morning, clear skies, -14C and still going up (from the minimum of -18.4C at sunrise).

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-05, 10:21 AM
-2C - the cold spell seems to have ended. The weatherman says it's going to remain a few degrees below freezing for the next few days, before getting a bit colder again towards the end of the week.

Atraveller
2010-Dec-07, 01:38 AM
It has finally stopped raining for a bit, and a nice sunny 27 C... Rain continues later today.

But it has been a devestating start to summer for the farmers. Wheat crops wiped out by floods and locusts... Almost a biblical plague. (just need flies, we already have a plague of frogs - well toads actually...)

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-07, 03:05 AM
-5 C and snowing, but it's December in Ontario so this isn't exactly unusual. :)

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-07, 10:06 AM
-4C and has stopped snowing. Somewhat oddly, temperature has falled pretty rapidly in the last hour, from just below freezing at 10.00 AM.

nubeoort
2010-Dec-07, 11:25 AM
Valencia, Spain = rainy, about 15, a very hot day!

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-07, 01:43 PM
We got a weather bomb here yesterday. Which means an extreme low pressure and with snow. Wet heavy snow which bent a few branches and took out the power for about 15 hours. We have two wood stoves one we normally have going and the other in the kitchen and we got that one up and running as well.

Henry Krinkle
2010-Dec-07, 02:23 PM
Its a chilly 50 degrees Fahrenheit in Los Angeles California today...too cold for me.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-07, 06:12 PM
Sunny sunny sunny clear blue sky clear blue sky.

Pretty.

But monotonous. Very monotonous. Where's our December RAIN? :confused: :(

Temp is probably 60 F.

Clouds please. Rain please. Otherwise I'll get depressed (if that makes any sense to folks who live in nasty-weather areas; trust me, I wouldn't have understood that either, 20 years ago while living in the Midwest).

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-07, 09:17 PM
Clouds please. Rain please. Otherwise I'll get depressed (if that makes any sense to folks who live in nasty-weather areas; trust me, I wouldn't have understood that either, 20 years ago while living in the Midwest).

In summer, I not infrequently wish for "worse" weather, as I find high temperatures (about 25C and up) unpleasant.

This presuming that Linkping, where we've not seen temperatures above freezing for two weeks now, counts as a nasty-weather area.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-07, 09:32 PM
23F and about a foot of snow on the ground. But; I don't despair, we're only due for another 6 inches tonight ...and some tomorrow, and some tomorrow night...

I got a laugh out of a story earlier in the day. It said Florida was in a "deep freeze" and the video came on with a weatherman holding a big thermometer saying it was 33F and may go below freezing.
Yeah, I know that's bitterly cold for Floridians, but "Deep Freeze"?

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-07, 09:47 PM
An above-freezing deep freeze? That's ... just ... wrong. People capable to thinking such things shouldn't be allowed to speak in public lest they infect others.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-08, 12:02 AM
No new snow here for the last couple of days but a new record low at RAF Leeming (just down the road the other way from RAF Dishforth.) -17.5c

Temp not got above freezing at all so snow not clearing and now it's started snowing again tonight.

I had to drive down to Hull today, it's 110 miles because I can't go over the moors because the roads are still snowed up. Motorway all the way so just as fast as the moor road but 40 mmiles longer.

Anyway, absolutely freezing all the way. Crossing the Yorkshire Wolds and along the Humber Estuary it was bright sunshine but with a freezing mist. Everything is covered in frost. trees, grass, fences, houses. It's spectacular. Wish I had a camera with me

chrissy
2010-Dec-08, 07:52 PM
-4C The temperature hasn't raised much during the day, I have icicles on my plants, one in particular looks magnificent, I may take a photo of it tomorrow.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-08, 08:41 PM
Santa must have decided to come early this year; I heard and saw Donner & Blitzen outside before I even got up...

Seriously, thunderstorms are quite rare in this area so it took me by surprise. We get it only 3-4 times a year, I'd guess. It also rained VERY hard, which is also a bit unusual. Normally it just drizzles all day, as it is doing now.

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-11, 06:44 AM
It's crept above zero again. I'm not too happy about that, as we'll have lots of wet snow everywhere. And when it gets colder again and more snow falls, we'll have imaginatively shaped ice beneath even-looking snow, for optimal biking fun.

ETA: Oh joy! Lots of wet snow is falling.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-11, 11:58 AM
Snow all gone, over 2ft of it melted away in 2 days. Just a few dirty piles left where people have cleared roads etc.

Sun shine and quite pleasant now.

SeanF
2010-Dec-11, 03:32 PM
Blzzard conditions right now. Not a lot of snow - I think they're predicting 3 to 4 inches - but it sure is blowing around.

Saw the neighbor out snowblowing his sidewalk. It's still snowing, and it's blowing so hard, that I had to wonder what he thought he was accomplishing.

danscope
2010-Dec-11, 07:35 PM
Warmer than it was . 40 degrees F , calm . Luxury ! Stay warm, you guys.
Clear skies,
Dan

Buttercup
2010-Dec-11, 08:01 PM
Considering how it's going elsewhere, I really hate to complain (seriously; I grew up in bad-weather area) but:

I am sick to death of sunshine! :( This is getting terribly monotonous. I love a change in weather.

I want clouds and rain.

chrissy
2010-Dec-11, 08:49 PM
I just want the rest of the compact snow/ice to go and I will be happy again. I had to sort out my garden and the plants that were damaged from the weight of the snow. Just a no stop busy day to sort out a load of things the snow ruined. :(

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-12, 12:35 AM
The TV folks are telling of a "pineapple express" -- warm moist air from the vicinity of Hawaii bringing wind and heavy rains. They got the "wind" and "rain" parts right. It's about 40F, however which doesn't qualify as warm to me. Flood warnings are up for a number of local rivers, which I will paste in just because I love the names:

Nooksack
Skagit
Stillaguamish
Skykomish
Snohomish
Snoqualmie
Tolt
Skookumchuck
Newaukum
Chehalis
Puyallup
Nisqually
Deschutes
Cowlitz
Skokomish
Satsop

The Skokomish is no doubt drawing TV crews for the annual shots of salmon swimming across the highway.

TJMac
2010-Dec-12, 03:11 PM
We got our first snow of the season. No more than a couple inches, I am guessing. (have not seen any official reports) My thermometer says its a balmy 9F outside, and NOAA tells me that we have gusts of winds up to 35, which is down from last nights gusts of 50.

Ugh. :(

danscope
2010-Dec-12, 11:00 PM
Got rain... in a big way ! 50 degrees, ni chance o0f snow. We'd be buried !!! Oh... SNAP !!!

Buttercup
2010-Dec-13, 12:44 AM
Clear and sunny.

Still. :(

Rain? What's that? I hear it's wet stuff that falls from dark clouds. :confused:

The monotony here is ridiculous.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-13, 02:15 AM
Clear and sunny.

Still. :(

Rain? What's that? I hear it's wet stuff that falls from dark clouds. :confused:

The monotony here is ridiculous.

Oh, I'm sooo sorry for you. Not.

The "warm" part of the pineapple express has arrived, with temperatures here of 50F today. At least we've not had the massive rain (reports of more than 6") that some folks in the area have had. The rivers are flooding, hillsides sliding, houses being wrecked. Bad times for a lot of folks.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-13, 05:12 AM
Rain and it looks like a lot of it, there goes the snow we got last week.

jlhredshift
2010-Dec-13, 02:14 PM
Glacial

megrfl
2010-Dec-13, 02:44 PM
Not good here for the farmers or those without heat - expecting below freezing temps tonight for several hours. I love an occasional cool blast, but seriously, it is not enjoyable for extended periods in Southern Florida. Not good. :(

rommel543
2010-Dec-13, 02:48 PM
Currently -26c with a 12 km/h wind making it feel like -35. High of -18 today.

Burrrrrrrrrrrr
https://sites.google.com/a/woodfield.ca/storeage/Home/imagestorage/FrozenTongueSmiley.gif

Taeolas
2010-Dec-13, 04:05 PM
What is with the weather lately? The South is getting snow and the North is getting rain....

Could some of you guys who are getting pounded with snow ship it to the Canadian Maritimes? We want it desperately for Christmas. :(

We had some snow on the ground last week... but today we have High Winds and Heavy Rainfall warnings in effect, (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/13/ns-stormy-weather.html) with temperatures around 12C. We're going down to 6C tonight, and when the rain stops we'll finally go back below 0, but this just ain't right.

End of the week we're supposed to get some flurries at least, but until then it's not nice.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-13, 06:39 PM
Could some of you guys who are getting pounded with snow ship it to the Canadian Maritimes? We want it desperately for Christmas. :(
I would love to. Would you please prepay the shipping charges though?

Government entities are shutting down around here today. Even our company is sending us home. Although; I'm not so sure why. My drive in today was a breeze (pun intended). Nobody was on the roads.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-14, 01:07 AM
Well there is severe flooding here. A couple of intersections in town have been flooded, plus the local mall of 5 or 6 stores were all flooded, and a road outside of town has been washed out.
http://www.cbc.ca/nb/

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-14, 09:41 AM
Cold. Very very cold.

It isn't that it seems unusually cold, it really is unusually cold!

http://mapcenter.hamweather.com/records/7day/us.html

Buttercup
2010-Dec-14, 02:46 PM
Monotonous again.

Trebuchet: Nyyaaa. :(

Send ME some of YOUR rain!

rommel543
2010-Dec-14, 03:08 PM
I can send you some of our cold and snow.

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-14, 05:30 PM
About 10 minutes ago!

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-14, 05:30 PM
If only we could do snow and cold trading. Now that is an idea that would rock.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-14, 05:58 PM
If we don't get rain and clouds soon, I'm going to consider hiring some Indian rain dancers! :mad: ;)

They are available in this area. :D

Okay: Sunny (yaaaawn...like the past 50 months), clear (repeat yawn and hyperbole). Temp probably 60 F.

I don't mind the warm (like it). But otherwise the monotony is...well... :(

p.s.: Thanks for the pic, Trebuchet. At least it's something different to look at. :)

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-14, 06:03 PM
If you don't like the weather on Coruscant, maybe you could move?

:)

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-14, 08:06 PM
If we don't get rain and clouds soon, I'm going to consider hiring some Indian rain dancers! :mad: ;)

They are available in this area. :D

Okay: Sunny (yaaaawn...like the past 50 months), clear (repeat yawn and hyperbole). Temp probably 60 F.

I don't mind the warm (like it). But otherwise the monotony is...well... :(

p.s.: Thanks for the pic, Trebuchet. At least it's something different to look at. :)

So just where (on Earth) is Coruscant, anyhow? Glad you liked the pic. The bow was much brighter but faded in the 30-40 seconds it took me to find the camera and get out the door.

This is actually our second day in a row of part-sun, not bad for this time of year. We largely missed out on the heaviest rains here in Port Townsend. Just 30 miles or so away they were reporting 6 inches in 24 hours. Hurray for the rain shadow!

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-14, 08:06 PM
It's crept above zero again. I'm not too happy about that, as we'll have lots of wet snow everywhere. And when it gets colder again and more snow falls, we'll have imaginatively shaped ice beneath even-looking snow, for optimal biking fun.

ETA: Oh joy! Lots of wet snow is falling.

It's actually turned out much less bad than I expected: temperatures swiftly returned to well below zero, and the snow clearing teams have been quite efficient. About all I have to complain about is that my hands get very cold (I should evidently buy new gloves).

danscope
2010-Dec-15, 06:23 AM
Ah.... cold ! Sure and it's only 15 degrees , and the cat has seen fit to come in without complaint . A light breeze to push it around .
No golf today. Maybe a nice cup of tea.

Dan

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-15, 02:38 PM
Overnight we got snow. I wish the weather would just makes up it mind.

