PDA

View Full Version : How many countries have an active space program?

Duane534
2003-Jul-09, 07:04 PM
I'm making a dedication page for my website (mainly because I didn't have any content to add), and I need to know how many countries (and which ones, duh) have space programs. You can see what I've got so far here (http://freedownloads.f2g.net/dedic.html).

[edit:]
If the Bad Astronomer feels it necessary to move this to a different forum, that's his choice. I know it's very loosely astronomyical. I just wish I could get my $*#@ BBS to work on my site so I could feel like God. :D

sol_g2v
2003-Jul-09, 07:09 PM
I assume we're only talking about countries with their own independent launch capability. Off the top of my head, I can say US, Russia, India, China, Japan, European Space Agency (lots of countries).

Duane534
2003-Jul-09, 07:11 PM
I remembered the great country of Europe at the last second. :wink:

man on the moon
2003-Jul-09, 07:12 PM
glad you have challenger, but i wonder...do you mean the columbia as well?

(sorry, i don't know much about international space programs :cry: )

looks good so far, keep it up! (i look forward to seeing this site :) )

Duane534
2003-Jul-09, 07:13 PM
Whoops! *does quick update before everyone sees that*

I even put in the victims of the "Apollo 1" fire for good measure. Yeah, I know it wasn't Apollo 1, but if I said the victims of the Apollo 14(?) test fire, no one would know what I meant.

Argos
2003-Jul-09, 07:43 PM
I assume we're only talking about countries with their own independent launch capability. Off the top of my head, I can say US, Russia, India, China, Japan, European Space Agency (lots of countries).

Brazil is joining the club (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6485). The first Brazilian Complete Space Mission is due to be launched in August, with a Brazilian rocket lifting a Brazilian satellite from the Alcantara Space Base.

TriangleMan
2003-Jul-09, 08:26 PM
If you believe UFO kooks then Bermuda must have had an active space program since the 40s because all those ships and planes have gone missing. :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-10, 12:04 AM
We don't have launch capability, but we do work very closely with NASA. (Canadarm, Canadian astronauts, those satellites we're sending up).

So anyway, Canada has a space agency, but not launch capability.

Argos
2003-Jul-20, 04:12 PM
Did you know Iraq had a space program?

http://www.spacetoday.org/Rockets/Spaceports/LaunchSites.html

BigJim
2003-Jul-20, 04:16 PM
Israel has a space program and has launched several satellites into space since 1988.

Pinemarten
2003-Jul-20, 06:47 PM
We don't have launch capability, but we do work very closely with NASA. (Canadarm, Canadian astronauts, those satellites we're sending up).

So anyway, Canada has a space agency, but not launch capability.

When daVinci wins the Xprize tomorrow, we're in!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-20, 06:53 PM
Excellent! :D

BigJim
2003-Jul-20, 07:14 PM
I read a humorous article on a space program started by one of the African countries in the 1960s but I can't find it now. The astronauts were trained by being rolled down hills in barrels, and they tried to finance it by selling stamps to the United States.