PDA

View Full Version : DR. ALEXEY N. DMITRIEV* (who is this person...)

carolyn
2004-Mar-27, 08:26 AM
http://tmgnow.com/repository/global/planetophysical.html

PLANETOPHYSICAL STATE OF

THE EARTH AND LIFE

By DR. ALEXEY N. DMITRIEV*

Published in Russian, IICA Transactions, Volume 4, 1997

*Professor of Geology and Mineralogy, and Chief Scientific Member,

United Institute of Geology, Geophysics, and Mineralogy,

Siberian Department of Russian Academy of Sciences.

Expert on Global Ecology, and Fast -Processing Earth Events.

Well I do not know if the above link will work, but it comes from kent steadmans site so you could try there if you are interested. But I would like some more knowledgable feed back on this please.

It has peaked my interest because it rang a dim and distant bell, I remember watching an episode of Blue peter (a childrends programe in the uk which has been on the air for decades) this episode was about space, the bit that stuck in my brain - and which bizzarly reserfaced last week :o - was that one of the presenters said that the earth would start to pass through an arm of the milky way in about 40 years time, well the 40 years is up and that is about now (ish)

so imagen my surprise when I come across this paper! - which seems to be about earth travelling through an arm of the milky way (not that you could disern that from the title of the piece) - i have seen little about this subject before and am interested on your collective thoughts on the matter.

and yes I know that kent's site is a woo woo site, so we will just gloss over that one ok and focus on the auther of the artical and his creds.

so who is

By DR. ALEXEY N. DMITRIEV*

and what do you all think of his artical...

I am off to re read just to make sure I did not miss read...

ed 1
thought I would add this, incase the link does not work, it may explain why the artical peaked my interest.

Summary Paragraph

Current PlanetoPhysical alterations of the Earth are becoming irreversible. Strong evidence exists that these transformations are being caused by highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space which have broken into the interplanetary area of our Solar System. This "donation" of energy is producing hybrid processes and excited energy states in all planets, as well as the Sun. Effects here on Earth are to be found in the acceleration of the magnetic pole shift, in the vertical and horizontal ozone content distribution, and in the increased frequency and magnitude of significant catastrophic climatic events. There is growing probability that we are moving into a rapid temperature instability period similar to the one that took place 10,000 years ago. The adaptive responses of the biosphere, and humanity, to these new conditions may lead to a total global revision of the range of species and life on Earth. It is only through a deep understanding of the fundamental changes taking place in the natural environment surrounding us that politicians, and citizens a like, will be able to achieve balance with the renewing flow of PlanetoPhysical states and processes.

for instance what does anisotropic interstellar space mean? I need to know :o

TriangleMan
2004-Mar-27, 08:09 PM
A websearch on the name hit on all sorts of woo-woo sites (millenium group, zetatalk, crop circle promoters . . .etc.) but I did find one physics article written by an Alexey Dmitriev, on semiconductors:

J. Appl. Phys. 86(6) 3241 (15 Sep 1999)

I don't know if it's the same person and I couldn't tell you what the article was about.

Rc2000
2004-Mar-28, 01:30 AM
Okay, I'm not much up on a lot of science, but something just sounds very wrong here.
For instance ---

---PlanetoPhysical alterations
---highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space
---hybrid processes and excited energy states in all planets, as well as the Sun
---acceleration of the magnetic pole shift, in the vertical and horizontal ozone content distribution

"Each living representative on Earth will be getting a thorough "examination," or "quality control inspection," to determine it's ability to comply with these new conditions."

"It is only through a deep understanding of the fundamental changes taking place in the natural environment surrounding us that politicians, and citizens a like, will be able to achieve balance with the renewing flow of PlanetoPhysical states and processes."

It all sounds just so --- metaphysical --- ya know. :roll:

Rc

Ut
2004-Mar-28, 03:31 AM
Each living representative on Earth will be getting a thorough "examination," or "quality control inspection," to determine it's ability to comply with these new conditions.

:o

Does this remind anyone else of Poland, circa 1939?

