PDA

View Full Version : how can a disconnected number call you?????

Chunky
2006-Jul-21, 03:21 PM
ok look. i just got a phone call. it rung 2 times, i answered it and they hung up. i called the number back and it said " de de de, this number has been disconnected or no longer in service. if you feel you have reached this message in error please check the number and call again" i called 1411 and i told them the story and gave them the number, he said they had no info on the number at all. what gives?????

the number is 6364117234

i dont think i broke a rule by posting a phone number because it doesnt belong to anyone....its disconnected.....i called them back as soon as they hung up. this is crazy, any thought??

follow up. i called my phone provider and the woman tried the nuber and she got the same thing. i asked if she has ever heared of this happening, she said no. she also said it could have been a telemarketer wityh only out bound called. thats not possable. a telemarketer wouldnt have hung up after two rings, the wouldnt get their point across...this is odd

PetersCreek
2006-Jul-21, 03:56 PM
I can think of a couple of possibilities.

First...since telemarketers are evil incarnate...perhaps it was an unscrupulous TM with some kind of device or software that spoofs caller ID. I don't personally know if such exists but wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they do.

Second...maybe it was just a phone system glitch. Strange things sometimes happen. My wife once tried to call my cell number and reached a completely different number...even though her call log indicated she'd dialed correctly. That momentarily led to a somewhat uncomfortable "So, who was that woman who answered your phone?" conversation...but my call log showed no incoming call from her.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jul-21, 05:20 PM
So did your phone capture that number as a caller ID? Or is it from human memory?

Reason I ask is that it is easy to block an ID, but giving a wrong ID would be more than the usual tricks a telemarketeeer would employ. Not to mention there is very little incentive for them to give a wrong ID as opposed to none at all. From what I know of routers and switches, it would be very difficult, if possible at all, to fool the telephone companies equipment into thinking it got the call from a number other than where the call came from.

So unless the number was captured, thereby offering proof that you should have the number that dialed your phone, I'd chalk it up to human error.

Chunky
2006-Jul-21, 05:27 PM
So did your phone capture that number as a caller ID? Or is it from human memory?

Reason I ask is that it is easy to block an ID, but giving a wrong ID would be more than the usual tricks a telemarketeeer would employ. Not to mention there is very little incentive for them to give a wrong ID as opposed to none at all. From what I know of routers and switches, it would be very difficult, if possible at all, to fool the telephone companies equipment into thinking it got the call from a number other than where the call came from.

So unless the number was captured, thereby offering proof that you should have the number that dialed your phone, I'd chalk it up to human error.
its on my caller ID it wasnt a telemarketer. they have to speak to sale there products. they didnt hang up because i answered to late because i answered on the second ring

Frog march
2006-Jul-21, 07:49 PM
Telesales dont always speak.
WHen they ring you they have it set up so a computer rings you then if you pick up the computer connects you to a telesales person, if no telesales person is available then the computer just hangs up.

Jeff Root
2006-Jul-21, 08:19 PM
What Frog March said. I get lots of calls where the phone rings, I
answer, and there is nothing. After a couple of seconds, it hangs up.
I assume that most or all of them are telemarketers whose computers
have dialed the next number in the queue, but the phone slaves are
all busy polishing their toenails at that moment, so the computer
hangs up the phone. I don't have caller ID, but on those occasions
when I have used caller ID, telemarketers often had it blocked.

Also, as your phone provider said, telemarketing phone numbers
are now almost always outgoing-only. And the computer is the only
entity allowed to dial out.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

ToSeek
2006-Jul-21, 08:52 PM
If I get a call, pick up the phone, say hello, and hear nothing, I hang up quick because I know I'm about to be connected to a telemarketer. (If it's a real person with poor reflexes, then they're welcome to try again.)

Gillianren
2006-Jul-21, 09:01 PM
If you hang up before they talk to you, at least on the system at my old place of employment, you get bumped down the queue to be tried again. In our case, sometimes the computer connected the customer first, and sometimes it connected the "phone slave" first. It also wouldn't have been blocked by those things they sell to block telemarketing calls, because it wasn't exclusively a computer call, which is all those things block.

Again, the best thing to do is to ask to be removed from the call list. If you're already on the federal DNC list, ask for details and turn them in to the Better Business Bureau, I suppose.

ToSeek
2006-Jul-21, 09:13 PM
Actually, we've gotten to the point where we screen our calls: we don't pick up the phone until we hear someone start to leave a message. There are a few exceptions to this when we know somebody is trying to call us, but even then about half the time it's not that person but a telemarketer.

jrkeller
2006-Jul-21, 10:11 PM
During the primaries here early this year, I got 2-3 dozen calls from 000-000-0000. Eventually, I gave in and answered. It turned out to be Tom Delay's campaign staff calling. I told them that they would probably have better luck reaching people, if they used their actual number, because the 000-000-0000 number looks like a scam number.