Taeolas
2010-Dec-15, 02:59 PM
Overnight we got snow. I wish the weather would just makes up it mind.

Ditto. Though we didn't get the snow. At best we got a frozen rain dusting (very granular snow), and nothing of note on the ground... Though they're still saying 5cm today.

The St. John hit flood stages in Freddy last night, but its going down again to 'normal'. It was amazing to see Mactaquac's overflow ports open to full in December. We usually don't see water like that till spring.

BigDon
2010-Dec-15, 04:07 PM
As my dear ol' mother used to say to us when I was a child:

Spring has sprung
Fall has fell
Winter's here
And it's colder than anything.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-15, 07:52 PM
I got some pictures emailed me from my mother and sister showing some of the damage just click the link to my blog.

chrissy
2010-Dec-15, 08:06 PM
Just got rid of the snow and it is due to fall again tomorrow. :(

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-16, 04:23 AM
Thursday, there will be snow.

geonuc
2010-Dec-16, 11:58 AM
So just where (on Earth) is Coruscant, anyhow?

I think if you check out her profile picture, you might get a clue about Coruscant.

Methinks it's a world away from her present posting location. :)

danscope
2010-Dec-18, 03:30 AM
Getting cool again. 23 degrees F. Wind is cam . Perhaps a storm Sunday . Snow thrower proves well . Winter cometh .

Dan

ABR.
2010-Dec-18, 04:20 AM
Rain. I think that goes for all of California right now and for the foreseeable future.

danscope
2010-Dec-19, 07:33 PM
" They say it never rains in southern California ... " . Umbrella , please?
I have 33 degrees F and it's .....pretty grey with a light breeze . But...no snow! We don't need no steeenkin snow! :)

Dan

ABR.
2010-Dec-19, 07:40 PM
Still raining here in Northern California.

John Jaksich
2010-Dec-19, 08:08 PM
As of noon--damp, drizzily, and the rain has let up ... somewhat in the Sacramento area

BigDon
2010-Dec-19, 08:22 PM
Let me clarify ABR's post.

It's raining like hell in California right now.

I have a four inch deep creek running through the courtyard of my apartment complex despite the presence of not one, but two functioning three inch drains.

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-19, 08:25 PM
-7.4C. Snow has ceased to fall, but reportedly there's more due tomorrow.

ABR.
2010-Dec-19, 09:13 PM
Let me clarify ABR's post.

It's raining like hell in California right now.

I have a four inch deep creek running through the courtyard of my apartment complex despite the presence of not one, but two functioning three inch drains.

It has been a bit damp, hasn't it?

Yesterday morning at about 4am, I drove up into the coastals (up to around 3500 ft). There was a nice thunderstorm back to the east (probably towards Redding) with lots of lightning -- something you don't see that often here. The rain took a break and by 6:30am you could see the hoarfrost forming while a light snow fell from clouds thin enough that Venus kept poking through. We're in another break now, but it has been raining almost constantly here in the Sierras.

Atraveller
2010-Dec-20, 12:24 AM
It was pouring all weekend. It got sunny just in time for monday...:evil:

At least it is warm - 26 C all weekend, and up to 30 C today.

BigDon
2010-Dec-20, 02:14 AM
It was pouring all weekend. It got sunny just in time for monday...:evil:

At least it is warm - 26 C all weekend, and up to 30 C today.

That's not a typo?

LeonardLambert
2010-Dec-20, 02:46 AM
My current weather? Embarrassing... that's what it is... A week ago I was blathering on to out-of-towner's that it was unusual for it to be this cold in northern Illinois this time of year... we're getting January/February weather... I said it probably won't last long... they'll blame me, like the weather man. :)

Spoons
2010-Dec-20, 03:44 AM
We've caught a day of rain here in Perth today. Luckily Australia finished off England quickly yesterday in the cricket test match - if they'd made it through yesterday I think they would've been saved today, as it looks like it'll at least sprinkle all day.

Only 17 C today too. Very mild.

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-20, 05:59 AM
That's not a typo?

I think that's a dash, not a minus sign.

(Incidentally, I hate the combination of hot and rainy. Luckily, it almost never happens in Sweden.)

Atraveller
2010-Dec-20, 06:15 AM
That's not a typo?

Perhaps I should have said "At least it is warm: 26 C all weekend, and up to 30 C today"

(uhmm that would be: 79 and 85 in the olde armpit scale)

Taeolas
2010-Dec-20, 04:00 PM
Cloudy skies today... but I'm right on the edge of a snow/rain line. They're predicting 2C temperatures for tomorrow and a mix of Rain and snow, mainly rain. :(. Down south, towards St. Stephen, they've got heavy rainfall warnings already in place, and the community is bracing for yet more flooding. 2010 is not being a nice Christmas for that region.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-20, 04:31 PM
Not as much rain as last week, last week we about 100 mm of rain and there are only forecasting about 10 mm of rain this time but there is snow mixed in as well there is already snow on the ground. I am on one of the ridges outside of the town so not much flooding here, most of the flooding happen because there is a stream that runs through part of town and couldn't drain fast enough.

BigDon
2010-Dec-20, 04:51 PM
Perhaps I should have said "At least it is warm: 26 C all weekend, and up to 30 C today"

(uhmm that would be: 79 and 85 in the olde armpit scale)

D'oh! And I had a massive case of cerebral flatulence. That looks a lot more reasonible than -15F to 85F.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-20, 04:53 PM
The link shows where the stream flooded last week, there are culverts under the road and entrance to the mall, they couldn't handle the water fast enough last week and the town flooded. The major thing is that there are only three access things to to the town and was flooded over and of course there are a few businesses located right there that took damage. There was damage on some of the rural roads where other streams crossed the road. At my place we only got some flooding in the basement but that was taken care of with a pump.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.203207,-67.266455&spn=0.014061,0.038581&z=15
Eta here is an overview of my place. Yes there a lake across the way but it is more of a swamp then anything else and there is still some distance between me and it.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.203207,-67.266455&spn=0.014061,0.038581&z=15

Torsten
2010-Dec-20, 05:43 PM
-19C, light snow, warming to -17, and maybe as warm as -6 over the next few days, with flurries in the forecast every day. Typical for this time of year. However, at least one of the big lakes is still open, with just some ice in the bays.