Hutch
2004-Mar-28, 03:52 AM
I am not a scientist and never will pretend to be one, but I have a suspicison that this doesn't hold much water for the following reasons"

1. The Terms RC2000 mention sound more like Star Trek than a real research paper. I scanned the rest of the paper and it sounds about the same.
2. About 15-20% of his references are Science News, Popular science, and New Scientist, all reputable magazines but hardly refereeded journals. Most of the other references are Russian and I cannot determine their validity.
3. The paper is hosted by the Millenium Group, which publishes papers that could be said to be "on the fringe" of science, IMHO. It does not appear to havew been published in any refereeded Journal.

I'll await someone who knows more than I to comment, but I would eye this skepitically until someone can explain it without making it sound like a Government Report.

carolyn
2004-Mar-28, 07:35 AM
A websearch on the name hit on all sorts of woo-woo sites (millenium group, zetatalk, crop circle promoters . . .etc.) but I did find one physics article written by an Alexey Dmitriev, on semiconductors:

J. Appl. Phys. 86(6) 3241 (15 Sep 1999)

I don't know if it's the same person and I couldn't tell you what the article was about.

this is the problem. we do searches and find woo woo stuff, so think hmmm 8) but I suppose he may be a working scientist at the geological institiute (or where ever) - which is not to say that means his work is acredeted by that fact nessasarily - .

thanks for all the imput guys. I agree with Rc2000 something feels wrong when you read the artical.

off to do some more googling -- I will track him down............. :-k

beskeptical
2004-Mar-28, 08:12 AM
http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/prophecy/comet_lee.htm

Here's a site found by googling the other author, Earl whatsisname, that should shed some light on the matter.

carolyn
2004-Mar-28, 09:07 AM
ah ha! the wonders of googling on a sunday morn

I give you

http://mig.phys.msu.su/lt/staff.htm

Interesting, when you click on most of the staff names you get info on them when you click onto DR. ALEXEY N. DMITRIEV* you get

This computer belongs to the Laboratory of Condensed Matter Theory
at the Department of Low Temperature Physics, the Faculty of Physics,
M.V.Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, 119899, RUSSIA.

The head of the group is Prof. Alexey Dmitriev
[tel. (7-095) 939 59 05, fax (7-095) 932 88 76].

Junior researcher:
Mrs. Olga Pupysheva.

Main research directions of the group include:

charge carrier kinetics in semiconductors, non-equilibrium phenomena and relaxation, high fields, electron-hole recombination;
low dimensional structures;
semiconductor optics.

Hmmm :-k he has this Home page of Prof. A.V.Andrianov (contains many useful links and interesting materials). but it does not work #-o hang on---- being a bit :o now as that is a different name #-o isn't it!

ed for being stupid :oops:

Cougar
2004-Mar-28, 04:19 PM
Current PlanetoPhysical alterations of the Earth are becoming irreversible.
Is this just a bad job of translating Russian to English? "Planetophysical" is not a word. I get the feeling that the author is inserting a lot of "technical sounding" words so he might sound "smarter." Or something....

Strong evidence exists that these transformations are being caused by highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space which have broken into the interplanetary area of our Solar System.
If you can get past the alarmist language, this does remind me of a recent thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11989) that discussed the natural phenomenon of solar and planetary magnetic pole reversals AND the apparent fact that our solar system, in its galactic orbit, seems to be entering a region of space with a higher concentration of dust and gas. The magnetic fields usually serve as shields, deflecting such particles, and at any rate they don't make it through our thick atmosphere, so many of the claims in the OP summary are definitely exaggerated and alarmist. Still, as Anthrage informs us in that other thread, there is the possibility for some effects resulting from this change in our solar system's environment.

.,...Effects here on Earth are to be found in the.... magnitude of significant catastrophic climatic events.
Don't think so. I think this steps over the line of possibility.

There is growing probability that we are moving into a rapid temperature instability period similar to the one that took place 10,000 years ago.
This may be true regardless of how much dust our solar system encounters in its orbit around the galaxy.

The adaptive responses of the biosphere, and humanity, to these new conditions may lead to a total global revision of the range of species and life on Earth.
Now, that's alarmist. Of course, anybody can say that something bad MAY happen as the result of most anything.

