Which was better:

ST II: The Wrath of Khan

or

STVI: The Undiscovered Country

I know ST II will win hand down, but...humor me

R.A.F.
2003-Oct-14, 11:16 AM
I know ST II will win hand down, but...humor me

I think that your correct...well, at least i voted for it.

Funny story, (just to show how dopey I can be sometimes).

The first time I saw this movie, I somehow missed Spock's line..."hours could seem like days". Those I was with didn't miss it...just me. So, later, when Kirk whips out his communicator and says..."It's been 2 hours, Spock are you ready" and Spock answers with..."right on schedule"...Well, it was one of the BIGGEST SURPRISES that I've ever had watching a movie. Kinda dopey, huh?

Glom
2003-Oct-14, 12:47 PM
I have to say II. Though it is quite a close call. VI was very good.

Mainframes
2003-Oct-14, 01:32 PM
I have to say II. Though it is quite a close call. VI was very good.

I'm with you on that one. II is my favorite but I also did like VI a lot too. And let's be honest the scene at the end of VI when they finally hit the BoP with the tracking torpedo and then effectively give Chnag the finger is priceless. 'Target that explosion and fire!'. BOOOM!

Wally
2003-Oct-14, 02:48 PM
The thing both have in common, and something I've stated from the day the first movie came out many years ago. . . Star Trek's main character is NOT Kirk, Spock, et al. It's the Enterprise!! Any show and/or movie where the Enterprise kicks butt is a winner by me.

Jason Thompson
2003-Oct-14, 07:12 PM
Oh, how to choose?!

Star Trek VI is a fantastic film. The final battle (nicked almost wholesale for Nemesis) is fantastic. The torpedo hit that blew a hole clean through the saucer elicited a "Bloody hell!" from me and my mate the first time we saw it, and the plasma seeking torpedo was a marvellous touch, watching as it inevitably homed in on Chang's ship. And the ending is unashamedly emotional, with Kirk's final log entry and the signiatures of all the cast wrapping up the film. And of course, "if I were human, I believe my response would be, 'go to hell.' If I were human."

But then Star Trek II has Ricardo Montalban stealing every scene he's in, so this one comes out on top. And the bit with Reliant's prefix code is one of the best scenes in Trek ever, fact.

BTW, I loved hearing Ricardo Montalban being interviewed on the Special Edition DVD and saying that TWoK was one of the hardest jobs he's ever done. Not because of script complexities or complicated plot details, but because he and Shatner never had a face to face scene, he had to deliver lines dripping with hatred and bitterness in response to Kirk's lines being read by a young female production assistant with the sweetest little voice he had ever heard! Priceless!

Mainframes
2003-Oct-15, 10:09 AM
And of course, "if I were human, I believe my response would be, 'go to hell.' If I were human."

I quite like:

Kirk: Everybody's human.
Spock: I find that remark....insulting!

dgruss23
2003-Oct-15, 10:49 AM
II was probably better. But IV was definitely funny. You gotta love Checkov being interviewed on th aircraft carrier.

Doodler
2003-Oct-15, 02:55 PM
I went with two, because the story was the star of the movie, and it was incredible. Amazingly, I had not seen Space Seed prior to ST II, so going back and seeing Khan's first appearance tied a whole lot together for me.

Star Trek VI was a sincere and appreciated redemption of the original series after the ST V debacle. It was a great swansong for the cast, letting them go out as a group the way they came into it with Star Trek's original run, absolutely on top of the game.

Both movies have in common something that just has not carried over into the Next Generation movies, scope. Next Gen movies have always seemed paced like they were hour long episodes with some excess material. Original series movies managed to build independant stories into them, even Star Trek I managed to layout some non-plot oriented character development with the character's interactions that TNG just fell absolutely flat on. Not that the cast lacked talent, just the cinematography kept the stories on a faster and more constant metronome setting, rarely letting things slow down long enough to integrate those character moments, and even then, they were so short they felt like they were contrived (specifically, Generations and Data's new emotion chip, that whole thing just felt artificial, if you'll forgive the pun).

ToSeek
2003-Oct-15, 03:01 PM
II was probably better. But IV was definitely funny. You gotta love Checkov being interviewed on th aircraft carrier.

"Which way to the nuclear wessels?"

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-15, 05:00 PM
McCoy: Can't you see that this woman has an acute case of post-prandial abdominal spasm?

cyswxman
2003-Oct-16, 07:49 AM
I'd have to favor II, though I really enjoyed Spocks attempts to "swear" in IV :lol: :lol:

Mainframes
2003-Oct-16, 09:49 AM
I'd have to favor II, though I really enjoyed Spocks attempts to "swear" in IV :lol: :lol:

'The hell I do!'

Glom
2003-Oct-16, 10:06 AM
"One damn minute, Admiral!"

kucharek
2003-Oct-16, 10:09 AM
A little bit like comparing apples and oranges (in German, we compare apples and pears...).

II is the somewhat the best "villain" movie, IV is the best "easy-going" movie and VI the best "political" movie. Somewhat "First Contact" manages to take all into a very well balanced movie.

Harald

tuffel999
2003-Oct-16, 08:23 PM
"Thar be whales here captain"

Doodler
2003-Oct-16, 08:46 PM
SACRELIGE!!!!! :o The correct quote:

"Cap'n, thar be whales here!"

My favorites:

Pilot, "You fly?"
Sulu, "Oh, here and there."

Or:

Scotty, "... I've come millions of miles..."
McCoy, "Thousands"
Scotty, "Thousands of miles..."

Or:

Scotty to the mouse, "Helloooo computer!"

Trek IV is in a class all its own, I don't think there's another Trek movie that can come even close to it. That was probably the best the original cast's chemistry has ever been. There was a lot more that was originally written in that became a part of the book that would have made the movie three hours long and even more hysterical.

pmcolt
2003-Oct-16, 09:07 PM
IV had it all. A mysterious alien visitor, a jab at late 20th century life, plenty of comedy, and the legendary Enterprise crew saving the Earth once again.

Kirk: He was part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. I think he did a little too much LDS...

Gillian: Let me guess; you're from outer space.
Kirk: No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.

tuffel999
2003-Oct-16, 09:12 PM
SACRELIGE!!!!! :o The correct quote:

"Cap'n, thar be whales here!"

Is it damn. I am rewatching it now but I haven't gotten that far into the movie. OOPS :oops: #-o :oops: #-o :oops: #-o

dgruss23
2003-Oct-16, 11:13 PM
Its been a long time. I really need to watch that movie again. The more quotes you bring up, the more I realize it was even funnier than I remember it being. :lol:

Tessera
2003-Oct-17, 12:48 AM
"I love Italian..., and so do you."

Star Trek IV is by far the most fun of the movies. I have to watch it regularly, although when a new ST movie comes out I have to watch *all* the movies. It is a COMMITMENT.

I don't know if I could choose between II and VI. My favorite after IV is First Contact. I can't watch Wrath of Khan too often because of the worm in Chekov's ear scene. Yuck. Got to fast forward through that. Generations was a disapointment except for crashing the ship.

cyswxman
2003-Oct-17, 05:49 AM
Well, that's double dum*** on you!!! 8)