PDA

View Full Version : Cable Science Network

Haglund
2003-Nov-19, 10:59 AM
Just read in Scientific American about a new cable channel being formed, the CSN (Cable Science Network). They will broadcast science 24/7, with interviews, lectures, book reviews, science road show, and other science shows. I wish I could watch this channel too!

http://www.csntv.org/

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-21, 12:51 AM
Oh cool :D

What a pity I don't live in the US (yet) and dont' have cable LOL

jkmccrann
2006-Mar-12, 09:53 AM
Anyone watch the Cable Science Network? Do they stick to reputable Science or indulge in creative woo-woo based stories?

Sammy
2006-Mar-12, 03:50 PM
Anyone watch the Cable Science Network? Do they stick to reputable Science or indulge in creative woo-woo based stories?

It's still a pland/dream. They are trying to raise money to get on the air.

From the OP's link:

<H2 class=sectionheader>Become a Member:

The Science Network is working to launch an independent, noncommercial 24/7 science network that delivers all science, all the time, to an international audience. The Science Network is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your contributions are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law.
</H2>

jkmccrann
2006-Mar-12, 07:27 PM
It's still a plan/dream. They are trying to raise money to get on the air.

From the OP's link:

[B]</H2>

Still working on it! I'm afraid I don't hold out much hope for them if they're still looking for money. They need to get a big backer in - but then I guess the moment you do that you compromise yourself to some degree given that that person is likely to want to push some sort of agenda if they're prepared to help you in the first place........ :(

2006-Mar-12, 08:37 PM
http://www.csntv.org/
MTV: Originally devoted to music videos, especially popular rock music, MTV later became an outlet for a variety of different material aimed at adolescents and young adults. Typical fare now: The Real World.

Court TV: Originally devoted to coverage of court trials. Typical fare now: Psychic Detectives.

Discovery Channel: Originally known for its a variety of science programming, particularly documentaries and nature shows. Typical fare now: American Chopper.

Just wait till Cable Science Network figures out they can get a few more eyeballs, and corresponding advertising dollars, if only they'd carry a series on mud wrestling.

Melusine
2006-Mar-12, 10:31 PM
Just wait till Cable Science Network figures out they can get a few more eyeballs, and corresponding advertising dollars, if only they'd carry a series on mud wrestling.
Binary Man, I relate to your sentiment, and I'm starting to get worried about The Science Channel* and the National Geographic channel. They were both better at first, just as The History Channel, A&E, and Bravo were better in the beginning. Business is business, unfortunately.

Fortunately Turner Classic movies is still great.

*Tuesday nights space night is good.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Mar-13, 10:30 AM
Fortunately Turner Classic movies is still great.
TCM was good in the beginning, but now they're scraping the barrel for anything to show they haven't shown a gazillion times already.
Good concept, but with a self inflicted limit on how long it's worth looking at.

jkmccrann
2006-Mar-13, 11:54 AM
TCM was good in the beginning, but now they're scraping the barrel for anything to show they haven't shown a gazillion times already.
Good concept, but with a self inflicted limit on how long it's worth looking at.

How have they time-limited themselves? Have they drawn a line through a certain year and decided they'll only show movies made before that date?

If they have done that, are we talking 1960? or perhaps 1963? - Assassination of JFK - end of the immediate Post-War era?

Because, if that is what they've done, couldn't they move that marker forward - perhaps to 1968/69 - The Ascendancy of Nixon.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Mar-13, 01:12 PM
They've limited themselves by showing only old movies (I don't know the exact line they drew) and only MGM (at least that's the only ones I've seen).
From what I remember reading about it, the whole concept is based around Turner's aquisition of MGM's archive of movies and the fact that noone had heard of residuals when those movies where made, so showing them is essentially free.
Newer movies have royalty clauses in the contracts, so showing them costs money, so they don't.

