PDA

View Full Version : Astronomers push for observatory on the moon

RMallon
2002-Jan-06, 01:24 AM
Just stumbled across this at CNN. No doubt this isn't a new idea, - I've read about lunar based observatory ideas over the years. Would sure love to see something like this to go thru, on a international scale.

Randy

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/01/05/lunar.observatory/index.html

(CNN) -- Hoping to tune into wavelengths of the universe that have never been heard before, a number of scientists have recommended the construction of a radio telescope on the dark side of the moon.

>snip

It will give us a completely new view of the universe," gushed Yuki David Takahashi, an astronomer at the University of Glasgow in Scotland, in a Web site dedicated to enlisting support for a lunar observatory.

==============
A link to his site:

http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/yuki/

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-06, 11:09 AM
There was some recent discussion (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=284&forum=2&24) here at the BABB about this. I like the comment about funding coming from "NASA, the European Space Agency or another major government institution." That's pretty open-ended, don't you think?

If they're going to get it done in 15 years, they better step to. I'm pretty sure that they could use tourist dollars to do it--but they're going to need an associated spa with a view of the earth. Imagine it, the Earth from the moon would have four times larger radius than the moon or sun, viewed from Earth.

John Kierein
2002-Jan-06, 12:32 PM
I presented a paper suggesting just such a long wavelength, low frequency observatory on the moon to the AIAA Astrosciences section about 10 or more years ago. I had some correspondence with a NASA group interested in such antennas. Let's keep the idea alive! Reber's observations were very difficult to make, but the results are astonishing, with the low frequency sky looking like the negative of the visible. I was suggesting a cheap approach, just using very long wires radiating from a lander. This may not have been the best.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jan-07, 04:28 PM
Note that the CNN article used to say "dark side" of the Moon; I emailed them and they have corrected it to say "far side". /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-07, 04:36 PM
Good, and the article is now dated January 7, 2002, 8:48am EST. Looks like we just read the article too soon.

John Kierein
2002-Jan-07, 04:52 PM
I see little advantage to locating such a telescope on the farside. It may help to avoid terrestrial interference, but it requires a lunar satellite to relay the data to earth.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-07, 05:05 PM
Or about 2500 km of surface links, and a down-link, right there at the spa. The price would probably be a small portion of the total cost.

Russ
2002-Jan-07, 07:55 PM
I bet there'd be a couple of real nice creaters on the far side of the Moon that would be perfect for setting up an Arecebo like installation. It'd be relatively cheap as I bet you could build it from local materials as the towers would not have to be as strong due to the lower gravity and no wind, rain or other atmospheric concerns.

Let's go ahead and do it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Azpod
2002-Jan-08, 02:34 AM
On 2002-01-07 14:55, Russ wrote:
I bet there'd be a couple of real nice creaters on the far side of the Moon that would be perfect for setting up an Arecebo like installation. It'd be relatively cheap as I bet you could build it from local materials as the towers would not have to be as strong due to the lower gravity and no wind, rain or other atmospheric concerns.

Let's go ahead and do it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Well, there's only one way that building something that awesome (and costly) would happen: lots of lobbying local politicians so that they cough up the $$$. Something like that would almost certainly have to be an international effort. However, it'll have to be done better than the ISS; I have a feeling that some of our international partners are feeling a little burned now that we are planning on scaling back the station to save some cash.

2015? I doubt it. The technology is there, but we need the political will to go. Heck, we can't seem to get anyone to agree to go ahead and send a human to Mars. I keep hearing "20-40 years down the road..." Well, I heard that in 1980, shouldn't it be "0-20 years" by now...? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

To everyone who likes the idea of an observatory on the Moon-- write whomever represents you, in whatever nation you're in. (Unless you live in a nation where doing that will get you brutally killed, at which point I'll agree that you have more important things to worry about!)

"No bucks, no Buck Rodgers." -- loved that movie.

--Azpod... Formerly known as James Justin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azpod on 2002-01-07 21:38 ]</font>