One of the phone company tech told me that there was a way to make your phone number look like another number.

Lurker
2006-Jul-22, 12:46 AM
I get that all the time... I just figure it is the NSA... :shifty:

yuzuha
2006-Jul-22, 01:01 AM
I remember several times when I was moving, and had my old phones disconnected, that there was an interval of a week or two where I could call out on my old number but nobody could call in to it, until they finally removed dial tone from my old line. They probably just remove the router to the phone and leave the dial tone connected 'til some little guy with a punch down tool gets a work order to physically disconnect the line (kind of handy too in case you have an emergency while you are moving). Probably all digital number translation in large offices now, but there's probably still a lot of old hard wiring out there.

jimsquires
2009-Jan-22, 06:26 AM
Today at 7:28 PM, I recieved a call from 508 947 4418. It was a missed call and when I called the number, it was a disconnected number. I did a web search and got this site.

jimsquires
2009-Jan-22, 06:37 AM
I once answered the phone and a very irritated voice said, "How did you get this number?" I replied, "The phone rang and I answered it." The voice then was much relaxed and said, "Oh, so did I."

Chuck
2009-Jan-22, 02:25 PM
Wasn't this a Twilight Zone episode? A downed phone line fell across the grave of an old woman's former boyfriend.

Chunky
2009-Jan-22, 03:33 PM
woow. havent seen this thread in a while

Click Ticker
2009-Jan-22, 03:35 PM
You will also get a strange number when a person uses a calling card to call you. I've never called the number back, so I don't know if it would indicate that it was disconnected. I would get a call from Michigan from someone using a calling card, and the caller ID would indicate a Georgia call (or other random state).

JustAFriend
2009-Jan-22, 03:39 PM
This is not the late-1900s when an actual physical wire connection went from the caller to you. Everything at the phone company today is done with computers and, just like the spammer that sends you email from a ghost address, they can be spoofed too.

I used to get a LOT of telemarketer calls.... but then I put an answering machine on my land-line and told everyone I knew that I would NEVER answer the phone directly; if they wanted to get me on the land-line they HAD to leave a message and I'd either pick-up or call back. For months I got 'hang-up' calls as the telemarketer's machines disconnected as the answering machine picked up. Then.... nothing..... blessed silence. They've given up and left me alone since.

(All my close friends and family have my cell-phone number and they know they can get me directly on it. It is illegal in my state for telemarketers to call to a cell-phone and I will not answer to an unknown caller id on it, too....)

STOP being a Pavlov's dog and jumping for the phone every time it rings. A ringing phone does NOT require you to answer it immediately.....

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jan-22, 03:46 PM
We don't get many telemarketers anymore but when I would get one I would ask them if they could hold for a minute and I promised them that I'd be right back. Then I laid the phone on the counter, with the open call, and went about my business for the next fifteen minutes or so. They never stayed on the line that long. :) I figured since they were wasting my time, I'd waste some of theirs.

(I know, they are just people trying to make a living. Well, they need to get a better job)

Fazor
2009-Jan-22, 03:47 PM
STOP being a Pavlov's dog and jumping for the phone every time it rings. A ringing phone does NOT require you to answer it immediately.....

My friends and family all get upset because I never answer my phone (only have a cell phone, no land line). I have it on me at work during the day, but at home and on the weekends, I only keep it close if Tara (g/f) isn't home. If she is, then anyone else can leave a message.

I don't get why people think I should be available 100% of the time to answer them at thier whim. That's what Tara's phone is for--call her :)

Chunky
2009-Jan-22, 03:48 PM
i dont have a phone

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jan-22, 03:49 PM

My friends and family all get upset because I never answer my phone (only have a cell phone, no land line). I have it on me at work during the day, but at home and on the weekends, I only keep it close if Tara (g/f) isn't home. If she is, then anyone else can leave a message.

I don't get why people think I should be available 100% of the time to answer them at thier whim. That's what Tara's phone is for--call her :)

I'm with you. You described my wife! She will almost kill herself to get to the phone to answer. :)

Moose
2009-Jan-22, 03:57 PM
[Edit: Meh. I failed to notice this was a necromanced thread. I'm going to leave this post up intact because it explains what jimsquires experienced, in case it wasn't sufficiently covered before.]

First...since telemarketers are evil incarnate...perhaps it was an unscrupulous TM with some kind of device or software that spoofs caller ID. I don't personally know if such exists but wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they do.

User-selected caller-id is a "feature" of ISDN lines. A "feature" telemarketing companies use as a matter of routine to spoof their origins.

One of the scam outfits up here that routinely defy the do-not-call list will self-identify as either 000-000-0000 or 121-212-1212. Take caller-id with a grain of salt.