Trebuchet's pineapple express of last week pushed its way up here at one point and we had a thaw. When it turned cold again the stems of many trees had a clear glazing of ice as the snow-meltwater flowing down them refroze.

Davidlpf: I saw a picture on the CBC site a few days ago of a dam completely overflowing with flood water. My guess is that is the one by Mill Lane, below Salmon Falls? It was a really frightening image.

TheOncomingStorm
2010-Dec-20, 06:39 PM
Davidlpf: I saw a picture on the CBC site a few days ago of a dam completely overflowing with flood water. My guess is that is the one by Mill Lane, below Salmon Falls? It was a really frightening image.
That was down in St George on the Magaguadavic river.

Torsten
2010-Dec-20, 06:58 PM
Oh yes, I found the article again and re-read the caption. Seeing that much water flowing through and over that place just gives me the creeps.

Taeolas
2010-Dec-20, 07:01 PM
Do you have a link to that article? The only pics I saw on CBC in passing were of the Mactaquac dam with its floodgates wide open when this area of the river was flooding.

Torsten
2010-Dec-20, 07:10 PM
Here ya go. (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/19/nb-donations-wanted-for-flood-victims.html)

danscope
2010-Dec-20, 09:37 PM
Got 28 degrees F. With a wind behind it. 15kts. Cape Cod got the snow though. :)

Dan

Atraveller
2010-Dec-21, 12:05 AM
Happy Summer Solstice!!!

(Well it doesn't actually happen untill nearly midnight, but one can't be too early for these things.)

And a happy winter solstice to everyone in the northern hemisphere.

Danscope - we have 28C here today, and a beautiful sunny day that would be perfect for a round of golf, if I weren't trapped in an office. The rain comes back just in time for christmas holidays.

And talking about rain - the interior of the Australian continent is saturated. The great western desert is about knee deep in flood waters. So is the big wet a sign of global warming? More moisture in the air?

Spoons
2010-Dec-21, 03:03 AM
Dunno, but after half a day of rain and a full day of overcast we've returned to a lovely 30C day here. Just right for beer drinking. And yet I'm here, in the office, waiting out the last few days, with no work to do, just doing AutoCAD tutes from the web to hone my skills.

Atraveller
2010-Dec-21, 06:45 AM
Ah yes, excelent beer drinking weather. I will have to go and visit our friend Mr. Murphy on the way home and pick up a slab...

Spoons
2010-Dec-21, 07:37 AM
I'm going one up on you there - picking up 3 more kegs on the way home. 50 litres of goodness!

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-21, 04:27 PM
Happy Summer Solstice!!!

Indeed. Winter here, of course. Throughout my life, my mother was somewhat obsessed with the length of the days and nights, and was thrilled when she could finally call me up just to say "The days are getting longer!" She's gone now, but got me thoroughly trained. THE DAYS ARE GETTING LONGER! HURRAY!

Sorry to you folks down under, though!

danscope
2010-Dec-21, 04:34 PM
Ah, a longer day. The office shall not conquer . And a fine stout and the fairways await.
Got 34 F. Today with a dussting of snow. Chatham on Cape Cod got 12 inches of snow to ponder while they shovel .
I shall be content . Ah.... to dream of 28 C !!!

Dan

Atraveller
2010-Dec-21, 11:51 PM
I'm going one up on you there - picking up 3 more kegs on the way home. 50 litres of goodness!

Midsummer night party at SPOONS place!!!

Well the rain is back... The worst case forcast is we will get 500mm (about 19") of rain over the next week. Just in time for our christmas holidays. Atleast it will stay warm - around 28 to 30 C (this is a tropical system coming down from the north end...)

Meantime they are spilling the dams to make room for the next flood.

Spoons
2010-Dec-22, 02:27 AM
Come one, come all! Bring Chex Mix.

Well, after one day of warm sunny weather (think it got to about 35 yesterday) we've gone back to the overcast, sticky humidity of a 23C day and the odd sprinkling of rain.

I don't really mind having longer nights coming back Trebuchet - I love having the stars come to visit early. And waking up and heading to work while it's still dark makes me feel almost like some sort of hard working professional.

Good luck with the weatehr over there Atraveller - hope it doesn't get ugly for you or your people.

Atraveller
2010-Dec-22, 03:17 AM
Thanks Spoons - the ugliest aspect of all the rain is it is going to spoil my plans to play endless rounds of golf over christmas.

As far as flooding: the great flood of '74 saw the river rise 7.4 meters. My place will only be affected if the river rises 18 meters. (now that would be truly ugly)

AndreasJ
2010-Dec-22, 09:03 PM
-19C and falling.

Apparently 'twas -16C as I walked home across town in late afternoon. It honestly didn't feel that cold - the air is too dry and still for the chill to really bite.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-22, 09:28 PM
Temp is probably 68 F. Nice.

And it's cloudy! :)

Now we need rain to go with those clouds. Been 60+ days without a drop of rain. Our rainy season should have begun 2-3 weeks ago and we need it badly. And I want it besides as a change of pace.

chrissy
2010-Dec-22, 09:56 PM
Last night it went down to -9C then it rose to a blistering -4C, then it snowed. This morning it snowed on and off until lunch time, had a break to reorganise itself and more snow fell this evening. The temperature is still at -4C. :(

chillin4alivin
2010-Dec-22, 10:14 PM
Last night -19DegC Methlick Aberdeenshire
Hate the low sun when driving tho!!!!
Big Thaw on its way Boxing Day!!

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-22, 10:49 PM
Just think how cold it would be with out global warming!

captain swoop
2010-Dec-22, 11:52 PM
Started snowing at 9 oclock this morning and snowed non stop till 10 oclock tonight
I live about 30 miles off Chrissy. It's very patchy. I went up the A1 to Newcastle to do a job and there was nothing all the way up until I got to near Gateshead and ran into it again.