It is only through a deep understanding of the fundamental changes taking place in the natural environment surrounding us that politicians, and citizens a like, will be able to achieve balance with the renewing flow of PlanetoPhysical states and processes.
The "spiritual" editor must have added this to the article to better resonate with the known "new age" audience. This is way bogus.

Rc2000
2004-Mar-28, 05:07 PM
Cougar, I remember seeing that thread about us moving into thicker dust or something like that.
Might sound like an odd question, but it's never stopped me before. http://www.monsters4u3.com/gifs/bigsmile.gif
If the dust was thick enough to cause any problems at all, wouldn't we be able to see it some? I mean, on a clear night, wouldn't the night sky be a bit lighter from sunlight shining on the interstellar dust?
And besides, there's the solar wind. Wouldn't it pretty much clear a path for us?
Not sure about these, but at first thought, they sounded a bit reasonable. I might be wrong though. http://www.monsters4u3.com/gifs/duck.gif

AHA! I had this on my mind also. Did some searching and found that the solar system itself has a bow shock like I found out Jupiter and Earth has. Anything with a magnetosphere has a bow shock, at least best I understand it.
Found out about it here ---
Mystery: Is Voyager at Solar System's Edge? (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/voyager_mystery_031105.html)

Here's a resized picture from the article.

http://monsters4u3.com/rcart/ba/ssbowshock.jpg

Wouldn't that bow shock also deflect dust or even radiation to some degree? I'm just guessing on this.

Rc

Cougar
2004-Mar-28, 07:59 PM
...the solar system itself has a bow shock like I found out Jupiter and Earth has. Anything with a magnetosphere has a bow shock, at least best I understand it.... Wouldn't that bow shock also deflect dust or even radiation to some degree?
Yes, yes. But I suggest looking through Anthrage's very informative posts regarding this point. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11989) Among many more details, those postings state:

The sun has it's own field of course. It also sends out a strong range of radation and particles, constituting the solar wind. This all combines to manifest our star's influence in the larger interstellar environment, with the very definition of what is interstellar and what is intersolar being defined by the boundary of that influence - something called the heliopause. Everything within that boundary, the heliosphere, is protected. However, the location of or distance to the heliosphere is not certain, nor is it believed to be static.

There are 3 main variables which determine the strength and location of this barrier, and thus how much radiation and other material makes it into our solar system. The nature of the interlopers - strength of the radiation, density of the dust or gas - the strength of the solar wind, and the strength and alignment of our sun's field.

In the latter case, we have some recent data showing some suprising facts about this system and it's dynamics. As mentioned, the sun has an 11-year cycle, with the sun's magnetic field having a related cycle of roughly 22 years. At the peak of solar max, our sun's field polarity reverses, and during that time is disordered and less effective. As it happens, following the last reversal, our sun's field did not flip completely - so instead of running north-south, it is actually aligned along the solar system's equator. This causes it to be less effective, to a measurable degree.

Since the late 1990's, the levels of interstellar dust have tripled. Rather, that was so for measurements taken by the Ulysses solar probe, in 2000. by the year 2012, these levels will have increased to perhaps 10 times what they were in '97. There was a time when it was believed interstellar dust could not penetrate to the inner solar system, but this has been found to be possible, and indeed, happening....
As Anthrage points out, this is not something to get alarmed about, but something to keep an eye on and continue doing research on.

Rc2000
2004-Mar-29, 12:45 AM
Thanks Cougar,
I remember reading over it some a while back, but not close enough.
Call me a day late and a dollar short. (grin)

Rc

carolyn
2004-Mar-29, 05:17 AM
You are both stars :D I will read anthrage's posts I will also re read the artical, but basicly, what you are saying is that in essence the info is right, but, that the auther has been

1. badly translated -(by the Millenium group - i think)
2. Alarmist, maybe because of 1. ?

good - because I was begining to think I had drempt that part of my childhood!

will coment when I have read more.

