PDA

View Full Version : Brief Mention of the BA in Stanford Medical Magazine

TriangleMan
2006-Jun-26, 12:43 PM
I haven't seen this on the board yet but I happen to come across a mention of the BA in Stanford Medical Magazine (http://mednews.stanford.edu/stanmed/2006summer/evo-main.html). The recent issue had a special on evolution/creationism.

Researchers and academicians continue to express concern about future attacks on science and science education. At this year’s annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in St. Louis, speakers urged colleagues to reach out to the public, school boards and legislators whenever science is threatened by religious zealotry.

“Right now, the bad guys have better advertising, and the scientists are failing,” said conference speaker Philip Plait, PhD, an astronomer-educator at Sonoma State University. “You’ve heard them complain about activist judges. Be an activist scientist. Let them complain about that.”

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Jul-04, 05:01 AM
Yeah, thanks for posting that. I did mention it in the blog in passing a week or so ago. I had a lot more to say than that (shock) but that's what they used. I was pretty revved up at that meeting.