PDA

View Full Version : Astrology doesn't work -- shown scientifically

Kullat Nunu
2007-Mar-29, 12:50 PM
Love not in the stars (http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/index.htm?id=108695)

Lonely hearts who turn to horoscopes to find their perfect partner are wasting their time, according to the largest test of astrology ever carried out.

Dr David Voas from The University of Manchester said that zodiac 'love signs' have no impact on our chances of marrying and staying married.

The Senior Research Fellow at the University's Centre for Census and Survey Research analysed the birthdays of all 20 million husbands and wives in England and Wales.

The investigation using 2001 census data failed to reveal any evidence of attraction between star signs.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-29, 02:11 PM
Actually, astrology has already been tested scientifically here on this board, there's nothing new there.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-29, 02:22 PM
Actually, astrology has already been tested scientifically here on this board, there's nothing new there.
I agree with that, and would probably consider it for my "study means...nothing" thread.

But, with the general acceptance of astrology, I say, keep drilling it it, wake-em-up.

Fazor
2007-Mar-29, 03:00 PM
Yeah, that's right up there with "Sun found to cause sunburn" and "Lack of oxygen can be fatal" ;)

Last night my girlfriend was explaining how aside from having a "sign" (i.e. taurus, scorpio, etc) that they're also grouped into "elements" (Hey baby! I'm a water! let me put out your fire! LoL). My only comment was, "Well, I guess when you're just making stuff up you can do whatever you want".

Serenitude
2007-Mar-29, 03:42 PM
I've long predicted this would be proven.

antoniseb
2007-Mar-29, 03:53 PM
I've found that in my part of the country it is best to plant peas when the Sun is in the first part of Aries. I've also found that streams and rivers in my area tend to flood when the sun is late in Pisces. I also find that I'm happier if I go to sleep before the Sun is in the fourth house. These are all pretty reliable evidence that some parts of astrology work. I'm not a big supporter of the influence of the planets though.

CJSF
2007-Mar-29, 03:55 PM
I've found that in my part of the country it is best to plant peas when the Sun is in the first part of Aries. I've also found that streams and rivers in my area tend to flood when the sun is late in Pisces. I also find that I'm happier if I go to sleep before the Sun is in the fourth house. These are all pretty reliable evidence that some parts of astrology work. I'm not a big supporter of the influence of the planets though.

LOL! That just cracks me up!

:)

CJSF

Gillianren
2007-Mar-29, 09:44 PM

And if you look at the state of human knowledge 3000 years ago, it totally made sense that, if things like that could be predicted, so could other things. As more knowledge is acquired, however, the belief makes less and less sense.

Peter Wilson
2007-Mar-29, 11:33 PM
Dr David Voas from The University of Manchester said that zodiac 'love signs' have no impact on our chances of marrying and staying married.
Dr. Voas is a Virgo, who are famous for their skepticism :rolleyes:

trinitree88
2007-Mar-30, 01:10 AM
A difference of opinion makes a horse race.:shifty: :lol:

Occam
2007-Mar-31, 08:58 AM
I think it's all rubbish.
That's because I have the scientific, analytical mind that is the mark of the Aquarian.

torque of the town
2007-Mar-31, 03:54 PM

WOW! if you wrote an astrology column, I would buy that news paper:dance: