Asteroid Mappers: Tutorials
The Vesta Mappers interface and task really is what it sounds like: We simply have you map the surface of Vesta.
Different Parts of the Interface
The above image is what you will be presented with during the main tasks for Vesta Mappers. The numbers below refer to the numbers in the image.
- This is an image taken of the surface of Mercury. It is what we want you to map out for us. Some images have a black edge, as shown here, and that is okay.
- This yellow marker indicates the direction from which sunlight is coming.
- This is probably the tool you'll use the most because it lets you mark craters. When this screen grab was taken, that was the tool that was selected, indicated by the light background. To use the Mark Craters tool, select it, and then draw on the image. Start at the center of a crater you want to mark, hold the mouse button down, and drag until you reach the edge of the crater. If the crater is smaller than our minimum size, the crater you draw will remain red and will disappear when you release the mouse button. If it's big enough to be counted, it will turn green.
- "Delete Marking" does what it sounds like -- if you have this tool selected, move your mouse over the feature you have marked, click, and you will erase it.
- Mark Feature lets you put down a flag on the image in the location of a feature that you think is particularly interesting and allows you to choose from a menu of possibilities.
- Mark Boulders allows you to mark large rocks or boulders on the surface. See the image below for an example, pointed out with a yellow arrow. You can tell a boulder from a crater by the orientation of the shadows as they are reversed from those of the craters. (The light/dark are left/right for craters in this image, whereas boulders and other raised surfaces are right/left.
- "Turn Markings Off" will make your markings go invisible so you can see the underlying image again. This is useful if you think there may be a feature under something you've already marked. When clicked, this will change to "Turn Markings On" to return to the previous state.
- These are extra options that we ask you to choose before clicking the "Done Working" button for that image. Check "Odd Features" if there is something odd in the field that you have not already marked. Check the "Bad Image" box if the image is grainy, black, distorted, or has some other problem with it. That way we can remove it.
- Once you're done marking everything in the image, click this button to save your work and move on to the next one!
Features to Mark
A guide to all the features you can mark is available here.