All in all I spent 6 hours driving to go 60 miles each way!

BigDon
2010-Dec-23, 05:30 PM
Fell asleep with my bedroom window wide open last night. It was clear cold and windy. Normally my window is on the lee side of the apartment in relation to the prevailing westerly winds but last night they came at me from the south east. I woke up this morning it was 42F in my bedroom. Definately time to get the quilt out out of the closet. And invest in some new pajamas.

swampyankee
2010-Dec-23, 06:40 PM
Very lightly snowing. Now, all those young whippersnappers in SUVs will be crashing all over the place :surprised

danscope
2010-Dec-23, 07:05 PM
Yes, and they'll be upside down on the roadside, still yakking on their cellphone ! Dreadful little ankle biters with more money than brains.
I had one pass me last night on 95 in slick conditions . The friendly Mass State Police pulled him over down the road. I'm sure he had a pleasant conversation .
Got 34 degrees F. And there's a thrashing old wind behind it. My cat's ears flattened back when he peered out the door! :)
Still, Yorkshire seems to be enduring the better storm.
My sympathies , Friends ,
Dan

Buttercup
2010-Dec-23, 08:32 PM
Pretty mackerel sky shortly after sunrise. Now (mid-afternoon) there are lots of fleecy billowing clouds all around; white, soft grey and sooty grey. Heard a rumble of thunder. Hopefully this is the start of our much-needed rainy season. :) Temp is probably a refreshing 60 F. I've been outdoors a couple of times to enjoy the view...

CJSF
2010-Dec-23, 08:44 PM
I think if you check out her profile picture, you might get a clue about Coruscant.

Methinks it's a world away from her present posting location. :)

She lives with Natalie Portman?

CJSF

chrissy
2010-Dec-23, 11:26 PM
Started snowing at 9 oclock this morning and snowed non stop till 10 oclock tonight
I live about 30 miles off Chrissy. It's very patchy. I went up the A1 to Newcastle to do a job and there was nothing all the way up until I got to near Gateshead and ran into it again.

All in all I spent 6 hours driving to go 60 miles each way!

It never stopped snowing here where I live and I have given up hope in shovelling it to one side. Then I was attacked by my friend with the nasty stuff, in my ear and down my back, it used to be so much better when I was a kid.

danscope
2010-Dec-24, 12:46 AM
And for so many , just where do you ever put all this snow? Narrow roads, little back yards some times.... I shudder to think.
Hope you all have some success with this, and a warm drink afterwards. You deserve something .
Best regards,
Dan

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-24, 12:47 AM
Auuugh. I still haven't figured out where Coruscant is (on earth). By the way, Buttercup, the link to your beautiful city brings up a one-pixel file. It's a little hard to get much information from that.

danscope
2010-Dec-27, 05:05 AM
Hello from the Great White North ! It's 25 degrees F and blowing 50 MPH ! Maybe I should let my cat in . They are talking 12 inches of snow and better. With this wind, there will be wind drifts galore. Surely my snow thrower will start tomorrow . :)

Dan

swampyankee
2010-Dec-27, 11:35 AM
RI is not part of the "Great White North!" It's part of Southern New England. It's just snowing a bit here, and a tad windy.

chrissy
2010-Dec-27, 08:07 PM
It has snowed for most of today and more is forecast to come. :(

ABR.
2010-Dec-27, 08:23 PM
I don't want to be an alarmist, but there is this extremely bright sphere of light in the sky that makes my eyes hurt when I look at it. It seems to be very hot as all the clouds have burned off and the pavement is starting to dry. Is anyone else in California experiencing this phenomenon?

BigDon
2010-Dec-27, 09:24 PM
I...I thought it was trap!

ABR.
2010-Dec-27, 09:26 PM
I think you may be right. I plan to stay indoors and hope the rain returns.

danscope
2010-Dec-28, 06:59 PM
Having a heat wave . 32 F .... with a breeze . Some say it's refreshing ! :)

Gigabyte
2010-Dec-28, 07:14 PM
Oh yeah! 43 degrees F! It's the record high for the last three weeks! Yay! A warm spell! A heat wave!

ABR.
2010-Dec-28, 07:18 PM
Whew! Great ball of fire gone now. Clouds and rain have returned. I guess the world's not ending after all.

Swift
2010-Dec-28, 07:22 PM
Whew! Great ball of fire gone now. Clouds and rain have returned. I guess the world's not ending after all.
\Katy Perry singing\
Cal-i-forn-ia girls are pale and clammy....

Buttercup
2010-Dec-28, 07:56 PM
We've got this HAZY situation going on. I think it's a mixture of naturally wispy clouds mixing with dozens of airline exhaust contrails (the past 4 days, before most airports were paralyzed by current weather). It's this ghastly half-light of dull grayness which is ugly. I'd rather it be CLOUDY or SUNNY.

No rain. For going on 3 months now. We need it.

Otherwise calm, mostly sunny today (I guess because airliners aren't flying due to massive snow/blizzards elsewhere - which is a pity of them of course), temp is probably 60 F. I do like the warmth, but wish (again!) for clouds and rain. We're "supposed to" get that this time of year anyway.

Oh well. Maybe by May of 2015...

danscope
2010-Dec-29, 03:16 AM
Rain would be a not-so-good thing here. At least we can move the snow and get ready for the next storm.
On a bright note: The re-built carburetor for the 8HP Techumseh started on the first pull . Gee, I guess I did it right !
Snow removal exceptionale . Ah.... the wonders of technology and clean petrol . Yes , they run better with pure petrol ...sans water , ANY water .
Still runs a little rich . Careful leaning by experiment will perhaps cure that , improve mileage , and performance .
Anyway , the snowthrower is mightier than the shovel . :) Supposed to warm up... a little . 30 degrees with a breeze , and the snow is presently where it should be .

