PDA

View Full Version : Is anything being done to build these?

Mason Dixon
2005-Sep-11, 03:13 PM
Just came across this site http://www.nuclearspace.com/a_liberty_ship.htm

......while many you have prolly already been there and done that, its new to me, and i thought it was very good article on a promising new(sorta) technology. Does anybody here know if nasa is doing anything about looking into these rockets? The site appears to have been created in 2001 area and not much activity/updates have taken place with the forum over there recently.

gopher65
2005-Sep-11, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure I would want to live next to the launch site of a gas-core fission reactor rocket:P. Nasty. It actually mentions in the article you linked that it would be as bad as Chernobyl if it blew up. It also says that the only reason Chernobyl was bad is because it was a surprise. Not true at all. Imagine 10 pounds of used nuclear material over say, Miami.

EDIT: Also the author states that 40 people died in Chernobyl. This is an outright lie. Between 4000 and several hundred thousand people died or will die in the future from cancer linked to Chernobyl (the varying figures depend on which projections you believe. At least 4000 though).

JonClarke
2005-Sep-12, 04:27 AM
EDIT: Also the author states that 40 people died in Chernobyl. This is an outright lie. Between 4000 and several hundred thousand people died or will die in the future from cancer linked to Chernobyl (the varying figures depend on which projections you believe. At least 4000 though).

Saying 40 people died in the Chernobyl accident is fairly accurate. It is certainly not a lie. Less than 40 power station and mergency workers died in the accident and immediate fire fighting, some 10 or 12 more have died since then, bringing the total to 50. Nine children have died of thyroid cancer. Total deaths to date are less than 60. Final deaths over a generation from radiation induced illness may reach 4000, but is not expected to exceed this.

Ironically mental health related illnesses over unneccessary concerns and relocations have probably done more harm than radiation.

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/Focus/Chernobyl/pdfs/ChernobylForumFINALPR.pdf

Jon

diddidit
2005-Sep-12, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure I would want to live next to the launch site of a gas-core fission reactor rocket:P. Nasty. It actually mentions in the article you linked that it would be as bad as Chernobyl if it blew up. It also says that the only reason Chernobyl was bad is because it was a surprise. Not true at all. Imagine 10 pounds of used nuclear material over say, Miami.

So don't launch it near Miami. Launch it from a floating platform near the equator (more specifically, in the Doldrums - the weather there is relatively benign) in the Western Atlantic or Western Pacific. You're away from people who are scared of the nulear boogeyman, and you get the maximum boost from the rotation of the planet. Sign me up!

did

antoniseb
2005-Sep-12, 09:38 PM
Does anybody here know if nasa is doing anything about looking into these rockets?
I'm pretty sure that NASA doesn't have any funded efforts this year looking at building giant nuclear bomb powered "rockets". They are pretty much focused on smaller pieces of the picture. Some of the curent research grants might be leading towards things like the smelting and manufacturing process in the moon or asteroids, which could ultimately lead to space-based assembly of this giant. Other projects are certainly looking at reduction of radiation exposure to people in a craft for deep-space missions.

I don't think that we will be trying to make any 10,000 passenger Ark-ships until long after we get the space elevator working. I suspect we'll have a few clever ideas and techological break-throughs having to do with propulsion methods before then.

JonClarke
2005-Sep-12, 10:12 PM
So don't launch it near Miami. Launch it from a floating platform near the equator (more specifically, in the Doldrums - the weather there is relatively benign) in the Western Atlantic or Western Pacific. You're away from people who are scared of the nulear boogeyman, and you get the maximum boost from the rotation of the planet. Sign me up!

did

Obviously you are unaware of the deep hostility of the people of the Pacific to nuclear testing. Given their history I don't blame them.

Jon

diddidit
2005-Sep-13, 12:15 PM
Obviously you are unaware of the deep hostility of the people of the Pacific to nuclear testing. Given their history I don't blame them.

Jon

Stay away from them, then - last time I checked, the Pacific was a rather large ocean. I'm suggesting a floating platform, something along the lines of an oil drill rig. This isn't a destructive event, in any case - no fallout, no disappearing island, no mushroom cloud.

did