The ring and hang up behavior is a "feature" of the autodialers that telemarketers use. Suppose you have 8 telemarketers ready for a new call. The autodialer might dial 32 people. The first eight to answer get the pitch. The remaining 24 get hung up on.

Whirlpool
2009-Jan-22, 04:21 PM
The ring and hang up behavior is a "feature" of the autodialers that telemarketers use. Suppose you have 8 telemarketers ready for a new call. The autodialer might dial 32 people. The first eight to answer get the pitch. The remaining 24 get hung up on.

Yeah , that's the technology of Call Centers right now.

Chunky
2009-Jan-22, 04:23 PM
Yeah , that's the technology of Call Centers right now.
hi jean

Click Ticker
2009-Jan-22, 07:03 PM

I've often found myself reminding people that I own a phone for my convenience, not the caller's.

mugaliens
2009-Jan-22, 07:31 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that the telemarketer's equipment is simply set to answer with, "You have reached a number that is disconnected or is no longer in service..."

Moose
2009-Jan-22, 07:41 PM
It's not impossible, Mugs, certainly they _can_ set up an answering machine to jerk people around that way, but it really isn't necessary if they're looking to avoid response. Their ISDN lines gives them the ability to broadcast any number they like, or none at all.

But in 2000 (or maybe early 2001), I missed a call and the caller id gave a plausible looking number. I called it back (thinking it might have been one of my clients), explained who I was, and the guy immediately started the telemarketing pitch I'd missed. It makes sense, they were trying to reach as many people who would listen, and here's a potential sucker who actually calls on his own dime. Why not?

Trebuchet
2009-Jan-22, 09:06 PM
The ability to spoof caller ID was originally set up so that companies could send out a common number regardless of which line was actually calling. For example, I have a specific phone number for my work phone but if I call you, caller ID will show the central switchboard number. That's a legitimate use but of course the scammers and telemarketers have taken advantage of it. I've heard they'll buy a cheap cell phone, program their system with the number, and just lock the phone in a drawer.

And are there still people who haven't signed up for the DNC registry? It's amazingly effective. They just need to extend it to charities, surveys, and political calls.

closetgeek
2009-Jan-23, 05:26 PM
Telesales dont always speak.
WHen they ring you they have it set up so a computer rings you then if you pick up the computer connects you to a telesales person, if no telesales person is available then the computer just hangs up.

Even better is when they call you and a computer tells you to please hold for an important call.

Fazor
2009-Jan-23, 05:47 PM
And are there still people who haven't signed up for the DNC registry? It's amazingly effective. They just need to extend it to charities, surveys, and political calls.
I tired to sign up our office (and by that, mean did sign up our office) but apparently the DNC registry does not apply to businesses. I think that's crap; when you call me at home, you're annoying. When you call at work, you're taking up a phone line and a person who is getting paid by the hour, thus costing the busniess moeny and resources.

SeanF
2009-Jan-23, 07:55 PM
I had an odd thing happen the other day - well, it has a reasonable explanation, but it was sure odd at the time. Our home phone rang, and when I looked at the caller ID, I thought, "That's my cell phone number!"

I picked up and answered, thinking that maybe I had lost my cell and whoever found it was dialing the "Home" entry from the contact list, but at the same time reached into my pocket - and there was my cell phone.

There was nobody on the line, of course, and when I got my phone out of my pocket it showed an active call to my home number. So I hung up both phones.

The last call I had made was to home, so somehow the "redial" function got activated while the phone was in my pocket. It's a flip phone, though, and it was closed, so there weren't any keypresses going on. I figure the buttons on the side of the phone must have a "redial" sequence.

I don't know what the deal is. I've several times set off the panic alarm on my automobile keychain while it was in my pocket, too.

NaeNae
2010-Jan-07, 05:52 PM
We don't get many telemarketers anymore but when I would get one I would ask them if they could hold for a minute and I promised them that I'd be right back. Then I laid the phone on the counter, with the open call, and went about my business for the next fifteen minutes or so. They never stayed on the line that long. :) I figured since they were wasting my time, I'd waste some of theirs.

(I know, they are just people trying to make a living. Well, they need to get a better job)

that so freakin funny... I think I'll so that the next time someone calls

NaeNae
2010-Jan-07, 06:00 PM
Well I've been receiving the same strange calls from a local number, (always a different number though). And this is where I ended up for answers... I like the theories, and especially the one about the machines being prompted to say something to an answering machine. Maybe next time one calls I'll let the machine pick it up, but the problem is that..like another theory on here...they are calls from local cell phone numbers. I hate when ppl hang up on me, gees at least say hey sorry got the wrong number. I've had all kinds of thoughts about this, but I'm glad it might just be telemarketers, lol..Well thanks for the answers..now I have to go see what kind of forum I signed up on, lol

NaeNae
2010-Jan-07, 06:21 PM
wow ok I know I wasn't suppose to answer again, but this time I did..and someone was actually there...asked for my aunt. And when I told him she was gone to the doctor he (blank) hung up on me...so I tried to call back, cos I'm evil about talking to ppl's manager...guess what...the number is disconnected..oh but I was gonna say that the first call that I recieved like this actually had a name with it, instead of unknown caller. Which is what got my mind wondering in the first place. Why would it still have a listed name with the number...so ppl can look them up and call them, lol...