Anthrage
2004-Mar-29, 11:35 AM
Hi all. At first glance, I would have to agree with Carolyn's assessment - at least as regards the material in question. I'll have a russian friend go through the original text (if I can find it), but being familiar with the 'translation effect' from my position in a bilingual city (english/french), I would not be surprised at the extent of variance in tone and detail from the russian verison which I expect is present. Certainly, the platform on which these particular words are being read is itself a factor, without question.

That said, if you boil the area of discussion down to it's basic points, they are valid, and of active interest in more conventional and legitimate areas of inquiry. Basic points I would extract:

-Earth, and the solar system, exist in the greater context of a cosmic environment
-Natural processes which occur on large scales of time and space (distance) do effect our environment
-Effects may manifest in a variety of ways, impacting a broad range of terrestrial and heliospheric (basically, anything in the solar system - in fact, defining what IS the solar system) processes
-These effects can be measured and researched
-Measuring and researching these effects, given their potential impact, is important if not vital

As many an educator will tell you, the sun is the primary source of energy for life on earth - directly or indirectly. Without that energy, there is no life. Indeed, one could take that to a more general and fundamental level, and say that it is radiation - in all it's forms - which has the greatest impact, with the sources of this radiation being not only our own star, the sun, but all such sources in the universe; past and present. It can truly be said that without the furnaces in which the heavier elements were formed, we would not exist. To look beyond our atmosphere for vital influences on life - either positive or negative - is quite reasonable, and indeed necessary. As unpleasant or unconventional as it may sound, we are of cosmic origins, and that is the ultimate environment in which we live.

So in this respect, I would have to say that the fundamental message of the material in question is correct - however ill-stated it may have been.

Here are some examples of more accepted agents of research and discussion, on specific aspects of the attributes of the cosmic environment and it's past and potential effects on the solar environment in general or the earth's biosphere in particular:

Species-impacting Cosmic Events and Environments (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/06jan_bubble.htm)

Potentially-hostile Galactic Evironment (http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/21173?fulltext=true)

Weakened Magnetic Field (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/earth_magnetic_031212.html)

Government program to predict future human life-affecting changes through cosmic processes (http://www.igpp.lanl.gov)

Now, I have gone out of my way to label these links in as 'frightening' a way as possible...as many of these fringe-type platforms no doubt do, to serve their interests or agendas...but strictly speaking, all of the above is factually true. In the case of the latter link, the 'headline' is paraphrased directly from the program's mission statement. These concerns are legitimate, and there are many related research programs, some specifically targetting the area of discussion here.

As with many an area of scientific inquiry, especially where new or unproven theories are concerned, there is difference of opinion and a good deal of uncertainty that manifests in a range of interpretation. It is very difficult to prove a great number of things - we can positively identify the existence of a particular piece of evidence in and of itself, but cannot always prove that it is evidence of the specific action or process we are investigating. However, the collection of as much evidence as possible should still be pursued...

I myself find it quite surprising that these programs are ongoing, that there is a high level awareness ('a deep understanding of the fundamental changes taking place in the natural environment surrounding us that politicians, and citizens a like, will be able to achieve balance?') of the true nature of our context in the cosmic environment, and the various aspects of that. I suppose the best comparison might be the question of global warming and overall climate change - despite that this itself may be looked to as a piece of evidence in relation to a greater process - and the related inquiries, debates and discussions. One can question the conclusions drawn from the investigations. One can question the tone used in certain alarmist proclaimations. One can question the dire predictions and dark fortellings of a depressing or daamged future...but the data is beyond question, the facts are sound. As always, it is the interpretation that is problematic.

Are there observed 'PlanetoPhysical alterations of the Earth'? Well, yes. Does 'Strong evidence exist(s) that these transformations are being caused by highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space which have broken into the interplanetary area of our Solar System.'? Well, no. Not strong evidence. Evidence however, does exist - of many different types, potentially proving many different things. That 'there is growing probability that we are moving into a rapid temperature instability period similar to the one that took place 10,000 years ago.' is one possible conclusion, that you or I may not agree with. There are quite a few others. Unfortunately, it is a consequence of this stage of coming into a new awareness and the resulting new knowledge of our reality, combined with the nature of our reality itself. A reality that includes things like the millenium group, and people like woo-woos. :)

My advice to anyone who, like Carolyn, 'needs to know' - and we all need to know, whether we know it or not - is to not rely on the chosen expression of a particular interpretation of a certain example of evidence of some kind or another...examine the evidence yourself, as directly as possible, and draw your own conclusion.