Sammy
2006-Mar-13, 05:13 PM
They've limited themselves by showing only old movies (I don't know the exact line they drew) and only MGM (at least that's the only ones I've seen).
From what I remember reading about it, the whole concept is based around Turner's aquisition of MGM's archive of movies and the fact that noone had heard of residuals when those movies where made, so showing them is essentially free.
Newer movies have royalty clauses in the contracts, so showing them costs money, so they don't.

They definitley do not limit themselves to MGM films. I don't know about the original paradigm, but for at least the past 7 years they have presented a wide range of major/minor studios. They also are showing some 1960s-1990s movies (Unfauthful, with Richard Gere and Diane Lane, for example),thought the later years are still sparse.

I certainly agree about the decline of the History Channel and the disaster area of what was Wings, now the Military Channel. Recycled crap!

jkmccrann
2006-Mar-13, 05:25 PM
Unfaithful! On TCM!

I have to admit, I've never actually watched TCM, but walking past the TV the other day thought I did see Diane Lane - and given the scene thought the movie looked like Unfaithful, but didn't stop to check what channel it was on.

I suppose with a term like Classical you can define that term in a hundred different ways - to suit and balance the budget of course!

Melusine
2006-Mar-13, 06:51 PM

It's heavy up to the mid-60s, but they show movies up to the early 70s; though all of February they were showing Oscar winners, many of which are more recent fare. I like TCM because it shows old movies that I can't get in the video store. I get the Independent Film Channel for newer movies, but I rarely watch that channel. AMC stinks, unless one likes watching movies sliced and diced.

aurora
2006-Mar-13, 08:38 PM
the Science Channel

http://science.discovery.com/

does a pretty good job. It's better than Discovery's main channel.

I get it on satellite.

Sammy
2006-Mar-14, 01:05 AM
It's heavy up to the mid-60s, but they show movies up to the early 70s; though all of February they were showing Oscar winners, many of which are more recent fare. I like TCM because it shows old movies that I can't get in the video store. I get the Independent Film Channel for newer movies, but I rarely watch that channel. AMC stinks, unless one likes watching movies sliced and diced.

The TCM "Month of Oscar" is dynamite, and really gives my Tivo a workout.

AMC is a tragic case. It was great, on a par with TCM, until they announced big improvements -- no intros, frequent commercials, and "classic movies" like Midway with Charlton Heston :wall:

Finally, if they had a Diane Lane channel, I'd have it on 24/7!

Melusine
2006-Mar-14, 01:10 AM
Hmm, tonight on the National Geographic Channel yet again is the 2-hour "UFOs: Seeing is Believing." Right now it's about Stonehenge, then UFOs, then "Crop Circles." Whoopy! :rolleyes:

NGC used to show more animal/travel related shows.

In my TV guide it says for the History Channel tonight: "Comets: Prophets of Doom." Then "Digging For Truth," (whatever that is) and "UFO Files."

We used to call it the "Hitler Channel" because of the H in the corner and because there used to be so much WWII stuff on it.

The Science Channel (Discovery) is a bit better tonight: dinosaurs and ice age survivors.

("There's no doubt we're being visited...." More than 18 million Americans believe the Earth has been visited by ETs"..."I know for a fact it's real...") <---Delusions of abduction. Art Bell is on. :rolleyes: Time to change the litterbox.

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-14, 02:17 AM
They definitley do not limit themselves to MGM films. I don't know about the original paradigm, but for at least the past 7 years they have presented a wide range of major/minor studios. They also are showing some 1960s-1990s movies (Unfauthful, with Richard Gere and Diane Lane, for example),thought the later years are still sparse.I saw Columbia's 1976 The Front this morning.

Sammy
2006-Mar-14, 06:40 AM
We used to call it the "Hitler Channel" because of the H in the corner and because there used to be so much WWII stuff on it.

Darn! I thought my wife invented that!

She now wonders why I never seem to be watching History. I told her it's because they haven't had enuff Hitler footage...

Knowledge_Seeker
2006-Mar-14, 07:00 AM
i hope this is better than the nasa channel. i had so many hopes for it, but it disappointed...... :(