PDA

View Full Version : The greatest villain in Science Fiction

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-31, 09:57 AM
So who is your choice for coolest/badest villian in SF and why?

I'll go with Darth Vader. Hey, I was a kid growing up when I saw the movie and that was before the whole "you are my father" debacle. The James Earl Jones voice, force powers and a glowing laser sword just seem to place him naturally at the top.

That being said, I think Q from TNG is a close second.

Nergal
2005-Mar-31, 01:16 PM
I'll also go with Darth Vader (the Star Wars/Empire pre-"I'm your father" Vader) number one. A cold, calculating, evil-overlord badness.

Close second, the Goa'uld from Star Gate. Technologically advanced, bent on galactic tion, cool glowing eyes and James Earl Jones-ish voices...plus the whole parasite in someones head thing. Baal being the best example. Villainy goodness!

Running third...(and dating myself) Julian Sands from the movie Warlock. He just oozed evil.

Kemal
2005-Mar-31, 01:56 PM
Vader is a good choice.

Will I lose cool points if I name a villain from a sci-fi cartoon? Because I say the greatest villain was the planet-eating Unicron from the Transformers cartoon movie, voiced by Orsen Welles. It was his last role.

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/5587/unicron147zr.jpg

Chuck
2005-Mar-31, 02:38 PM
Kang and Kodos (http://www.luds.net/fond_ecrans/wKang%20&%20Kodos%201.gif)

Ilya
2005-Mar-31, 03:13 PM

I would say not even close. In fact, Q is not really a "villain" -- more like a petulant spoiled brat with an infinite power. Notice that he never killed anybody, although tormented many people in various petty ways.

Chuck
2005-Mar-31, 03:32 PM
Q did drag the Enterprise thousands of light years to meet a Borg cube which killed several crewmen, if I remember correctly. He didn't kill them himself but he put them into a deadly situation.

2005-Mar-31, 03:35 PM
That oil-slick thing that killed Tasha Ya was a bit nasty... :wink:

Jim
2005-Mar-31, 03:39 PM
Lord Vox of Vestron (from The Adventures of Captain Zoom http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112292/ )

Nereth
2005-Mar-31, 04:04 PM
Im going to have to say General Zod (http://www.generalzod.net/).

Jason
2005-Mar-31, 04:13 PM
Vader probably tops my list too. Empire Strikes Back, the best Star Wars movie ever made, was his movie.

I like the HAL 9000 too - the modern Frankenstein's monster. The way in which he kills the helpless three astronauts in hibernation is truly chilling for me.

General Zod is a good villain just off sheer attitude. "I win. I always win. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!"

Sauron is a great villain, even though he never makes an "appearance" in the book.

I like the Mule as well, from the Foundation series. A truly pitiable villain.

Moose
2005-Mar-31, 04:24 PM
Zorak.

Chuck
2005-Mar-31, 04:32 PM
Doctor Smith!

Geo3gh
2005-Mar-31, 04:45 PM
The Master from Doctor Who (the Roger Delgado years especially)

Nergal
2005-Mar-31, 04:46 PM
Doctor Smith!
In the category of "Comic Relief/Semi-Bad Guy", Smith comes in second to Harry Mudd. :wink:

Rich
2005-Mar-31, 05:01 PM
Mr. Morden from B5... he's just so cool and smooth. Always offering that patent "evil smile" at all times, even when he should be really angry. But when that smile drops, or turns into a scowl... LOOK OUT! Someone is going to turn up dead.

Evil with a purpose is just so much fun to watch.

Vader? Meh. Mindless evil. Evil for the sake of evil isn't as interesting.

Charly
2005-Mar-31, 05:07 PM
I liked Dukat from DS9, simply because he was not your average one dimsensional villan.

He is not even necisarily evil, from a pantomime sense. He just does lots of very bad things by action or inaction, and justifys them that it is for the greater good (or what he sees as being the greater good).

erisi236
2005-Mar-31, 05:13 PM
Dr. Smith from Lost in Space. :D

"Spare me the poisonous barbs Major West!"

One Skunk Todd
2005-Mar-31, 05:17 PM
The Mayor from Buffy. Guts you like a trout AND practices good oral hygiene.

Alan
2005-Mar-31, 05:22 PM

I would say not even close. In fact, Q is not really a "villain" -- more like a petulant spoiled brat with an infinite power. Notice that he never killed anybody, although tormented many people in various petty ways.

Q should have turned out to be Trelane from the Squire of Gothos, out to play with the Enterprise after being grounded 50 years for doing it the first time.