For myself, the conclusion about this particular issue is that yes, it is something of concern. A concern of a category which includes the potential hazard of asteroid/comet impacts...something which has also more meaningfully appeared on the government's radar. In some ways we are like primitives who are realizing for the first time that we are neither existentially isolated or eternal. Like the ice ages of our planet's past, people living at that time lived or died by their recognition and adaptation to the new reality. The same is true today for populations in different parts of the world, as it is for the world's population itself.

Certain events being heralded seem outlandish and absurd, when compared to the things we have experienced directly in our own lifetime, or indirectly through the lifetime of recorded history...but the reality is, we are but a single movement of the second hand in the context of the clock of some of the natural processes of the universe in which we live. Time scales of millions, hundreds of millions, even billions of years. It is no surprise that the science of the elements of these processes is often 'polluted' by spirituality and philosophy - two things very crucial to the examination of existence; and that is what in a real way these 'discoveries', these awakenings, are bringing us a better understanding of. Our existence.

My personal alarm level is the product of the following equation - What's the worst thing that can happen if we do nothing, divided by, What can I do? Informed awareness is the first step in performing that calculation, and regardless of the source, or how the information is presented, if it leads you to 'good data', then it itself is a good thing. When it comes to the various potential dangers out there, ultimately, there is no such thing as bad 'publicity'. :)

If I find anything out about this Dmitriev fellow, or get a copy of the original russian text, I'll let you all know.

Cougar
2004-Mar-29, 01:51 PM
Thanks again, Anthrage, for another informative post.

I continue to have some skepticism about a particular aspect of this 'cosmic environment' phenomenon, however. It doesn't seem physically accurate to imagine our solar system, in its orbit around the galaxy center, to be traveling through stationary clouds of gas and dust. If the clouds were stationary, they would have fallen into the galactic center long ago due to gravity. So in order to retain their radial distance, these clouds must also be orbiting the center, just like our solar system. In fact, if I understand it correctly, measurements of the orbital dynamics of such clouds is one of the key methods for determining galactic rotation curves. So even if our orbiting solar system 'catches up to' such a cloud, or a cloud catches up to us, the relative velocities of the potentially damaging particles involved would be considerably and importantly LESS than if the full galactic orbital velocity of our solar system was slamming into a stationary fog bank of dust and particles, would it not?

Anthrage
2004-Mar-29, 02:40 PM
I think the important things to keep in mind are that the system is more dynamic than uniform rotation would suggest, and a 'full force slamming' is not required for measurable, and harmful, effects. The suggested analogy is also flawed, since it is not impact and the associated effects that are involved. Picture a stationary automobile in a snowstorm, and one moving directly opposite the apparent source of the falling snow. The amount of snow the car is amidst is more in either scenario than if it were not snowing at all. :)

There's also the famous urban legend as regards whether one is hit by more raindrops if one runs or not...some interesting experiments have actually been done to test this theory - it's amazing what we humans do with our free time. ;)

At large time scales, relative motion alone is not the only dynamic. Cosmic events such as supernovas and massive star formation, to name just two, will produce changes in galactic topography that are not dependant - and can in fact counter - that which is based on orbital dynamics and gravity. Here is a (http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetailNoFrame?assetId=20976) basic (http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetailNoFrame?assetId=20972) description (http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetailNoFrame?assetId=20975) of some of the elements involved, from the American Scientist article I referenced in a previous post.

The other point is the complex nature of the 'cosmic environment' - gas and dust are not the only elements. Various types of radiation - collectively referred to sometimes as 'cosmic rays' - are of course another, and aside from our passing through regions with different properties in that respect than what we are traveling through now, the heliosphere, which is a major part of our protection system, will itself be affected by the higher density.

