PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the ignominy!

Wiley
2002-Oct-04, 04:05 PM
Yes, fellow board members, it's that time of year. The 2002 Ig Nobel prizes (http://www.improbable.com/ig/2002/ig-winners-2002.html) were awarded last night. Alas, this year there was no award in astrophysics (How could you top 2001 winners Jack and Rexella Van Impe for discovering that "black holes fulfill all the technical requirements to be the location of Hell", anyway?). However, Arnd Leike won the physics prize for "demonstrating that beer froth obeys the mathematical Law of Exponential Decay".

Bad Engineer
2002-Oct-04, 04:15 PM
Actually, that periodic table .. eh, table is pretty neat

I love the Economics one, too:

The executives, corporate directors, and auditors of Enron, Lernaut & Hausbie [Belgium], Adelphia, Bank of Commerce and Credit International [Pakistan], Cendant, CMS Energy, Duke Energy, Dynegy, Gazprom [Russia], Global Crossing, HIH Insurance [Australia], Informix, Kmart, Maxwell Communications [UK], McKessonHBOC, Merrill Lynch, Merck, Peregrine Systems, Qwest Communications, Reliant Resources, Rent-Way, Rite Aid, Sunbeam, Tyco, Waste Management, WorldCom, Xerox, and Arthur Andersen, for adapting the mathematical concept of imaginary numbers for use in the business world. [NOTE: all companies are US-based unless otherwise noted.]

BE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bad Engineer on 2002-10-04 12:17 ]</font>

Jim
2002-Oct-04, 05:09 PM
...adapting the mathematical concept of imaginary numbers for use in the business world.

Isn't this what Fastow was just arrested for doing?

Wiley
2002-Oct-04, 09:50 PM
On 2002-10-04 13:09, Jim wrote:
...adapting the mathematical concept of imaginary numbers for use in the business world.

Isn't this what Fastow was just arrested for doing?

Another glaring oversight by the Ig Nobel committee.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

g99
2002-Oct-04, 10:15 PM
hmmm.. Very funnay, and i think cool. It will inspire all of those science fair kids to do something with all of those leftover pizza boxes they have.

What does ig award stand for?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-04, 10:39 PM
On 2002-10-04 18:15, g99 wrote:
What does ig award stand for?
Do you mean what's it mean in the dictionary? (Ame.Her.Dic) Ignoble - adj. 1. Not noble in quality, character, or purpose; base or mean

AgoraBasta
2002-Oct-04, 11:24 PM
ig-no-ble (ig noh'buhl) adj.
1. of low character; mean; base: ignoble purposes.
2. of humble descent or rank.
[1400-50; late ME < L ignobilis unknown, inglorious = in- IN- 3 + OL gnobilis (L nobilis) NOBLE]
Derived words
--ig no-bil'i-ty, ig-no'ble-ness, n.
--ig-no'bly, adv.

heliopause
2002-Oct-05, 04:11 AM
I think this...

"PHYSICS
Arnd Leike of the University of Munich, for demonstrating that beer froth obeys the mathematical Law of Exponential Decay. [REFERENCE: "Demonstration of the Exponential Decay Law Using Beer Froth," Arnd Leike, European Journal of Physics, vol. 23, January 2002, pp. 21-26.]"

...is an extremely important paper. As a homebrewer, I'm happy to know that my beer adheres to the laws of physics. I can't wait until I publish my paper on how I brewed Anti-beer. I'm sure all of the CERN folks will find that amazing. Although I still haven't figured out how to make Anti-beer stay around long enouh to taste it...

[edited to remove overexuberant typos]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: heliopause on 2002-10-05 00:12 ]</font>