TheGalaxyTrio
2005-Mar-31, 05:30 PM
The powers that be running The Village in the series "The Prisoner"

Unseen, unknown, meticulous, intelligent, sneaky and mysterious. They were quite often several steps ahead of our hero.

NUMBER 2: "By the time we finish with him, he won't know whether he's Number 6 or the cube root of infinity."

---

Colussus the computer from "Colussus: The Forbin Project".

COLUSSUS: "Time and events will strengthen my position, and the idea of believing in me and understanding my value will be seen the most natural state of affairs. You will come to defend me with the fervor based upon the most enduring trait in man: self-interest."

---

Dr. Morbius' subconscious creation in "Forbidden Planet".

DR. MORBIUS: "The fool, the meddling idiot. As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell."

---

Honorable mentions:

- The Martians in "War Of The Worlds"
- The rogue planet and star in "When Worlds Collide"
- The society depicted in "Gattaca"
- The System Lords from Stargate SG-1
- Skynet & the Terminators

Ducky
2005-Mar-31, 05:41 PM

Q should have turned out to be Trelane from the Squire of Gothos, out to play with the Enterprise after being grounded 50 years for doing it the first time.

In one of the Star Trek books, Trelane turned out to be Q's illegitimate son, IIRC.

Makgraf
2005-Mar-31, 07:17 PM
For coolest villain I'd also pick with Vader.

For evilest villain in science fiction I'd have to go with Rick Berman.

Kaptain K
2005-Mar-31, 07:19 PM
The Eddorians from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series.

tofu
2005-Mar-31, 07:26 PM
I always thought Breetai was pretty cool. Maybe not Darth Vader cool, but still pretty cool.

http://www.midnightanimation.com/gallery/robotech/zentraedi/character/rt2803.jpg

NoXion
2005-Mar-31, 07:35 PM
It has to be the Shadows from Babylon 5. A bit like Xenomporphs with extra brains and a taste for galactic politics. And their planet killer has to be the coolest superweapon around.

Closely followed by that would be any human villain with a sense of humor.

One Skunk Todd
2005-Mar-31, 07:56 PM
Surely somewhere in the running must be:

http://www.hull.ac.uk/history/dept/images/evilpinkyring.jpg

gethen
2005-Mar-31, 07:57 PM
How about HAL (http://www.2001halslegacy.com/)? Cutting one astronaut loose and refusing to open the pod bay door for another while never once raising his voice or even gloating. Totally amoral.

SeanF
2005-Mar-31, 08:33 PM

In one of the Star Trek books, Trelane turned out to be Q's illegitimate son, IIRC.
Trelane was identified as a member of the Q Continuum, but he wasn't related to Q directly. :)

mike alexander
2005-Mar-31, 08:50 PM
Blackie DuQuesne.

And Ming the Merciless from Mongo, for those in the cheap seats.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Mar-31, 09:30 PM
I checked sites for this
some say Borg Star Trek, others say the Joker, while many think it's Vader but some go for Emperor Palpatine
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14007
http://www.thespacesite.com/community/index.php?showtopic=1145
sci fi bad guy link (http://mboard.scifi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=692869&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Hal 9000 was real bad

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-31, 10:21 PM
HAL was the best I've seen in a movie, really. Its actions are loathsome, yet it invokes a strange sympathy.

For nastiest villain, though, I'd have to go with General Macklan from The Postman. I don't think I've ever seen a character that invoked such incredible loathing in the reader.

And I'll have to throw in a vote for the Overmind again... Ultimate power and ultimate moral ambiguity. Alien horror, savior of Earth, incomprehensible wonder... Take your pick.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Mar-31, 10:39 PM
I humbly place my vote for "no award". There are no great villains in science fiction.

I mean, take Darth Vader. He wears a cape, he's disfigured and he hurts people. Oh, and he's got issues and he finds redemption. Yawn.

In Doctor Who, there was the Master, who was pretty good in his early days. He was fun because he was nowhere near as ruthless as he liked to think he was, and he secretly needed the admiration of the Doctor whom he claimed to despise. But he went off the boil when the original actor died and was replaced. After that he embarked on grand plans that made no sense whatsoever. Then there was Davros, who ranted and ranted and ranted on about how his Daleks would kill even more people than before. And even when he'd been exterminated by his own creations, and left in a corridor for over 1000 years, he still came back and ranted some more.

The thing about SF is that it's generally more interesting when conflict arises from a collision between different motivation, or mutual misunderstandings brought about by cultural differences. By contrast, villains who are bad for the sake of being bad seem a bit childish.

mike alexander
2005-Mar-31, 11:44 PM
Point well taken.

