PDA

View Full Version : Neutrinos relativly

2002-Jan-09, 07:25 AM
Neutrinos Standing Still

Can any one explain nuetrino characteristics when ( or if ) they are stationary at the Earth's surface? Particularly, could they exist in groups? ( when not whizzing past detectors close to C )

DO neutrinos react to stimulation from from radiation? If so ( given stimuli to be any spectral make up from ROY to BIV at 1 joule/sec ) , could the result be a white band from ROY to BIV approaching 1 joule/sec.

As logic probably conclude there is no explanation for the above conjecture,please share any thoughts about Nuetrinos
as they pervade everyday *HomoSapien time & space.

*HomoSapien Radiate.

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-09, 08:13 AM
You will not find neutrinos "standing still" or even moving at anything less than very near the speed of light. If they are massless, they move at the speed of light. Even if they do have mass, it is so small that any energy imparted to them at their creation is enough to bump them up to a speed just below that of light. They retain this speed until they interact with matter (via the weak nuclear force) and are destroyed.

Simon
2002-Jan-09, 10:02 AM
Hunh, I was just about to ask...

Is the Sun's neutrino deficit still a mystery? I remember reading an article in Scientific American or something that said it might be accounted for because the detectors only detect one kind of neutrino (electron I think it was) and they change types on the way from the Sun to the Earth.

Lemme see if I can search that article out...

Ah yes, here it is:
http://www.sciam.com/news/062001/3.html
So is there more evidence for this, or is it still just a theory?

frenchy
2002-Jan-09, 08:34 PM
The solar neutrino problem isn't solved but the oscillation hypothesis (the change from one flavor to another) seems to be the only way to reconcile experiments and the models.

Recently the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory claimed that their data analyzed with the Superkamiokande experiment's data provides strong evidence for the neutrino oscillations.

Although there is ample room for adjustments of the models in solar physics and particle physics, the general solution to the solar neutrions problem seems pretty much set now.