Chuck
2010-Jan-07, 06:45 PM
Even better is when they call you and a computer tells you to please hold for an important call.

When that happens I say "Hello" few times before hanging up so if anyone is listening they'll think I didn't hear their recording.

Fazor
2010-Jan-07, 06:48 PM
When that happens I say "Hello" few times before hanging up so if anyone is listening they'll think I didn't hear their recording.

I just hang up. Or say, in response to "Please hold." I'll sometimes say, "No thanks.", in case anyone can hear it. I don't think that they do, though.

cran
2010-Jan-07, 08:42 PM
not so much these days, but in the pre-broadband (and pre-callerID) days I used to occasionally get fax machine or dial-up computer connection noises when I'd answer a call ...

and after a spate of [silence] type calls, I'd contacted my phone co to "report nuisance or harrassing calls" ... was later told it was most likely autodialers looking for phone-linked computers - ie, hackers ...

Chuck
2010-Jan-07, 10:37 PM
I used to get fax attempts on a voice line at work, and of course a fax machine would try five times before giving up.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Jan-07, 10:49 PM
that so freakin funny... I think I'll so that the next time someone calls

Nah, don't do that. I'm more tolerant now. And this is due to other threads here where some folks, who have been telemarketers, told us how they are just people trying to make a living. I wasn't being very understanding and the few seconds it takes to be courteous is so much better than what I used to do. Live and learn.

Lianachan
2010-Jan-08, 12:19 AM
If I don't know the number, or couldn't have a stab at who it is, then I ignore it. If it's that important, they'll leave a message. I'm registered with the UK "Telephone Preference Service", and mentioning that is always enough to discourage any salespeople who do inadvertantly get through. Which isn't many.

UK people, I encourage you to register.

NaeNae
2010-Jan-08, 04:51 PM
Nah, don't do that. I'm more tolerant now. And this is due to other threads here where some folks, who have been telemarketers, told us how they are just people trying to make a living. I wasn't being very understanding and the few seconds it takes to be courteous is so much better than what I used to do. Live and learn.

I try not to be too hateful with these ppl cos I used to work for a company that required me to call and do a sales pitch. And a lot of times if they dont' get someone to buy, then they don't make money. Other companies actually get paid by the hr, and bonus for so many sales. But it's still funny. I do get hateful with them though if they get hateful first, esp if my kids are in bed. Cos some of them will call from different time zones, and then spill that ** about how they can legally call until 9, of coarse I have to tell them they're stupid and need to know their time zones in not so many nice words.

aurora
2010-Jan-08, 05:39 PM
There was an article in a magazine I was reading yesterday about scams. There is a company that was caught altering recordings. They would trick a client into saying the word "yes", by asking some simple question, like, is your name so and so? Or, would it be OK if we mailed you a brochure? And then they would alter the recording to make it sound like the person had agreed to sign up for whatever they were selling, they would then send a letter that looked like junk mail that would have the agreement in fine print (hoping that the person would just toss it out unopened), and then they would start billing. They usually went after businesses, hoping that charges would just be paid without anyone checking into it.

The corp executives are being tried in court.

So, I guess it is best just to hang up without saying anything to a telemarketer.

rommel543
2010-Jan-08, 05:49 PM
The issue can also come up if someone is transferring their phone number from one carrier to another. My ex-wife was transferring her number from the local carrier to Vonage. Vonage gave her a temporary number to use in the interim, but when she called me it came up with her original phone number. When I called it back I go the "number is not in service" message.

Gillianren
2010-Jan-08, 06:06 PM
I try not to be too hateful with these ppl cos I used to work for a company that required me to call and do a sales pitch. And a lot of times if they dont' get someone to buy, then they don't make money. Other companies actually get paid by the hr, and bonus for so many sales. But it's still funny. I do get hateful with them though if they get hateful first, esp if my kids are in bed. Cos some of them will call from different time zones, and then spill that ** about how they can legally call until 9, of coarse I have to tell them they're stupid and need to know their time zones in not so many nice words.

I don't know about where you worked, but where I worked, the computer did all the calling. It's true that they can't call after nine in your time zone, but if someone where I worked at, it still wouldn't be their fault.