We are orbiting the galactic center at a speed of about 0.1%c, the speed of light. This speed, while considerable by terrestrial standards, is not as significant when compared to other cosmic speeds and that which travels at them - radiation of course being the most obvious example. :)

I don't want anyone to feel that I am suggesting all of this is well understood. It isn't. That's precisely the reason why there are various investigations and research programs underway which are focused or touching on these issues. Despite the details however, there are some certainties - and those alone are definitely of interest.

I was thinking earlier of a simple way to put it. In essence, one might look at it as being similar to the existence of seasons on earth. The solar system, and the earth, experiences 'galactic seasons', as we travel through the interstellar galactic medium. Imagine trying to convince a terrestrial organism (or a society of same, complete with written records!) who's lifespan was so short as to experience only one season, that it's entire world would change with significant life-affecting effects...I suspect it would be pretty skeptical as well. :)

And rightly so. If it weren't for skepticism, most of us wouldn't know what to believe. 8-[

carolyn
2004-Mar-29, 04:41 PM
Thanks again, Anthrage, for another informative post.

I continue to have some skepticism about a particular aspect of this 'cosmic environment' phenomenon, however. It doesn't seem physically accurate to imagine our solar system, in its orbit around the galaxy center, to be traveling through stationary clouds of gas and dust. If the clouds were stationary, they would have fallen into the galactic center long ago due to gravity. So in order to retain their radial distance, these clouds must also be orbiting the center, just like our solar system. In fact, if I understand it correctly, measurements of the orbital dynamics of such clouds is one of the key methods for determining galactic rotation curves. So even if our orbiting solar system 'catches up to' such a cloud, or a cloud catches up to us, the relative velocities of the potentially damaging particles involved would be considerably and importantly LESS than if the full galactic orbital velocity of our solar system was slamming into a stationary fog bank of dust and particles, would it not?

maybe it's a little like - big wheels, little wheels, the big moving more slowely than the little :D

Just typed tones more than the above but pressed the wrong button and lost it all. :evil: so will say thanks to all for their thoughts, I will read the articals and get back to you. =D> yeh... i will now press submit before i do something stupid again.

Maha Vailo
2004-Apr-02, 08:33 PM
Each living representative on Earth will be getting a thorough "examination," or "quality control inspection," to determine it's ability to comply with these new conditions.

:o

Does this remind anyone else of Poland, circa 1939?

How so? I mean, what does invasion have anything to do with that? :-?

- Maha "how did this guy get past quality control?" Vailo

jambro
2004-May-19, 05:36 AM
i'm quite new to this, am impressed by some of the knowledge stated herein about astrophysics, but as a geographer/earth scientist having some experience with Russian /Soviet colleagues and their theoritical frames and language, bad translation is the norm. Moreover, if you look at the MSU physics faculty they almost dwarf MIT (USA) in range and scope, while their research seems more esoteric as it is less product driven and framed within an Anglo-Saxon psychological and linguistic/syntax derived research paradigm.

My own interests started in the 1960's studying V. I. Vernadsky's work (1855-1945) whose research opened up physical studies of crystalography and radiography, and effected a pioneering effort in biosphere studies (1922-23) recently translated and annotated by seme of the world's foremost contemporary scholars in this field.

Vernadsky's interest in the interstices between matter and energy, and between biological and inorganic growth (crystals) led to many strands of Russian and Soviet research into cosmic energy, its space-time distribution and impacts on planetary activities, including biospheric and human evolution.

As I have litle formal knowledge about cosmology or astrophysics, I would appreciate any comments or information about how these extra heliospheric factors affect electromagnetism and shifts in earth equilibrium that we attribute to surface based (geographical) models of climate change.

From an earth science perspective, the actual changes Dimitriev proposes are sound, but i do not know how strong are the linkages to his proposition of an extra-heliospheric causal chain.

thank you

jb (UBC)

Jigsaw
2004-May-20, 02:32 AM
Allow me to be the first to say, "Welcome to the BABB", Jambro. That's one of the best "first posts" I've seen in a long time. Hope you'll stick around.

Gullible Jones
2004-May-20, 03:03 AM
Hmm?

