PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter's Red Spot-what if?

RodHic
2010-Dec-02, 11:08 PM
g

korjik
2010-Dec-02, 11:15 PM
Minimum collision speed is of the order of tens of kilometers per second. Moon would probably penetrate very deep into the atmosphere then explode.

RodHic
2010-Dec-02, 11:50 PM
That response makes me glad I didn't spend too much time thinking about this one! ;) Atmospheric friction on entry would play havoc!

Jim
2010-Dec-05, 06:54 PM
RodHic, are you really proposing an ATM idea you are willing to defend, or is this just speculation?

RodHic
2010-Dec-05, 08:37 PM
Just speculation, but obviously against the mainstream thinking so I posted here.

antoniseb
2010-Dec-07, 05:22 PM
For something like this, you'd post it in ATM as a hypothesis, defend the idea to the degree that you can, and see the reasons that it might or might not work. In this case, it would probably be resolved in well less than 30 days. There's no shame in proposing an idea, and then later agreeing that it was not workable.

forrest noble
2010-Dec-09, 02:55 AM
RodHic,

Jupiter's Red Spot-what if?

Something seems to have been dropped from this thread, such as the Opening Post :), "what if" : "g"
which leaves a lot to the imagination :razz:

I remember there was something to it other than the "g" that now remains :think:

Something like a comet or moon crashing into Jupiter creating a several hundred or thousands of year old storm vortex that we now call the "red spot" :confused:

In any event I do like korjik's answer :)

WayneFrancis
2010-Dec-09, 03:25 AM
g

That is just ridiculous! :P