PDA

View Full Version : FTL communication

zrice03
2004-Feb-20, 01:06 AM
I was reading about an experiment done on quantum entangled particles and how fast they changed, relative to each other (I am sounding like an idiot because I read it long ago, and only remember a little detail). The basic result was that there must have been some sort of communication between them that travelled at least 10,000 times the speed of light, which was the experiment's limit, and may have been instantanious. Could something like this be used to communicate faster than light?

TheThorn
2004-Feb-20, 01:34 PM
Apparently, it can.

If you happen to be a quantum entangled particle.

Which I'm not.

;)

TheThorn
2004-Feb-20, 01:56 PM
OK, I have to appologize for the flippant answer. It was just my "thorniness" coming out. I'll try to control that better in the future. And I'll probably fail...

But, if I understand correctly, it is things like moment of decay that are synchronized in entangled particles - somhow, the fact that the one decays is "communicated" to the other faster than c. But since decays are random events that we cannot control, there is no way to use this to pass information faster than c.

OTOH, in my mind it does raise some questions about what I learned of special relativity, which more or less made the term "synchronized" meaningless. Apparently, to entangled particles, it does have meaning. Maybe there's something deeper here that we can take advantage of.

At this point, we need someone who knows something <G>. Which ain&#39;t me.