Dan

Buttercup
2010-Dec-30, 03:46 PM
Mostly overcast with thick clouds. Might be snowing (or soon will be) over mountains to the east (approx 10 miles away). A bit breezy. Temp probably 55 F. I hope we get RAIN out of this, here in the valley. We are forecast to get wind gusts up to 70 mph! Blizzard-like conditions forecast for two large mountain regions to our NE and NW (both roughly 70 miles distant).

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-30, 04:09 PM
Snow here in the Puget Sound Convergence Zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puget_Sound_Convergence_Zone). Not a lot, and it should be gone today if predictions hold, but still the 3rd fall of the winter. Curse you, La Nia!

I guess I shouldn't complain, seeing what things are like back east!

danscope
2010-Dec-30, 06:55 PM
We don't need no steeenkin snow!

Buttercup
2010-Dec-30, 07:26 PM
Completely overcast now. Temp is probably 50 F. Wind gusts have come as forecast: VERY windy, probably sustained 45 mph with even stronger gusts. Wind chill is probably 38 F. Still no rain though. Usually if it's windy here, there'll be no rain. :cry:

tlbs101
2010-Dec-30, 08:39 PM
Today was the first day, since moving to rural New Mexico, that I have had to drive on Interstate-40 during a snowstorm. My normal 1.2 hour commute was over 2.5 hours this morning.

The major snowfall that was supposed to hit Albuquerque at noon turned out to be a big bust.

By this evening the roads should be more passable, but I'll still be coming home to several inches of snow.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-30, 09:00 PM
...wind gusts so strong two wires slapped together apparently, and briefly knocked out power. Had to reboot computer. That was 1/2 hour ago. Winds diminished for now. Still cloudy. No rain in sight. :(

Trebuchet
2010-Dec-30, 09:46 PM
I should have mentioned in my post that the snow was yesterday. Today is gorgeous, clear and sunny. It's a bit on the cold side but I can live with that. There's even a decent space station pass this evening. Perhaps I'll haul the telescope out on the deck and see what else I can see.

Buttercup
2010-Dec-30, 10:06 PM
It's snowing/raining! YAY!!!!! :D

Haven't seen rain in MONTHS. :) :dance:

p.s.: Winds gone. It's more snowing now than rain. Beautiful!

danscope
2010-Dec-31, 05:10 AM
Good! Some rain in season is a good thing.
I've got 27 F. Wind calm and no snow. We have quite enough for now . :)

Dan

Atraveller
2011-Jan-04, 01:19 AM
A lovely 27 C and another forcast for more rain...

(spent part of the christmas holidays helping a friend sand bag her place to prevent the flooding from getting in... And the Big Wet is forcast to continue another three months...)

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-04, 02:09 AM
A lovely 27 C and another forcast for more rain...

(spent part of the christmas holidays helping a friend sand bag her place to prevent the flooding from getting in... And the Big Wet is forcast to continue another three months...)

More like 27F here the past couple of days. But bright and sunny. Not usual conditions for winter here, but I'll take it.

Atraveller
2011-Jan-05, 02:57 AM
It's official, 2010 was the wettest year on record for Queensland.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/annual/qld/summary.shtml#recordsRainTtlHigh

(atleast it is always a warm rain... )

Spoons
2011-Jan-05, 07:15 AM
Yeah, looks pretty wet over your way. We finally got some rain today here too, so we're enjoying cooler weather, though pretty muggy now.

danscope
2011-Jan-06, 05:08 AM
Hi, Getting colder. 21 F with a light breeze , maybe snow friday . Hmmmm.....
Clear skies tonight .

Dan

danscope
2011-Jan-06, 11:52 PM
Hi , 19 , perhaps a few inches of snow promised tomorrow . Good weather for my Outback .

Atraveller
2011-Jan-07, 03:11 AM
It's still raining - heavy at times - building ark....

Temp is still 28 C

schlaugh
2011-Jan-10, 04:17 AM
Snowing like mad! North Georgia (i.e. Atlanta) is in lockdown for the next two days.

danscope
2011-Jan-10, 04:52 AM
@ Atraveler: When building an ark, use pegs. Nails erode quickly. The pegs swell and hold well, good for 40 days and nights anyway. :)

We've got 25F with wind at 13 mph out of the NW . Good viewing . Chilly what .
Best regards,
Dan

danscope
2011-Jan-10, 04:55 AM
@ schlaugh
My sympathy . You don't usually get all that much snow . This is darned inconvenient . May warmer weather return soon .

Dan

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-10, 02:57 PM
@ Atraveler: When building an ark, use pegs. Nails erode quickly. The pegs swell and hold well, good for 40 days and nights anyway. :)

We've got 25F with wind at 13 mph out of the NW . Good viewing . Chilly what .
Best regards,
Dan

Just being pedantic, or something: Those pegs are called "treenails". Pronounced "trunnels". Thus exhausting my knowledge of wooden shipbuilding.

Trace of snow here in the GNW yesterday, more expected Wednesday. We're still very well off compared to much of the country.

danscope
2011-Jan-10, 07:26 PM
Hi Trebuchet, Yes, they were fond of taking a square peg and planing four sides to get an octoganal peg which they would Drive into a round hole. You bet that it would surely stay put!.
Got 30 F with a NW ind blowing 12 mph. Awaiting 14 inches + of snow . Not exactly punkin chunkin weather . :)
Just so long as it isn't that sticky snow that just cloggs up my snow thrower ! :(

Dan

Atraveller
2011-Jan-11, 02:11 AM
Just being pedantic, or something: Those pegs are called "treenails". Pronounced "trunnels". Thus exhausting my knowledge of wooden shipbuilding.

Trace of snow here in the GNW yesterday, more expected Wednesday. We're still very well off compared to much of the country.

Thanks to Danscope and Trebuchet for the ark building hints - I will need them...

It is still raining - 8 people died overnight when they got caught in the flooding - 72 more are missing.