---PlanetoPhysical alterations
---highly charged material and energetic non-uniformity's in anisotropic interstellar space
---hybrid processes and excited energy states in all planets, as well as the Sun
---acceleration of the magnetic pole shift, in the vertical and horizontal ozone content distribution

Wow. This is bad physics if I've ever seen it.

carolyn
2004-May-20, 06:08 AM
Allow me to be the first to say, "Welcome to the BABB", Jambro. That's one of the best "first posts" I've seen in a long time. Hope you'll stick around.

I would like to second that :D

Nice to meet you.

3d-vd
2004-May-20, 10:23 PM
The infamous R.C.Hoagland seems to be all over this like stink on ships.
Part of his newest "paper" say we are moving into a denser part of the galaxy. Here you go!http://www.enterprisemission.com/_articles/05-14-2004/Interplanetary_1.htm
He makes some claims there about the planets and the Sun that I don't feel llike checking on so if anyone knows please post.

I guess he's shilling for the new disaster flick.

carolyn
2004-May-21, 06:09 AM
The infamous R.C.Hoagland seems to be all over this like stink on ships.
Part of his newest "paper" say we are moving into a denser part of the galaxy. Here you go!http://www.enterprisemission.com/_articles/05-14-2004/Interplanetary_1.htm
He makes some claims there about the planets and the Sun that I don't feel llike checking on so if anyone knows please post.

I guess he's shilling for the new disaster flick.

I happen to have a copy of the book refered to by RCH, :oops: (My mother brought it for me - honest) it is propably the worst written book I have ever read, I soon lost site of any content, I was to busy screaming at the prose! never made it past the first chapter. (Someone needs to start a writing school for woo woos.) :-k

may read throught the site over the weekend if I get the time.

CharlesEGrant
2004-May-22, 07:37 PM
Moreover, if you look at the MSU physics faculty they almost dwarf MIT (USA) in range and scope, while their research seems more esoteric as it is less product driven and framed within an Anglo-Saxon psychological and linguistic/syntax derived research paradigm.

I think there is some confusion here. The article that inspired this thread was by Dr. Alexey N. Dmitriev who claims to be associated with the United Institute of Geology, Geophysics, and Mineralogy, Siberian Department of Russian Academy of Sciences. Another post speculated that this might be Dr. Alexey Dmitriev a solid state physicst at MSU, but then corrected itself, because that gentelman is Alexey V., not Alexey N..

I ran into this paper last year when Zetatalk rekindled my (morbid) interest in fringe science. There is in fact a United institute of Geology and Geophysics with a web site here (http://www-sbras.nsc.ru/eng/sbras/copan/uiggm_main.html). I couldn't find any sign of Dr. Dmitriev at that web site. I also checked for Dr. Dmitriev in the Science Citation Index. There were several papers by Alexey V., but as I recall I found only one mention of Alexy N, it was in a technical report about petroleum exploration, which would be consistent with his claimed institutional affilation.

I want to put in a plug here for the Science Citation Index. This is a terrific research tool that catalogs a significant fraction of the refereed scientific journals. It also cross-indexes citations, so you can find all the papers that have cited a given paper. A side effect is that it makes it pretty easy to check someone's bona fides. You should be able to access it at your local college or univeristy library.

carolyn
2004-May-23, 05:22 AM
Hello charles, nice to meet you :D

thankyou for your input. Is the Science Citation Index A US thing or is it international, I have never heard of it before? I do not live in the US so may not have access to it.

I often wonder if scientists know they are being quoted (mis quoted) by woo woo groups? and how they would feel being highjacked in such a way, hmmm :cry:

CharlesEGrant
2004-May-23, 06:24 AM
Hi Carolyn,

Is the Science Citation Index A US thing or is it international, I have never heard of it before? I do not live in the US so may not have access to it.

It is a product of an American publishing company Thomson ISI (http://www.isinet.com/) but I think you'll find it in any major university library. They cover journals from around the world, but the journals do have to provide English language titles, abstracts, and key word lists. They currently track about 8500 journals, some going back to 1945.