Asimov once wrote that he was told there were no villians in his stories, just people who opposed each other for what they thought were either good reasons or out of stupidity.

Hmmm. The closest I can come to villians of the 'just nasty guys' sort might be the Gerns in The Survivors, or the whomever who fired the neutronium/antineutronium bomb into the Earth in Forge of God.

Charly
2005-Apr-01, 12:08 AM
Warmaster Horus

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-01, 01:02 AM
The Gerns were lame... Too malevolent, too arrogant, too stupid. And the ending of The Survivers was stupid... The Gerns should have come back having not only won the war, but also having become a peaceful civilization, so that the folk on Ragnarok would have to stow their lust for revenge.

(Hmm... The Jarts from the Eon series are also fairly good as morally ambiguous "villains". Is their goal right? Is it wrong? Does it even matter? Or is the problem the way they go about it - do they have a justification for that?)

nomuse
2005-Apr-01, 04:31 AM
I'll take that point about there being "no good villains" in SF. Much as I like a good histronic one (and Vader was one of the better for sheer dark charisma), the facinating ones are those that are ambiguous, as heroic in their way as they are evil; Doctor Doom, or "Blackie" DuQuesne.

With all that said, the most memorable villian I've seen lately in an "associative" work is John Glover's Lionel Luthor. Wonderfully ambiguous, with machinations of so many layers you wonder if even he can keep track of them all, and with all of that a little-boy gleefullness that dares you to let go of morality and follow him.

In a completely different direction, something that is more a "monster" than a "villian"; the gunslinger from West World. Implacable, emotionless, oddly honorable and even "clean," with a purity of purpose that seems untouched by all the horror about him. Briskly and efficiently going about his deadly task with a complete uncaring about what humans might think about it. Not even the various Terminators can compete with him for this alien urbanity.

captain swoop
2005-Apr-01, 10:32 AM
Servalan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/blakes7/servalan.shtml)

A woman crash-lands alone on a hostile planet in the middle of an intergalactic war. She's wearing a spotless, floor-length, white evening gown, pearls, and high heels. Over the next few hours, does she -

A: Cry/plead/get captured and wait patiently for rescue?
Or
B: Have a blistering snog with a wanted criminal, flirt shamelessly with her host's daughter - then steal a weapon, shoot her host in the back, run off, and attempt to start up an arms trade with the natives?

gethen
2005-Apr-01, 01:41 PM
Should have mentioned the Reavers from Firefly, vicious guys who kill in nasty ways but are never actually seen. The monster you never see is all the more frightening for being unseen.

TinFoilHat
2005-Apr-01, 02:52 PM
I find villains who are simply evil for the sake of having a counter for the hero boring. A villain should have plausible and understandable reasons for their actions, rather than simply the "I want to be the evil guy" we see so often.

Princess Kushana from the Nausicaa graphic novels is one of the most interesting characters I've read in science fiction. Fairly clearly presented as a villain in the early part of the story, but during the course of the story turns out to be a quite honorable and reasonable person, driven by understandable reasons to do what she does. By the end of the series you're not sure if she's a villain or a hero. The movie adaptions of the story unfortunatly don't more than scratch the surface of the plot or depth of the character.

gopher65
2005-Apr-01, 03:24 PM
Humoniod Replicators from SG-1 are really nasty. Reavers from Firefly are too.

Umm. Funniest villian? I really like Harry Mudd;).

I think that Darth Vader still gets my top pick though:). Episodes 1-3 not withstanding [-X

teddyv
2005-Apr-01, 11:17 PM
AM, the computer from "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". Absolutely insane and deranged.

Lycus
2005-Apr-02, 05:20 AM
Umm. Funniest villian? I really like Harry Mudd;).
For that category, I'd have to place a vote for The Monarch (http://img143.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img143&image=scr053ht.jpg).

TheGalaxyTrio
2005-Apr-02, 01:56 PM
The movie adaptions of the story unfortunatly don't more than scratch the surface of the plot or depth of the character.

Miyazaki adapted his own magna into the anim when the former was still incomplete. The magna was serialized in Animage from 1982 to 1994. The film was released in 1984, so most of the magna was written after the film.

Ilya
2005-Apr-03, 04:27 AM
.For nastiest villain, though, I'd have to go with General Macklan from The Postman. I don't think I've ever seen a character that invoked such incredible loathing in the reader.

I never read "The Postman", but that's exactly how I felt about Jerry Sigmond in "Dust" by Charles Pellegrino. Utter, unadulterated loathing. Which is what Sigmond is intented to evoke -- Pellegrino firmly believes that some people are simply "born bad", and Sigmond the born psychopath is the epitome of that.