The dam (Wivenhoe) which keeps Brisbane from being flooded will exceed capacity tomorrow morning. Brisbane is already being flooded due to the rain and a king tide - which peaks tomorrow (just in time for the dam to breach.)

Paradise is distinctly soggy - and it is now getting a little dire. The river is only focast to rise 6 meters, but that is without the dam breaching... Don't know how high it will go if that happens... Could be a lot of people swimming in the next day or so ( if I could just finish the ark...)

danscope
2011-Jan-11, 02:42 AM
Egads ! Perhaps a smaller boat just to get started . Good luck, friend. We will be thinking of you .

Dan

Buttercup
2011-Jan-11, 03:23 AM
Much of the same: Sunny, occasional high wispy clouds, dry. A bit breezy at times. Average daytime high the past week roughly 57 F.

A cool front is moving down. Our expected low tonight will be 22 F, and high tomorrow of 45 F.

Still needing rain. :(

Atraveller
2011-Jan-11, 03:53 AM
They just announced that they have opened the flood gates of the dam to keep it from breaching.

This means Brisbane, which is already flooding will have much higher floods.

They have ordered the evacuation of the city. There is mass grid lock of cars trying to leave for higher ground. I'll try to get out in a few minutes, and will try to post from my laptop.

I really wish I had finished that Ark...

ABR.
2011-Jan-11, 04:00 AM
Good luck, Atraveller -- I wish you were having the weather of this Paradise instead.

Spoons
2011-Jan-11, 09:36 AM
I'm awful sorry to hear that, Atraveller. I'm wishing mighty hard for safe passage for you and your people over there.

And secondarily, I really hope any damage and financial burdens due to this are minimal for you. All the best mate.

Torsten
2011-Jan-11, 10:32 AM
They just announced that they have opened the flood gates of the dam to keep it from breaching.

This means Brisbane, which is already flooding will have much higher floods.

They have ordered the evacuation of the city. There is mass grid lock of cars trying to leave for higher ground. I'll try to get out in a few minutes, and will try to post from my laptop.

I really wish I had finished that Ark...

Best wishes to you.

I will now stop complaining about -31C, and the snowstorm I drove through two days ago in the mountains to bypass the rockslide on the main road that I normally use for my return from the coast.

Atraveller
2011-Jan-12, 12:10 AM
Thanks ABR. Spoons, and Torsten. My feet are still dry (staying with a friend on the Gold Coast.)

The peak of the water will be at 3 pm (local time) It is expected to flood 22,000 homes, and many of the streets in Brisbane are closed due to flooding. The power company is shutting off power to parts of the city (about 100,000 homes will be without power.)

Tomorrow around 4:30 pm it will be worse.

And right now the rain has stopped - it is a bright sunny day and 29 C.

jokergirl
2011-Jan-12, 09:31 AM
Glad to hear you're all right!
Any updates on the situation? The pictures on the news look quite apocalyptic, though not in the way you expect from apocalyptic Australia!

(here, it's snowing again after a few days of plus degrees. Yay, snow on ice!)

Spoons
2011-Jan-12, 09:50 AM
Forty degrees C plus here today. I've got to go walk the length of the project I've just moved onto, and I'm really hoping for a cooler day (Friday might be a chance) to do so. I reckon I'll have to have a pub lunch that day though, I doubt it'll get as low as 24C like I heard predicted.

Buttercup
2011-Jan-12, 05:17 PM
Terrible, what's going on in Australia! :( My sincerest sympathies.

Today we're cool, probably 45 F. Heater kicking on every 20 minutes or so (have it set for 55 F). Lots of thick hazy and wispy clouds. Calm; no breeze. We do still need rain (should be halfway through our rainy season by now), but likely will not get any. Australia, feel free to send some our way...

swampyankee
2011-Jan-12, 05:28 PM
After hearing about the weather and floods in Queensland, I'm again rather glad I only have New England weather to complain about: a few degrees below freezing, a little wind, and about 12 in (30cm) of snow, drifting to about 30 in (75cm). I won't have to rebuild, just shovel.

danscope
2011-Jan-12, 10:55 PM
Hi, About the same here . 12 to 16 , with a wind . Howls a bit . Drifting snow in places as the wind responds to certain architecually generated vortices . Yes.... drifting. Got it dug out . Now it's 23 F. Still blowing 15 MPH and better . Probably qualifies as a blizzard in some spots .
At least I'm up country . Not easy in the cities. Where do they put the snow ?
Ah.... time for some hot cider ..... and a cookie .
Best regards,
Dan

Hornblower
2011-Jan-13, 12:03 AM
It is cold and windy, after about an inch of snow last night. For the second time this winter we have been spared by storms that got going big time just northeast of here. After last winter's "Snowmageddon", I can empathize with you folks in New York and New England.

Xelebes
2011-Jan-13, 12:32 AM
It's snowing again. I'm going to take a guess that it is -23C out there.

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-13, 12:50 AM
2-4" of wet snow this morning, which combined with temperatures in the 40's F has made things a slushy mess. But compared to Oz and much of the USA we've got it great. I won't complain.

People from other parts of the USA often comment that they don't know how we can stand the weather here. What they don't realize is that aside from being gray and drippy a good portion of the time, it's really very mild. In over 40 years, I've never seen it below 10F and we only hit 100 once, a couple of years ago. It rains frequently but seldom rains hard -- our total rainfall is less than most of the Midwest. No hurricanes. Tornadoes are extremely rare, and small. Lightning is also rare. Snow happens just a few times a year and is generally gone in a couple of days. And the summers (July 5 to August 31) are very nice.

Spoons
2011-Jan-13, 02:52 AM
We do still need rain (should be halfway through our rainy season by now), but likely will not get any. Australia, feel free to send some our way...

We'd be pretty darn appreciative just to get some of it over this side of the country. Dams are at 30% right now, while they're overflowing in much of the east. Apparently they're expecting 100mm of rain today in South Australia too. I can't see it getting across here though.

Atraveller
2011-Jan-13, 04:51 AM
Spoons, if it was in my power I would happily send you half of all our rain. That would leave us both with more than enough.

