PDA

View Full Version : Really quick Math syntax quest (LaTeX)

Hungry4info
2010-Apr-11, 02:37 PM
What's the LaTeX syntax for the 'less/greater than approximately'? (i.e. ≳)

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-11, 02:49 PM
What's the LaTeX syntax for the 'less/greater than approximately'? (i.e. ≳)
As far as I know, that sign is not present in the default TeX math font (cmsy10). It is, however, in the AMSFonts package.

You can find that here: http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/amsfonts along with documentation on how to use it.

grant hutchison
2010-Apr-11, 02:49 PM
\lesssim
\gtrsim

There's an extensive reference list here (www.bitjungle.com/isoent/index_files/isoent-ref.pdf) (500KB pdf), which also tells you the LaTeX resource required.

Grant Hutchison

Hungry4info
2010-Apr-11, 02:53 PM
Ah, neat. Thank-you both.

tdvance
2010-Apr-11, 04:11 PM
I've found it useful to just purchase a copy of The LaTeX Companion, which has this and sections on many major packages often used in LaTeX.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-11, 06:44 PM
\lesssim
\gtrsim

There's an extensive reference list here (www.bitjungle.com/isoent/index_files/isoent-ref.pdf) (500KB pdf), which also tells you the LaTeX resource required.

Grant Hutchison
Grant is of course right (as if that ever needed to be confirmed), but that package mainly leads back to the ASMFonts (among others). The macro package is very useful, however.

They offer two futher symbols (accessible via the control sequences \gtrapprox and \lessapprox) which print a full \approx under the lesser/greater symbol and not just a \sim.

tdvance
2010-Apr-11, 11:56 PM
AMSFonts, actually--the American Mathematical Society did a pretty good job of adding what was missing from the original TeX---symbols mathematicians use all the time on blackboard or when writing by hand (which is a moving target---we invent new ones all the time, or steal from more and more living and dead languages), but which weren't already in the usual math fonts. My thesis advisor, like me, was an amateur musician, so he used music symbols for some things. Luckily, AMSFonts provides some of those.

jokergirl
2010-Apr-12, 09:23 AM
This is the site that you (and everyone else using LaTeX) want:

http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

Just draw your character in the field and it will tell you what code you're looking for.
(it's \gtrsim in this case, first hit)

;)

tdvance
2010-Apr-12, 07:07 PM
neat!

In the irony department, I drew a smiley face. The results shown (top 5 matches) did not include a smiley face, but #2 was a frown face! #s 3, 4, and 5 were all copyright symbols, #1 a capital Theta.