Izunya
2005-Apr-03, 04:53 AM
I don't know how obscure this is, but there is a set of pretty evil-creepy robots in a short story called "With Folded Hands"--and what makes them evil and creepy is that they are absolutely benevolent and altruistic.

In fact, I think a lot of the best SF villains come from the short stories, especially some of the older ones. That child from "It's a Good Life," for example.

Izunya

X-COM
2005-Apr-03, 02:06 PM
I feel that I must defend HAL in 2001. Since I have read the book serie (2001, 2010, 2063, 3001) I know that HAL isn't a villan. A confused computer, yes but not a villan. HAL suffers from contradictionary programming. The real villan in the 2001 story was whoever put those contradictionary instructions into HAL. Read the books and you will see that HAL and Bowman actually becomes best buddies later, thou they both exist in another plane of existance then. The same is also true, to some extent in the Alien movie regarding the android Ash's behaviour, thou Ash is a worse case in my opinion, probably since he is built to mimic a human without the crews knowlege. Bishop, the android in the Aliens movie however makes no attempts to hide his nature thou he does say that he prefer to be called an "syntetic person". I would say that the real villan in the alien/aliens movies are the company that have no regard for human life and are villing to do anything to get their hands on some live alien samples. The monsters themself are not villans in my opionon, they just are....

Darth Vader are cool, I give you that but he is also a victim of the emperors cruelty that made him into what he are. I aways seach for my villans at the top, or at least people with a free will that try to reach the top. This is why I would like to go back to Aliens again, the company man they bring with them, that's a villan in my opinion, and a far more evil and dangeroues then the Alien queen monster herself. The monsters are like tigers or polar bears, not villans, just a hazard you better avoid...

Now there are probably lot's of villans t choose from but unfortanetly, I haven't been able to see much scí fi for years. The cable network that my landlord have contracted don't put much sci fi material in the cable so no sci fi channel for me... :( Sure the other channels send some but not much and almost exclusivly the most well known titles like Star Trek, Star Wars and some ofter re-runned minor movies or like two a clock in the night durin weekdays. They did send some SG1 on one of the channels but I don't think they sent more the one or two seasons...

Jpax2003
2005-Apr-04, 08:50 AM
Darth Vader are cool, I give you that but he is also a victim of the emperors cruelty that made him into what he are. I aways seach for my villans at the top, or at least people with a free will that try to reach the top. This is why I would like to go back to Aliens again, the company man they bring with them, that's a villan in my opinion, and a far more evil and dangeroues then the Alien queen monster herself. The monsters are like tigers or polar bears, not villans, just a hazard you better avoid...How about General Tarkin then? He may be under the Emperor's influence like Vader but he seems to operate on his own and himself ordered the destruction of Alderaan.

One Skunk Todd
2005-Apr-04, 04:15 PM
The Blight in A Fire Upon the Deep.

oynaz
2005-Apr-06, 08:38 AM
Bender from Futurama.

Roy Batty
2005-Apr-06, 02:10 PM
The alien presence/machinery surounding the Earth in The Quatermass Conclusion. Come to think of it, any nasty in the Quatermass series 8)

I was going to mention Blackie DuQuesne but was beaten to it! :)

One Skunk Todd
2005-Apr-06, 05:34 PM
Santa Clausbot from Futurama. :)

http://www.dvd.net.au/movies/f/04019-3.jpg

Lycus
2005-Apr-06, 07:58 PM
"Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!"

Kizarvexis
2005-Apr-10, 02:32 PM
Darth Vader are cool, I give you that but he is also a victim of the emperors cruelty that made him into what he are. I aways seach for my villans at the top, or at least people with a free will that try to reach the top.

You'll like Mr. Morden, from Babylon 5, as a villian then. He willingly works with the Shadows to spread chaos and destruction across the galaxy. Londo, as facilitated by Morden, also makes a good villian. The Vorlons do a good job too.

Kizarvexis

aurora
2005-Apr-10, 03:06 PM
Did someone say E V I L?

http://adisney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/buzzlightyear/cast/images/zurg_main.gif

Evil Emporer Zurg, arch nemisis of Buzz Lightyrear.

Certassar
2005-Apr-15, 11:38 PM
Darth Vader is evil. But he's nothing compared to Emperor Palpatine. Don't take MY word for it, but remember Vader's own words, when assured that Deathstar v.2 will be completed on time: "I hope so for your sake, Commander. The emperor is not as forgiving as I am!". And Vader is not exactly known as a forgiving person.

On the other hand, Luke Skywalker blew up a fully staffed deathstar, which must rate pretty high on an evil-o-meter. :D