Today is a bright sunny day, with a high of 29 C, and lots of brown water all around.

And we have some half-wit of a weatherman cheerfully giving us his long range predictions of a cyclone hitting South East queensland in about two weeks. (apparently there is an intense low forming in the coral sea.) So we may have to go through all of this again in two weeks (may his nostrils be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.)

danscope
2011-Jan-13, 05:20 AM
Serves him right! .... May his beltbuckle burn him. Huh.... and may his nose itch! :)

CJSF
2011-Jan-13, 05:25 AM
Terrible, what's going on in Australia! :( My sincerest sympathies.

Today we're cool, probably 45 F. Heater kicking on every 20 minutes or so (have it set for 55 F). Lots of thick hazy and wispy clouds. Calm; no breeze. We do still need rain (should be halfway through our rainy season by now), but likely will not get any. Australia, feel free to send some our way...

Your inside temperature is set at 55 F? Wow, now that's fortitude.

CJSF

Atraveller
2011-Jan-13, 06:07 AM
Your inside temperature is set at 55 F? Wow, now that's fortitude.

CJSF

Apperently flowers keep better if they are chilled.

or perhaps Buttercup is conditioning herself for living in Canada? (she did have a thing a while ago for Hayden Christiansen)

geonuc
2011-Jan-13, 10:35 AM
Having lived in SE Queensland, the flooding hits close to my heart. My best wishes for all who live there.

Buttercup
2011-Jan-13, 02:46 PM
Apperently flowers keep better if they are chilled.

Keeps the heating bill down. And I don't mind sitting here in a windbreaker.

or perhaps Buttercup is conditioning herself for living in Canada? (she did have a thing a while ago for Hayden Christiansen)

Past tense?? That's always PRESENT tense. I'll only be in Canada if he proposes marriage. :D Oh wait...I'm already married. :shifty: Sorry to break your heart Hayden! You will get over me in time (now don't go and do anything crazy because we can't be together).

Sun has just cleared the mountain range 10 miles east. Looks like a clear, cloudless day ahead. Temp currently probably 40 F. It's the 4th sunny January since 2006. After being born/raised in the Midwest, it still seems weird. We used to get lots of clouds and rain here (since I moved here in 1992). January is supposed to be cloudy with precip in North America. :eh: Or so I thought.

danscope
2011-Jan-13, 07:30 PM
Not a bad day. Clear, 29 F with a stiff breeze . A little more shoveling so the cat can come and go . Persistent little fellow that he is.

Dan

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jan-13, 10:21 PM
We've had thaw for the last week or so. Apparently here, winter started early, hit hard, then stopped quite early as well (at least for now).
Not like last winter which lasted until well into April.

Atraveller
2011-Jan-13, 11:56 PM
Anybody want some nice Muck? We have loads of it here...

Nice sunny day and 29 C. Will help dry everything out nicely.

But that cyclone did form in the coral sea. Hopefully it won't come this way... :eek:

Spoons
2011-Jan-14, 09:02 AM
We were looking at that today at work. There are three cyclones all forming or formed up north, one north of WA, one north of the NT and one north east of QLD. Fingers crossed you guys don't cop any of that.

danscope
2011-Jan-15, 05:09 PM
We don't need no muck. We don't need no steeenkin muck ! :)

Atraveller
2011-Jan-15, 11:33 PM
It sure is steeekin muck. The smell has made me revise my list of bad smelling cities...

However, we haven't had any rain in five days now. Things are drying out nicely, and it is 30 C today... And nice and sunny.

danscope
2011-Jan-16, 02:21 AM
Well, high praise for lack of rain .
I've got 29 , clear viewing with a light breeze . A little dusting of snow blew through a couple hours ago..and gone .
Steeenkin muck. Just where do you put it? :o( Have a good scrape .

Dan

Atraveller
2011-Jan-17, 12:28 AM
29 here too... But that would be 29 C. (that would be 84 in the olde armpit scale.)

Most of the muck is just going back into the river where it came from. Good Australian top soil washing out to sea...

And it looks like Cyclone Zelia will pass by about 400 miles to sea...

danscope
2011-Jan-17, 05:03 AM
Well, good job with the storm, and godspeed with the hard work of the ..... muck .The topsoil is a great pity.
You have to do the best you can with what you have.

At present: 12 F , probably less than 10 by morning . Easy wind .
Best regards,
Dan

danscope
2011-Jan-18, 07:12 PM
So.... we got 4 inches of sticky snow with freezing rain . Temperature...29 F . Heavy and incompatible with snowthrower. Ahh...hummm...

Buttercup
2011-Jan-18, 07:15 PM
Sunny. Clear blue sky. Temp is probably 65 F and slowly climbing still. Yesterday our high was 72 F.

CJSF
2011-Jan-18, 07:17 PM
...and we still don't know where Buttercup and Natalie Portman are living...

We have finally had a good number of days nearer to normal temperatures here this past week and weekend. December and the first part of January have been the coldest on record there (though I expect 60 deg highs isn't going to get a lot of sympathy from my Northern friends this year!).

CJSF

danscope
2011-Jan-18, 07:26 PM
60 ? Aye ! You were lucky to have 60 . We had 18 F for the high the other day. 5 when I woke up . :) Enjoy the 60 .

Dan

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jan-18, 09:30 PM
Several days with temps in the 4C range, several with rain.
The snow is disappearing fast, by now it's only the compacted piles by the roadsides which are left.

I'm actually starting to worry that some of the plants in the garden will think it's spring and start budding in time for having a later frost kill off the buds.

swampyankee
2011-Jan-18, 11:34 PM
Just above freezing and raining here. Of course, I also have the matching sinus headache. :weep:

Trebuchet
2011-Jan-19, 12:03 AM
...and we still don't know where Buttercup and Natalie Portman are living...

And the link to "My beautiful city (the view from my front window)" is a 1x1 pixel png file. Tough to get much info from one pixel.

Raining here, as might be expected.