PDA

View Full Version : Holly man has his leg stolen.

Frog march
2007-Dec-14, 11:01 AM
Police in southern India are hunting for two men who attacked a Hindu holy man, cut off his right leg and then made off with it.
The 80-year-old holy man, Yanadi Kondaiah, claimed to have healing powers in the leg.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7142920.stm

James Randi should look out for any strange $1m prize applications.:think:

eta: holly-holy, I am definitely going to spHell now :shrug:

mfumbesi
2007-Dec-14, 12:15 PM
News just in...Any one who pays off all my debt will be granted immortality..any takers.

NEOWatcher
2007-Dec-14, 12:50 PM
If it had so much healing power, maybe there's enough left for it all to grow back. :think:

Moose
2007-Dec-14, 01:32 PM
Apparently someone intends on running the Cow Level. I didn't know Wirt was a Hindu name.

torque of the town
2007-Dec-14, 01:33 PM
Lets hope no body bought him a pair of slippers for Christmas :(

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Dec-14, 01:53 PM
No! No! Not the leg!

Matherly
2007-Dec-14, 02:14 PM
Apparently someone intends on running the Cow Level. I didn't know Wirt was a Hindu name.

Ahem. There is no cow level. :dance:

(Hmmm... I havn't played Diablo II in a while. Mayhaps I'll rectify that. Moo!)

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Dec-14, 06:28 PM
Police in southern India are hunting for two men who attacked a Hindu holy man, cut off his right leg and then made off with it.
The 80-year-old holy man, Yanadi Kondaiah, claimed to have healing powers in the leg.
The leg isn't going to do them any good. The healing powers came from Mr. Kondaiah's patented Transcendental Kick of HealingTM to the patient's posterior chakra. :D

mike alexander
2007-Dec-14, 08:34 PM
I thought it was going to be some sort of Christmas story, what with a holly man.

Fazor
2007-Dec-14, 08:37 PM
Moral of the story: If you're going to make up some story about how you can heal with magic powers, attribute those magic powers to something you wouldn't mind losing.

Oh, by the way, my left sideburn is what grants me my ability to control nearby dogs, wallabies, and women (unfortunately, I can only control them to act as they normally would).

Maksutov
2007-Dec-14, 10:14 PM
I thought it was going to be some sort of Christmas story, what with a holly man.For transcendental healing effects one can't beat an SATB rendition of "The Holy and the Ivy". It goes right to the teeth of the matter and is in a league of its own.

Or as the famous bowler Robindranath Gupta remarked on seeing the striker step into the batting crease, supported by a device made out of a shrubbery, "Holly prosthetic, Batsman!"

mike alexander
2007-Dec-14, 10:22 PM
Holly holy leg
Dream of only you
Where I am, what I am
What I believe in
Holly holy

Holly holy leg
Wanting only you
And she comes
And I run, but more like hopping
Holly holy

Van Rijn
2007-Dec-14, 10:31 PM
Moral of the story: If you're going to make up some story about how you can heal with magic powers, attribute those magic powers to something you wouldn't mind losing.

I have a deceased holy computer monitor that improved my vision (I certainly can see the new screen better). I was going to take it to the electronics recycling center, but I suspect someone else might benefit by this holy object. Actually, I'd be happy to point out a few other holy objects.

Maksutov
2007-Dec-14, 10:35 PM
My holiest relic is kept safely refrigerated.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5643/cheeseqs6.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cheeseqs6.jpg)

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-14, 11:49 PM
Poor guy. Well, at least he will have quite a leg-acy!

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Dec-15, 05:17 AM
What profiteth a man to be holy and lose his leg? ;)

Maksutov
2007-Dec-15, 05:30 AM
I bet when the guy realized he had lost his Leg, he used some strong Language!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/a025.gif

publius
2007-Dec-15, 05:30 AM
This reminds me of a Ray Stevens song where he steals the girl of a guy with a peg leg. For good measure, he takes the wooden leg to prevent Peg Leg from chasing him, but.....

"Oh I'm a three legged man with a two legged woman, being chased by a one legged fool. Ohhhhhh, he's hoppin' and he's cloppin', but he shows no sign of stoppin'. I tell you boys this life is hard and cruel."

But, it turns out that he made a mistake at the end. Peg Leg finally shouts "I know ya meant to take the one that was wooden, but in the dark, by mistake, you took my good 'un." And finally he tells him he can keep the blamed ol' woman, just give him back the leg!

-Richard

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-15, 07:16 PM
"Oh I'm a three legged man with a two legged woman, being chased by a one legged fool. Ohhhhhh, he's hoppin' and he's cloppin', but he shows no sign of stoppin'. I tell you boys this life is hard and cruel."
But, it turns out that he made a mistake at the end. Peg Leg finally shouts "I know ya meant to take the one that was wooden, but in the dark, by mistake, you took my good 'un." And finally he tells him he can keep the blamed ol' woman, just give him back the leg!
He got a real leg confused with a peg leg and he's calling the Peg Leg guy a fool?

Noclevername
2007-Dec-15, 08:48 PM
He got a real leg confused with a peg leg and he's calling the Peg Leg guy a fool?

Yes, that's the joke.

publius
2007-Dec-15, 11:42 PM
And the usage of "fool" here is in the sense from whence the phrase "acting a fool" comes and describes someone who is hollering and screaming, jumping around and stomping, and acting like a lunatic. Such behavior would be understandable if not justified if someone had just stolen your significant other and your good leg to boot.

Don't be like my mother who is bad to miss a joke because she analyzes the details and logical structure to death, taking things too literally and demanding they be logical. :) That is a streak that runs in the women on her side of the family, many of whom were stern English teachers and strict grammarians. Drives us men nuts.

She absolutely cannot appreciate any surreal, illogical, or slapstick humor because of it.

For example, and this may be before the time of some of you young 'uns, which I can't believe as time is flying so, my mother *loved* the original Bob Newhart show, the one where Suzanne Pleshette played his wife and he was a pyschologist, but hated the second Newhart show, the one where he was the inn keeper in Vermont.

Me, I liked the second one the best by far. She didn't like it because it was just too surreal and wacky. Green Acres is another of my favorites, absolutely surreal and clever, but with a hick layer on top. My mother despised that too, even more because of the hick bent.

-Richard

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-16, 12:06 AM
And the usage of "fool" here is in the sense from whence the phrase "acting a fool" comes and describes someone who is hollering and screaming, jumping around and stomping, and acting like a lunatic. Such behavior would be understandable if not justified if someone had just stolen your significant other and your good leg to boot.
I got that that was the joke, I just wanted to say it again, it was so good.