PDA

View Full Version : Titan and Poland

Serpens
2005-Feb-08, 11:51 AM
Welcome back!
Maybe some of you remember me. I'm writing again, because I could't stand the Titan nonsense spouted by the Polish TV News Services! I know it's out of date, but I'll post it anyway - just to tell you.
So, here we go.
Number one: quote from a TV News Service. "... then, Huygens will stay on surface and continue research of the PLANET'S surface." I'm pretty sure that Titan can't be considered a planet :o
Number two: one of the TV reporters called the Cassini-Huygens mission "a galactic journey". I never knew that the Galaxy ends on Saturn :-?
Number three: one of the TV reporters called Titan "the most mysterious body in the UNIVERSE". Strange.
Number four: "...Titan is the only moon which has an atmosphere". Untrue. Ganimedes has an atmosphere, though a very tenuous one. Am I wrong?
And, finally, number FIVE: "Titan is the largest moon in the Solar System". LOL! Maybe my knowledge is out-of-date, but Ganimedes is still the largest!

That's all. I hope this gets any comments.
Serpens

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Feb-08, 12:38 PM
So the Polish Tv got the facts wrong but don't worry I think they might have got one or 2 things right

Planet - they might be on track here, as some folks like Planetary Astronomers and Geological scientists have described it like a Planet...even folks at NASA / ESA have described it as such, which kind of opens that debate is more Planet-like than Pluto

Calling it a galactic journey is a bit nuts. I reckon we'd need to travel to other Solar systems first

I doubt very much that Titan is the most mysterious body in the Universe, these guys need to get educated in science. However we know little else of far-away Exo-Planets or Moons in our Universe, hopefully extra solar seeking missions like Kepler and Corot will describe them in better detail and places like Titan will no longer be the most mysterious of worlds.

Very good point on Atmosphere =D> - I also think Triton , a Neptune Moon might also have an atmosphere spotted by Voyager :)

Don't fret too much about the TV getting everything bonkers, from what I've seen on this site the TV getting facts wrong on Astronomy seems to happen very often

Serpens
2005-Feb-08, 12:53 PM
So the Polish Tv got the facts wrong but don't worry I think they might have got one or 2 things right

Planet - they might be on track here, as some folks like Planetary Astronomers and Geological scientists have described it like a Planet...even folks at NASA / ESA have described it as such, which kind of opens that debate is more Planet-like than Pluto

Calling it a galactic journey is a bit nuts. I reckon we'd need to travel to other Solar systems first

I doubt very much that Titan is the most mysterious body in the Universe, these guys need to get educated in science. However we know little else of far-away Exo-Planets or Moons in our Universe, hopefully extra solar seeking missions like Kepler and Corot will describe them in better detail and places like Titan will no longer be the most mysterious of worlds.

Very good point on Atmosphere =D> - I also think Triton , a Neptune Moon might also have an atmosphere spotted by Voyager :)

Don't fret too much about the TV getting everything bonkers, from what I've seen on this site the TV getting facts wrong on Astronomy seems to happen very often

As for the 'planet' thing - this leads to a debacle about what exactly 'a planet' means. I still think that a celestial body has to:
a)Be independent, i.e. do not orbit anything other tha the Sun
b)Have a specific size
I still think that a moon can't be considered a planet - if else, we'd have a LOT of planets. Many moons are larger than Pluto - Ganimedes, Triton (I think), Europa, Io, Callisto, the Moon... am I wrong?

One more thing: I will still freak out when I hear astronomic nonsense from the Polish public media or other sources. Astronomy has been my PASSION for over half of my life, and I just can't stand such a babbling spouted by public reporters! It's just misleading! I might know better, but there are still people not fond on astronomy, and they'll think that Mercury is the smallest and hottest planet in Solar System (see topic 'Polish astronomy...').

Iris
2005-Feb-08, 04:24 PM
Welcome back!
Maybe some of you remember me. I'm writing again, because I could't stand the Titan nonsense spouted by the Polish TV News Services! I know it's out of date, but I'll post it anyway - just to tell you.
So, here we go.
Number one: quote from a TV News Service. "... then, Huygens will stay on surface and continue research of the PLANET'S surface." I'm pretty sure that Titan can't be considered a planet :o
Number two: one of the TV reporters called the Cassini-Huygens mission "a galactic journey". I never knew that the Galaxy ends on Saturn :-?
Number three: one of the TV reporters called Titan "the most mysterious body in the UNIVERSE". Strange.
Number four: "...Titan is the only moon which has an atmosphere". Untrue. Ganimedes has an atmosphere, though a very tenuous one. Am I wrong?
And, finally, number FIVE: "Titan is the largest moon in the Solar System". LOL! Maybe my knowledge is out-of-date, but Ganimedes is still the largest!

That's all. I hope this gets any comments.
Serpens

1- Don't they often call Titan a "planet sized" moon? Maybe that's why they goofed.
2- Either that's another example of people thinking the Milky Way is the Solar System, either they're thinking way too highly of our tiny neighborhood. :)
3- See above, and change "Milky Way" by "universe" :)
4- I did hear MANY TIMES that Titan was the only moon with an atmosphere! It's not a common mistake :-? But it's pretty much the only one with, as Nineplanets.org says "a significant atmosphere". Confuzzled again?
5- That one! I feel pretty stupid, because I always thought Titan was the biggest until recently! I blame my old out of date Atari game I still play with, Halley Project. 8)